Researchers at Google Deepmind and the University of Oxford have concluded that it's now "likely" that superintelligent AI will spell the end of humanity

Matthew

Sep 14, 2022, 10:20:17 PM9/14/22

a425couple

Sep 15, 2022, 11:21:58 AM9/15/22
On 09/14/2022 07:20 PM, Matthew wrote:
> https://futurism.com/the-byte/google-oxford-paper-ai-humankind

So, I guess they are saying Arnold Swartzeneger's movie series
"The Terminator" was a good prediction of the future?

Jim Wilkins

Sep 15, 2022, 12:47:13 PM9/15/22
"a425couple" wrote in message news:oqHUK.286451$wLZ8....@fx18.iad...
-------------------
So don't create a self-aware mind unless you can give it a soul.

Matthew

Sep 15, 2022, 1:09:34 PM9/15/22
Humans aren't eradicated in the Terminator films, as far as I know (I haven't seen them all). Mechanized AI will be a terrible threat in the future, but most likely some humans will survive. AI tech is just another tool, programmed with a purpose and certain limitations. I don't see a situation where AI "rebels" against humanity. It doesn't have its own will, or desire, or soul, it is just clockwork.

It will be a tremendous force of destruction though. We will want to be far away from the battlefield and well insulated, keeping in mind tomorrow's battlefield will likely be the entire grid (and beyond), and that these weapons will detect human targets along many various domains - heat, sound, motion, electromagnetism, 'smell', etc.

Jim Wilkins

Sep 15, 2022, 5:52:45 PM9/15/22
"Matthew" wrote in message
-----------------

https://futurism.com/the-byte/china-selling-autonomous-killer-drones

How long until terrorists unleash them in the USA?

I've been practicing WW2-style aircraft detection by sound and sight, which
isn't easy. I did detect a B-2 sneaking in silently from behind the crowd at
an airshow.

This maps commercial flights you might see overhead. They are difficult to
locate without contrails.
https://flightaware.com/

Matthew

Sep 15, 2022, 8:11:45 PM9/15/22
>How long until terrorists unleash them in the USA?

soon, and God knows what else they're sitting on. This is an incredibly dangerous time, most people are sleepwalking.

https://img.4plebs.org/boards/pol/image/1628/84/1628841657986.jpg

Aircraft of the next war will move too fast for visual detection. From the Ukraine "UFO" article:

>The main characteristic of the UFOs observed by Kyiv’s astronomers is their extremely high speed, which can only be detected with specialized equipment.

>“The eye does not fix phenomena lasting less than one-tenth of a second,” the study says. “It takes four-tenths of a second to recognize an event. Ordinary photo and video recordings will also not capture the UFO. To detect UAP [unidentified aerial phenomenon], you need to fine-tune the equipment: shutter speed, frame rate, and dynamic range.”
https://nypost.com/2022/09/14/ukrainian-astronomers-claim-ufos-everywhere-over-kyiv

Jim Wilkins

Sep 16, 2022, 8:06:35 AM9/16/22
"Matthew" wrote in message

>“The eye does not fix phenomena lasting less than one-tenth of a second,”
>the study says. “It takes four-tenths of a second to recognize an event.
>Ordinary photo and video recordings will also not capture the UFO. To
>detect UAP [unidentified aerial phenomenon], you need to fine-tune the
>equipment: shutter speed, frame rate, and dynamic range.”
https://nypost.com/2022/09/14/ukrainian-astronomers-claim-ufos-everywhere-over-kyiv

----------------------

It seems the writer of that has no personal experience such as
single-stepping through movies or recorded TV to re-examine something
noticed in rapidly changing scenes. The VLC Player is a good tool for this.
A single frame at 1/24th (film) or 1/30th (US TV) of a second may be visible
and remembered. Can you see fast-moving insects?

https://www.businessinsider.com/subliminal-ads-2011-5
I can make out single short words, longer ones aren't all in focus.

When I was a film maker's technical assistant we experimented with a
variable frame rate projector to explore visual persistence and "flicker
fusion" which are important for the frame-by-frame animation and stop-action
live actor filming he was doing. For me individual high contrast frames
could be distinguished at up to about 28 per second. I could see M60 tracer
bullets passing overhead, and I can still resolve the individual wheel
spokes of cars passing at 40MPH with my peripheral (side) but not my foveal
(central sharper) vision, which is indeed slower.

In 6th grade the Evelyn Wood people came around to promote their
speed-reading course and give a test to show us how badly we needed them. I
found I was already reading at 600 words a minute, 10 per second, and I wear
glasses for poor eyesight.

Matthew

Sep 16, 2022, 12:54:07 PM9/16/22
True, it does depend on the viewer somewhat. Many years ago I was watching TV and caught some of the ads flashing at the end of an ad break, right before returning to the show. The other people watching with me didn't see it, I had to get a camera and record next ad break to prove it.