Af/Pak & Other News (8/13/2012)

22 views
Skip to first unread message

dump...@hotmail.com

unread,
Aug 13, 2012, 12:30:01 PM8/13/12
to
Bomb in Afghanistan kills 5, including 2 officials:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/afghanistan/story/2012-08-13/afghanistan-attack/57025160/1



New Afghan police attack on NATO forces; no deaths:

http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/2012/08/13/new-afghan-police-attack-nato-forces-deaths/e82K68voZEzykThkbYBoeP/story.html




Afghans met Taliban leader in Pakistan jail: Afghan official:

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/International/2012/Aug-13/184482-afghans-met-taliban-leader-in-pakistan-jail-afghan-official.ashx#axzz23RLiJ7K4




Observations on Taliban video 'welcoming' rogue ANA soldiers:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matrix/archives/2012/08/observations_of_taliban_video.php



Seal Afghan Border to Fight Haqqanis, Pakistan Tells U.S.:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120813/DEFREG02/308130001/Seal-Afghan-Border-Fight-Haqqanis-Pakistan-Tells-U-S-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE



Indian low-cost airline starts Kabul flights:

http://news.malaysia.msn.com/business/indian-low-cost-airline-starts-kabul-flights-3




US says has 'eyes' inside Iran nuclear program:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/US_says_has_eyes_inside_Iran_nuclear_program_999.html




Al Qaeda claims Iraq attacks, Baghdad anti-terrorism HQ assault:

http://af.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idAFBRE87C0OC20120813




Syrian pilot ejects, rebels say they downed plane:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/08/13/syrian-pilot-ejects-rebels-say-downed-plane/



Syria's UN human rights envoy defects:

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4268076,00.html



Syrians wage frenzied propaganda war on social media:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Syrians_wage_frenzied_propaganda_war_on_social_media_999.html




Northern ‘Liberated’ Syrian City Lives in Post-Assad Mode:

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/international/northern-liberated-syrian-city-lives-in-post-assad-mode/538011




CIA polices weapons entry to Syria as spooks invade Turkey:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/cia-polices-weapons-entry-to-syria-as-spooks-invade-turkey/story-fnb64oi6-1226448705909




IDF seeking to purchase new portable forts:

http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Article.aspx?id=281003



Sons of Sa’ar? Israel’s Next Generation Frigates:

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/an-lcs-for-israel-04065/



'We may have to destroy parts of Lebanon to stop rockets':

http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Article.aspx?id=281066



Hidden History: America’s Secret Drone War in Africa:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/08/somalia-drones/



Pirates grow wealthy — and get own letterhead:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48644459/ns/world_news-africa/



Germany seizes Russian engines destined for Algeria, India:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27207:germany-seizes-russian-engines-destined-for-algeria-india&catid=56:diplomacy-a-peace&Itemid=111



Swedish minister calls Saudi Arabia a dictatorship:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gzOvbBUYNgPRLOhTgWFldvvhSjHA?docId=CNG.e73eac565bdf00246753ad8987decb91.6f1




Russia fears Chinese immigration threatens its Far East:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Russia_fears_Chinese_immigration_threatens_its_Far_East_999.html




US Army South, Colombian army kick-off PANAMAX 2012:

http://www.defencetalk.com/us-army-south-colombian-army-kick-off-panamax-2012-44195/




Taiwan Seeking Fewer F-16s From U.S.:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120813/DEFREG03/308130003/Taiwan-Seeking-Fewer-F-16s-From-U-S-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE



Betting Against a Drone Arms Race:

http://nation.time.com/2012/08/13/betting-against-a-drone-arms-race/




Rise Of Robot Boats: How The Navy Might Hunt Sea Mines:

http://defense.aol.com/2012/08/13/rise-of-the-robot-boats-navy-hunts-mines-with-unmanned-vessels/?icid=trending3




Google, Salesforce were allegedly offered 'TrapWire' spy tool:

http://www.zdnet.com/google-salesforce-were-allegedly-offered-trapwire-spy-tool-7000002505/




