Car Model Designations (LX, LE, HF, etc)

Skip to the first unread message

Gordon Edwards

18 May 1991, 8:12:14 pm18/5/91
What do all the abbreviations mean that car manufactures
append to the car name to indicate style/model? I'm referring
to the suffixes like LX, LE, SI, HF, etc...

-- Gordon

Gordon Edwards, N4VPH | "Nothing Unreal Exists"
NCR Engineering & Manufacturing |
gedw...@ncratl.atlantaga.ncr.com | Kiri-Kin-Tha's First Law of Metaphysics

chuck smith

19 May 1991, 10:03:44 am19/5/91
gedw...@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Gordon Edwards) writes:

>What do all the abbreviations mean that car manufactures
>append to the car name to indicate style/model? I'm referring
>to the suffixes like LX, LE, SI, HF, etc...

In reality, nothing. The manufacturer would like us to think they do, but
they are merely the creation of the advertising department. I mean, are
we suppose to believe LE stands for "Limited Edition" when tens of thousands
are made, year after year? HF is supposed to stand for "high fuel econony",
or something like that.

>-- Gordon
chuck smith U. of Illinois live long and prosper,
cws...@uiuc.edu at Urbana-Champaign or go insane trying.

Dan Steinmark

19 May 1991, 2:50:40 pm19/5/91
to gedw...@ncratl.atlantaga.ncr.com
In article <19...@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM> gedw...@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Gordon Edwards) writes:
> What do all the abbreviations mean that car manufactures
> append to the car name to indicate style/model? I'm referring
> to the suffixes like LX, LE, SI, HF, etc...
> -- Gordon

As someone pointed out, differnt things to different manufactures...
so these are *generalities*

L frequently for luxury
LX Luxury
Dx Deluxe
Ex ??

LE could be Limited Edition
or Luxury Edition (Toyota)

S is generally for Sport (or some such in a foriegn language)
I often for injected (Hence Si: Sport model, Fuel Injected
Question: Were all Honda's S models carburated
and Si's Injected?
Same with BMW's i designation?)

FI (always?) Fuel Injected

GT Grand Touring (of course, this really means differnt things to different
manufacturers.)

RS Rally Sport (on Camero's)
RS (Integra ???)
LS Ummm. Luxury Sport?
GS ????

As you can see, some definitely mean something, and others are tough
to decipher and may just be marketing gadgets.

-Dan

h philip chen

19 May 1991, 5:38:06 pm19/5/91
gedw...@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Gordon Edwards) writes:
>What do all the abbreviations mean that car manufactures
>append to the car name to indicate style/model? I'm referring
>to the suffixes like LX, LE, SI, HF, etc...

Hmmm... I'm not too sure but I guess you might be thinking about Hondas
and Toyotas. Let's see...

LX luxury
LE luxury equipped
Si sports, fuel-injected
HF high fuel-efficiency (50 mpg CRX)

And here's more... (not in any particular order)
DX deluxe
EX executive (top-line Honda Accord/Civic)
LXi luxury, fuel-injected (previous Accords - new ones are all injected)
SEi special edition, injected (some previous Accords, with leather, etc)
DL deluxe (also)
GT grand touring
S sports or sedan (depends on car)
E fuel-injected (Mercedes)
D diesel
SE sedan, injected (Mercedes)
SEL sedan, injected, longer-wheel-base (Mercedes)
CE coupe, injected (Mercedes)
TD turbo diesel (Mercedes)
i injection (BMW)
is injection, sports package (BMW)
e eta (fuel-economical engine, eg. BMW 528e)
es eta-engine, sports package (BMW)
M3 M-Technik prepared BMW 3-series
GTS grand touring spyder (Ferrari)
GTS grand touring sports/sedan (for others)
SC supercharged (some Ford Thunderbird)
HO high output (some Ford Mustang 5-liter engines)
SHO super high output (Ford Taurus)
GL grand luxury (not applicable for all cars)
IROC international race of champions (Camaro, and newer Dodge Daytonas)
Turbo goody stuff under the hood!
BiTurbo two of them, for twice the fun!
TwinTurbo (see above)
Quattro 4 wheel drive (Audi)
CS centennial special/series (??) (some '87 Audi)
AWD all wheel drive (eg. Eagle Talon)
4WD 4 wheel drive (eg. Honda Civic Wagon)
AWS all wheel steer (top-line Honda Prelude)
Targa removable top (not convertible), eg. 911
Cabriolet convertible, (eg 911, Golf)
MR2 mid-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2 seater, or Mister 2 (?)
LS luxury sedan (Lexus)
LS luxury sports (Integra)
GS grand sports (top-line Integra)
SE special edition (Integra, with leather & gold trims, etc)

