Af/Pak & Other News (12/13/2012)

dump...@hotmail.com

Dec 13, 2012, 12:53:59 PM12/13/12
Panetta left before Afghan suicide car bomb kills 2 near NATO base:

http://news.msn.com/world/panetta-left-before-afghan-suicide-car-bomb-kills-2-near-nato-base

Pakistan extends refugee status for Afghans by six months:

http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-pakistan-afghan-refugees-20121213,0,7534396.story

Wounded Afghan Spy Chief Sent to U.S. for Treatment:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/14/world/asia/wounded-afghan-spy-chief-sent-to-us-for-treatment.html

Aerosonde Unmanned Air Vehicle Provides Marines ISR Support:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/141006/aerosonde-uav-provides-isr-support-to-marines.html

Report On Progress Toward Security And Stability In Afghanistan:

http://www.defense.gov/pubs/pdfs/1230_Report_final.pdf

India could seek damages from Russia over delays with INS
Vikramaditya:

http://alert5.com/2012/12/13/india-could-seek-damages-from-russia-over-delays-with-ins-vikramaditya/

India, Israel May Work Together on More Weapons:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20121212/DEFREG03/312120006/India-Israel-May-Work-Together-More-Weapons?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

As IAEA arrives in Iran, new satellite imagery purports to show
construction at Parchin:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/middle-east/as-iaea-arrives-in-iran-new-satellite-imagery-purports-to-show-construction-at-parchin-1.484597

Oman – F-16 A/C Weapon Systems:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/141015/oman-to-buy-%24117m-arms-package-for-f_16.html

First C-130J for Iraq delivered:

http://alert5.com/2012/12/13/first-c-130j-for-iraq-delivered/

Turkey Plans To Build up to 8 Frigates:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20121212/DEFREG01/312120003/Turkey-Plans-Build-up-8-Frigates?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Russia: Assad 'losing control'; 16 killed in car bomb near Damascus:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/middle-east/russia-assad-losing-control-16-killed-in-car-bomb-near-damascus-1.484623

Syria Fires Scud Missiles, Burning Bombs and Even Sea Mines at Rebels:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/12/syria-scud-incendiaries/

Scud: 'Entry level' ballistic missile:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20712241

Israeli Patriot Replacement:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htada/articles/20121213.aspx

International Customers Line Up To Peruse Airborne ISR:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/AW_12_10_2012_p37-522954.xml

In Egypt, Ansar al Sharia Brigades posts hit list:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matrix/archives/2012/12/in_egypt_ansar_al_sharia_briga.php

Millions in Ransoms Fuel Militants’ Clout in West Africa:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/13/world/africa/kidnappings-fuel-extremists-in-western-africa.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

U.S. escalates African counter-terror war:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/US_escalates_African_counter-terror_war_999.html

Lawyer: Poisoned Spy Was Working for UK's MI6:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/lawyer-poisoned-spy-working-uks-mi6-17959168

Russian space research org targeted by mystery malware attack:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/12/russian_cyberespionage_attack/

Briton jailed for plot to pass nuclear sub secrets to Russia:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Briton_jailed_for_plot_to_pass_nuclear_sub_secrets_to_Russia_999.html

Trial of Unmanned Aerial System in a Maritime Environment:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/141007/uk-details-plans-for-maritime-uav-trials.html

Australia seeks information for more Super Hornets:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/australia-seeks-information-for-more-super-hornets-380171/

JASDF scrambles 8 F-15Js to intercept Chinese plane entering disputed
islands:

http://alert5.com/2012/12/13/jasdf-scrambles-8-f-15js-to-intercept-chinese-plane-entering-disputed-islands/

China marks Nanjing massacre amid tense Japan ties:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asia/325987/china-marks-nanjing-massacre-amid-tense-japan-ties

For North Korea, next step is a nuclear test:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/13/us-korea-north-rocket-idUSBRE8BB02K20121213

North Korea’s Satellite Is Out of Control: Why This Is Very Bad News:

http://gizmodo.com/5968007/north-korea-satellite-out-of-control-why-this-is-very-bad-news?tag=weapons

Ottawa Officially Scraps F-35 Purchase As Audit Pegs F-35 Costs at $45
Billion:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/141020/ottawa-officially-scraps-f_35-purchase.html

Free download: World Air Forces 2013:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2012/12/free-download-world-air-forces.html

Pentagon Warns: ‘Pervasive’ Industrial Spying Targets U.S. Space Tech:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/12/space-espionage/

Lawmakers Block Pentagon Spy Plan:

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2012/12/12/lawmakers-block-pentagon-spy-plan/

NTU’s ‘sense-ational’ invention helps underwater vessels navigate with
ease:

http://www.defencetalk.com/ntus-sense-ational-invention-helps-underwater-vessels-navigate-with-ease-45958/

7 Secret Ways America’s Stealth Armada Stays Off the Radar:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/12/steath-secrets/

Rockwell Collins to modernize U.S. Navy E-6B avionics:

http://www.avionics-intelligence.com/articles/2012/12/rockwell-modernization.html

Expiring Warrantless Spy Bill to Be Reauthorized by Year’s End:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/12/fisa-act-reauthorization/

U.S. judge orders 9/11 suspects' CIA experience kept secret:

http://news.yahoo.com/u-judge-orders-9-11-suspects-cia-experience-192331278.html

'Affordability' Will Dictate Army's Armed Aerial Scout Decision:

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=7c996cd7-cbb4-4018-baf8-8825eada7aa2&ID=995&RootFolder=%2Fblog%2FLists%2FPosts

Project moves ahead to develop mini-submarines for covert special
operations forces:

http://www.militaryaerospace.com/articles/2012/12/socom-mini-subs.html

Quantum networks may be more realistic than we thought:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2012/12/quantum-networks-may-be-more-realistic-than-we-thought/

dott.Piergiorgio

Dec 13, 2012, 10:56:32 PM12/13/12
Il 13/12/2012 18:53, dump...@hotmail.com ha scritto:
> India could seek damages from Russia over delays with INS
> Vikramaditya:
>
> http://alert5.com/2012/12/13/india-could-seek-damages-from-russia-over-delays-with-ins-vikramaditya/

/tongue in cheek mode ON

one can also insinuate that keeping warm the row with a certain country
known for their rather unusual and effective methods of dealing with
hostile capital ships is one of the "honourable means of disposal of
embarassing warship" India keeps available around....

/tongue in cheek mode OFF

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

p.s. OTOH, I can also insinuate the opposite reason for the issue, that
is, there's no much defects on INS Vikramaditya but India prefer to keep
her in the more safe neutral harbour for the same reasons cited above ;)

Dennis

Dec 14, 2012, 7:35:26 PM12/14/12
dott.Piergiorgio wrote:

> Il 13/12/2012 18:53, dump...@hotmail.com ha scritto:
>> India could seek damages from Russia over delays with INS
>> Vikramaditya:
>>
>> http://alert5.com/2012/12/13/india-could-seek-damages-from-russia-over
>> -delays-with-ins-vikramaditya/
>
> /tongue in cheek mode ON
>
> one can also insinuate that keeping warm the row with a certain
> country known for their rather unusual and effective methods of
> dealing with hostile capital ships

??? Please explain! The Russians tried to use missiles, submarines, and
long-range bombers to deal with US aircraft carriers. ?

dott.Piergiorgio

Dec 14, 2012, 10:06:30 PM12/14/12
Il 15/12/2012 01:35, Dennis ha scritto:
> dott.Piergiorgio wrote:
>
>> Il 13/12/2012 18:53, dump...@hotmail.com ha scritto:
>>> India could seek damages from Russia over delays with INS
>>> Vikramaditya:
>>>
>>> http://alert5.com/2012/12/13/india-could-seek-damages-from-russia-over
>>> -delays-with-ins-vikramaditya/
>>
>> /tongue in cheek mode ON
>>
>> one can also insinuate that keeping warm the row with a certain
>> country known for their rather unusual and effective methods of
>> dealing with hostile capital ships
>
> ??? Please explain! The Russians tried to use missiles, submarines, and
> long-range bombers to deal with US aircraft carriers. ?

you known the issue Italy has with India about two Italian Marò ?
I refer to my country, and India has capital ships, and Italy has a
near-secular tradition of sinking capital ships in enemy bases (Viribus
Unitis, Valiant... and also Indian carrier's names begins with V :D )

the tongue-in-cheek is also about the russian conspiro theory that the
loss of the Novirossisk (ex-Giulio Cesare) was done by unauthorized (or
covert) Italian action...

Dennis

Dec 15, 2012, 2:19:29 AM12/15/12
dott.Piergiorgio wrote:

> Il 15/12/2012 01:35, Dennis ha scritto:
>> dott.Piergiorgio wrote:

>>> /tongue in cheek mode ON
>>>
>>> one can also insinuate that keeping warm the row with a certain
>>> country known for their rather unusual and effective methods of
>>> dealing with hostile capital ships
>>
>> ??? Please explain! The Russians tried to use missiles, submarines,
>> and long-range bombers to deal with US aircraft carriers. ?
>
> you known the issue Italy has with India about two Italian Marň ?

No.

> I refer to my country, and India has capital ships, and Italy has a
> near-secular tradition of sinking capital ships in enemy bases
> (Viribus Unitis, Valiant... and also Indian carrier's names begins
> with V :D )

Yes, Italy is very good at that! Thanks for the reminder.

> the tongue-in-cheek is also about the russian conspiro theory that the
> loss of the Novirossisk (ex-Giulio Cesare) was done by unauthorized
> (or covert) Italian action...

I hadn't heard that one either, but it makes "sense". ;-)

Dennis

dott.Piergiorgio

Dec 15, 2012, 8:36:22 PM12/15/12
Il 15/12/2012 08:19, Dennis ha scritto:
> dott.Piergiorgio wrote:

>>> ??? Please explain! The Russians tried to use missiles, submarines,
>>> and long-range bombers to deal with US aircraft carriers. ?
>>
>> you known the issue Italy has with India about two Italian Marò ?
>
> No.

in two word, the commander and one of the men of a MarDet of the San
Marco aboard an Italian commerce ship was arrested by Indian local
authority (that of Kerala) with charges of (alleged) murder, after said
commerce ship was lured into the port of Kerala thru a very questionable
trick, and there's a joke of trial ongoing, and here in Italy many in
the military (not only in the Navy, a rather unique thing here) are
slowly losing their patience on the lack of strong .gov initiative &
support for their release...