Jeffrey Ethell (1947-1997)

Jerry Ku

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
I was looking around the net for military aviation books when i came
across a site "WW2 Aviation Book List"
at the top there was a message: "

This site is dedicated to the memory of Jeffrey Ethell
who embodied all that is good about aviation and who
held dear the principles of life that transcend this
mortal coil."

there's also a photo of him. The man in the photo looked familiar.
Similar to the guy you see in pretty much every episode of Wings on the
Discovery channel. I'm a big fan of Wings, and although never knew it, a
huge fan of Mr. Ethell.

I just had to figure out if that was the guy on Wings. I was about to
post to ask if Mr. Ethell was the Wings guy when i remembered i had a
complete episode of Wings on tape.. i kicked it in, hoping it WASN'T
him. but it was. Jeff Ethell. Sigh. :(

Does anybody know how he died?

vcard.vcf

Andy '-heli-' Allen

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
I understand he was killed in a crash while flying a P-38 Warbird. Please
correct me if I'm wrong about this.

-Andy-

Matt Manspeaker

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
Jerry Ku wrote:

> Does anybody know how he died?

Jeff was flying a P-38 when it began to have some problems. If the
story that I got was correct...he tried repeatedly to save the plane
(instead of just getting out) and he impacted the ground still in the
plane.

Jeff was a great enthusiast, and even thought I never met him
personally, I felt I really 'knew' him because of all of the warbird
shows that I had seen with him in them.

We lost a truly great person as well as a pilot that day...

RIP Jeff Ethell

--
Regards,
Matt Manspeaker

Aeroframe

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
Sadly, Jeff perished in the crash of a P-38 Lightning in Tillamook, Oregon on
June 6, 1997. It was a great loss to the aviation community. He is missed!

Buckaroo

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
He died in a crash flying a P-38 in Oregon (if I remeber right). He
lost power and tried to save the plane, but couldn't bring it down.
It was a big loss to aviation, especially the warbird community. Im
sure someone can tell you more and point to the web site that is
(was?) put up by the family that tells about his life and death.
Still bums me though.

Eric

Jerry Ku wrote in message <35A9FB85...@ix.netcom.com>...
>I was looking around the net for military aviation books when i came
>across a site "WW2 Aviation Book List"
>at the top there was a message: "
>
> This site is dedicated to the memory of Jeffrey Ethell
> who embodied all that is good about aviation and who
> held dear the principles of life that transcend this
> mortal coil."
>
>there's also a photo of him. The man in the photo looked familiar.
>Similar to the guy you see in pretty much every episode of Wings on
the
>Discovery channel. I'm a big fan of Wings, and although never knew
it, a
>huge fan of Mr. Ethell.
>
>I just had to figure out if that was the guy on Wings. I was about to
>post to ask if Mr. Ethell was the Wings guy when i remembered i had a
>complete episode of Wings on tape.. i kicked it in, hoping it WASN'T
>him. but it was. Jeff Ethell. Sigh. :(

Rod White

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
I think it happened flying a P-38 Lighting when it went
down. I never knew him personally, but he sure did do
A LOT of work that military aviation enthusiasts could enjoy,
both in print and in Wings and some PBS shows.

--
Rod White
PC Multimedia & Entertainment Magazine

Spiff

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
Check www.ethell.com

IMO, it seems like the site is there just to make some $$$. Wow, I found one
picture that did not have COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL plastered in the middle of it.

In article <6ocvhk$mcl$1...@daffy.pageplus.com>, "Buckaroo"

FighterJock

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
I'm sure others will or have chimed in on this, but he is/was a bit of a
hero of mine too. He died in a landing accident while on short final in a
P-38, his fream all his life had been to fly the P-38 that his father taked
so much about and flew in WWII. He had flown the model a few times at least
before the crash. Call me what you will, but if I am so unlucky to die that
young, I can't think of a better more appropriate way to go than doing
something that I enjoyed so much.

He will be sorely missed. He not only did Wings episodes he wrote for many
aviation magizines and I believe he may have done a book or two. I think we
will (I will anyway) feel his loss for a long time. The man was more than a
pilot and historian and family man, somehow all those together made him even
more than the sum of those parts.

