Af/Pak & Other News (11/20/2011)

dump...@hotmail.com

Nov 20, 2011, 7:17:15 PM11/20/11
Pakistan envoy to U.S. returns home amid memo row:

http://news.yahoo.com/pakistan-envoy-u-returns-home-amid-memo-row-094922140.html;_ylt=ApMjnLvYPt72N_7c6Iq7xWNvaA8F;_ylu=X3oDMTRhN2pzcDZjBGNjb2RlA3ZzaGFyZWFnMgRtaXQDVG9wU3RvcnkgV29ybGRTRgRwa2cDNjBhMTI3ZTktN2Y1OS0zZWUzLTk0YTUtNTQ5NmY3MGNiNTYwBHBvcwMxBHNlYwN0b3Bfc3RvcnkEdmVyAzBjOTQyZmYwLTEzNWQtMTFlMS05ZjdlLTEyNzU3MzlhOWFiZg--;_ylg=X3oDMTFwZTltMWVnBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAN3b3JsZARwdANzZWN0aW9ucwR0ZXN0Aw--;_ylv=3

Afghanistan 'loya jirga' endorses lingering US presense, but in what
form?:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-South-Central/2011/1120/Afghanistan-loya-jirga-endorses-lingering-US-presense-but-in-what-form

Afghanistan Has Big Plans for Biometric Data:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/20/world/asia/in-afghanistan-big-plans-to-gather-biometric-data.html?_r=1

Twitter is new battleground for NATO and Taliban in Afghanistan:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/18/world/asia/afghanistan-twitter-war/index.html

Scandals In The Night:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htsf/articles/20111120.aspx

Other news:

Seif al-Islam Gadhafi won't be given to International Criminal Court,
Libyan official says:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45375101/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/#.TsmE4fI8e50

After Gaddafi son, spy chief captured:

http://news.yahoo.com/gaddafi-son-held-libyans-wrangle-government-132414624.html;_ylt=AoHZgsk97FHYM.bgNuliUX6s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNtYWY0NDIzBG1pdANUb3BTdG9yeSBGUARwa2cDY2U5ZjJhMzUtYWY1MC0zN2VlLWI2MDEtMDE3OWRiYTVhMjBkBHBvcwMxNgRzZWMDdG9wX3N0b3J5BHZlcgM3NGY1Mzg0MC0xM2JkLTExZTEtYjdmZS05OTdkMjg4Y2ViNDU-;_ylg=X3oDMTFvdnRqYzJoBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3

Foreign cyber attack hits US infrastructure: expert:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Foreign_cyber_attack_hits_US_infrastructure_expert_999.html

Six Iraqi pilots in U.S. for F-16 training:

http://alert5.com/2011/11/20/six-iraqi-pilots-in-u-s-for-f-16-training/

New phase in uprising? Syrian rebels launch 1st attack in capital:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45374621/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/#.TsmEz_I8e50

Police burn protest tents to clear Cairo's Tahrir:

http://news.yahoo.com/police-burn-protest-tents-clear-cairos-tahrir-190333136.html;_ylt=ArQRQOreFGe65SPxBBXgUHys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNsY2Q5cHY2BG1pdANUb3BTdG9yeSBGUARwa2cDZjcwNzk3NWYtNWVmMy0zMTVmLTgwNTUtZTdmNzlkZTk2MjExBHBvcwMzBHNlYwN0b3Bfc3RvcnkEdmVyA2U3OTU2NWEwLTEzYmQtMTFlMS1iZmZiLThiMGZlYTIyYTVkZQ--;_ylg=X3oDMTFvdnRqYzJoBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3

Raytheon cleared to export SeaVue radar to Morocco:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21279:raytheon-cleared-to-export-seavue-radar-to-morocco&catid=50:Land&Itemid=105

Haiti president lays out path to restore army:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/18/us-haiti-army-idUSTRE7AH2AK20111118

Iran daily closed over Ahmadinejad aide interview:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45375610/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/#.TsmE9fI8e50

First Look: Electronic Warfare Missile:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_generic.jsp?channel=awst&id=news/awst/2011/11/21/AW_11_21_2011_p29-395318.xml&headline=First%20Look:%20Electronic%20Warfare%20Missile

Army Buyers to Industry: Don’t Bring Us ‘Shiny Objects’:

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=7c996cd7-cbb4-4018-baf8-8825eada7aa2&ID=592

