Af/Pak & Other News (2/15/2013)

dump...@hotmail.com

Feb 15, 2013, 12:40:08 PM2/15/13
Main Hurdle in Afghan Withdrawal: Getting the Gear Out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/15/world/middleeast/afghan-withdrawals-main-hurdle-getting-gear-out.html?_r=0

Afghan army trains women for special forces:

http://news.msn.com/world/afghan-army-trains-women-for-special-forces

Pak successfully tests nuclear-capable Hatf-II missile:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/pak-successfully-tests-nuclearcapable-hatfii-missile/article4418360.ece

Pakistan owns about 90-110 nuclear warheads: report:

http://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2013/02/15/news/national/pakistan-owns-about-90-110-nuclear-warheads-report-2/

Lockheed Martin Will Upgrade Apaches:

http://defensetech.org/2013/02/14/lockheed-martin-will-upgrade-apaches/

Retired Lt. Gen. Deptula: Drones Best Weapons We've Got For Accuracy,
Control, Oversight; Critics Don't Get It:

http://defense.aol.com/2013/02/15/retired-gen-deputula-drones-best-weapons-weve-got-for-accurac/

India Suspends AW101 Payments Over Bribery Probe:

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/ain-defense-perspective/2013-02-15/india-suspends-aw101-payments-over-bribery-probe

Iran mourns slain senior military commander:

http://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2013/02/14/report-senior-iranian-official-in-lebanon-killed

Analysis: Slain IRGC man ‘important as Mugniyah’:

http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Article.aspx?id=303371

Turkey fires back after Syrian shell hits: report:

http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2013/02/15/266405.html

Activists: 150 Killed in Clashes for Syria Airport:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/activists-150-killed-clashes-syria-airport-18510766

Egypt seizes 2 tons of explosives headed to Sinai:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/middle-east/egypt-seizes-2-tons-of-explosives-headed-to-sinai-1.503811

Libya needs help to secure borders: foreign minister:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29426:libya-needs-help-to-secure-borders-foreign-minister&catid=87:border-security&Itemid=188

Counter-insurgency tasks tie down French in Mali:

http://news.msn.com/world/counter-insurgency-tasks-tie-down-french-in-mali

In Timbuktu, al-Qaeda Left Behind a Manifesto:

http://world.time.com/2013/02/15/in-timbuktu-al-qaeda-left-behind-a-manifesto/

Al Qaeda in Mali sought to hide foreign designs:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2013/02/al_qaeda_in_mali_sou.php

U.S. targets finances of leader of al Qaeda in Mali:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29458:us-targets-finances-of-leader-of-al-qaeda-in-mali&catid=49:National%20Security&Itemid=115

Italian defence boss resigns over India bribe scandal:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/Europe/Italian-defence-boss-resigns-over-India-bribe-scandal/Article1-1012264.aspx

Bulgaria expels Hamas delegation:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matrix/archives/2013/02/bulgaria_expels_hamas_delegati.php

Report: 1,000 injured by meteorite in eastern Russia:

http://news.msn.com/world/nearly-1000-injured-by-meteorite-in-eastern-russia

Military experts doubt Sweden’s ability to defend itself:

http://www.defencetalk.com/military-experts-doubt-swedens-ability-to-defend-itself-46820/

N. Korea upgrading missile site, research group says:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57569469/n-korea-upgrading-missile-site-research-group-says/

CCTV shows footage of Changhe WZ-10 attack helicopter:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline//2013/02/cctv-shows-footage-of-changhe.html

North Korea tells China it's planning fresh nuclear test:

http://news.msn.com/world/north-korea-tells-china-its-planning-fresh-nuclear-test

Technical Delays, Budget Cuts Kill LEMV Airship:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/awx_02_15_2013_p0-549356.xml

Army samples ocean floor for underwater munitions project:

http://www.defencetalk.com/army-samples-ocean-floor-for-underwater-munitions-project-46817/

Army Taking to the Skies:

http://nation.time.com/2013/02/15/army-taking-to-the-skies/

USAF to reconvene not reopen F-22 crash investigation:

http://alert5.com/2013/02/14/usaf-to-reconvene-not-reopen-f-22-crash-investigation/

Yes, the feds really want to buy 1.6 billion bullets:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/02/14/4622919/yes-the-feds-really-want-to-buy.html

Navy Boeing P-8 maritime patrol jet to receive anti-submarine warfare
(ASW) system upgrades:

http://www.militaryaerospace.com/articles/2013/02/P8-ASW-upgrades.html

Doped nanotubes boost lithium battery power three-fold:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/14/doped_nanotubes_lithium_battery/

Budget Woes Threaten U.S. Carrier Fleet:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/AW_02_11_2013_p30-545209.xml

Andrew Swallow

Feb 15, 2013, 1:40:19 PM2/15/13
On 15/02/2013 17:40, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
> In Timbuktu, al-Qaeda Left Behind a Manifesto:
>
> http://world.time.com/2013/02/15/in-timbuktu-al-qaeda-left-behind-a-manifesto/

I read this document as saying that Al Qaeda is planning to take over
Africa by being a puppet master - moving behind the scenes and
introducing new rules slowly.