Sorry if this sounds like a eulegy, I guess maybe it is for me, and I don't
know a better group of people to share it with. Avaviators, whether they
fly for real fly radio control, or computers all have something in common
that is somehow rare and hard to define at the same time, we all have it,
but Jeffery really somehow embodied it.

Tally Ho

Peter Waddell

Maiesm72

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
Spiff

If the site that you mentioned is run by Jeff's family or his business it would
make sense to try to defray costs or, God forbid, make some money.

Perhaps your posting would be a bit less insulting if you signed your name.

Tom Young

C.C. Jordan

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
On Mon, 13 Jul 1998 18:00:50 -0400, "FighterJock" <p...@ican.net> wrote:

>He will be sorely missed. He not only did Wings episodes he wrote for many
>aviation magizines and I believe he may have done a book or two.

Below is the complete list of books by Jeff Ethell from the www.ethell.com
website. Yeah, everything there has a copyright notice, but I doubt very
much that his family would mind printing the list. It may sell a few books.
I don't know what is still in print, but several are currently available at
www.amazon.com and www.barnesandnoble.com.

The list follows my sigfile.

1) KOMET: THE MESSERSCHMITT 163. Ian Allan/Sky Books, 1978.

2) P-38 LIGHTNING AT WAR w/ Joe Christy. lan Allan/Scribner's, 1978.

3) COWBOYS & INDIANS: The Keith Ferris NASM B-17 Mural. 1978.

4) MOVING UP TO TWIN ENGINE AIRPLANES. Tab, 1978.

5) USED AIRCRAFT GUIDE. Scribner's, 1979.

6) THE AVIATION ART OF KEITH FERRIS w/ Keith Ferris. Bantam, 1978.

7) THE GERMAN JETS IN COMBAT w/ Alfred Price. Jane's, 1979.

8) P-40 HAWKS AT WAR w/ Joe Christy. Ian Allan/Scribner's, 1979.

9) ESCORT TO BERLIN: 4th Fighter Group in WWII w/ Garry Fry. Arco, 1980.

10) F-15 EAGLE. Ian Allan/Motorbooks, 1980.

11) B-52 STRATOFORTRESS w/ Joe Christy. Ian Allan/Scribner's, 1980.

12) MUSTANG: A Documentary History of the P-51. Jane's, 1981.

13) TARGET BERLIN: 6 March 1944 w/ Alfred Price. Jane's 1981; Blandford, 1989.

14) PILOT MAKER: THE INCREDIBLE T-6 w/ Walter Ohlrich. Zenith, 1983.

15) AMERICAN WARPLANES: WWII to Korea, Vol. I. Arms & Armour, 1983.

16) AMERICAN WARPLANES: WWII to Korea, Vol. II. Arms &; Armour, 1983.

17) AIR WAR SOUTH ATLANTIC w/ Alfred Price. S & J, 1983; Macmillan, 1984. $18.95

18) FUEL ECONOMY IN AVIATION. NASA, 1983. $9.95

19) P-38 LIGHTNING. Zokeisha/Crown, 1984.

20) FOX TWO: First Ace in Vietnam w/ Randy Cunningham. Champlin, 1984.

21) AMELIA EARHART, THE FINAL STORY w/ Vincent Loomis. Random House, 1985.

22) AIR WAR OVER GERMANY. Arms & Armour, 1985.

23) U.S. ARMY AIR FORCES, WW II, Vol.I. Arms & Armour, 1986.

24) NASA & GENERAL AVIATION. NASA, 1986.

25) B-17 FLYING FORTRESS. Arms & Armour, 1986.

26) GHOSTS - Warbirds w/ Philip Makanna. Thomasson-Grant, 1987.

27) TOTAL FORCE: Air Guard & Reserve w/ George Hall. Thomasson-Grant, 1988.

28) FIFTY CLASSIC WARBIRDS. Arms & Armour, 1988.

29) CHECK SIX w/ Boots Blesse. Champlin, 1988.

30) ONE DAY IN A LONG WAR: Vietnam w/ Alfred Price. Random House, 1989. $18.95

31) B-52 STRATOFORTRESS. Arms & Armour, 1989.

