Update IT IS THE BELT

keith.weibe

Sep 24, 2003, 10:12:20 PM9/24/03
Just got the distributor and rotor off and the belt is just laying
there. maybe the tensioner broke? But my money is on the belt. I do hope
the engine quit in a good spot so as nothing has gotten bent.. will get
into 'er more when I have some daylight. and can get the radiator out of
the way.

Randy W

Sep 26, 2003, 12:50:40 AM9/26/03

I've been active on several E30 message forums for over 5 years and
out of the dozens and dozens of people who have broken their timing
belts, not one of em escaped without bending at least a few valves
at minimum. Sometimes it results in a cracked head too. The previous
owner of my current E30 had the belt break while pulling into his
driveway and the head had to be rebuilt. He let it go 2,000 miles
past it's scheduled replacement and paid the price.

Exactly how many miles and/or years were on your timing belt when
it broke ?

Randy
89 325is

ed

Nov 1, 2003, 9:34:01 AM11/1/03
Update:
yes. 7 Valves were bent. Some of the rockers also. I am replacing them all.

I have gaskets and am almost ready to go. I attempted to get a used cam and
they kept arriving broken via uPS. I finally got a good one of those and I
should be going back together monday night or into tuesday night.

I was in an accident in my 95 Chevy (ehich this group helped me fix fuel
leaks on earlier in the year) and it is reportedly totalled but I think I
can fix it up myself and keep her. So I am busy but now getting back to the
Beemer! I'll give a report soon on its status.

ed

Nov 1, 2003, 9:36:12 AM11/1/03
oh, to answer the miles question..... I am not sure.
The vehicle had 140,000 on it when we got it and I think the belt was changed
once. It was a usedd vehicle and quite frankly I didnt even know it had a
timing belt uuntil I had to find out what was wrong. I thought she had a
chain . I also did not know it was an interference engine. It never dawned
on me. One thing I know...its costly when the thing breaks....

mrc

Nov 3, 2003, 5:35:33 PM11/3/03
So you had a belt and not a chain. Anyone know how reliable the chains
are,- I mean, do they break too and what are the chances ? Just curious,
sorry if I'm changing the subject slightly.

mrc

"ed" <ed.w...@verizon.net> wrote in message

ed

Nov 7, 2003, 7:07:47 PM11/7/03
I would think since the chains LIVE in oil they would last longer
I have a nother car with chains and it has 3 times more miles without a problem