Andrew Swallow

dott.Piergiorgio

Feb 15, 2013, 6:14:08 PM2/15/13
Il 15/02/2013 18:40, dump...@hotmail.com ha scritto:
> In Timbuktu, al-Qaeda Left Behind a Manifesto:
>
> http://world.time.com/2013/02/15/in-timbuktu-al-qaeda-left-behind-a-manifesto/

> Al Qaeda in Mali sought to hide foreign designs:
>
> http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2013/02/al_qaeda_in_mali_sou.php

really interesting news.... and I have some hunch on the whys of the
leak of critical intel.

but the fact is plain and can led to *interesting* developments:
shifting the war for hearts and minds into fields favourable to
democracy *IS* a major strategic victory (and tip the scales in favour
for an "Islamic Renaissance" solution). Knowing oneself's assets and the
enemy's ones is a tenet for true victory, and Democracy's assets are far
superior, and a wise enemy reckon this, accepting the only possible
outcome. and that isn't a Pindaric thought is shown by a recent
precedent. Behind the fall of the Berlin wall was Gorbachev's attempt to
inject Democratic elements into soviet Communism, whose ending is well
known (and vindicated Italian Communists (whose known how Democracy
works better than others and was in the right in assessing how Communism
should be implemented)

let's wait that those Italian general elections (that is, Italy proper
and that little theocracy inside, (whose significantly has done a
significant step toward some form of Democracy)) and the paralysis in
the very center of Mediterranean Sea ends and the main show begins :)

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

dott.Piergiorgio

Feb 15, 2013, 6:16:05 PM2/15/13
Andrew, you disappoint me... try to think in broader, more far-reaching
terms... look my previous posts for some insights ;)

Andrew Swallow

Feb 16, 2013, 12:27:52 AM2/16/13
I was just noting what they were doing. You were suggesting how Cold
War political strategy could be used against Al Qaeda.

Andrew Swallow

dott.Piergiorgio

Feb 16, 2013, 7:38:33 PM2/16/13
Il 16/02/2013 06:27, Andrew Swallow ha scritto:

>>> I read this document as saying that Al Qaeda is planning to take over
>>> Africa by being a puppet master - moving behind the scenes and
>>> introducing new rules slowly.
>>
>> Andrew, you disappoint me... try to think in broader, more far-reaching
>> terms... look my previous posts for some insights ;)
>>
>> Best regards from Italy,
>> dott. Piergiorgio.
>>

> I was just noting what they were doing. You were suggesting how Cold
> War political strategy could be used against Al Qaeda.

there's a major difference: US can directly influence AQ's
policy-making, but must be done sparingly, cautiously and wisely; and
this is why I'm really circumspect on the motivation of this "intel
press leak"

jonathan

Feb 16, 2013, 8:44:21 PM2/16/13

"dott.Piergiorgio" <chied...@ask.me> wrote in message
Well if this was some deliberate leak by the US to influence
Al Qaeda, the message might be they might be more
successful if they tone down the extremism.

Within a democracy, the US doesn't
have any problem with Islamic Law.

Andrew Swallow

Feb 17, 2013, 3:37:02 AM2/17/13
On 17/02/2013 01:44, jonathan wrote:
{snip}
> Within a democracy, the US doesn't
> have any problem with Islamic Law.

The USA may be unhappy with stoning women for adultly and cutting the
hands off thieves.

Andrew Swallow

Daryl

Feb 17, 2013, 5:14:48 AM2/17/13
But we may not have a problem of cutting the hands off
Politicians though.

Daryl

--
http://tvmoviesforfree.com
for free movies and Nostalgic TV. Tons of Military shows and

jonathan

Feb 17, 2013, 11:48:56 AM2/17/13

"Andrew Swallow" <am.sw...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
As I said, within a democracy. Such crimes, any crimes, aren't
sanctioned under any form of democracy. Islamic law
can operated just fine within the rule of law. Iraq, Libya and
Egypt are trying to prove that point as we speak.
They'll succeed sooner or later.