32) P-51 MUSTANG. Arms & Armour, 1990.

33) FOCKE WULF Ta 152. Monogram, 1990. $8.95

34) WAR PAINT w/ John Campbell. Motorbooks, 1990.

35) FIGHTER COMMAND: American Fighters in Original Color w/ Robert T. Sand.
Motorbooks, 1991. $29.95

36) THE HISTORY OF AIRCRAFT NOSE ART: 1914 to Today w/ C. Simonsen. Motorbooks,
1991.

37) CLASSIC WARBIRD BUYERS GUIDE. Motorbooks, 1991.

38) SHARKS TEETH NOSE ART. Motorbooks, 1992. $19.95

39) FRONTIERS OF FLIGHT. Smithsonian Books, 1992. $40,00

40) WORLD WAR II NOSE ART IN COLOR. Motorbooks, 1993. $12.95

41) P-51 MUSTANG IN COLOR PHOTOS FROM WWII AND KOREA. Motorbooks, 1993. $12.95

42) P-38 LIGHTNING IN COLOR PHOTOS FROM WWII. Motorbooks, 1994. $12.95

43) FIGHTING JETS OF WORLD WAR II w/ Alfred Price. Airlife, 1994. $30.00

44) WINGS OF WAR: WWII in the Air in Color. Naval Institute Press, 1994. $39.95

45) P-40 WARHAWK IN COLOR PHOTOS FROM WWII. Motorbooks, 1994. $12.95

46) THE VICTORY ERA: Rare Color Photographs of the World War II Years. Reiman
Publishing, 1994. $19.95

47) BOMBER COMMAND: American Bombers in Original Color. Motorbooks, 1994.

48) G.I. VICTORY: The U.S. Army in World War II Color. Greenhill, 1995. $39.95

49) WORLD WAR II AIRCRAFT: A Full Color Album. Kokufan, 1995.

50) B-17 FLYING FORTRESS IN COLOR PHOTOS FROM WWII. Motorbooks, 1995. $12.95

51) WWII WAR EAGLES: Global Air War in Original Color. Widewing Publishing,
1995. $39.95

52) FLYING THE HUMP: In Original WWII Color w/ Don Downie. Motorbooks, 1995.
$29.95

53) THERE ONCE WAS A WAR: WWII in Color. Viking, 1995.

54) AIRCRAFT OF WORLD WAR II: Pocket Guide. Jane’s/HarperCollins, 1995. $8.00

55) WWII PACIFIC WAR EAGLES: China/Pacific Air War in Original Color. Widewing
Pub, 1997. $39.95

56) LUFTWAFFE AT WAR: Blitzkrieg 1939-1942. Greenhill Press, 1997.

57) LUFTWAFFE AT WAR: North Africa - Mediterranean 1940-1943, Greenhill Press,
1997.

58) SPITFIRE. Motorbooks, 1998.

59) HOWARD HUGHES, A Biography. Kokufan, 1997.

60) MUSTANG: NORTH AMERICAN P-51 & TF-51. Cavalleria Press, 1997.

Best regards,
C.C. Jordan

http://home.att.net/~C.C.Jordan/index.html
The "Planes and Pilots of WWII" website.
Where veterans can publish their memories
online.Veterans are encouraged to submit
articles, stories and essays by e-mail.
Write me for details, or just send your
submission to: C.C.J...@Worldnet.att.net
A member of the WWII Web-ring.

C.C. Jordan

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
On Mon, 13 Jul 1998 23:17:32 GMT, C.C.J...@Worldnet.att.net (C.C. Jordan)
wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Jul 1998 18:00:50 -0400, "FighterJock" <p...@ican.net> wrote:
>

>>He will be sorely missed. He not only did Wings episodes he wrote for many
>>aviation magizines and I believe he may have done a book or two.
>
>Below is the complete list of books by Jeff Ethell from the www.ethell.com
>website. Yeah, everything there has a copyright notice, but I doubt very
>much that his family would mind printing the list. It may sell a few books.
>I don't know what is still in print, but several are currently available at
>www.amazon.com and www.barnesandnoble.com.
>
>The list follows my sigfile.

