2000 Passat startup whine

Pat Quadlander

Mar 23, 2005, 10:14:20 PM3/23/05
My wife has 2000 Passat 6cyl turbo automatic. Every morning on start up,
there is a high pitched whine coming from near the front of the engine bay.
The whine lasts only about 20 or 30 seconds. It does not vary with RPM.
Car has 90,000 miles, and this noise has been there for more than a year.
The dealer advises that it does not need to be replaced or repaired
immediately, but will cost around $400 parts and labor when it finally
fails.

What is this part? Can it be done by do-it-yourself fairly easy, or is it
recommended dealer repair?

2nd question: My driveway tilts downhill to the street. In morning on
start up, as I head at low speed from garage downhill to street and lightly
apply the brake to stop at the end of my driveway before entering the
street, I can feel through the bake pedal something that feels like a
floating weight that slides forward a very small distance before stopping at
the end of whatever it is floating in. This sliding weight is triggered
when I start the brakes to stop and the forward momentum plus downhill tilt
slides the weight forward. It makes a very light noise, that my wife says
she can't hear, but she can feel the sensation in the brake pedal. It's
just this one slide each morning, not recurring.