Replacing the battery in Toyota remote control

Dr Who

Nov 16, 2003, 2:56:34 AM11/16/03
For the sake of others who are incensed at paying a lot of money to
replace a Toyota remote control just because the battery has gone flat,
I'd like to share my experience here in the public domain. I could not
find anything on the Web or on Usenet about this, so here's the
information that I wanted. I hope that it helps someone.

Relevant to Toyota Camry Conquest 1998, but probably lots of others as
well.
Remote control keyring is an ovoid black plastic case with one button.
Replacement price (in A$) around $100.

The two halves of the case are heat-fused together, so you'll need a
hacksaw to cut all around the seam. Be careful! Take it slowly or you
could ruin the remote control.

The battery inside is a lithium 3 V battery, model CR2032. Several
manufacturers make this same model. Diameter 20 mm.

The battery is soldered on by means of two metal legs that are welded
onto the battery. If you can get the exact same type with the legs in
the right place, it will help. However, camera shops sell the CR2032
with no legs for about $3 or $4. (Much cheaper than a new remote
control, isn't it?)

Fashion a couple of legs from some thin metal or wire and solder them
onto the new battery. Solder them into the circuit board. Note: The +
side of the battery goes up. Test the remote control before you glue the
case together again.

You won't need to reprogram the unit.

Matthew Stevens
Australia
e-mail address withheld for obvious reasons

MDT Tech®

Nov 16, 2003, 12:01:24 PM11/16/03
Dr Who wrote:

Wow, you guys must use a different system. We sell the same batteries
over our parts counter, the remote snaps apart, battery just pops in, no
soldering. I'm sure your info will be of geat help to those with that
system. Thanks Matthew.

--

SENATOR ZELL MILLER DEMOCRAT OF GEORGIA, the nation's most prominent
conservative Democrat, said today he will endorse President Bush for

The next five years "will determine the kind of world my children and
grandchildren will live in," Miller said in an interview. And he
wouldn't "trust" any of the nine Democratic presidential candidates with
governing during "that crucial period," he said. "This Democrat will
vote for President Bush in 2004."

Dakelton

Nov 16, 2003, 2:46:28 PM11/16/03
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 18:56:34 +1100, ab...@pacific.net.au (Dr Who)
wrote:

I don't know what type of toyota remote your using but the one for my
2002 Solara just snaps apart and the battery can be found at all
walmarts, most drug stores and most anywhere that sales them without
any trouble. I've driven Toyota's for years amnd all the other remotes
were the same.

Wolfgang

Nov 16, 2003, 6:06:25 PM11/16/03
Must be a unique Aussi item -- like the Kangaroo and the Kaola Bear. Sure
did make it difficult for them!

spook

Nov 16, 2003, 6:11:58 PM11/16/03
Mates 96 Corolla has this problem.
Remote is "glued" shut.
JB :(
"Dakelton" <spam...@spamtrap.org> wrote in message

Gml...@scvnet.com

Nov 16, 2003, 9:36:31 PM11/16/03

"MDT Tech®" <ssau...@repairman.com> wrote in message

Maybe their dealers glue the remotes together to make a little income down
the road? :)

Tegger®

Nov 17, 2003, 8:33:17 PM11/17/03
MDT Tech® <ssau...@repairman.com> quoth thusly in

> Wow, you guys must use a different system. We sell the same batteries
> over our parts counter, the remote snaps apart, battery just pops in, no
> soldering. I'm sure your info will be of geat help to those with that
> system. Thanks Matthew.

Those same batteries are sold by the millions in any store that sells
computers. The CR2032 is a standard motherboard CMOS backup battery.

They cost from 99 cents to a couple of bucks.