Here are the ones that I'm still not sure... :-)
CRX (Honda)
FX (as in Toyota FX16, fighter plane?)
XJ (Jaguar)
XR4Ti (Merkur)
ZR-1 (Chevrolet Corvette, Z-rated one?)
ZX (Nissan)

My wild guesses...
NSX no [more] sex, (spouse preferred diamonds/gold-watch actually)
Z zoom? (to attract the highway-patrol, and/or make the insurance
agents smile)

For the nasty minded readers... (don't sue me :-))
HF (horny...)
NX (nasty...)
SX (heh-heh)
Si (on Wednesday nights and/or weekends)
SEL (longer)
Quattro (4 times the fun)
Turbo (guess what happens)
i (see Turbo)

Ok, ok, enough for today,
-philip
ch...@athena.ecs.csus.edu

PS. Feel free to add/correct the above list, but try not to flame me :-)

Theodore Chen

19 May 1991, 10:35:13 pm19/5/91
In article <1991May19.2...@csusac.csus.edu> ch...@gaia.ecs.csus.edu ( h philip chen ) writes:
[lots of letter designations & descriptions]

>-philip
> ch...@athena.ecs.csus.edu
>

>PS. Feel free to add/correct the above list, but try not to flame me :-)

how could you possibly forget GTI?
VW GTI - as a matter of fact, there's also GTI 16V with the 16-valve engine
amazing that anybody could leave out the car that started the
pocket rocket class....

and jetta GLI. i'll leave it up to you to speculate about what
these things mean.

dunno if you remembered GTB (as in ferrari 308) and GTO (ferrari, pontiac).
and GTU (mazda RX-7 and chevy beretta).

h philip chen

20 May 1991, 2:12:05 am20/5/91

tede...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Theodore Chen) writes:
>ch...@gaia.ecs.csus.edu ( h philip chen ) writes:
>[lots of letter designations & descriptions]

>how could you possibly forget GTI?

>VW GTI - as a matter of fact, there's also GTI 16V with the 16-valve engine
>amazing that anybody could leave out the car that started the
>pocket rocket class....

Yep, you're right! GTI = grand touring, injected? But it's a sports
(or sporty) car. A car that can corner on 3 wheels (and still do ok)
shouldn't be called grand touring, right?
so,... GTI = great traction, innovative (?)

>dunno if you remembered GTB (as in ferrari 308) and GTO (ferrari, pontiac).
>and GTU (mazda RX-7 and chevy beretta).

308 GTB? Oh, of course -- I see one 3 times a week, parked in the same spot
-- next to the PSD (public safety dept), better known as the campus
police station -- student must think his horses are safer there. Anyway,
that's the only one that I've noticed on campus (this is not USC!).
(couple of other nice ones though...)

Anyway, lemme see...
GTO GT, over 3.0 liter engine
GTU GT, under 3.0 liter engine

BTW, what's B in GTB... berlinette?

Wait, I think it's Beretta GTZ now. (Used to be GTU though.)
For the RX-7, there's more on my not-sure list: GSL, GXL, etc.

Anyway, there's lots more out there. So, I hope the readers can post
what they see/know/guess/think :-)

Here, guess what cars...
944S 2 series 2
928S 4 series 4 (?), with 4 valves/cyclinder, etc
S3 series 3 (no, *not* the famous spreadsheet program)

Aaah! Here's something that not too many people may know:
Alfa Romeo Milano - Silver
- Gold
- Platinum
(no, it's _not_ the color!) Does Alfa still name them this way?

Also on my dunno list:
ES (Dodge)
GLE (Volvo) (is E for enhanced/extra/economical or ?)
GV (Yugo)
MX (Mazda) (M must be for Mazda, what's X?)
TR (Triumph) (T must be for Triumph, what's R? racer?)
SL (Mercedes) (sporty, lightweight? nah!)
STI, STX (Peugeot)
STS (Cadillac)
VR4 (Mitsubishi) (V-rated, 4 v/cyc, 4wd?)
W3 (Vector) (must be "Wait 3" years to get one.)
XT (Subaru)

-philip
ch...@athena.ecs.csus.edu

PS. Quick, someone tell me what's GLL (tell me the car too.)
PPS. Did you all noticed that most cars that have ???-badge are imports?
(Well, except Ford USA, etc.) Are you car manufacturers
listening? Quick, name 'em wild, and you'll get more curious
customers walking in -- at least you'll stand a better chance!

Mike Zayas

20 May 1991, 8:40:59 am20/5/91
In article <19...@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM>, gedw...@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Gordon Edwards) writes:
|> What do all the abbreviations mean that car manufactures
|> append to the car name to indicate style/model? I'm referring
|> to the suffixes like LX, LE, SI, HF, etc...

Suffixes like that are just different trim levels for a particular model.
The LX, for example, of one model should not be compared to the LX of
another; it may be the top-o-the-line for one and the entry level for
another. You can probably figure out what the abbreviations come from
(although in many cases they have lost their meaning): LX-Luxury, SE-
Special or Sport Edition, LE-Luxury Edition, LS-Luxury Sedan or Sport, SS-
Super Sport, STE-Sport Touring Edition, RS-Rally Sport, GS-Gran Sport,
etc... Get the idea" "L" usually means Luxury, while "S" usually means
Sport. The whole "GT" family (GT, GTO, GTI, GTU, ...) stand
for something in particular like Gran Touring (somebody help here). There
are some that actually stand for something specific about the car: 4WD, AWD-
4 or All Wheel Drive, ABS-antilock brake system, 4WS-4 wheel steering, FI-
fuel injected, anything ending in a lowercase i implies fuel injected
(Honda Accord LXi, BMW 320i, Merkur XR4Ti, etc...). European cars are big
on encoding names with numbers and letters that distinguish one model from
another: (Volvo 245: 200 series body style, 4 cyllinder, 5 door wagon,
BMW 535td: 500 series body style, I dunno what the 35 stands for exactly,
turbo diesel, Mercedes-Benz 300C: 300 series body style, coupe).

Mike Zayas
Data General Corp. "only in a Jeep"
Internet: za...@dg-rtp.dg.com
Phone: (919) 248-6364, FAX: (919) 248-5942

Richard Goss

20 May 1991, 12:48:39 pm20/5/91
In article <1991May19.2...@csusac.csus.edu> ch...@gaia.ecs.csus.edu ( h philip chen ) writes:
>gedw...@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Gordon Edwards) writes:
>>What do all the abbreviations mean that car manufactures
>>append to the car name to indicate style/model? I'm referring
>>to the suffixes like LX, LE, SI, HF, etc...
>>

>Hmmm... I'm not too sure but I guess you might be thinking about Hondas
>and Toyotas. Let's see...
>
>LX luxury
>LE luxury equipped
>Si sports, fuel-injected
>HF high fuel-efficiency (50 mpg CRX)
>
>And here's more... (not in any particular order)
>S sports or sedan (depends on car)
>E fuel-injected (Mercedes)
>D diesel
>SE sedan, injected (Mercedes)
>SEL sedan, injected, longer-wheel-base (Mercedes)
>CE coupe, injected (Mercedes)
>TD turbo diesel (Mercedes)

The "T" means station wagon, not turbo diesel. For example, Mercedes
makes 300TE wagons which have gasoline engines. The 300E is the gasoline
powered sedan version. The 300TD is the diesel powered station wagon
and the 300D is the diesel powered sedan. These are turbo diesels, but
that is denoted by the word "Turbo" on the right side of the rear of the
car. The 300TD or 300D labels are on the left side of the rear.

William R Letourneau

20 May 1991, 2:28:33 pm20/5/91
>Suffixes like that are just different trim levels for a particular model.

>BMW 535td: 500 series body style, I dunno what the 35 stands for exactly,

In BMW the last two numbers are engine size in liters.

i.e. 35 = 3.5 liter
20 = 2.0 liter (320)
18 = 1.8 liter (318)

so on.

Total Carnage!!!! I love it.

richard welty

20 May 1991, 4:35:10 pm20/5/91
In article <1991May20.1...@unhd.unh.edu> wrl...@unhd.unh.edu (William R Letourneau) writes:
* In BMW the last two numbers are engine size in liters.

* i.e. 35 = 3.5 liter
* 20 = 2.0 liter (320)
* 18 = 1.8 liter (318)

of course, BMW put the 1.8 motor in the later 320 cars,
but we probably shouldn't get into that here.

richard
--
richard welty we...@sol.crd.ge.com
518-393-7228, Infologic, 1400 Balltown Road, Niskayuna, New York

Mike Zayas

20 May 1991, 4:09:56 pm20/5/91
Thanks to Mike Amster and Steve Bender for clarifying that the last two
digits in the BMW model numbers refer to the engine displacement in litres.
For example, the 525 is a 2.5 l, while the 750 is, you guessed it, a 5 l.

Nobody has responded to the question of what all the GT names mean (GT, GTI,
GTO, GTU).

Brad Davis

20 May 1991, 5:25:16 pm20/5/91
ch...@athena.ecs.csus.edu ( h philip chen ) writes:
>For the RX-7, there's more on my not-sure list: GSL, GXL, etc.

I think GXL means "Gadgets; eXtreme Luxury". :-)

>Also on my dunno list:

> MX (Mazda) (M must be for Mazda, what's X?)

In practice, M means a reciprocating engine as opposed to R for rotary.
The X means... nothing. Marketing told them it had a nice sound to it.

Roadkill from the tires of: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> \ / >>>>>>>>>>>>>
Brad Davis, GSS Inc, Beaverton OR <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< --=###%= <<<<<<<<<<<<
bradd@gssc (503) 671-8431 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> / \ >>>>>>>>>>>>>
Disclaimer: I claimed something?!?! My car hates cats

JOSEPH T CHEW

20 May 1991, 9:00:22 pm20/5/91
>The X means... nothing. Marketing told them it had a nice sound to it.

I believe we have finally struck to the heart of the matter. Put on
airs by attaching an appealing adjective to even the stripper model.

Some car companies, mostly European, do indeed encode real information
in their model designators. But many, if not most, simply imitate the
style of those who do so.

Sourly,
--Joe
"Just another personal opinion from the People's Republic of Berkeley"

tim...@public.btr.com

21 May 1991, 12:23:11 am21/5/91
stei...@yoko.rutgers.edu (Dan Steinmark) writes:

|As someone pointed out, differnt things to different manufactures...
|so these are *generalities*
|
|LX Luxury
|Dx Deluxe
|Ex ??

EX = EXpensive
SE = Super Expensive

For "Japanese" cars, "Deluxe" typically means cloth seats and nice
things, but no power windows, power seats, or glitz. "Luxury"
usually adds the power things. Note that it is difficult or
impossible to "build up" a "Japanese" "Luxury" car by starting with
a "Deluxe" car and adding options. That is easier to do with
most "American" cars, with their multitudes of options.

richard welty

21 May 1991, 11:45:37 am21/5/91
In article <1991May20.2...@dg-rtp.dg.com> za...@woodstock.rtp.dg.com (Mike Zayas) writes:
*Nobody has responded to the question of what all the GT names mean (GT, GTI,
*GTO, GTU).

why, they mean whatever you want them to mean.

actually, i'm not sure what GTI stands for.

GT stands for Gran Turisimo, or Grand Touring, and in older times refered
to a larger, heavier but still fast road car, as opposed to the smaller,
lighter, and often not-as-fast sports car (some disagree with this
definition, as they think that Firebirds and Camaros are sports cars, while
this definition effectively makes them GT cars. i really don't want to
restart that particular argument.)

GTO stands for two things; in european road racing, to race cars in
certain classes, you have to make a certain number of them for public
sale, which is called `homogulation'. the italian word for this starts
with an `O', and so we have Grand Touring, homogulated meaning that a
car qualifies a particular racing class.

in IMSA racing, GTO stands for GT racing, displacement _Over_ some
threshold which i don't remember off hand. GT racing in IMSA is for
tube-framed or production-based race cars which resemble street cars
(except for GTP, which is prototype cars like the Jaguar XJR-16,
roughly comparable to FIA Group C racing.)

GTU is an IMSA class which stands for GT racing, displacement _Under_
the same threshold.

cheers,

Shantanu Ganguly

21 May 1991, 12:10:30 pm21/5/91
>Thanks to Mike Amster and Steve Bender for clarifying that the last two
>digits in the BMW model numbers refer to the engine displacement in litres.
>For example, the 525 is a 2.5 l, while the 750 is, you guessed it, a 5 l.

Not always. At one time BMW had two versions of the 545. One version indeed
had a 4.5 l gas engine (my book says it was sold in South Africa). The other
version had a turbo charged engine of smaller displacement - the rationale
was that the bhp was the same as that of the 4.5 l engine.

Shantanu Ganguly
Syracuse University

g...@sequent.com

21 May 1991, 3:17:34 pm21/5/91
In article <1991May20.2...@dg-rtp.dg.com> za...@woodstock.rtp.dg.com (Mike Zayas) writes:

>Nobody has responded to the question of what all the GT names mean (GT, GTI,
>GTO, GTU).

GTO - "Gran Turisimo Omligato" Originally referred to a car designed to compete
in the GT class races in Europe. An interesting article in R & T circa
1964 referred to American Pig Iron stealing names from the thoroughbreds
from Europe. The article was prompted by a new "musclecar" from
Pontiac stealing the "GTO" designation of the fantastic Ferrari of the
same name. This designation also has the distinction of being the most
mis-interpreted of the lot (witness the responses in this thread ;^)
I won a prize from a radio station in 1967 for this trivia answer.

