DALLAS TEXAS hang gliding wanted!!!

sea...@peak.org

Jun 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/4/95

We are looking for a hang gliding service in or around the Dallas/FtWorth
are. Are there any and what are the costs, requirements, and service
specifics available.

Tried it in Oregon and loved it. Any help is appreciated.

Brad

Ted Tudor

Jun 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/5/95
I'm not sure about the DFW area, but in Austin you can contact

Red River Aircraft
512-467-2529

Johnny Hardwick

Jun 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/6/95

I am from Austin and I am interested in paragliding. Does anyone know of
paragliding instruction in the Austin area? Any idea of costs? I was also
wondering where people in the Austin area go to hang glide/paraglide. Any
info appreciated!

Thanks,
johnnyha
Johnny Hardwick Austin, Texas john...@bga.com

Bruce Mahoney

Jun 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/6/95
sea...@PEAK.ORG wrote:

>We are looking for a hang gliding service in or around the Dallas/FtWorth

Try email to "soa...@swt.edu" a email list for the Texas area.

There's several NorthTexasHangGlidingAssoc. members on it that
should put you in contact of a few dealer/inst.

Soar Well

Robin Hastings

Jun 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/8/95
In article <3qsvld$o...@PEAK.ORG>, sea...@PEAK.ORG says:

>Tried it in Oregon and loved it. Any help is appreciated.
>
>Brad

The names to look for are Kent Robinson, in north Dallas (look for
his phone number under New Listings, he's only been there for 3 months)
and Tim Doogs, in Ft. Worth. Tim Doogs is tandem qualified. Both are
excellent pilots and really nice guys. I'll try to post their phone
numbers for you tomorrow. Good luck, and welcome to hang gliding!
- Robin Hastings

Pete Hammer

Jun 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/8/95
Howdy!
I finally got my news access up, saw your note about HG/PG in the Dallas area.
Here's the poop:

We have 3-4 active or semi-active instructors in the DFW area. Two are tandem
rated, however, one of those two is 'Dino' Dave Broyles, whose last last tandem
flight was the one that preinjured his right arm, so that it would snap a week later
on tow at Hobbs in July 91. He hasn't flown tandem since, and probably never will
again. He took up PG and finally got back into HG. He lives in Allen, just
north of Dallas. He primarily teaches via Scooter tow.

Tim Doogs is actively instructing, and does include tandem tows. He is in Ft.
Worth. Much of the training by any instructor takes place at the Trinity river
levees, both in Dallas and Ft. Worth. Tim is affiliated with Jeff Hunt of Red
River Aircraft in Austin.

Kent Robinson moved up here from Austin, but has been busy doing move and job
things. He instructs under the name Cloudstreets, but as he just moved again to a
new house, I don't have a current number or address for him.

Gary Scheer and Greg Morris are two more independent certified instructors, both
in Arlington. Greg tends to work with Dave, using his equipment. Gary hasn't
been doing much instructing lately, but could be convinced to do so. Neither
does tandem.

So, here are some phone numbers. Also, our club meets the first Thursday of
every month at the Crystal's Pizza in Irving (on the 183 south access near
MacArthur), at 7:30. Call me (or any of the other club officers listed below)
for directions or a non-business perspective (i.e., none of the officers are
instructors, oops, I lied, Gary has been Treasurer for about 8 years now...)

The weather has been wet this year, especially at the levees, so they can
get muddy (or drownded). Thermal season is well under way, which also puts a crimp
on instruction (you need several hours and nearly a hundred flights before you are
ready for thermals).
_
/ \ Pete Hammer "You can walk on the water,
/ / pete_...@mcimail.com Drown in the sand -
/ /_ H3 FL Tow AT XC Turb RLF You can fly off a mountaintop,
\ \ K5, Trek 950, Prelude 4WS Anybody can."
\ \ Vice President, NTHGA
\_/ Dallas, TX, USA, Earth, etc. --The Band

=0CDALLAS/FT WORTH HANG GLIDING CONTACTS
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Dave Broyles, Kite Enterprises 214-390-9090
211 Ellis
Allen, TX 75002

Tim Doogs, Instructor (tandem)
Red River Aircraft (North) 817-921-6957
3108 Frazier
Ft. Worth, TX 76110

Brian Fogoros, NTHGA President 817-737-6077
6060 Anahuac Ave.
Ft. Worth, TX 76114

Pete Hammer, NTHGA Vice President 214-562-4102
1214 Hyde Park Dr
McKinney, TX 75069

Jeff Hunt, Instructor (tandem)
Region 11 Director
Red River Aircraft (South) 512-467-2529
4811 Red River
Austin, TX 78751

Greg Morris, Instructor 817-572-5066
4409 Oldfield Dr.
Arlington, TX 76016

Andy Piziali, NTHGA Editor 214-442-7483
6616 Estados Dr
Parker, TX 75002

Gary Scheer, Instructor, NTHGA Treasurer 817-277-5309
527 Lombardy
Arlington, TX 76013

Robin Hastings

Jun 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/8/95

>I am from Austin and I am interested in paragliding. Does anyone know of
>paragliding instruction in the Austin area? Any idea of costs? I was also
>wondering where people in the Austin area go to hang glide/paraglide. Any
>info appreciated!
>
>Thanks,
>johnnyha
>--
>Johnny Hardwick Austin, Texas john...@bga.com

Hi, Johnny. There are a couple of women in the Austin area (or
maybe in Georgetown?) who do paragliding instruction. The most
popular foot-launched site in central Texas is Packsaddle
Mountain, near Llano about 60 miles west of Austin. It is a
real nice, well set up site, with a very large, grassy landing
zone. Some real good flights have been made from there. On
almost any weekend, if you go out there to the landing zone
(which is right below the east end of the mountain, on the
south side, marked by a windsock) you will find both hang glider
and paraglider pilots, generally in the afternoon. Good luck!
If and when you learn to fly, and feel ready for bigger mountains,
we'll be glad to show you our sites like Dry Canyon, out here in
south New Mexico.
- Robin Hastings