Af/Pak & Other News (3/15/2012)

dump...@hotmail.com

Mar 15, 2012, 1:12:35 PM3/15/12
In Reactions to Two Incidents, a U.S.-Afghan Disconnect:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/15/world/asia/disconnect-clear-in-us-bafflement-over-2-afghan-responses.html

Nobody Wants to Stay in Afghanistan Any More (Except a Few Generals):

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/03/afghanistan-withdrawal-debate/

Karzai calls for NATO to leave villages; Taliban scrap talks:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-afghanistan-taliban,0,2716049.story

Afghan interpreter attempted attack on Panetta’s C-17:

http://alert5.com/2012/03/15/afghan-interpreter-attempted-attack-on-panettas-c-17/

Spy Blimp Caught Rogue Soldier on Tape After Shooting Spree:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/03/afghanistan-massacre-video/

Afghan fury as US soldier accused of massacre is flown to Kuwait:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/9144829/Afghan-fury-as-US-soldier-accused-of-massacre-is-flown-to-Kuwait.html

Russian air base offered to U.S. for Afghan transit:

http://alert5.com/2012/03/15/russian-air-base-offered-to-u-s-for-afghan-transit/

Four Polish soldiers face retrial in Afghan war crimes case:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Four_Polish_soldiers_face_retrial_in_Afghan_war_crimes_case_999.html

Afghan Shooting Highlights Military’s God-Awful Track Record on Brain
Injuries:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/03/army-tbi-treatment/

Swiss couple escape from Pakistan Taliban captivity:

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/03/15/pakistan-swiss-hostages-idINDEE82E03Y20120315?feedType=RSS&feedName=southAsiaNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2FINsouthAsiaNews+%28News+%2F+IN+%2F+South+Asia+News%29

Cyber-attack on BBC leads to suspicion of Iran's involvement:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17365416

Iraqi insurgents destroyed 4 Apaches using photos downloaded from
Internet:

http://alert5.com/2012/03/15/iraqi-insurgents-destroyed-4-apaches-using-photos-downloaded-from-internet/

Turkish jets strike north Iraq: rebels:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Turkish_jets_strike_north_Iraq_rebels_999.html

Refugees flood out of Syria as Bashar Assad's military pummels rebels:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/15/10697935-refugees-flood-out-of-syria-as-bashar-assads-military-pummels-rebels

Assad emails show he took Iran's advice, joked about reforms -
Guardian:

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/03/14/syria-assad-emails-idINDEE82D0LK20120314

Sky Sapience unveils hovering UAV for surveillance.:

http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Article.aspx?id=261914

Elbit's Mystery Sale to Latin America:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&newspaperUserId=27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckPostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3a4982f0e0-5d66-4eb6-97c1-5dbe7bd65c54&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

Libya may get ex-UAE Mirage 2000s:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=24397:libya-may-get-ex-uae-mirage-2000s&catid=35:Aerospace&Itemid=107

Germany Boosts Multirole Capability of Shrinking Tornado Fleet:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120313/DEFREG01/303130005/Germany-Boosts-Multirole-Capability-Shrinking-Tornado-Fleet?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

The Swedish Armed Forces Want to Upgrade Gripen:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/133574/swedish-military-detail-gripen-upgrade-plan.html

HMS Dragon and Defender begin sea trials:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=24366:hms-dragon-and-defender-begin-sea-trials&catid=51:Sea&Itemid=106

First test firing of new Chinese SAM:

http://alert5.com/2012/03/15/first-test-firing-of-new-chinese-sam/

U.K., U.S. Outline Future Cyber Cooperation:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120314/DEFREG02/303140002/U-K-U-S-Outline-Future-Cyber-Cooperation?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Heat Vision: US Teen Series Fighters Getting IRST:

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/f-18-super-hornets-to-get-irst-03429/

HASC chair: Don’t mothball the cruisers, upgrade them:

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2012/03/14/hasc-chair-dont-mothball-the-cruisers-upgrade-them/

UFO buzzed Chilean F-5s at El Bosque Air Base:

http://alert5.com/2012/03/15/ufo-buzzed-chilean-f-5s-at-el-bosque-air-base/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/leslie-kean/the-extraordinary-ufo-sig_b_1342585.html

Andrew Swallow

Mar 15, 2012, 9:24:36 PM3/15/12
On 15/03/2012 17:12, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Karzai calls for NATO to leave villages; Taliban scrap talks:
>
> http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-afghanistan-taliban,0,2716049.story

Sounds like the Taliban think that they are winning and do not need to talk.

I think a gesture of solidarity with the families would be appropriate.
Sell the farms of the Taliban bosses and give the money to the
families of the victims.

Andrew Swallow

dott.Piergiorgio

Mar 16, 2012, 3:38:45 AM3/16/12
Il 16/03/2012 02:24, Andrew Swallow ha scritto:
> On 15/03/2012 17:12, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Karzai calls for NATO to leave villages; Taliban scrap talks:
>>
>> http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-afghanistan-taliban,0,2716049.story
>>

> Sounds like the Taliban think that they are winning and do not need to
> talk.

isn't what you think; both taliban and Afghani gov't has correctly
assessed that on one side United States dip position is weakened, and on
the other side the popular outrage was larger than expected, and both
afgani sides known perfectly that US will never hand over the culprit of
the recent gratuitous carnage, and this isn't exactly what Afghani
people want to hear (and afgani people are capable of "wild horse" lone
wolf action, as shown in the recent airbase incident.

all three parties (US gov't, Afghani gov't and talibans) understand that
they're dealing with a major fire nearby a powder magazine (the mutual
disarm of US and afghani troops inside that airbase during Panetta's
visit was obviously attempted to reduce the risk of really dangerous sparks)

with armed troops and people fed up and war-weary is too easy that a
crossfire starts with the obvious unplesant consequences (and no one in
America want a repeat of Saigon and/or a fighting anabasis in an
election year...)

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

dump...@hotmail.com

Mar 16, 2012, 1:36:31 PM3/16/12
So, is it real, or is it PhotoShop?

If it's real, what is it?

Jonathan

Mar 16, 2012, 10:36:56 PM3/16/12

"dott.Piergiorgio" <chied...@ask.me> wrote in message
One of the biggest problems with a dictatorship is figuring out
what the people of that country want. We couldn't
hold a referendum in Iraq to see if the Iraqi people
wanted us to invade or not. Same for Afghanistan at first.

The whole point is to change that, so the people can express
their opinions and get what they want.

Victory for America comes at the point when the people clearly
tell us to ...leave, since democracy is our goal.

Jonathan