timing belt on 89 BMW 325i

keith.weibe

Sep 24, 2003, 9:08:48 PM9/24/03
Car stopped running today out of the blue.
Only getting spark at one plug wire when cranking engine.
I suspect timing belt is no longer turning cam.
I am pretty good with motors but this would be my first BMW timing belt
if that is what it is. Anyone done this on this model? Should I run it
to a shop or is it worth the trouble? I'm not a novice at cars.

Rob Munach

Sep 25, 2003, 6:11:26 AM9/25/03
If your not a novice at cars, why not take off the oil filler cap and
see if the cam is actually turning. If not, you now have a bunch of bent
valves. If it is turning, maybe check the cap and rotor.

-Rob

ed

Sep 25, 2003, 2:16:39 PM9/25/03
Took the dist cap off judt to see if rotor was turning or damaged. Went
another layer in and lookat the timing belt inside there and it is loose as a
goose and presumed broke.

JimV

Sep 25, 2003, 5:31:33 PM9/25/03
As a previous poster metioned, this is an interference engine so a
broken timing belt means bent valves and a very costy fix. Sorry.

Koji San

Sep 27, 2003, 8:20:17 AM9/27/03
You could say "A broken timing belt [might] means bent valves." I've had a
broken belt on an interference engine and it's fine. It's a matter of luck
many won't get as the odds are against you.

keith.weibe

Sep 28, 2003, 10:19:50 AM9/28/03
Update Sunday.
I have parts to pick up today. Belt and tensioner.
I am preparing for pulling the head, but will go for replacing these two parts
and go from there.

The vehicle is in the back yard..weather not too bad.

keith.weibe

Sep 28, 2003, 10:51:25 PM9/28/03
We have a running engine.
Boy does it run bad though. At half throttle she'll run. I would suspect at
180 degrees off, that it wont runn at all, so I think course timing is
right. Any suggestions? am I a tooth off?

Oh NO backfires...so I guess I'm ok there.

Mike Romain

Sep 30, 2003, 11:54:03 AM9/30/03
Some engines will run with the distributor 180 off, not well, but they
will chug along under no load.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

keith.weibe

Sep 30, 2003, 8:58:32 PM9/30/03
took the valve cover off the m20 to reveal broken rocker arms on cylinders
5 intake and cylinder 6 exhaust. .....more updates to come....

hdd

Sep 30, 2003, 9:20:09 PM9/30/03
Sounds like it's time to yank the head off and get it rebuilt. This is the
major flaw with the M20 motor.
Good Luck
Howard
"keith.weibe" <keith...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Steve Burley

Oct 1, 2003, 3:12:50 AM10/1/03
You will probably find the valves are all bent too.

Steve

"keith.weibe" <keith...@verizon.net> wrote in message

keith

Nov 1, 2003, 9:31:59 AM11/1/03
Update:
yes. 7 Valves were bent. Some of the rockers also. I am replacing them all.
I have gaskets and am almost ready to go. I attempted to get a used cam and they
kept arriving broken via uPS. I finally got a good one of those and I should be
going back together monday night or into tuesday night.

I was in an accident in my 95 Chevy (ehich this group helped me fix fuel leaks
on earlier in the year) and it is reportedly totalled but I think I can fix it
up myself and keep her. So I am busy but now getting back to the Beemer! I'll
give a report soon on its status.

keith

Ambrose

Nov 1, 2003, 6:20:48 PM11/1/03