If you really want to know what modern mainstream
Islamic law is, and what it believes in, go to the source.
Perhaps the most respected Ayatollah of all, and the
savior of the American invasion, the Iraqi democracy
and one of the most educated philosophers of our time.

Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani
http://www.sistani.org/

And click Islamic Law.

There's no inherent contradictions with democracy and human rights.
Quite the contrary. It's important to keep the eye on the ball, it's
democracy vs dictatorship not religion vs secular, that matters.

> Andrew Swallow

Message has been deleted

Daryl

Feb 17, 2013, 3:44:38 PM2/17/13
On 2/17/2013 10:57 AM, David E. Powell wrote:
> On Sunday, February 17, 2013 5:14:48 AM UTC-5, Daryl wrote:
>> On 2/17/2013 1:37 AM, Andrew Swallow wrote:
>>
>>> On 17/02/2013 01:44, jonathan wrote:
>>
>>> {snip}

>>> The USA may be unhappy with stoning women for adultly and cutting
>>
>>> the hands off thieves.
>>

>>> Andrew Swallow
>>

>> But we may not have a problem of cutting the hands off
>>
>> Politicians though.
>>

>> Daryl
>
> Nah, I am sure if we tried cutting the hands off people who are polticians and cronies in the financial markets who robbed the people and crashed the system our government would strenuously object.

If we also cut out the tongues then they can't complain with no
tongue or hands to sign with. See, it all works out.....

dott.Piergiorgio

Feb 17, 2013, 6:52:18 PM2/17/13
Il 17/02/2013 17:48, jonathan ha scritto:

> Ali al-Sistani

also I known mainstream Islam, both Sunni and Shia, but, trust me, I
will never consider a shia version of christian democratic parties as an
effective source and prime mover of modernisation and innovation (Shia
islam is more akin to RC christianism) albeit I assess the sunni variant
of CD Parties capable of doing some good work...

dott.Piergiorgio

Feb 17, 2013, 7:14:23 PM2/17/13
Il 17/02/2013 17:48, jonathan ha scritto:
> "Andrew Swallow" <am.sw...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> On 17/02/2013 01:44, jonathan wrote:
>> {snip}
>>> Within a democracy, the US doesn't
>>> have any problem with Islamic Law.
>>
>> The USA may be unhappy with stoning women for adultly and cutting the
>> hands off thieves.
>

> As I said, within a democracy. Such crimes, any crimes, aren't
> sanctioned under any form of democracy. Islamic law
> can operated just fine within the rule of law. Iraq, Libya and
> Egypt are trying to prove that point as we speak.
> They'll succeed sooner or later.
>
> If you really want to know what modern mainstream
> Islamic law is, and what it believes in, go to the source.
> Perhaps the most respected Ayatollah of all, and the
> savior of the American invasion, the Iraqi democracy
> and one of the most educated philosophers of our time.
>
> Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani
> http://www.sistani.org/
>

> And click Islamic Law.

side note, this fatwa of him is rather interesting, because is
intrinsically Jesuitic:

Answer: It is permissible to eat if the doubt is whether it has been
extracted from an animal or vegetable. But, if it is known that it was
derived from an animal, then it is not permissible to eat without
ascertaining that the animal was slaughtered according to sharí‘a. This
prohibition applies, as a matter of obligatory precaution, even if it
was extracted from animal bones.
Of course, if a chemical change occurs in the original ingredients
during the process of manufacturing the gelatin, there is no problem at
all in eating it. Similarly, even if one has doubt whether the animal
was slaughtered Islamically or not, still there is no problem in adding
the gelatin [made from that animal] to the food in such a minute amont
that it is completely absorbed in it.

of course, industrial food processing (canned meat, for example) always
involves "chemical changes"... In other words, every processed meat is
permissible, provided that isn't of impure animals

Ian B MacLure

Feb 17, 2013, 9:07:31 PM2/17/13
Andrew Swallow <am.sw...@btinternet.com> wrote in
Boiling a frog slowly is an old tactic.
The secret is not leting the frog catch on and that pitch seems to
have been queered. Question is whather the frogs will in fact take
notice.

T'other thing is the need to target Al-Qaeda wherever they raise
their ugly heads.

Andrew Swallow

Feb 17, 2013, 9:20:34 PM2/17/13
Most Ayatollahs talk like that.

Andrew Swallow

Andrew Swallow

Feb 17, 2013, 9:43:45 PM2/17/13
In the West we have direct access to both the world's media and
Hollywood. We can tell the frogs what is going on and when to jump out
of the pot. Out politicians are experts at using the media to talk to
the general public, that is how they got elected.