GT - "Gran Turisimo" or, in English "Grand Touring". Class of Sedan racing in
Europe.

GTI - GT Fuel Injected

GTA - Grand Touring "A" Class - Sedan Races, where Alfa coupes were very
successful circa 1968

GTV - Grand Touring Veloce (fast in Italian) Hotter version of the GTA

GTB - Same as GTA different class
--
Gil Meacham ____ ____ _ __ __
g...@sequent.com / / /___/ / / /

Theodore Chen

22 May 1991, 12:39:27 am22/5/91
In article <19...@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> we...@nunki.crd.ge.com (richard welty) writes:
>In article <1991May20.1...@unhd.unh.edu> wrl...@unhd.unh.edu (William R Letourneau) writes:
>* In BMW the last two numbers are engine size in liters.
>
>* i.e. 35 = 3.5 liter
>* 20 = 2.0 liter (320)
>* 18 = 1.8 liter (318)
>
>of course, BMW put the 1.8 motor in the later 320 cars,
>but we probably shouldn't get into that here.
>
>richard

actually, that isn't quite right. maybe now they're doing it
(i.e. 525i has 2.5L engine, 750iL has 5L engine), but a few years
ago the 535i had a 3.4L six and the eta engine was a 2.7 liter
inline six. wait, there's more. the eta engine was put in
the 325e and 325es (and the 325 during that period). at the same
time, the eta engine was also available in the 5-series, and this
one was the 528e. go figure.

-teddy

James Montebello

21 May 1991, 7:32:58 pm21/5/91
> What do all the abbreviations mean that car manufactures
> append to the car name to indicate style/model? I'm referring
> to the suffixes like LX, LE, SI, HF, etc...

Well, it depends on the manufacturer. There doesn't seem to be any
standards. "LX" and "LE" usually refer to "Luxury" or "top-of-the-line"
model. In Honda-speak, LX is top, DX is next, nothing is the bottom for
most models. "Si" is the designation for the top CRX/Civic/Prelude. "HF"
is the high fuel economy version of the Civic/CRX (smaller engine in
milder tune, smaller, higher pressure wheels, no frills). "LX" and "DX"
seem to be used by many Japanese manufacturers. Beyond that...
--

James Montebello (uunet!racerx!james) "my employer has no opinions."
WERA, SCCA, DIOC, FSSNOC, MCRA, DoD and Team Cheap (geez, enough clubs?)

richard welty

22 May 1991, 12:10:30 am22/5/91
In article <1991May21.1...@sequent.com> g...@sequent.com writes:
*In article <1991May20.2...@dg-rtp.dg.com> za...@woodstock.rtp.dg.com (Mike Zayas) writes:
*>Nobody has responded to the question of what all the GT names mean (GT, GTI,
*>GTO, GTU).
*GTA - Grand Touring "A" Class - Sedan Races, where Alfa coupes were very

*
*GTV - Grand Touring Veloce (fast in Italian) Hotter version of the GTA

i think that in the context of Alfas, you've got this backwards.
the GTV was the bread-and-butter 2+2 coupe for alfa from 1967 through
1974; the GTA is the rare and valuble racing model of the coupe.

alfa built 'veloce' versions of cars from the early 60s; the GTV
was originally the 'veloce' version of the Giulia Sprint GT from
the mid-60s.

cheers,
richard (owner of a 1968 Alfa GTV-1750)

James Montebello

22 May 1991, 2:08:18 am22/5/91
In article <1991May21.1...@sequent.com>, g...@sequent.com writes:
> GTB - Same as GTA different class

Bzzt! But you're close! GTB, as used by Ferrari, stands for Gran Turismo
Berlinetta (closed coupe). The alternative is GTS for Spyder (open car).
I.E. 365GTB for the Daytona coupe and 365GTS for the Daytona Spyder.

Christer Olsson

23 May 1991, 3:43:09 am23/5/91
In article <1991May19.2...@csusac.csus.edu> ch...@gaia.ecs.csus.edu ( h philip chen ) writes:

Don't forget:

>gedw...@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Gordon Edwards) writes:
>Turbo goody stuff under the hood!

