Pierre Clostermann

Tom Cervo

Sep 7, 2000, 9:07:51 PM9/7/00
Known today as the author of one of the finest of all WW2 flying memoirs, "The
Big Show", Pierre Clostermann has in recent years suffered various allegations
concerning his conduct during and after the war. These seemed to arise after
1982, when some private statements of his concerning the Falklands war became
public. These were repeated in a letter in Scale Aircraft Modelling: that he
had turned his back on the RAF, that he had overclaimed his number of actual
aerial victories and that he was now wearing a medal (the D.S.O.) to which he
was not entitled. Clostermann responded thusly:

Dear Neil
I was a little disgusted by Adam Holden's letter, which you published in SAM
Vol 22/3 May 2000. On principle I never usually answer letters of this sort,
but in view of my Tempest friends from No 3 Squadron, I feel I owe them an
answer.
First the Falklands War. . I never wrote to an Argentinean newspaper, but sent
a letter to a group of Argentinean pilots who were pupils of my son, (then an
Armée de l'Air Mirage pilot), at the Mirage Academy in Dijon. I knew them and
they even came to my house when they were on leave.
When I read the insults printed in the UK tabloid newspaper, the 'SUN',
(greasers, tango dancers etc.), I wanted to tell these 'underdogs' that some
people admired their courage. It is an admitted fact today by all - (including
the US Air Force and the RAF) - that "the courage of your enemy honours you",
and it should not be forgotten. Also, being an MP, with political
responsibilities I am entitled to my opinions. They had nothing to do with my
long-standing friendship and love for the RAF.
Secondly, I was never married to an 'Argentinean beauty'. I have been married
for 53 years to a French girl.
As to my claims, they never changed. They were painted on my Tempest, (see
accompanying photo), (The photograph that Pierre sent with his letter, with him
in the cockpit of 'Le Grand CharIes'~, NV724, JF.E of 3 Sqn., circa July 1945,
showing the twenty-three black crosses representing his accredited confirmed
'kills', and the nine white outline only crosses for 'probables' and 'ground
kills'.) and are substantiated by the following citations and letters. My two
DFC citations, by Air Marshal Slessor and AOC 83 Group Sir Harry Broadhurst,
are enough for me.
"DFC 26/8/44 This officer has displayed outstanding courage and devotion to
duty throughout his operational career in the course of which he has destroyed
at least 11 enemy aircraft and damaged other military objectives".
"Bar 28/5/45 since being awarded the DFC this officer has participated in 70
new operational missions during which he has destroyed a further 12 enemy
aircraft. Throughout, Lieutenant Clostermann has displayed outstanding courage
and ability, and has proved to be a source of inspiration to all".
23 black crosses and 23 confirmed by my DFC citations. I never personally asked
for anything else.
There were I suppose two problems;
ONE, I have been in so many Squadrons; Nos 341, 602, 486, 274, 56, and 3, that
the forms 540 and 541 'Logs of Claims' were quite spread out.
TWO, the French Air Force - as well as the US 8th Fighter Command, considered
aircraft 'probables' and destroyed 'on the ground' as victories. This may
explain some of the ridiculously inflated claims we found in the press, about
me and many American pilots. Not my fault. I tried to rectify often, but to no
avail!
Finally, the statement about the the DSO. I am a Chevalier of the Legion
d'Honneur, which, as a French national, takes precedence over my DFC, and
therefore is worn 'in front' of it. It is red with a blue tinge - as is the
DSO.

Pierre Clostermann
Montesquiei des Albères
France

JDupre5762

Sep 7, 2000, 9:32:50 PM9/7/00

> tomc...@aol.com (Tom Cervo)

Thanks for posting Pierre's letter. I am ashamed to say that I gave at least
some credence to the rumors that had been making the rounds. It was
disappointing as the The Big Show was probably the first book by a non American
WW2 veteran that I read and I enjoyed it then and will probably reread it now
that Mr. Clostermann's letter seems to have set straight the allegations.

John Dupre'

Dudley Henriques

Sep 7, 2000, 9:46:50 PM9/7/00

"JDupre5762" <jdupr...@aol.com> wrote in message

You may rest assured that Mr. Clostermann's claims are legitimate. I
have never met the man personally, but I must know ten different pilots
who have. I have never heard anything even remotely accusatory about his
record.
--
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship

Tom Cervo

Sep 8, 2000, 1:16:24 AM9/8/00
>You may rest assured that Mr. Clostermann's claims are legitimate. I
>have never met the man personally, but I must know ten different pilots
>who have. I have never heard anything even remotely accusatory about his
>record.

Like every other major fighter pilot, PC made claims in good faith that later
proved incorrect, due to the sheer frenzy of air combat--I have read that 15 of
those 24 are definite kills, and the rest definite "probables".
John T. Godfrey has left us an incredible story of how he made it home in a
plane not fit to fly. So did Robert Johnson. No doubt a German pilot claimed
them both, in the same good faith.
I never heard a word against PC until after 1982, and I can imagine why.
As for the "Sun", if you haven't seen it, you can't imagine its vileness.