Can't find spedometer fuse in '93 Passat

1 view

Judy

Sep 6, 2004, 9:47:10 AM9/6/04
I think I have blown the fuse for my speedometer/odometer. I hope
that is the extent of the problem. Everything else works just fine.

I looked in my manual, but I cannot determine which fuse controls the
speedometer. The diagram makes no reference to the speedometer.

My car is a 1993 5-speed.

Would someone please give me some advice?

Thanks,
Judy

dave

Sep 6, 2004, 12:50:27 PM9/6/04
>From: oceanwh...@lycos.com (Judy)

>I think I have blown the fuse for my speedometer/odometer. I hope
>that is the extent of the problem. Everything else works just fine.
>
>I looked in my manual, but I cannot determine which fuse controls the
>speedometer. The diagram makes no reference to the speedometer.
>
>My car is a 1993 5-speed.

Hmmm good question.
On my 91 Passat 16V with auto trans, I have a speed sensor on the transmission.
I am not even sure if it has a speedo cable. I will have to check out my
manual on that.
I don't remember any fuses for the speedo or odometer. So you need to plug
into your ECM with a vag-com tool, lift the left front side of the vehicle to
spin the wheel. Then you should get a reading on the vag-com tool.

I am thinking the speedo gets it readings from the ECM. I could be wrong
though. :-)

Is yours a VR6?

later,
dave
Reminder........
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way,
when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their
shoes. Frieda Norris

Judy

Sep 6, 2004, 7:25:09 PM9/6/04
> I don't remember any fuses for the speedo or odometer. So you need to plug
> into your ECM with a vag-com tool, lift the left front side of the vehicle to
> spin the wheel. Then you should get a reading on the vag-com tool.
>
> I am thinking the speedo gets it readings from the ECM. I could be wrong
> though. :-)
>
> Is yours a VR6?

Dave, thank you for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately, the
above information is way beyond me. I was hoping to find a fuse and
pull it out and put in a new one. There is the word "electronic" on
the panel, and I have that multifunction thing, so I thought there
would be a fuse.

I don't have a clue what an ECM or vag-tool are. I am guessing that
what you are telling me is that there is a mechanical thing that reads
the speed and mileage, and it's attached to the wheel, and that could
be broken. Is that right?

Thank you for your advice.
Judy

dave

Sep 7, 2004, 8:13:27 PM9/7/04
>From: oceanwh...@lycos.com (Judy)

Hi Judy,
Unless someone else chimes in and explains in better detail.....

ECM = Electronic/Engine Control Module (AKA Engine's computer)

Vag-Com (http://ross-tech.com/) Windows-based Diagnostic Software
for VW / Audi / Seat / Skoda

Yes about that speed sensor being attached to the transmission maybe!
Not 100% sure on your manual transmission though. :-(
That speed sensor should read the speed of the vehicle and translate it to an
electronic signal for the ECM to read. I would guess that the speedo would
then get info from the ECM.

Does the cruise control still work?