Af/Pak & Other News (11/13/2012)

dump...@hotmail.com

Nov 13, 2012, 12:29:36 PM11/13/12
Petraeus Scandal Engulfs Afghanistan War Chief:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/11/allen-scandal/

Afghan faction Haqqanis would consider talks under Taliban:

http://dawn.com/2012/11/13/afghan-faction-haqqanis-would-consider-talks-under-taliban/

Warlords, Inc.:

http://nation.time.com/2012/11/13/warlords-inc/

Afghanistan shortlists 3 companies for oil project:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121112/NATION/211120373/1020/rss09

Integrated Dynamics sells UAVs to Pakistan Armed Forces:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=28471:integrated-dynamics-sells-uavs-to-pakistan-armed-forces&catid=112:ideas-2012&Itemid=249

Dempsey: ‘Measured Response’ to Iran’s firing on Predator:

http://defensetech.org/2012/11/13/dempsey-measured-response-to-irans-firing-on-predator/

Iran Unveils Missile-Launching Hovercraft:

http://www.defencetalk.com/iran-unveils-missile-launching-hovercraft-45471/

Iran unveils new missile systems on second day of drills:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-iran-military-missilebre8ac0l9-20121113,0,6377733.story

Fighting grows along Syria's borders, threatening to spread war:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/terrorism-security/2012/1113/Fighting-grows-along-Syria-s-borders-threatening-to-spread-war

New Syrian opposition chief seeks recognition, arms:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49805489

Syrian Softies Grounded:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htlead/articles/20121113.aspx

Israel considers resumption of Gaza assassinations:

http://news.msn.com/world/israel-considers-resumption-of-gaza-assassinations

Palestinians Prepare for Arafat Exhumation:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/world/middleeast/palestinians-prepare-for-arafat-exhumation.html?ref=world&_r=0

PRC video claims to show missile strike on IDF jeep:

http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Article.aspx?id=291632

Practice For The Iran Raid:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htairfo/articles/20121113.aspx

Germany Plans Extensive Arms Deal with Algeria:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/german-arms-sales-to-algeria-have-increased-dramatically-a-866690.html

Argentina says to sue Ghana over detained naval tall ship:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=28494:argentina-says-to-sue-ghana-over-detained-naval-tall-ship-&catid=51:Sea&Itemid=106

Georgian ex-minister accused of torture:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2012/11/13/Georgian-ex-minister-accused-of-torture/UPI-88051352821170/

Strabane Royal Navy submariner tried to pass information to ‘Russian
agents’:

http://www.derryjournal.com/news/local/around-the-courts/strabane-royal-navy-submariner-tried-to-pass-information-to-russian-agents-1-4472684

Sukhoi to Build Strike, Recon Unmanned Planes:

http://www.defencetalk.com/sukhoi-to-build-strike-recon-unmanned-planes-45468/

Concept Model of China’s Stealth Fighter Debuts at Zhuhai Air Show:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/140114/china-shows-model-of-f_22-copy-at-zhuhai.html

N.Korea carries out tests for missiles: think tank:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/NKorea_carries_out_tests_for_missiles_think_tank_999.html

WZ-10 Attack Helicopter Makes 1st Public Appearance:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/140121/china-unveils-wz_10-attack-helicopter.html

S Korea urges Russia to send rocket parts swiftly:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/1236930/1/.html

CH-4 MALE UAV Debuts at 9th Zhuhai Air Show:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/140117/china%E2%80%99s-male-uav-debuts-at-zhuhai-show.html

Saudi man gets life in prison in US bomb plot:

http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2012/11/13/saudi-man-convicted-in-us-bomb-plot-faces-prison

Lockheed says cyber attacks up sharply, suppliers targeted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/13/net-us-lockheed-cyber-idUSBRE8AC02S20121113?feedType=RSS&feedName=everything&virtualBrandChannel=11563

Unwitting Sensors: How DoD is Exploiting Social Media:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20121113/DEFREG02/311130003/Unwitting-Sensors-How-DoD-Exploiting-Social-Media?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Patriot Air and Missile Defense System receives US Army stamp of
approval:

http://www.defencetalk.com/patriot-air-and-missile-defense-system-receives-us-army-stamp-of-approval-45463/

Northrop Grumman Begins Full-Rate Production of LITENING SE Targeting
Pods for USAF:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Northrop_Grumman_Begins_Full_Rate_Production_of_LITENING_SE_Targeting_Pods_for_USAF_999.html

BAE Systems Delivers Its 300th F-4 Flying Drone for U.S. Air Force:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/140104/bae-delivers-its-300th-f_4-drone-for-us-air-force.html

Production Firebird Breaks Cover:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Blogs.aspx?plckBlogId=Blog:27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckPostId=Blog:27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post:1e7bac9c-c000-4456-8f79-7b3854bad262

SolomonW

Nov 14, 2012, 3:20:40 AM11/14/12
It will be interesting to see what happens here. A loss by Argentina if it
goes to the international court would have major ramifications.

Is there are exception for warships in the case of a contractual waiver as
Argentina has already given up its immunity?