--
TeGGeR®

mrmtm

Nov 24, 2003, 4:24:06 AM11/24/03
MDT Tech® <ssau...@repairman.com> wrote in message news:<E3Otb.3448$n56...@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> Dr Who wrote:
>
> > For the sake of others who are incensed at paying a lot of money to
> > replace a Toyota remote control just because the battery has gone flat,
> > I'd like to share my experience here in the public domain. I could not
> > find anything on the Web or on Usenet about this, so here's the
> > information that I wanted. I hope that it helps someone.
> >
> > Relevant to Toyota Camry Conquest 1998, but probably lots of others as
> > well.
> > Remote control keyring is an ovoid black plastic case with one button.
> > Replacement price (in A$) around $100.
> >
> > The two halves of the case are heat-fused together, so you'll need a
> > hacksaw to cut all around the seam. Be careful! Take it slowly or you
> > could ruin the remote control.
> >
> > The battery inside is a lithium 3 V battery, model CR2032. Several

> > The battery is soldered on by means of two metal legs that are welded

wow.
20 years with toyota .your alarm battery problem is bull sht.they put
a long life battery in those remote so you lazy consumer wont have to
think about as often.READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL. OR JUST HAND IT TO YOUR
LOCAL TOYOTA PARTS OR SERVICE PERSONAL.WE HAVE NO PROBLEM.JUStTAKES A
MINUTE.

Nick Trounson

Nov 24, 2003, 6:31:04 PM11/24/03
mrmtm <mr...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Hey mister rant.

Did you not read the segment where he said 'THE REMOTE IS HEAT FUSED
TOGETHER'. Australasian issue Toyotas are NOT the same in every way as your
American issue ones (take for example an older model Corolla - you guys only
got 2T-Cs, 4A-Cs and shiz in your RWD models, we got the 2T-GEs and 4A-GEs).
Obviously the remotes are of a different design too.

His tip is perfectly useful if you're going to do a battery job on an
Australian issue Toyota remote. Sure it's not applicable to you, but it is
to the guys down south. So shut your piehole, I found his repair tips quite
intriguing.

Nick.

Shane

Nov 24, 2003, 10:18:20 PM11/24/03
Well Done Fucken give it to him and put him in his place.

YOU GO GIRL !!!

"Nick Trounson" <carc...@noooooooooooooo.com> wrote in message

korris

Nov 24, 2003, 11:00:19 PM11/24/03
Hello all,

MDT Tech® <ssau...@repairman.com> wrote in message

> > wow.
> > 20 years with toyota .your alarm battery problem is bull sht.they put
> > a long life battery in those remote so you lazy consumer wont have to
> > think about as often.READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL. OR JUST HAND IT TO YOUR
> > LOCAL TOYOTA PARTS OR SERVICE PERSONAL.WE HAVE NO PROBLEM.JUStTAKES A
> > MINUTE.

"Nick Trounson" <carc...@noooooooooooooo.com> wrote in message

> Hey mister rant.
>
> Did you not read the segment where he said 'THE REMOTE IS HEAT FUSED
> TOGETHER'. Australasian issue Toyotas are NOT the same in every way as
your
> American issue ones

If only I had his tip in when I asked the same question back in June of this
year in this newsgroup:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=korris+group:alt.autos.toyota.camry&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=alt.autos.toyota.camry&selm=oBxFa.257814%243n5.104087%40news2.central.cox.net&rnum=2

The advice given to me on the newsgroup is the same as the advice that could
be followed by a Camry owner in the US. However, I could not pry the damn
remote button open. I had to take it to my Toyota dealer and was told that
it would cost roughly AUD$100 to get a new one and to get it re-coded.
Luckily for me, I have an extended warranty on my 1999 Camry Conquest so I
was not charged anything.

MDT Tech - you do give some excellent advice but you have to know that we
are not all Charlene Blakes when it comes to our complaints about our
Toyotas and Toyota in general ;-)

Personally, I think that it is a big rort that Toyota Australia have heat
fused these remotes shut and that it costs so much get one replaced. Instead
of a $4.00 battery we have to pay $100 - there is no sense in that.

Cheers,
Nick
Sydney, Australia

Philip®

Nov 24, 2003, 11:01:37 PM11/24/03
In news:bpujjc$1r5e8s$1...@ID-195763.news.uni-berlin.de,
korris <n...@nk.com> being of bellicose mind posted:

> Personally, I think that it is a big rort that Toyota Australia
> have heat fused these remotes shut and that it costs so much get
> one replaced. Instead of a $4.00 battery we have to pay $100 -
> there is no sense in that.
>

> Cheers,
> Nick
> Sydney, Australia

I call things like that ... "profit centers."
--

~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"