Intercooler stronger turbo with aircooler (Volvo) :-)

--
Christer Olsson I MedNet I Phone: day: +46+31-853760
Kaggeledsgatan 11 I Medicinaregatan 7b I night: +46+31-843740

R. Luursema

23 May 1991, 11:38:46 am23/5/91
In article <1991May23....@eng.umd.edu> h...@eng.umd.edu (Dagwood splits the Atom) writes:
>In article <1991May19.2...@csusac.csus.edu> ch...@gaia.ecs.csus.edu ( h philip chen ) writes:
>>TD turbo diesel (Mercedes)
>Actually, the "T" indicates an estate body type; that is, a station wagon.
>The D does indicate diesel, although M-B has no designation for turbodiesel
>beyond slapping a "turbo" badge on the trunklid. Also add "SL" for
>superlight or whatever the German equivalent is (super-leicht?).

Then why is the 500SL (roadster) havier than the 500SE (sedan)?
The SL is shorter, has only 2 doors and no hard roof.

>>Cabriolet convertible, (eg 911, Golf)

>If I'm not mistaken, some portion of the roof structure remains standing
>at all times in a Cabriolet, and Porsche's designation is a misnomer. For
>comparison, look at the Jaguar XJ-S, offered first a coupe, then as a
>cabriolet, then as a true convertible. Maybe I'm confusing convertible
>with roadster...

cabriolet==convertable.

Other namings of open cars:
spider (alfa-romeo roadster)
roadster (no roof at all? Is the old willys-jeep a roadster?)
T-top
targa (porsche)
cabrio-top (just a large sun roof)
more?

>>XR4Ti (Merkur)
>Ti is, of course, Turbo, Injected. XR4 fits in the Mercury/Ford of Europe
>sports scheme, XR2, XR3, XR4, XR7, and so on.
Fiesta XR2i, Escort XR3i, Sierra XR4i cossworth. never heard of XR7.

The letter X is many times used to denote the eXperimental/innovative nature.
Remember experimental fighter planes always used the X.
So manufacturers must think that naming their fastest car in the line with an
X gives it the edge.

Rob.

J Gillespie

23 May 1991, 9:38:19 am23/5/91
h...@eng.umd.edu (Dagwood splits the Atom) writes:

]In article <1991May19.2...@csusac.csus.edu> ch...@gaia.ecs.csus.edu ( h philip chen ) writes:

]]Here are the ones that I'm still not sure... :-)
]]CRX (Honda)

]I think they just liked the letters. Sold as the Ballade elsewhere.

In Britain at least the Ballade is a Civic with a boot, the CRX is the
sporty Civic.

]]XR4Ti (Merkur)

]Ti is, of course, Turbo, Injected. XR4 fits in the Mercury/Ford of Europe
]sports scheme, XR2, XR3, XR4, XR7, and so on.

XR7? Not around here. The XR4x4 is the last of the XR range as far
as I know. After that they started on RS Cosworths :-)

]-dave
--
James Gillespie, /~~~~~~~~\ "This is a vastly unfair universe. The
Edinburgh University / @ @ \ best you can expect is a good deal of

David Masters

22 May 1991, 9:10:10 pm22/5/91
we...@nunki.crd.ge.com (richard welty) writes:

>In article <1991May20.2...@dg-rtp.dg.com> za...@woodstock.rtp.dg.com (Mike Zayas) writes:
>*Nobody has responded to the question of what all the GT names mean (GT, GTI,
>*GTO, GTU).

>actually, i'm not sure what GTI stands for.

try GT Injected, as that was what VW used it for on the Golf (rabbit).

--
David Masters, BHP Information Technology, Newcastle, AUSTRALIA.
Internet: da...@bhpese.oz.au Phone: +61 49 402132
David Masters, BHP Information Technology, Newcastle, AUSTRALIA.
Internet: da...@bhpese.oz.au Phone: +61 49 402132

Dagwood splits the Atom

23 May 1991, 12:10:30 am23/5/91
In article <1991May19.2...@csusac.csus.edu> ch...@gaia.ecs.csus.edu ( h philip chen ) writes:
>gedw...@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Gordon Edwards) writes:
>>What do all the abbreviations mean that car manufactures
>>append to the car name to indicate style/model?

This almost belongs in a FAQ list since it recurs every year or so.

>E fuel-injected (Mercedes)

"einspritzen"; the Haynes Bosch injection manual has a nice guide
to identifying Bosch-injection equipped cars.

>TD turbo diesel (Mercedes)

Actually, the "T" indicates an estate body type; that is, a station wagon.
The D does indicate diesel, although M-B has no designation for turbodiesel
beyond slapping a "turbo" badge on the trunklid. Also add "SL" for
superlight or whatever the German equivalent is (super-leicht?).