Ok, I guess the list doesn't follow my sigfile..............:-)

FighterJock

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98

C.C. Jordan wrote in message <6oe4du$2...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...

>On Mon, 13 Jul 1998 18:00:50 -0400, "FighterJock" <p...@ican.net> wrote:
>

>>He will be sorely missed. He not only did Wings episodes he wrote for
many
>>aviation magizines and I believe he may have done a book or two.
>
>Below is the complete list of books by Jeff Ethell from the www.ethell.com
>website. Yeah, everything there has a copyright notice, but I doubt very
>much that his family would mind printing the list. It may sell a few books.
>I don't know what is still in print, but several are currently available at
>www.amazon.com and www.barnesandnoble.com.

Whow, that's "a book or two"!.

Thanks.

FighterJock

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
Does anybody know what the investigation into the accident found the cause
to be. I have my suspicians but...?

pjw

C.C. Jordan wrote in message <6oe4j5$2...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...

>On Mon, 13 Jul 1998 23:17:32 GMT, C.C.J...@Worldnet.att.net (C.C. Jordan)
>wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 13 Jul 1998 18:00:50 -0400, "FighterJock" <p...@ican.net> wrote:
>>

>>>He will be sorely missed. He not only did Wings episodes he wrote for
many
>>>aviation magizines and I believe he may have done a book or two.
>>
>>Below is the complete list of books by Jeff Ethell from the www.ethell.com
>>website. Yeah, everything there has a copyright notice, but I doubt very
>>much that his family would mind printing the list. It may sell a few
books.
>>I don't know what is still in print, but several are currently available
at
>>www.amazon.com and www.barnesandnoble.com.
>>

>>The list follows my sigfile.
>
>Ok, I guess the list doesn't follow my sigfile..............:-)
>Best regards,
>C.C. Jordan

Corsair

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
His death was really a great loss to the aviation-enthusiasts'
community, and particularly the warbird community (such as the
Confederate Air Force) where he devoted a great deal of time.

He died in a crash of a restored P-38 which crashed just short of a
runway he was coming in to. His death was somewhat ironic in that his
father flew the P-38 in WWII and it was this aircraft that first got him
interested in flying.

I gleaned so much knowledge from him over the years. He actually died
last fall but word was slow getting around. Because he filled me with so
much knowledge, I had dedicated my Air Power Analysis section to him.
Right now I'm trying to write the proper dedication for him but it's a
little difficult. I didn't hear about his death until the end of last
year (I think) and I was just completely stunned.

--
Corsair

The "Jolly Rogers" Past & Present
www.interlog.com/~vf84

Corsair

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
Nothing to apologise for, you've summed up many of our thoughts very
well.

FighterJock wrote:

> Sorry if this sounds like a eulegy, I guess maybe it is for me, and I don't
> know a better group of people to share it with. Avaviators, whether they
> fly for real fly radio control, or computers all have something in common
> that is somehow rare and hard to define at the same time, we all have it,
> but Jeffery really somehow embodied it.

Michael Williamson

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
The NTSB database website (http://www.ntsb.gov/aviation/Accident.htm) still
lists only a preliminary report with just the details of the crash, with no
conclusions or reports from the investigation. The report can be found at
http://www.ntsb.gov/Aviation/SEA/97A130.htm

Mike Williamson
41st Electronic Combat Squadron

sh...@aafo.com

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
In article <35A9FB85...@ix.netcom.com>,
Jerry Ku <ku-...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Does anybody know how he died?

Jerry, indeed he died in a P-38 crash in Oregon just over a year ago... Here
is the text from the preliminary NTSB accident report... I'm sort of
surprised that there is not more on this one yet... I suppose that
speculation is not really in order until all the facts are in and
alalyized....