Unfortunately where as 'Zero Dark Thirty' did adequately in the USA it
is not getting many viewers outside.

Andrew Swallow

Dennis

Feb 18, 2013, 1:29:25 AM2/18/13
dott.Piergiorgio wrote:

>> Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani
>> http://www.sistani.org/

He always did seem like a fairly sane fellow. He could tell Muqtada al-
Sadr what to do, and did keep him from going too far.

>> And click Islamic Law.
>
> side note, this fatwa of him is rather interesting, because is
> intrinsically Jesuitic:
>
> Answer: It is permissible to eat if the doubt is whether it has been
> extracted from an animal or vegetable. But, if it is known that it was
> derived from an animal, then it is not permissible to eat without
> ascertaining that the animal was slaughtered according to sharí‘a.
> This prohibition applies, as a matter of obligatory precaution, even
> if it was extracted from animal bones.
> Of course, if a chemical change occurs in the original ingredients
> during the process of manufacturing the gelatin, there is no problem
> at all in eating it. Similarly, even if one has doubt whether the
> animal was slaughtered Islamically or not, still there is no problem
> in adding the gelatin [made from that animal] to the food in such a
> minute amont that it is completely absorbed in it.
>
> of course, industrial food processing (canned meat, for example)
> always involves "chemical changes"... In other words, every processed
> meat is permissible, provided that isn't of impure animals

The one I always liked, from al-Sistani and Khomeini also, what that you
aren't supposed to wipe your ass toward Mecca, and privies should be built
accordingly.

Dennis

Dennis

Feb 18, 2013, 1:39:17 AM2/18/13
jonathan wrote:

> "Andrew Swallow" <amm> wrote in message

>> On 17/02/2013 01:44, jonathan wrote:
>> {snip}
>>> Within a democracy, the US doesn't
>>> have any problem with Islamic Law.
>>
>> The USA may be unhappy with stoning women for adultly and cutting the
>> hands off thieves.
>
> As I said, within a democracy. Such crimes, any crimes, aren't
> sanctioned under any form of democracy. Islamic law
> can operated just fine within the rule of law.

We would punish thieves with jail sentences, not by cutting off their
hands.

Within the US, Jewish rabbinic courts, betai-din, sit and may hear civil
cases between Jews. If the parties enter the dispute with the
authorities, the beth-din's decision is enforced by the secular
authority, if necessary.

No doubt something similar could be done with Muslim courts. But the
Jewish courts are for civil cases only; they're not allowed to apply
halachic law to criminal cases. The same would apply to Shari'ah
courts.

In any case, our society would never allow such penalties as stoning or
amputation.

> Iraq, Libya and
> Egypt are trying to prove that point as we speak.
> They'll succeed sooner or later.

Will they have public floggings? Amputations? Stonings? Even Iran is
notionally a democracy, and they have those to some extent. I don't
know if Singapore is any sort of democracy, and they have caning.

> If you really want to know what modern mainstream
> Islamic law is, and what it believes in, go to the source.
> Perhaps the most respected Ayatollah of all, and the
> savior of the American invasion, the Iraqi democracy
> and one of the most educated philosophers of our time.
>
> Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani
> http://www.sistani.org/
>
> And click Islamic Law.

Yes, he does seem a fairly sane fellow. Certainly very well educated in
his tradition, but I don't know if you could compare him to Western
philosophers, or Confucius or the Dalai Lama, either.

> There's no inherent contradictions with democracy and human rights.
> Quite the contrary. It's important to keep the eye on the ball, it's
> democracy vs dictatorship not religion vs secular, that matters.

I'm not so sure. Western experience certainly doesn't agree with that.

Dennis

Dennis

Feb 18, 2013, 1:44:34 AM2/18/13
jonathan wrote:

>>> I was just noting what they were doing. You were suggesting how
>>> Cold War political strategy could be used against Al Qaeda.
>>
>> there's a major difference: US can directly influence AQ's
>> policy-making, but must be done sparingly, cautiously and wisely; and
>> this is why I'm really circumspect on the motivation of this "intel
>> press leak"

Indeed! This wasn't a 'manifesto' for public release, but an internal al-
Qaeda document, one the CIA might have put a lot of effort into stealing
under other circumstances. So why is this made public at all? Would the
CIA have leaked it if an agent had secretly copied it instead? I don't get
it.

> Well if this was some deliberate leak by the US to influence
> Al Qaeda, the message might be they might be more
> successful if they tone down the extremism.

The document itself says to give the appearance of doing that, and being
more severe later.

Dennis