>GTS grand touring spyder (Ferrari)

and GTB, presumably for Berlinetta. And GTO for Gran Turismo Omologato.
And BB for Boxer Berlinetta. And MM for Mille Miglia. Etc.

>Cabriolet convertible, (eg 911, Golf)

If I'm not mistaken, some portion of the roof structure remains standing

at all times in a Cabriolet, and Porsche's designation is a misnomer. For
comparison, look at the Jaguar XJ-S, offered first a coupe, then as a
cabriolet, then as a true convertible. Maybe I'm confusing convertible
with roadster...

>Here are the ones that I'm still not sure... :-)
>CRX (Honda)

I think they just liked the letters. Sold as the Ballade elsewhere.

>XR4Ti (Merkur)

Ti is, of course, Turbo, Injected. XR4 fits in the Mercury/Ford of Europe
sports scheme, XR2, XR3, XR4, XR7, and so on.

>ZR-1 (Chevrolet Corvette, Z-rated one?)

Chevy option code. No meaning.

-dave

--
David Hsu h...@eng.umd.edu "I don't want to achieve immortality
U of Md Systems Research Ctr through my work. I want to achieve

The Mars

24 May 1991, 9:36:14 am24/5/91
>>Cabriolet convertible, (eg 911, Golf)
>
>If I'm not mistaken, some portion of the roof structure remains standing
>at all times in a Cabriolet, and Porsche's designation is a misnomer. For
>comparison, look at the Jaguar XJ-S, offered first a coupe, then as a
>cabriolet, then as a true convertible. Maybe I'm confusing convertible
>with roadster...

I believe you might be mistaken since my father has a 911 Cabriolet and
there is nothing left standing but the windshield and the chicks when
you put the top down! 8->

The VW Rabbit Cabriolets had a targa bar between the front and rear
seats and maybe that is what you are thinking of.

Bill

MARS, WILLIAM SCOTT (a.k.a. The Mars)
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia, 30332
uucp: ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt4911b
Internet: gt4...@prism.gatech.edu

Scott Jeffrey

24 May 1991, 10:39:58 am24/5/91

I'm considering getting a new car and can't decide which one to
get. I thought I'd make an appeal for net-knowledge:

Car #1: Integra XE RX-7 GTO 325i 510 LXi TurboCoupe

or

Car #2: Benz HF XR4Ti LE GTS Intercooled SC 350i TargaTop XE LTD

Does anyone have any opinions on these? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
scooter

--
=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=
# sco...@hirgon.hw.stratus.com Flat Flip Flies Straight #

Thomas Cohen

26 May 1991, 10:08:27 pm26/5/91

>>>Cabriolet convertible, (eg 911, Golf)
>>
>>If I'm not mistaken, some portion of the roof structure remains standing
>>at all times in a Cabriolet, and Porsche's designation is a misnomer. For

>I believe you might be mistaken since my father has a 911 Cabriolet and

Actually, the first poster has it right. A cabriolet is an old body style,
used extensively in the earlier part of the century (roughly 1905-1935)
characterised by the was the back half of the body had a folding roof, and
the roof above the driver was often not there at all (dammit man, the
chauffeur was a _servant_). This mutated reasonably into the version where
the roof above the driving position could be removed and the rear cover
still folded down - giving a car that still had some of its superstructure
standing, but with copious amount of sun and wind (and rain and hail...)
able to gain entry.
A roadster, now known as a convertible, is one where all the body work above
the doors is foldable.

--
thos cohen |Softway Pty Ltd
"Anyone who never makes a mistake never learns |ACSnet: th...@softway.oz

Ram Gopalkrishnan

20 May 1991, 1:24:28 pm20/5/91
How about the Hyundai Excel GLS - Grand Luxury Sport ?? :-)

-ram

Sean Reifschneider

28 May 1991, 1:07:39 am28/5/91
In article <1991May19.2...@csusac.csus.edu> ch...@gaia.ecs.csus.edu ( h philip chen ) writes:
>gedw...@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Gordon Edwards) writes:
>>What do all the abbreviations mean that car manufactures
>>append to the car name to indicate style/model? I'm referring
>>to the suffixes like LX, LE, SI, HF, etc...
>
>Hmmm... I'm not too sure but I guess you might be thinking about Hondas
>and Toyotas. Let's see...
>
>PS. Feel free to add/correct the above list, but try not to flame me :-)

I've thought that the RX-7 was ment to be Rotary eXperiment 7 (there was also an
RX-3, and probably more).

The model designations for the older ones (79-85) were:
G Unknown.
GS Unknown.
GSL A GS with Limited Slip differential.
GSL-SE Special Edition GSL. Different engine.