*** BEGIN TRANSCRIPT ***

On June 6, 1997, approximately 1810 Pacific daylight time, a Lockheed P-38
"Lightning," retaining experimental registration number N7973, registered to
Bruce L. Pruett, and being flown by a commercial pilot, was destroyed during
collision with terrain following a loss of control while on visual approach
to the Tillamook airport, Tillamook, Oregon. There was a post crash fire and
the pilot was fatally injured. Visual meteorological conditions existed and
no flight plan had been filed. The flight, which was a practice run for an
upcoming P-38 pilot convention, was to have been operated under 14CFR91, and
departed from the Tillamook airport approximately 20 minutes before the
accident. A witness located within a half mile of the accident site reported
seeing the aircraft enter the downwind for runway 31 and then execute a 90
degree left turn to base. He reported that the aircraft flew a short distance
and then began a right turn as if to execute a turn for spacing. At this time
he heard two loud "bangs" and observed the aircraft execute two snap rolls to
the left and descend behind trees. On site examination by FAA personnel
revealed the aircraft in an upright position with no ground slide marks
visible. A tree was observed standing vertically within the area defined by
the twin tail-booms, the horizontal stabilizer and the wing trailing edge. A
small tree was observed penetrating the right wing approximately six feet
inboard of the wingtip.

*** END TRANSCRIPT ***

=======================================
Wayne Sagar
AirportFence Productions, Inc.
http://www.aafo.com
http://www.sprucegoose.org

Please join us in supporting the restoration and display
of the historic Hughes Flying Boat "Spruce Goose"

C.C. Jordan

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
On Tue, 14 Jul 1998 00:55:59 GMT, sh...@aafo.com wrote:

>In article <35A9FB85...@ix.netcom.com>,
> Jerry Ku <ku-...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>> Does anybody know how he died?
>
>Jerry, indeed he died in a P-38 crash in Oregon just over a year ago... Here
>is the text from the preliminary NTSB accident report... I'm sort of
>surprised that there is not more on this one yet... I suppose that
>speculation is not really in order until all the facts are in and
>alalyized....

[snip transcript]

Sound like a catastrophic engine failure leading to a sudden roll right,
followed by stalling and a flat spin into the ground. not an uncommon
event when losing an engine while low, slow and dirty. the P-38 was
especially deadly under those circumstances. The normal procedure
would be to pull off the good engine, counter the roll, push the nose down
to maintain airspeed. If you have done this and not yet hit the ground, slowly
add throttle on the healthy engine, applying rudder and aileron as necessary
to counter torque. Do not attempt to turn until you have enough altitude and
airspeed. This basic procedure applies to nearly any twin. However, the
P-38 is not nearly as forgiving as my old C-1A or a Piper Aztec for that matter.
You can worry about feathering the dead prop when you have time. The
major danger in the P-38 was an accelerated stall caused by the sudden roll.
The Lightning leaves very little margin to save the plane. During the War,
hundreds of skilled fighter pilots suffered the same fate. Sudden engine
failure on takeoff or on landing was responsible to the majority of P-38
accident fatalities. If you have a few hundred feet of altitude to trade for
airspeed, you just might make it. Otherwise.........

Ethell was a skilled pilot, and certainly knew emergency procedures. Did he
make a serious error? I doubt it. Just bad luck.

Aeroframe

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
I missed the "insulting" post but Jeff's site is www.ethell.com/jethell/. I
have met Jeff's family and they are monuments to memory.

Jim Kippen

FighterJock

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
I probably shouldn't speculate like this, but here goes. In one of the last
if not the last article he wrote, he did it on the P38 (don't know if was
the same plane) for Flight www.airage.com magizine. I won't quote but he
mentions how many accidents were caused by a confusion over a fuel tank
select lever in the P38.

pjw

Tim Savage

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
Jeff was truly a gentlemen as those of us who had the privelage to know him
well can attest.

His son David is continuing to maintain his website www.ethell.com. Yes it
is a commercial web site of a sort, but his family certainly deserves all
the support the aviation community can muster. Many people probably believe
that aviation writers get paid well, but I guarantee that it is far from
true, Jeff's profession was a labor of love.

Jeff's wife, Bettie, and his estate as well as Jack Ericson have been sued
by Bruce Pruitt, the owner of the P-38 destroyed in the crash, to the tune
of 8 million bucks. Frankly, I won't give you my opinion of Pruitt, after
all children probably read this newsgroup,

Jeff will be greatly missed and long remembered.

Chris Gattman

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
Tim Savage wrote:

> Jeff's wife, Bettie, and his estate as well as Jack Ericson have been sued
> by Bruce Pruitt, the owner of the P-38 destroyed in the crash, to the tune
> of 8 million bucks. Frankly, I won't give you my opinion of Pruitt, after
> all children probably read this newsgroup,
>
> Jeff will be greatly missed and long remembered.

Maybe Pruitt knows something we don't. I worked with Ethell at Ericson's
museum just before the crash and liked him instantly. At the time he had just
flown the other P-38 at the museum and told us it had been the accomplishment
of his lifetime (he said it in the video, as well.) He was simply radiant
with delight of having flown the warbird.

Nevertheless, if he was in error and the aircraft was lost because of it,
Pruitt might have a case.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if the FAA report came out. It would be
interesting to see who sues whom should it be proved that the aircraft itself
malfunctioned. The aircraft was simply not worth $8 million and such a suit
would seem to be a devastating and malicious blow to Ethell's already-grieving
family. (If I remember correctly, Mr. Ericson told me before the crash that
the aircraft was worth about $1.5 million.)

If anybody knows, please keep us posted.

=Chris=

Tim Savage

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98

Chris Gattman wrote in message <35ABF19C...@europa.com>...

> Maybe Pruitt knows something we don't. I worked with Ethell at Ericson's
>museum just before the crash and liked him instantly. At the time he had
just
>flown the other P-38 at the museum and told us it had been the
accomplishment
>of his lifetime (he said it in the video, as well.) He was simply
radiant
>with delight of having flown the warbird.

>Nevertheless, if he was in error and the aircraft was lost because of it,
>Pruitt might have a case.

Flying warbirds is always a risk. Pruitt knew this, or should have.
Granted I do not know all the particulars of the accident, I have my
suspicions and I have heard all of the scuttlebutt, but it certainly does
not deserve such an action against the family.

If Jack Ericson allowed Jeff to fly Pruitt's P-38 without his permission
then he might have a cause of action against Ericson since the aircraft was
in his care. Also, from what I understand Pruitt received a sizeable
insurance settlement already.

>On the other hand, I'm not sure if the FAA report came out. It would be
>interesting to see who sues whom should it be proved that the aircraft
itself
>malfunctioned. The aircraft was simply not worth $8 million and such a
suit
>would seem to be a devastating and malicious blow to Ethell's
already-grieving
>family. (If I remember correctly, Mr. Ericson told me before the crash
that
>the aircraft was worth about $1.5 million.)

I guess I am really idealistic when I expect warbird owners to understand
the risks of their hobby and accept such risks. I am sure that Bettie and
the Ethell estate wouldn't sue Pruitt if fault is found with the aircraft,
it would be nice if Pruitt had the same respect for those who have passed
on.

COOPER

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
"Tim Savage" <t_sa...@ensi.com> writes:

>in his care. Also, from what I understand Pruitt received a sizeable
>insurance settlement already.

Yes - and the insurance company cut up the crashed 38 and sold it
for scrap ... ;-(

-moggy

--
gary cooper (not the dead one)
mailto:mo...@kesmai.com

Corsair

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/18/98
Oh, you're kidding. I cannot believe that. It's best that I keep my
comments to myself as well. Unbelievable!

Tim Savage wrote:

> Jeff's wife, Bettie, and his estate as well as Jack Ericson have been sued
> by Bruce Pruitt, the owner of the P-38 destroyed in the crash, to the tune
> of 8 million bucks. Frankly, I won't give you my opinion of Pruitt, after
> all children probably read this newsgroup,
>
> Jeff will be greatly missed and long remembered.

PosterBoy

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98

Whoa, there!!!
DISCLAIMER: I know NOTHING about this case, or its history. My question,
therefore, is a request for information...based on a lot of observation of
legal matters.

Is it possible that insurance may cover the loss...but the only way the
loser can access the fund is by suing? Many, many cases of friend suing
friend is a result of an insurance company refusing to cover a loss caused
by the insured...thus necessitating even the closest friend to sue. (And
the sued friend having absolutely no objection).
Truly, just asking.

Thanks.