Af/Pak & Other News (5/8/2013)

dump...@hotmail.com

May 8, 2013, 1:13:37 PM5/8/13
G.I. Stones a Portrait of Karzai, Causing a Stir:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/08/world/asia/us-soldier-targets-a-karzai-portrait-with-rocks.html

Afghan Police Kill 8 at Protest:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/nato-probes-charges-misconduct-afghanistan-19131953

Aerostats Lost: Weather, Mishaps Take Heavy Toll on Dirigibles:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20130507/C4ISR02/305070027/Aerostats-Lost-Weather-Mishaps-Take-Heavy-Toll-Dirigibles

At least 14 killed, 52 injured in 3 attacks in KP:

http://dawn.com/2013/05/08/at-least-14-killed-52-injured-in-3-attacks-in-kp/

ISAF launches multiple raids against IMU as fighting season heats up:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2013/05/isaf_launches_multip.php

Putin says Russia needs stronger defense against Afghan threats:

http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCABRE9470GD20130508

Odierno: Strengthen Ties Between Special Operators, Big Army:

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=1136

India introduces Central Monitoring System:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/08/india_privacy_woes_central_monitoring_system/

China and India's rivalry extends to the Arctic:

http://news.msn.com/world/china-and-indias-rivalry-extends-to-the-arctic

Kurdish rebels begin critical pullout from Turkey:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5ino2nKOdfbH0a2zS7tIgtNOISJSg?docId=CNG.57e4ee42f0afae13b609c440fd5fa2c0.61

Turkish Tanks Head For Saudi Arabia:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htarm/articles/20130508.aspx

Syria drops offline, again:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/05/syria-drops-offline-again/

Hezbollah Takes Risks by Fighting Rebels in Syria:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/08/world/middleeast/hezbollah-takes-risks-by-fighting-rebels-in-syria.html?pagewanted=all

Syria: Sunnis fear massacre in Assad bastion:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Syria_Sunnis_fear_massacre_in_Assad_bastion_999.html

Syria rebels shoot down fighter jet: Watchdog:

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/syria-rebels-shoot-down-fighter-jet-watchdog.aspx?pageID=238&nID=46443&NewsCatID=352

The Air War Over Syria:

http://www.strategypage.com/qnd/israel/articles/20130508.aspx

Thoughts on Benghazi:

http://www.informationdissemination.net/2013/05/thoughts-on-benghazi.html

Bodies Pour In as Nigeria Hunts for Islamists:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/08/world/africa/body-count-soars-as-nigerian-military-hunts-islamists.html?_r=0

Pirates Get Good News And Bad News:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htseamo/articles/20130508.aspx

Hungary selling away MiG-29s:

http://alert5.com/2013/05/08/hungary-selling-away-mig-29s/

Radical Islam finds easy recruits in France's jails:

http://news.msn.com/world/radical-islam-finds-easy-recruits-in-frances-jails

Harpoon Missile Obliterates Target In Successful High Seas Firing:

http://defense-update.com/20130506_harpoon-missile-obliterates-target-in-successful-high-seas-firing.html

Serbia ready to buy MiG-29M:

http://alert5.com/2013/05/08/serbia-ready-to-buy-mig-29m/

Germany says will sell 164 tanks to Indonesia:

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/se-asia/story/germany-says-will-sell-164-tanks-indonesia-20130508

Japan pulls back on denials of WWII sex slavery:

http://news.msn.com/world/japan-pulls-back-on-denials-of-wwii-sex-slavery

Aircraft Carrier, Stealth Fighters Boost China's Status as Major
Military Power:

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=1135

Taiwan intelligence unit confirms Hong Kong visit:

http://www.sinodaily.com/reports/Taiwan_intelligence_unit_confirms_Hong_Kong_visit_999.html

Taiwan to retire F-5s in 2019:

http://alert5.com/2013/05/08/taiwan-to-retire-f-5s-in-2019/

Pentagon maintains Chinese fifth-gen jets will not be operational
before 2018:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/pentagon-maintains-chinese-fifth-gen-jets-will-not-be-operational-before-2018-385573/

US Army About to Cancel Carbine Replacement:

http://defense-update.com/20130508_m4_carbine_replacemen.html

Lockheed Martin Demonstrates ADAM Ground-Based Laser System In
Increasingly Complex Tests Against Free-Flying Rockets:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/prnewswire-defense-news.html?doc=201305081100PR_NEWS_USPR_____SF09688&showRelease=1&dir=0&industries=ARO&andorquestion=OR&&passDir=0,1,2,3,4,5,6,15,17,34

Raptor 4007 starts testing Inc 3.2A upgrade on its 1000th sortie:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2013/05/raptor-4007-starts-testing-inc.html

A Living Sensor Inspects Explosives, Narcotics:

http://defense-update.com/20130507_bio_explorers_bio_explosive_detector.html

Latest Army Spy Plane Readied in Secret Lab:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20130507/C4ISR02/305070028/Latest-Army-Spy-Plane-Readied-Secret-Lab

B-52 getting upgraded communications system:

http://alert5.com/2013/05/08/b-52-getting-upgraded-communications-system/

US air force strips 17 officers of power to launch nuclear missiles:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/08/us-airforce-nuclear-missiles

Andrew Swallow

May 8, 2013, 10:59:07 PM5/8/13
On 08/05/2013 18:13, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Radical Islam finds easy recruits in France's jails:
>
> http://news.msn.com/world/radical-islam-finds-easy-recruits-in-frances-jails

A similar recruitment tactic was performed in Britain's jails. Here is
a newspaper report about terrorist recruitment in the USA from 2009.

<http://www.investigativeproject.org/1041/radicals-in-our-prisons>

Andrew Swallow

Dennis

May 23, 2013, 7:53:22 AM5/23/13
Andrew Swallow wrote:
> On 08/05/2013 18:13, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Radical Islam finds easy recruits in France's jails:
>>
>> http://news.msn.com/world/radical-islam-finds-easy-recruits-in-frances-jails

The Maghrebis and other Middle Eastern Muslims in France don't want to
integrate in French society, which creates a lot of problems.

> A similar recruitment tactic was performed in Britain's jails.

The article explains that Britain has a lot more Muslim chaplains for
its prison population, which makes a big difference.

> Here is
> a newspaper report about terrorist recruitment in the USA from 2009.
>
> <http://www.investigativeproject.org/1041/radicals-in-our-prisons>

Interesting.

Dennis

dott.Piergiorgio

May 23, 2013, 8:51:30 AM5/23/13
I concur & agree; but I'm more inclined towards a form of "spread
terrorism" (lacking a better translation of the Italian word "terrorismo
diffuso") as we known here in Italy during the mid-to-late 1970s (once I
wrote here that during 1970s a "quiet night" in a major Italian city was
one when only one two local party's offices was burned and there was
less than an half dozen brawl between leftist and rightist and the
burned cars count don't reach two digits....)

Italian press are noticing the overreaction of UK politics and society
with, I admit, a veiled smirk on the lack of british phlegm; but for
sure we're not overconfident on the security system here (IIRC, you have
read Don Camillo, so you should have an rough idea of the relationship
between Italy's LE and extreme left....)

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.