Some of the new ones:
GXL Again, unknown.
SE Probably Special Edition, but I'm not sure.
Turbo Turbo
Turbo II Twin Turbo

Sean
--
From the desk of Sean Reifschneider. Isn't Amiga UUCP great? Thanks Matt.

uunet.uu.net!ccncsu.colostate.edu!ncuug!miranda!jafo

h philip chen

28 May 1991, 4:23:10 am28/5/91
ja...@miranda.UUCP (Sean Reifschneider) writes:
[about Mazda RX-7]

>Some of the new ones:
>Turbo II Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo? Hmmm... I thought the Turbo II has one turbo, but it's
a two-stage unit. Stage I is for normal drive, and if we floor the
pedal (or drive very hard), the second stage will kick in -- higher
boost and even more power.

-philip ch...@athena.ecs.csus.edu

Ken Buck

29 May 1991, 7:17:51 am29/5/91
In article <1991May28.0...@csusac.csus.edu> ch...@athena.ecs.csus.edu

( h philip chen ) writes:
>ja...@miranda.UUCP (Sean Reifschneider) writes: [about Mazda RX-7]
>>Turbo II Twin Turbo
>
>Twin Turbo? Hmmm... I thought the Turbo II has one turbo, but it's
>a two-stage unit.

correct. Mazda called it the 'Turbo II' because it was the *second*
turbocharged RX7 offering that they've marketed (the first never made it
to the U.S.).

Doug Fierro

30 May 1991, 1:46:17 pm30/5/91

Does any one have specifics on the Turbo II, like if a convertible
model was made (or is available), what year Mazda introduced the Turbo II,
hp ratings for each model, etc.

Thanks,

Doug
--

|\ Doug Fierro
O __________|_\______ UTS System Software

Mike Chow

30 May 1991, 9:20:22 pm30/5/91
In article <bclk011...@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> fie...@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Doug Fierro) writes:

> Does any one have specifics on the Turbo II, like if a convertible
>model was made (or is available), what year Mazda introduced the Turbo II,
>hp ratings for each model, etc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug
>--

Mazda does make a Turbo Convertible RX-7; unfortunately, its only available in
Japan :-(. I *think* the Turbo II put out about 180HP, and in mind-'89, they
modified it to put out 200HP (at least the '90 & '91 Turbos are rated at 200HP).

If only they made a Turbo Convertible with ABS (already has the airbag)....
The Convertible first came out in '88, rated at 140(?)HP, and in mid '89
it was upped to 160HP. The normally aspirated ragtop could use more HP (IMHO).

Mike Chow
mgc...@apple.com

Jeff Nappi

3 June 1991, 12:28:50 pm3/6/91
In article <bclk011...@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, fie...@uts.amdahl.com (Doug Fierro) writes:
|> In article <1991May29....@granite.ma30.bull.com> K.B...@bull.com writes:

|> >correct. Mazda called it the 'Turbo II' because it was the *second*
|> >turbocharged RX7 offering that they've marketed (the first never made it
|> >to the U.S.).
Actually I believe the Turbo II designation come from the fact that Mazda
uses a twin scroll activation system on there turbo. There are two stages
to boost, at low end booste the air flow is forced through a narrower
opening in the turbo inlet, at higher boost the second stage kicks in
which widens the opening to allow more exhaust to enter over the impellers.

|> Does any one have specifics on the Turbo II, like if a convertible
|> model was made (or is available), what year Mazda introduced the Turbo II,
|> hp ratings for each model, etc.

Ok I will give it a shot, perhaps someone could add to whatever I leave out.

Turbo charged convertibles are only available in Japan, there is also a
RX7 Turbo Infini available in Japan which is essentialy a striped down
version of the American RX7 Turbo, 2600lbs 220hp, no rear toeing.

1987-88
182hp
2800-3000 lbs
0-60 6.8-7.3 seconds
manual wastegate
205/55 GoodYear tires
ABS Brakes (option)

1989-91
200hp
2800-3000lbs
0-60 5.9-6.3 seconds
electronic controled wastegate
improved transmission (shorter throws, geared better for turbo charging)
more fender well clearence for larger tires
205/55 GoodYear tires
ABS Standard
more trim options avaiable

1992-?
One ass kicker of a car from early reports.
Twin-Turbos
280hp
2600lbs or less
lower, wider and more rubber
suppose to have a very aggresive looking stance
Mazda has been very quiet about this car, they will display it in October
at the Toykeo Auto show and will go on sell in the fall.

--
Jeff Nappi
Columbus Bell Labs