The Bomber Exchange Program:

http://nation.time.com/2012/08/13/the-bomber-exchange-program/




SolomonW

unread,
Aug 14, 2012, 9:27:26 AM8/14/12
to
On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 09:30:01 -0700 (PDT), dump...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Syrian pilot ejects, rebels say they downed plane:
>
> http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/08/13/syrian-pilot-ejects-rebels-say-downed-plane/


Actually it was a L-39

http://air.blastmagazine.com/syria-not-using-migs-to-attack-rebels-jet-seen-attacking-aleppo-is-a-czech-made-trainer/


Syria is using training jets to attack the rebels. Specifically, it is
using the Czech-made Aero L-39 Albatros, a high performance jet trainer
that has been in production for over 40 years and is one of the most
popular training aircraft in the world.

Syria is known to possess several L-39ZA aircraft. The ZA variant is
specifically upgraded for light ground attack. It carries a GsH-23L 23mm
twin canon with 150 rounds and outer pylons that can carry air-to-air
missiles and ground attack munitions. It can carry almost 3,000 lbs. of
munitions.

The L-39ZA is very popular with developing nations as a cheap ground
attacker. It is also used by Algeria, Bulgaria, Cambodia, the Czech
Republic, Nigeria, Thailand and several other air forces around the world.

This has to raise some questions about the capabilities of the Syrian Air
Force. The L-39 is weakly armed compared to its Soviet-built jets. A single
Mig-23 can carry twice as much weaponry as the L-39ZA. An Su-24 ļæ½Fencerļæ½
can carry six times more bombs and missiles than an L-39ZA.

Syria is clearly having difficulty maintaining, arming, and using its more
advanced Russian jets.

Bill

unread,
Aug 14, 2012, 9:44:53 AM8/14/12
to
On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 23:27:26 +1000, SolomonW <Solo...@citi.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 09:30:01 -0700 (PDT), dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> Syrian pilot ejects, rebels say they downed plane:
>>
>> http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/08/13/syrian-pilot-ejects-rebels-say-downed-plane/
>
>
>Actually it was a L-39
>
>http://air.blastmagazine.com/syria-not-using-migs-to-attack-rebels-jet-seen-attacking-aleppo-is-a-czech-made-trainer/
>
>
>Syria is using training jets to attack the rebels. Specifically, it is
>using the Czech-made Aero L-39 Albatros, a high performance jet trainer
>that has been in production for over 40 years and is one of the most
>popular training aircraft in the world.
>
>Syria is known to possess several L-39ZA aircraft. The ZA variant is
>specifically upgraded for light ground attack. It carries a GsH-23L 23mm
>twin canon with 150 rounds and outer pylons that can carry air-to-air
>missiles and ground attack munitions. It can carry almost 3,000 lbs. of
>munitions.
>
>The L-39ZA is very popular with developing nations as a cheap ground
>attacker. It is also used by Algeria, Bulgaria, Cambodia, the Czech
>Republic, Nigeria, Thailand and several other air forces around the world.
>
>This has to raise some questions about the capabilities of the Syrian Air
>Force. The L-39 is weakly armed compared to its Soviet-built jets. A single
>Mig-23 can carry twice as much weaponry as the L-39ZA. An Su-24 �Fencer�
>can carry six times more bombs and missiles than an L-39ZA.
>
>Syria is clearly having difficulty maintaining, arming, and using its more
>advanced Russian jets.

The Syrian airforce has never flown a successful mission except
against badly armed civilians.

The advanced trainer is much easier to fly than a modern full power
strike aircraft, and when you're bombing helpless civilians you want
the safest aircraft you can find because, first of all, it's slow
enough for your inexperienced and badly trained pilots to actually hit
something and, second, if you crash one it's going to make the
papers anyway. You might as well be able to claim it was an unarmed
training flight shot down by dastardly terrorists.

The Indonesians pulled a similar trick in East Timor with the Hawk
aircraft.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages