Weird headlight problem in 2014 Jetta

1 view

Mark Carson

Sep 6, 2020, 11:25:55 AM9/6/20
I have a 2014 Jetta with headlights that act up like they are possessed. Once
in a while everything is fine -- all lights are okay, high beam, low beam, no
warning lights, all that. (In the following, LB/HB is low beam, high beam.)

• The HB dashboard indicator is always on, even when the steering column
lever is on LB and lights are really LB.

• The turn signal dashboard light blinks fast and the relay clicks fast --
like there is a burnt-out bulb -- but they actually flash fine. When this
happens, the dashboard indicator for a burnt-out bulb may or may not be
illuminated.

• When the steering column lever is set to HB, all lights on the driver
side are dead; or, the HB bulb doesn't light at all and the LB bulb goes
faint.

• When I turn the lights off while the engine is running, they stay on.

• Say I'm driving at night all everything is fine. I turn the car off; when
I start it up again seconds later, the lights are messed up.

The most common scenario is that when the car is started, the lights are
either okay or they are messed up in some way, and they stay that way until
the car is started again. It's very rare that the lights go from good to bad
or bad to good while driving, but then again I work at night and live only
one mile from my job.

I ask your opinion because I don't want to $pend money when it could be
something simple like a circuit board that needs to have its contacts
cleaned. I looked in YouTube for the location of the headlight control
module, but could not find it.