Here is what one lawyer said.

http://opiniojuris.org/2012/11/13/argentina-threatens-to-sue-ghana-in-international-tribunal-for-the-law-of-the-sea/

Anyone Ghana has not given up the ship so we may see.

Bill

Nov 14, 2012, 5:16:29 AM11/14/12
On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 19:20:40 +1100, SolomonW <Solo...@citi.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 09:29:36 -0800 (PST), dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> Argentina says to sue Ghana over detained naval tall ship:
>>
>> http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=28494:argentina-says-to-sue-ghana-over-detained-naval-tall-ship-&catid=51:Sea&Itemid=106
>
>It will be interesting to see what happens here. A loss by Argentina if it
>goes to the international court would have major ramifications.

It has some very major ramifications indeed considering that Russia
defaulted on international debt some years ago.

Now I don't expect some tin-pot African state will try and push Russia
about in the way they have tried to push another tin-pot state about
but I can see Argentina arresting a Russian ship in a fit of pique a
some future point if some Russian debt is bought by another gang of
profiteering crooks in New York as this tranche has been.

SolomonW

Nov 15, 2012, 10:24:02 AM11/15/12
On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 10:16:29 +0000, Bill wrote:

> It has some very major ramifications indeed considering that Russia
> defaulted on international debt some years ago.

Countries that have defaulted recently beside Russia and Argentina would
include Venezuela, Ukraine, Pakistan, Ecuador, Peru, Moldova, Uruguay,
Dominican Republic, Belize, Ecuador, Ivory Coast, Grenada and Seychelles.

Source: Moody's - Sovereign Default and Recovery Rates, 1983-2008

Bill

Nov 15, 2012, 11:20:29 AM11/15/12
On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 02:24:02 +1100, SolomonW <Solo...@citi.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 10:16:29 +0000, Bill wrote:
>
>> It has some very major ramifications indeed considering that Russia
>> defaulted on international debt some years ago.
>
>Countries that have defaulted recently beside Russia and Argentina would
>include Venezuela, Ukraine, Pakistan, Ecuador, Peru, Moldova, Uruguay,
>Dominican Republic, Belize, Ecuador, Ivory Coast, Grenada and Seychelles.

None of those, except Russia, have the capacity to empty a bucket of
instant sunshine over people who attack their naval vessels.

The Russian state has the reputation for using very violent forms of
retaliation against people who don't behave in a manner they consider
'reasonable'.

I doubt they'd nuke someone, but I imagine they're quite capable of
launching the sort of military action that the US would take in
similar circumstances, and the Russians don't have the same
reputation for restraint and the avoidance of dead innocents the US
has.

Jim Wilkins

Nov 15, 2012, 11:45:53 AM11/15/12
"Bill" <black...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> ...>
> The Russian state has the reputation for using very violent forms of
> retaliation against people who don't behave in a manner they
> consider
> 'reasonable'.
>
> I doubt they'd nuke someone, but I imagine they're quite capable of
> launching the sort of military action that the US would take in
> similar circumstances, and the Russians don't have the same
> reputation for restraint and the avoidance of dead innocents the US
> has.

Are they capable of military ground action anywhere they can't drive
to?

Bill

Nov 15, 2012, 11:53:27 AM11/15/12
Well they certainly were in Lebanon in about 1985...

The 'Alpha Group' has had its fangs drawn some years ago but I imagine
that there's still a force somewhere in Russia that is housed in cages
and fed on vodka and raw meat.

Everybody's got one...

Jim Wilkins

Nov 15, 2012, 1:30:48 PM11/15/12

"Bill" <black...@gmail.com> wrote in message
There is a limit to what an unsupported small unit can accomplish with
the equipment they can carry, look at the history of parachute
operations or cavalry/Jeep raids. At best they can surprise and kill
people and briefly defend a small perimeter against police or light
infantry weapons.

Some masters of small-unit raiding:
http://www.amazon.com/Popskis-Private-Cassell-Military-Paperbacks/dp/0304361437
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_von_Lettow-Vorbeck
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._E._Lawrence
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/efcarlson.htm
http://www.sasspecialairservice.com/david-stirling.html

Can Russia deliver heavy equipment by sea or air without local
cooperation?

Bill

Nov 15, 2012, 2:51:30 PM11/15/12
On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 13:30:48 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
Not if what they're doing is springing a ship...

Launch platform is a submarine or three, target is the ship, which
will, if the current case is anything to go by, still have the
original crew on board.

Get on the ship, place a perimeter on the quayside, brief the
captain and hand over his written orders, cast off, sail out of
territorial waters with the 'Alpha Team' there to fend off any
unwanted locals, rendezvous with naval force sailing just off the
coast...

Grantland

Nov 15, 2012, 5:30:34 PM11/15/12
On Thursday, November 15, 2012 6:20:34 PM UTC+2, BillHAHAHAy wrote:

> similar circumstances, and the Russians don't have the same
>
> reputation for restraint and the avoidance of dead innocents the US
>
> has.

HAHAHA-HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Rare to see a sense of humour in these types }:-))

Grantland