Israeli settlers attack shop of freed Palestinian prisoner in Hebron:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/israeli-settlers-attack-shop-of-freed-palestinian-prisoner-in-hebron-1.396638

Secretive North Korea opens up to cellphones:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45376277/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/#.TsmE_PI8e50

dott.Piergiorgio

Nov 21, 2011, 2:02:50 AM11/21/11
Il 21/11/2011 01:17, dump...@hotmail.com ha scritto:
> Army Buyers to Industry: Don�t Bring Us �Shiny Objects�:
>
> http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=7c996cd7-cbb4-4018-baf8-8825eada7aa2&ID=592

well, reading the article, I think that the best course is Army asking
NSA on the best computing performance needed for $CRYPTO, and asking
clearly no more shining bell above the NSA-suggested performance.

of course, the high-security code (computing sense, that is,
programming) is done by NSA (whose seems by far the most serious of the
various US mil/Intel establishments)

all that, of course, on the basis that on-field tac crypto is aimed at
denying intelligence for the time needed for accomplishing the mission.

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

Andrew Swallow

Nov 21, 2011, 5:22:21 AM11/21/11
On 21/11/2011 00:17, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Seif al-Islam Gadhafi won't be given to International Criminal Court,
> Libyan official says:
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45375101/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/#.TsmE4fI8e50

If Seif al-Islam Gadhafi is not allowed to attend the Seat of the Court
in the Netherlands then the International Criminal Court could use its
powers under Article 3.3 to hold the hearing in Libya. The Libyans can
still try Seif for crimes committed in previous years.

<http://untreaty.un.org/cod/icc/statute/99_corr/cstatute.htm>
[quote]
Article 3
Seat of the Court

1. The seat of the Court shall be established at The Hague in
the Netherlands ("the host State").

2. The Court shall enter into a headquarters agreement with the
host State, to be approved by the Assembly of States Parties and
thereafter concluded by the President of the Court on its behalf.

3. The Court may sit elsewhere, whenever it considers it
desirable, as provided in this Statute.
[/quote]

Andrew Swallow

SolomonW

Nov 21, 2011, 5:39:14 AM11/21/11
I doubt it matters as the Libyan government has announced that they will
try Moammar Gadhafi's son and will not hand him over to the International
Criminal Court.

Jim Wilkins

Nov 21, 2011, 7:40:00 AM11/21/11

"dott.Piergiorgio" <chied...@ask.me> wrote in message
> Il 21/11/2011 01:17, dump...@hotmail.com ha scritto:
>> Army Buyers to Industry: Don’t Bring Us ‘Shiny Objects’:
>>
>> http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=7c996cd7-cbb4-4018-baf8-8825eada7aa2&ID=592
>
> well, reading the article, I think that the best course is Army asking NSA
> on the best computing performance needed for $CRYPTO, and asking clearly
> no more shining bell above the NSA-suggested performance.
>
> of course, the high-security code (computing sense, that is, programming)
> is done by NSA (whose seems by far the most serious of the various US
> mil/Intel establishments)
>
> all that, of course, on the basis that on-field tac crypto is aimed at
> denying intelligence for the time needed for accomplishing the mission.
>
> Best regards from Italy,
> dott. Piergiorgio.

Batteries are a bigger problem than crypto.

We have only recently become able to send and receive fault-tolerant
video-capable bandwidth with a portable battery-powered device. Cell phones
depend on strong links to tall nearby antennas and HDTV requires high power
transmitters and suffers from terrain effects. I've had to raise my TV
antenna over 15 meters high to receive all local stations. Wide bandwidth
isn't available in the lower HF frequencies that hills don't block.

We amateur radio operators have had global radio communication from almost
anywhere for a very long time but at a low voice or code data rate and
usually with a portable generator.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_Day_(amateur_radio)
http://www.spacetoday.org/Satellites/Hamsats/HamsatsBasics.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow-scan_television

http://www.af.mil/information/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=118

The Sprint wireless modem on my laptop has a higher theoretical bandwidth,
as long as I'm within sniper range of the cell tower. The link loss to those
satellites is around 150 to 200dB, meaning the ground transmitter needs
power roughly comparable to a battery-powered drill or floodlight.
http://www.tutorialsweb.com/satcom/link-power-budget/uplink-path-loss.htm#one

Vulnerable and not so secure, but available:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium_satellite_constellation

AQ can sometimes tune into drone feeds that pass over the commercial links
that supplement the inadequate capacity of secure military channels.

jsw

William Black

Nov 21, 2011, 9:21:13 AM11/21/11
I listened to the Libyan justice minister on the radio this morning
telling us all what he is going to be found guilty of...

