Need security advice for vulnerable Audi

Don Turner

Mar 22, 2005, 4:02:31 AM3/22/05
Guys,

My house was burgled and unfortunately one of the things the thieves took
was the spare remote for my 2001 Audi A3 tdi sports. I was away with the car
at the time so luckily they didn't get to steal that as well. But the
problem is that my car is now a sitting duck as someone, somewhere has the
only other remaining key.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do? e.g. change the locks???

Cheers
Don

Chris Bartram

Mar 22, 2005, 3:22:18 PM3/22/05
Steve Walker wrote:
> In message <bhuv31la2ljmbb7q6...@4ax.com>, Wolfgang
> Pawlinetz <w.paw...@a1.net> writes

>> Don Turner wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do? e.g. change the
>>> locks???
>>

>> Yep, change the locks. I've thought about advising to change the
>> programming only but then they could still get into your car.
>

> As a first step, it should be possible to reprogram the remote so that
> the stolen one is no longer valid. I know that my car needs both a key
> and a valid remote to start the engine. I don't know about the A3, and
> as you say they would still be able to enter the car. I'd go and ask an
> Audi dealer.

That#s the same for an A3. If you visit the dealer, they can de-program
the old key, and then it won't start the car. Obviously you need to
change the locks to stop people getting in.

Mike G

Mar 22, 2005, 5:11:23 AM3/22/05

"Don Turner" <leavem...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Maybe the OE one can be reprogrammed.
In the meantime have an aftermarket alarm and immobiliser fitted, with new
locks. and disable the OE one.
Mike.

Peat

Mar 22, 2005, 7:51:19 AM3/22/05
If you can get access to AUTODATA 2004 it will tell you how to reprogram
your remaining key.

Alternatively go to your local Audi dealer and explain the situation and
I am sure they will reprogram the key for you. It only takes a couple of
minutes.

HTH

radar

Mar 22, 2005, 6:10:56 PM3/22/05
just claim on your house insurance !!
they will cover new locks and de-programmeing any old keys and will probably
supply a replacement car whilst the work is done. we have dealt with two
similar cases recently at work with no problems.

Hope this helps

Radar

Steph

Mar 22, 2005, 2:46:24 PM3/22/05

"Peat" <manx...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Don Turner wrote:

Try a visual deterrent aswell like a steering wheel lock. Chances are they
were opportunistic, but they may know somebody....

Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Mar 22, 2005, 5:59:35 AM3/22/05
Don Turner wrote:

>Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do? e.g. change the locks???

Yep, change the locks. I've thought about advising to change the

programming only but then they could still get into your car.

If your house was insured, maybe you can get them to pay for the locks
change of the car as well, because it was a consequential damage?

Maybe just worth a try.

Regards

Wolfgang

Steve Walker

Mar 22, 2005, 7:24:44 AM3/22/05

--
Steve Walker

gazzafield

Mar 22, 2005, 5:43:02 AM3/22/05

"Don Turner" <leavem...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Sell it quickly?

C.R. Krieger

Mar 23, 2005, 10:31:51 AM3/23/05

If somebody wants to take a car and the only thing in the way is a
steering wheel lock, it *will* get stolen. It takes about 30 seconds
to saw through the steering wheel to get the (unbreakable) lock off.
Check ebay for current prices of replacement steering wheels and decide
for yourself whether it's economically viable.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; seen that)

marc

Mar 23, 2005, 10:50:28 AM3/23/05

"Don Turner" <leavem...@nospam.com> wrote in message

take a handful of fuses and solenoids out of the
fusebox. the starter solenoid should do the trick.

PS - fuses are easier to get around as any lump
of metal will bridge the gap.

Marc

Hairy One Kenobi

Mar 23, 2005, 12:44:50 PM3/23/05
"C.R. Krieger" <warp2_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Don't forget the immobiliser (compulsory over here for a fair number of
years)

It's fairly common now for thieves to break-in to a house specifically to
get car keys. Common enough that many car insurance policies explicitly
exclude payment if your car it stolen using its own key.

Came face to face with two kids trying to do that to me, a week and a half
ago - blind luck that I was at home at the time. Still sorting out the
details for the identity parade.

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

Steve Walker

Mar 23, 2005, 1:28:22 PM3/23/05
In message <mWh0e.41892$3A6....@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, Hairy One
Kenobi <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> writes

>It's fairly common now for thieves to break-in to a house specifically to
>get car keys. Common enough that many car insurance policies explicitly
>exclude payment if your car it stolen using its own key.
>
>Came face to face with two kids trying to do that to me, a week and a half
>ago -

BTDT. They kicked in the front door of my mum's house at 3am when we
were visiting one weekend. Subtle they're not.

>blind luck that I was at home at the time. Still sorting out the
>details for the identity parade.

Crikey, the police have got someone for it? We just got an incident
number and the expectation that they would get away with it.

--
Steve Walker

Depresion

Mar 23, 2005, 10:34:39 PM3/23/05

"radar" <radart...@trapblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> just claim on your house insurance !!
> they will cover new locks and de-programmeing any old keys

That's the theory but I remember a long battle a couple of years back at a
brokers where I do some tech support where the insurance company said they
wouldn't pay for new locks to be fitted but if the thieves came back and took
his new AMG they would pay to replace that, there must be logic in there but I
still fail to see it.

Hairy One Kenobi

Mar 25, 2005, 7:56:21 AM3/25/05
"Steve Walker" <st...@otolith.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

They knew who it was.. they even have a case sitting at the CPS from someone
else, same circumstances.

Figures.

H1K