Reading odometer in 1994 Ford Taurus

evan.dust...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2006, 8:09:15 PM1/8/06
I recently bought a used 1994 Ford Taurus. I have read about all of the
grief I may have with this car but I have a really simple question. The
odometer has only 6 digits with the 6th digit being black numbers on
white background. I read the owners manual but it is silent on reading
the distance from the odometer. If I assume that the 6th digit is
10th's of a mile, the odometer reads close to 16 thousand miles which
is absurd for a 1994 car. So, I am assuming that this car has close to
116 thousand miles on it... am I right?

evan.dust...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2006, 8:17:36 PM1/8/06

fweddybear

Jan 8, 2006, 8:48:59 PM1/8/06
<evan.dust...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Not necessarily....have you checked the car out? I mean, soes it look
like it has 116,000 miles on it or more like16,000. Its not really absured,
I own a 1990 ford truck and it only has just under 25,000 miles on it. I
also own a 1984 chevy with less than 22,000 miles on it...I am the original
owner on both those vehicles... and I also own a 1979 motorcycle with under
7500 miles on it....so it could be possible.... just look at the engine
block.... is it really grimey?? or more on the dusty side? Original tires?
is the drivers seat nice and plump, or does it sag?? things like this are
telltail signs....or it could also be 216,000 for all you know too...

Fwed

plainoldmechanic

Jan 9, 2006, 9:00:11 PM1/9/06
you are right, the last one is indeed tenths, as far as the mileage
goes , look at the wear on the rubber pad on the brake pedal...if only
16,000 miles it should look practically new, if it is worn a lot it is
more than likely 100,000 plus........

anumber1

Jan 10, 2006, 12:45:47 AM1/10/06
You, when the odometer hit 99,999 and 9/10ths it rolled back to all
00,000's.
I could be have 116,000 miles or 216,000 or more (doubt that tho, I
don't think a taurus can go that far).

Amellies

Jun 27, 2022, 11:15:07 PM6/27/22
So if it reads 819756 does that mean it only has 81975.6 or 819,756?
Just bought a 94 seems fairly taken care of! Just am having a hard time understanding the odometer

--
For full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/tech/reading-odometer-in-1994-ford-taurus-31521-.htm