I shall be interested to see what proof they've got as all the witness
of what he did seem to have been lynched.

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...

Ray O'Hara

Nov 21, 2011, 12:12:44 PM11/21/11

"Andrew Swallow" <am.sw...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
the ICC is a farce and should be disbanded, it can only try the weak whom
the strong want tried.

Ray O'Hara

Nov 21, 2011, 12:14:06 PM11/21/11

"William Black" <black...@gmail.com> wrote in message
they have a whole country of witnesses.
everybody in those countries has the right to a trial and shooting.
I believe it's in the Koran

scott s.

Nov 21, 2011, 2:29:39 PM11/21/11
"Ray O'Hara" <raymon...@hotmail.com> wrote in
IIUC first the Libyan gov't would have to get custody from the tribe
that is holdiong him, and which is apparently saying no turn over
until there is a functional court system.

scott s.
.

Andrew Swallow

Nov 21, 2011, 8:36:40 PM11/21/11
That applies to all courts. It is just that the ICC's version of weak
is new. It includes heads of state with an army, large nasty secret
police force and lots of oil money.

Andrew Swallow

Gernot Hassenpflug

Nov 21, 2011, 8:38:05 PM11/21/11
"Ray O'Hara" <raymon...@hotmail.com> writes:

> "Andrew Swallow" <am.sw...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> On 21/11/2011 00:17, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
>>> Seif al-Islam Gadhafi won't be given to International Criminal Court,
>>> Libyan official says:
>>>
>>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45375101/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/#.TsmE4fI8e50
>>
> the ICC is a farce and should be disbanded, it can only try the weak whom
> the strong want tried.

Of course it is a farce, like the UN, the IMF, the BIS, the tax-free
trusts: all the mchinery of one-world government dressed up as "for the
children". And all feeding from the teat that is The Fed. Mercantilism
at its best and evilist.
--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Aunkai

Andrew Swallow

Nov 21, 2011, 8:42:08 PM11/21/11
Flying a few judges, journalists and court recorders in is not
difficult. Providing the locals can put metal bars on the windows of a
large room and provide the security men. I am sure that there are
existing cell blocks around that son of Gadaffi can live in during the
ICC trial.

Andrew Swallow

Dennis

Nov 22, 2011, 12:29:12 AM11/22/11
I'm an amateur radio operator too: KE5OT, though I haven't been active in
decades. :-(

Dennis

William Black

Nov 22, 2011, 5:48:44 AM11/22/11
It is now being reported by SKY NEWS that his injured hand is due to his
captors cutting his fingers off just to show who exactly is in charge.

If this is true the ICC is going to have serious problems putting him in
front of a court because his lawyers will scream blue murder about
torture and ill treatment and all the rest of it and insist on equitable
treatment for his persecutors.

So he's going to have to face trial in Libya, where the new justice
minister has already announced what he's guilty of.

SolomonW

Nov 22, 2011, 6:50:49 AM11/22/11
Count Seif al-Islam Gadhafi's fingers

http://www.newstrackindia.com/newsdetails/251277

William Black

Nov 22, 2011, 7:33:36 AM11/22/11
And Libya has just announced that they will NOT be handing him over to
the ICC.

Actually what passes for a government in Libya hasn't actually got him
at the moment and he's probably up for sale to the highest bidder.

I'm pretty sure they don't actually have a running judicial system
either, so I await developments with interest but not much hope.

In a 'revenge culture' like that of Libya his chances of any sort of
fair trial were pretty much zero anyway.

Andrew Swallow

Nov 23, 2011, 8:28:08 AM11/23/11
A good lawyer can argue that the hand cutting by Libyans is an
additional reason why independent judges are needed. It is the only way
that Seif al-Islam Gadhafi will get a fair trial.

Andrew Swallow

William Black

Nov 23, 2011, 8:58:07 AM11/23/11
He's not going to get a fair trial any more than Saddam did.

The only debate is about the time and means of execution, and, almost
certainly, how his captors are going to mess it up.