Af/Pak & Other News (6/24/2012)

13 views
Skip to first unread message

dump...@hotmail.com

unread,
Jun 24, 2012, 10:13:59 PM6/24/12
to
Recent Taliban attacks show increased targeting of civilians:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2012/06/taliban_execute_fell.php



Cross-border attack: 11 militants killed in Upper Dir ambush:

http://tribune.com.pk/story/398789/cross-border-attack-11-afghan-militants-killed-in-upper-dir/




India, Pakistan agree to end skirmishes:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics/nation/india-pakistan-agree-to-end-skirmishes/articleshow/14379929.cms



Report: Venezuela supplied Iran with F-16 to prepare for possible strike:

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/report-venezuela-supplied-iran-with-f-16-to-prepare-for-possible-strike.premium-1.443406



Turkey bombs Kurd positions in Iraq:

http://213.158.162.45/~egyptian/index.php?action=news&id=26413&title=Turkey%20bombs%20Kurd%20positions%20in%20Iraq



Turkey seeks NATO action over Syria military jet downing:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/24/12382054-turkey-seeks-nato-action-over-syria-military-jet-downing?lite




Were the Turkish Phantoms ‘Teasing’ Syrian Air Defenses for NATO’s ELINT Collection?:

http://defense-update.com/20120624_were-the-turkish-phantoms-teasing-syrian-air-defenses-for-natos-elint-collection.html




Nigeria says it needs new anti-terrorism tactics:

http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCABRE85N0SM20120624



Tunisia sends ex-Libyan PM home:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/06/24/official-tunisia-sends-ex-libyan-pm-home/



S.Korea, US launch major naval exercise:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/SKorea_US_launch_major_naval_exercise_999.html




Chinese UAVs will be able to disrupt U.S. aircraft carrier operations in Taiwan Strait, South China Sea:

http://alert5.com/2012/06/25/chinese-uavs-will-be-able-to-disrupt-u-s-aircraft-carrier-operations-in-taiwan-strait-south-china-sea/



Chinese ship ‘accidentally rams’ Philippines boat:

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2012\06\25\story_25-6-2012_pg14_2



Philippines investigates human trafficking to Syria:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5j54MyKh2YPGVGY5-Y-v7TMYpEXDg?docId=CNG.acdcf494b0609bf5039278deaa622e45.571




Boeing Delivers 100th Modified Chinook to US Army:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Boeing_Delivers_100th_Modified_Chinook_to_US_Army_999.html





SolomonW

unread,
Jun 25, 2012, 5:33:07 AM6/25/12
to
On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 19:13:59 -0700 (PDT), dump...@hotmail.com wrote:

> India, Pakistan agree to end skirmishes:
>
> http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics/nation/india-pakistan-agree-to-end-skirmishes/articleshow/14379929.cms

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

David E. Powell

unread,
Jun 25, 2012, 8:24:16 AM6/25/12
to
On Jun 24, 10:13 pm, dumpst...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Recent Taliban attacks show increased targeting of civilians:
>
> http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2012/06/taliban_execute_fell.php

Well that's what they do.

> Report: Venezuela supplied Iran with F-16 to prepare for possible strike:
>
> http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/report-venezuela-supplied-i...

Hmm, if this happened I wonder why it didn't get more attention out
there?

> Were the Turkish Phantoms ‘Teasing’ Syrian Air Defenses for NATO’s ELINT Collection?:
>
> http://defense-update.com/20120624_were-the-turkish-phantoms-teasing-...

It could have been, or an operator got jumpy on the ground. Or the
government of Syria wants to use foreign threats as a rallying point,
though the syrian gov't has a lot of other issues to worry about right
now so I am not sure about the odds of that one.

> Nigeria says it needs new anti-terrorism tactics:
>
> http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCABRE85N0SM20120624

Yes, right now things there are officially not good. Lots of murders
and bombings and not much attention on it in the western TV news and
such, but seriously important.

> Tunisia sends ex-Libyan PM home:
>
> http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/06/24/official-tunisia-sends-ex-lib...

Uh oh for him....

> S.Korea, US launch major naval exercise:
>
> http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/SKorea_US_launch_major_naval_exerci...



> Chinese UAVs will be able to disrupt U.S. aircraft carrier operations in Taiwan Strait, South China Sea:
>
> http://alert5.com/2012/06/25/chinese-uavs-will-be-able-to-disrupt-u-s...

UAVs not so much directly, but maybe with GPS jammers or somesuch they
could be a headache. Still a Carrier maintains a pretty serious bubble
of air defense around it, so jammers would have to be strong. Now
shore based weapons and aircraft are a different story, as are
submarines. China has a bunch of those items.

> Chinese ship ‘accidentally rams’ Philippines boat:
>
> http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2012\06\25\story_25-6-2012_pg14_2

I believe it. Il Dottore's "Pass Taiwan and move to press the
Phillipines" analysis looks ot have weight to it, if they can at least
threaten in that area it draws attention.

Also the Phillipines have less of a Navy in power levels than Taiwan
does, air power too. Getting both up to a higher level will take some
time and a concentrated effort. The Chinese have a blue water fleet
and are building on it right now. Air power can help deter naval
forces far from their home, which is probably why the Phillipines are
buying those Korean T-50 jets to lead things off.

> Philippines investigates human trafficking to Syria:
>
> http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5j54MyKh2YPGVGY5-Y-...
>
> Boeing Delivers 100th Modified Chinook to US Army:
>
> http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Boeing_Delivers_100th_Modified_Chin...

Millville NJ modifies them and a local paper had something about it.

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/breaking/millville-factory-delivers-its-th-chinook-helicopter-to-u-s/article_6a7ab86a-bcbc-11e1-9928-001a4bcf887a.html?photo=2

<http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/breaking/millville-factory-
delivers-its-th-chinook-helicopter-to-u-s/article_6a7ab86a-
bcbc-11e1-9928-001a4bcf887a.html?photo=2>

David
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages