Clutch bolts and locktite

Arlen Holder

Jul 22, 2018, 4:10:11 AM7/22/18
Which is best for dropping the transmission?

Do you remove the crossmember, the bracket, or just the transmission mount?
* Crossmember http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6290082bracket03.jpg
* Bracket http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4222146bracket02.jpg
* Mount http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6137530bracket01.jpg

Also, do you locktite the bolts when you re-install? (What color?)
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9054142locktite01.jpg

Wade Garrett

Jul 22, 2018, 9:59:24 AM7/22/18
If you have to ask those questions, the job is above your pay grade...

--
The fastest way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

Oren

Jul 22, 2018, 12:18:11 PM7/22/18
On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 08:10:10 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder
<arlen...@nospam.net> wrote:

>Which is best for dropping the transmission?
>
>Do you remove the crossmember, the bracket, or just the transmission mount?
>* Crossmember http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6290082bracket03.jpg
>* Bracket http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4222146bracket02.jpg
>* Mount http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6137530bracket01.jpg

What is the risk off the tranny falling on you?

>Also, do you locktite the bolts when you re-install? (What color?)
>http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9054142locktite01.jpg

The bolts have a torque range. Torque 'em and forget it.

Arlen Holder

Jul 22, 2018, 2:37:31 PM7/22/18
On 22 Jul 2018 09:18:06 GMT, Oren wrote:

> What is the risk off the tranny falling on you?
>
>>Also, do you locktite the bolts when you re-install? (What color?)
>>http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9054142locktite01.jpg
>
> The bolts have a torque range. Torque 'em and forget it.

I found out that almost nobody uses locktite on transmission bolts.
Flywheel yes. Transmission no.

I still might locktite it though, just because it's hard to get to the
upper 17mm transmission bolts on the bell housing (I had to use a series of
half-inch extensions 30" long with a swivel as the 3/8" extensions just
twisted more than a quarter turn and were useless).

The blue is the locktite I'll buy (I generally never use the stuff but I've
never done a transmission before - but I've done everything else that
people do as I don't think I've been to a mechanic in two decades and my
cars are all that old).
http://www.wdarc.org/Loctite%20Guide.pdf

I was hoping for more advice here than "if you don't know, then you should"
though. Sigh.

Anyway, as for the colors,
Blue is just help it from coming loose where proper torquing does the work.
Red is for permanent install, hard to come off
Green is for use on nuts and bolts that are already installed

This guide to locktite seems useful.
http://www.loctite.com.au/aue/content_data/354580_7128_Do_It_Right_Guide_v5_Approved.pdf

rbowman

Jul 22, 2018, 5:07:04 PM7/22/18
On 07/22/2018 12:37 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> Anyway, as for the colors,
> Blue is just help it from coming loose where proper torquing does the work.
> Red is for permanent install, hard to come off
> Green is for use on nuts and bolts that are already installed

If you're going to use any, blue is the way to go or the next time you
remove the transmission you'll be in there with a torch heating up the
bolts to soften the red.

I have never used LocTite on transmission, bellhousing, or pressure
plate fasteners.

Terry Coombs

Jul 22, 2018, 5:20:08 PM7/22/18
  But damn sure on the nut that holds the compensator sprocket to the
crankshaft on your Harley ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Arlen Holder

Jul 22, 2018, 7:01:20 PM7/22/18
On 22 Jul 2018 14:20:55 GMT, Terry Coombs wrote:

>> I have never used LocTite on transmission, bellhousing, or pressure
>> plate fasteners.
>
>   But damn sure on the nut that holds the compensator sprocket to the
> crankshaft on your Harley ...

Thanks for the locktite advice, where I never use it and I've done a decent
amount of work (cooling systems, alternators, belts, tensioners, etc.)
where I never before ran into bolts that needed 30 inches of extension to
get to, so I'll locktite blue them sparingly.

I always buy the tools I need, where right now, I can't think of the tool
that I need, but whatever it is, I need it.

How on earth do you get the transmission to back away from the engine?
I can't budge the thing! It's in neutral. I'm positive all the bolts are
off. I'm only somewhat positive that it's level because you can't really
easily tell, but it's close enough as I can wiggle it back and forth. If
it's hanging up on something, I don't see what. I just can't get any
rearward force on that transmission. What tool does that?

Here are some pictures showing that it seems to be hanging up on the upper
dowel pin, where the lower dowel pin is already out.

This is the driver side lower dowel pin, which is already out:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7254379bellhousing01.jpg>
This is the same view showing that the tranmission "appears" level:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6205540bellhousing02.jpg>
This is the passenger side where the dowel pin can be seen up high:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5277197bellhousing03.jpg>
I'm not sure where to place the jack but it's at the transmission waist:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1315488bellhousing04.jpg>

The tool I need is a tool to back the transmission away from the engine.
What tool is that?

rbowman

Jul 22, 2018, 7:09:16 PM7/22/18
On 07/22/2018 03:20 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

> But damn sure on the nut that holds the compensator sprocket to the
> crankshaft on your Harley ...

Luckily I haven't had to go there yet. I didn't replace the clutch
throwout bearing a few years ago but that's no big deal.

Grant me the knowledge to put LocTite on the things shouldn't come
apart, Never-Seez on the things that should, and the wisdom to know the
difference.

rbowman

Jul 22, 2018, 9:16:19 PM7/22/18
On 07/22/2018 05:01 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> The tool I need is a tool to back the transmission away from the engine.
> What tool is that?

Are you supporting the engine?

Arlen Holder

Jul 22, 2018, 10:58:33 PM7/22/18
On 22 Jul 2018 18:17:06 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> Are you supporting the engine?

OH oh.... supporting the engine?
I could. I have plenty of floor jacks.

It's RWD though.
The vehicle is on four jack stands (two on the rear axle and two on front
frame points just inside the wheels).

I appreciate your question, and my answer is definitely "no", I am not
supporting the engine.

It didn't occur to me to support the engine so I have to ask why would that
help?

(I'm not at all against the idea - I just don't understand how it can
help?)

How would I support the engine so that it would help?

Paul in Houston TX

Jul 23, 2018, 1:29:04 AM7/23/18
Oh my.

You _must_ support the engine. Either via a block of wood under the oil
pan, a trans lift under the pan, or a bar with chain across the shock towers
or hood opening. If you dont, the engine will tilt. Bad things can happen
like something goes through the radiator or the exhaust manifold breaks,
wires get ripped off, etc.
The cross member - remove it. It will make life a lot easier.
You did not say what specific engine, vehicle, trans, etc, but without
removing it it is doubtful that that there will be enough room to back off
the trans and then tilt forward to drop it with out breaking off the tail shaft.
So why are you removing the trans? To R&R the clutch?
If so, then replace the throwout bearing while you are at it.
You will need a clutch plate centering tool.
Thread lock- I tend to use blue thread lock on small bolts and nuts
that get torqued to inch pounds but not on large bolts that get
torqued to 100+ foot pounds. A suggestion: replace any lock washers.

rbowman

Jul 23, 2018, 2:09:02 AM7/23/18
You took out the cross member under the transmission, right? Do the
engine mounts entirely support the engine, or do the transmission mounts
play a part? In other words, is the rear of the engine trying to rotate
downward and binding the transmission?

I don't know your vehicle, but usually a jack under the crankcase does
the trick. You're not trying to jack the engine up, just replace the
support provided by the transmission you're trying to remove.

rbowman

Jul 23, 2018, 2:12:25 AM7/23/18
On 07/22/2018 11:29 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> If so, then replace the throwout bearing while you are at it.

Good advice. I've replaced two throwout bearings on my F150. I did the
clutch and pressure plate too the second time around even though both
were serviceable. The latest throwout bearing is composite, not cast
iron, and hopefully will last. For the record, it wasn't the bearing
itself but the body binding on the transmission.

Tekkie®

Jul 23, 2018, 2:40:13 PM7/23/18
Wade Garrett posted for all of us...

> On 7/22/18 4:10 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> > Which is best for dropping the transmission?
> >
> > Do you remove the crossmember, the bracket, or just the transmission mount?
> > * Crossmember http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6290082bracket03.jpg
> > * Bracket http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4222146bracket02.jpg
> > * Mount http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6137530bracket01.jpg
> >
> > Also, do you locktite the bolts when you re-install? (What color?)
> > http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9054142locktite01.jpg
> >
> If you have to ask those questions, the job is above your pay grade...

I believe this guy is the valve stem thread, harbor freight bead breaker,
tire spec, brake lining spec Ultrec nym shifter. If he would just post under
one name then I and more people would help him. Since I posted this the
insults and diversions will now start.

--
Tekkie

Terry Coombs

Jul 23, 2018, 4:27:18 PM7/23/18
Been there more than once on more than one bike . NOBODY puts a wrench
on my bike but me ... the 1990 Ultra recently got a total tranny rebuild
and new pistons/rings/valve tappets/top end gaskets plus a new primary
chain and comp sprocket set .

Arlen Holder

Jul 23, 2018, 5:51:57 PM7/23/18
On 22 Jul 2018 22:29:00 GMT, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

> Oh my.
>
> You _must_ support the engine. Either via a block of wood under the oil
> pan, a trans lift under the pan, or a bar with chain across the shock towers
> or hood opening. If you dont, the engine will tilt. Bad things can happen
> like something goes through the radiator or the exhaust manifold breaks,
> wires get ripped off, etc.
> The cross member - remove it. It will make life a lot easier.
> You did not say what specific engine, vehicle, trans, etc, but without
> removing it it is doubtful that that there will be enough room to back off
> the trans and then tilt forward to drop it with out breaking off the tail shaft.
> So why are you removing the trans? To R&R the clutch?
> If so, then replace the throwout bearing while you are at it.
> You will need a clutch plate centering tool.
> Thread lock- I tend to use blue thread lock on small bolts and nuts
> that get torqued to inch pounds but not on large bolts that get
> torqued to 100+ foot pounds. A suggestion: replace any lock washers.

To answer your question, I am now supporting the engine but I don't think
it needed to be supported since nobody else does that that I could figure
out. With the jack on the engine and the transmission out, I can move the
engine about 1/2 inch or even less, so that might be helpful when lining it
up for the reassembly though.

The cross member and the sway bar were removed, and I'm glad it did that
because you need as much room as possible the first time you do it.

The Aisin clutch kit from Rockauto came with five pieces:
a. Clutch plate
b. Diaphragm
c. Pilot bearing
d. Throwout bearing
e. Alignment tool

I am replacing the clutch where it was worn to the rivets.

I'm kind of stuck now on whether to remove the flywheel and get a new one
or have it machined (and replace the oil seal behind it) or just keep it
where it is (the bolts are on really tightly and I can't tell if it needs
to be machined or not).
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4230325sticking05.jpg>

Arlen Holder

Jul 23, 2018, 5:59:17 PM7/23/18
On 22 Jul 2018 23:09:49 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> You took out the cross member under the transmission, right?

Yup. And I'm glad I did as you need all the room you can get the first time
you do this job, especially since the transmission jack is kind of big.

> Do the
> engine mounts entirely support the engine, or do the transmission mounts
> play a part?

The engine is fully supported with the transmission out. Even so, I now
have a jack under it, just in case I want to move it upward to align things
on the replacement.

> In other words, is the rear of the engine trying to rotate
> downward and binding the transmission?

The problem was stupid. Really stupid. I am embarrassed. I removed the
exhaust bracket bolts (two of them) but I didnt' realize that the bracket,
even when not connected to the bell housing, was in the way of the bell
housing moving backward. I'm an idiot. It was all my fault.
I couldn't find a DIY that explained this as everyone has different exhaust
depending on federal versus cali and the engine most people have is
different.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9617515sticking01.jpg>

> I don't know your vehicle, but usually a jack under the crankcase does
> the trick. You're not trying to jack the engine up, just replace the
> support provided by the transmission you're trying to remove.

I have a jack under the engine now, but it's not needed for the engine.
It may be needed for adjusting angles for reassembly as the old diaphragm
(before I took it off the engine) seems off kilter when looking head (for
some reason).
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2755957sticking03.jpg>

While I can see the shift fork and throwout bearing in the bell housing
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2978407sticking02.jpg>

I haven't been able to see the pilot bearing or the rear oil seal.

Where is the pilot bearing? Is it under the throwout bearing?
Is the oil seal behind the flywheel?

I'm not sure if I can get that flywheel off as those bolts are tight and my
half-inch sockets are all only six point where you have to have 12 point:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7699843sticking07.jpg>

How important do you think the flywheel machining or replacement is?
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4230325sticking05.jpg>

Hank Rogers

Jul 23, 2018, 6:44:39 PM7/23/18
The pilot bearing is just a bushing in the end of the crank or flywheel.
The tip (about 1" or less) of the transmission's input shaft rests in
this bushing to support it from flexing. Visible after you remove
transmission and clutch plate and pressure plate. You'll need to use a
suitable puller attached to a slide hammer to get it out. If the one
already there looks ok, you can skip that and lightly grease it before
you install the new clutch. If it is badly worn out, the front bearings
in your tranny may be gone too.

Rear oil seal is a little more trouble. Need to remove the oil pan and
maybe even the rear crank main bearing. Again, if its not leaking, leave
it for the next overhaul.

Always replace the pressure plate and disc and the throwout bearing.
Often, if the friction plate hasn't worn down to where the rivets have
badly eaten up the flywheel, you don't need a new or regrind on the
flywheel. If the scoring or grooves are small, the new clutch plate will
wear in and work fine, although it will have slightly less lifetime
since the grooving takes up a tiny bit of it's thickness during break in.

A clutch is exactly the same type mechanism as a brake disk and rotor,
or brake shoes and drums. Use your experience there to guide you.

Judging when something must be replaced or reground is largely a matter
of experience, so you'll just have to go from there and learn from any
mistakes. There are no magic solutions.

Good luck.

Wade Garrett

Jul 23, 2018, 7:01:29 PM7/23/18
Yeah, he was offended by what I said and took a shot at me in another
newsgroup over it. I was really just trying to help the guy out.

Asking those rookie questions before starting the major repair he was
contemplating, I had visions of him mangling his hand, crushing his
fingers, or a heavy overhead assembly slipping as he tried to remove it
and dropping down onto him cracking his skull or crushing his chest.

When he sees this post- he'll probably go apoplectic!

--
If it is not right, do not do it; if it is not true, do not say it.
- Marcus Aurelius

Terry Coombs

Jul 23, 2018, 9:59:19 PM7/23/18
  Pilot bushings are most easily removed by filling them with grease ,
then using a round bar that fits snugly to apply hydraulic pressure -
put one end of that round bar in the bushing and smack the other end
with a hammer . A big one works better ... the bushing will pop right out .

Paul in Houston TX

Jul 24, 2018, 1:37:12 AM7/24/18
Nice clutch kit.
From the photo it looks like it got pretty hot.
I would have it machined or replaced.
Rent an electric impact wrench and socket if you need to.

Arlen Holder

Jul 24, 2018, 1:14:28 PM7/24/18
On 23 Jul 2018 22:37:05 GMT, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

> Nice clutch kit.

I needed 30 inches of 1/2" extension for the two top 17mm bolt
but those extensions you saw didn't come with the Aisin clutch kit.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7378316clutch01.jpg>

The Rockauto Aisin clutch kit only comes with these 5 parts.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2998436clutch02.jpg>

> From the photo it looks like it got pretty hot.

It was slipping for about 30 to 50 miles and stinking up a bit also.

> I would have it machined or replaced.

Machining is $60, replacement is in stock at one dealer at $716 (PN
13405-75040) plus $66.23 in sales tax, which makes that dealer $782.23.
When I gasped, the counter guy said he could take 20% off, which I didn't
know that dealers did discounts.

Calling another dealer, they didn't have it in stock but it was $588 plus
$54.39 in sales tax, which makes it 642.39.

At the local parts stores, a LUK flywheel is $95, O'Reillys PowerTorque
flywheel is $81.74, and the Autozone BrutePower flywheel is $82.

It always amazes me that the dealer parts guys don't know what brand
anything is, so I can't tell you who makes the Toyota flywheel but my
choice is one of the others, based on sheer price alone.

> Rent an electric impact wrench and socket if you need to.

I am about to try now, where I have a 1/2 inch motorocycle hand impact
driver, but I don't have 1/2 inch 12-point sockets, so I will try with a
1/2-inch to 3/8-inch adaptor but that seems like a kludge.

If that doesn't work, when I pick up the flywheel, I'll buy some 1/2 inch
12-point impact sockets (if they even exist).

I do have a 220VAC 20-gallon 120 psi compressor and an air impact gun but
the gun sucks and is only good for spinning off already loose bolts. I
don't know why it sucks. It never worked. I bought it 20 years ago, and it
just takes up space in my toolbox. I don't know how to pick a good one at a
good price where price is important because I almost never use the air
impact gun.

Maybe I'll buy an air impact gun, but since I need it today, I can only
shop Home Depot where I don't even know what they sell there or if it's any
good. Clearly the air impact gun I have sucks, so you can get sucky ones
for sure, and who wants that.

Tekkie®

Jul 24, 2018, 3:08:16 PM7/24/18
Arlen Holder posted for all of us...
You want to buy 6 point impact sockets...

IF you hold the flywheel you MAY be able to get it of with a cheater.

Electric impacts have improved. Your present air impact may be weak because
your setup cannot deliver enough air at sufficient pressure.

--
Tekkie

Arlen Holder

Jul 24, 2018, 5:14:07 PM7/24/18
On 23 Jul 2018 18:59:38 GMT, Terry Coombs wrote:

>   Pilot bushings are most easily removed by filling them with grease ,
> then using a round bar that fits snugly to apply hydraulic pressure -
> put one end of that round bar in the bushing and smack the other end
> with a hammer . A big one works better ... the bushing will pop right out .

Thanks for that helpful advice Terry.

Since I've never done this, I need advice on even the simplest things if
I've never encountered them before.

For bearings, I have plenty of harmonic balancer pullers and gear pullers
but all of them latch to the OUTSIDE of a gear, hence they won't work on
this bearing because there's nothing to hold on to on the outside.

I didn't try the packed grease trick yet, but since I have to pick up the
new flywheel and rear engine seal anyway, I may as well pick up a bearing
puller at Home Depot or the auto parts store to get this pilot bearing out.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4808619transmission01.jpg>

The main question I have is for Clare, which is how does that rear main
seal come out, and would he use the paper gasket that supposedly comes with
it or Toyota FIPG instead (or both)?

Arlen Holder

Jul 24, 2018, 5:16:10 PM7/24/18
On 24 Jul 2018 12:08:15 GMT, TekkieŽ wrote:

> You want to buy 6 point impact sockets...

The problem with that is that the flywheel bolts are 12 point.

> IF you hold the flywheel you MAY be able to get it of with a cheater.

The flywheel is off. I used a lock stop and a normal 1/2 inch breaker bar.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1744336transmission02.jpg>

> Electric impacts have improved. Your present air impact may be weak because
> your setup cannot deliver enough air at sufficient pressure.

I first tried the hand impact tool, and it failed.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1244980flywheel04.jpg>

Then I tried the air-impact gun, and it failed even worse.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4748611flywheel02.jpg>

The air pressure is 120psi and the hose is 50 feet of 1/2 inch line, and
the setting was set to 4 (smallest hole and to 1 biggest hole - as I'm not
sure which is high pressure and which is low pressure) and it didn't do a
thing (it never does, which is why I never use it).

It's a Universal Tool UT 2210:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5614055flywheel03.jpg>

Later, not today, I'll post a thread asking for a specific gun that I can
buy on the net that actually works that isn't too expensive (because I
almost never use a gun so it has to pay for itself with very few uses).

What worked is the old school method, which only took a little more effort:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1291741flywheel01.jpg>

What I need to ask Clare is how to get to that rear engine seal.
Do I take out all those bolts around the pilot bearing area?
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4808619transmission01.jpg>

Arlen Holder

Jul 24, 2018, 5:19:26 PM7/24/18
On 24 Jul 2018 12:00:31 GMT, TekkieŽ wrote:

> +500 on that! I don't know if machining will take all that out with any life
> left in it. He stated he was down to the rivets so who knows what else...

The rivets were worn only on the side facing the transmission, not the side
facing the flywheel.

Resurfacing the flywheel doesn't seem worth it since it's $60 to resurface
today and you never know how deeply the guy has to go (it was resurfaced
once before about 10 years ago) and you don't know if he does a good job or
not (but he probably does a great job as he's recommended by others).

So I'm buying a new flywheel, and, in fact, the old one is already off.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4808619transmission01.jpg>

I was hoping Clare could recommend a flywheel given the information I
provided (Toyota is as high as $700 while the parts stores are all below
$100).

rbowman

Jul 24, 2018, 6:54:23 PM7/24/18
On 07/23/2018 03:59 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> The problem was stupid. Really stupid. I am embarrassed. I removed the
> exhaust bracket bolts (two of them) but I didnt' realize that the bracket,
> even when not connected to the bell housing, was in the way of the bell
> housing moving backward. I'm an idiot. It was all my fault.

That's not as bad as suddenly realizing the transmission is hanging from
the speedometer cable... I doubt they exist anymore so make that some
sort of sensor wiring.

Arlen Holder

Jul 25, 2018, 1:47:35 AM7/25/18
On 24 Jul 2018 15:55:12 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> That's not as bad as suddenly realizing the transmission is hanging from
> the speedometer cable... I doubt they exist anymore so make that some
> sort of sensor wiring.

There is a speedometer gear which has to be pulled out of the transmission:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3362017speedo04.jpg>

If I had known it was so easy to disable an odometer, the vehicle would
have only 20K miles on it instead of 180K! (jk)

I took great pains to ensure the electrical harness was clear at all times.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2294161clutch05.jpg>

I even removed the upstream lamba probe so as to to prevent damage:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6912446sensorwiring01.jpg>

That upstream oxygen sensor crossed the transmission but I couldn't unclip
it so I just unbolted it. I will replace it as it's the original O2 sensor.

I probably should have bought a downstream o2 sensor also to replace but I
didn't think of it when I was ordering the clutch parts.

Arlen Holder

Jul 25, 2018, 1:47:36 AM7/25/18
On 24 Jul 2018 19:17:56 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

> The OEM bolts have thradlocker on them. Clean the threads - both on
> the bolt and in the holes - use the primer made for the threadlocker,
> and use the medium strength locker (Blue)

Thanks for that advice Clare as I don't generally deal with threadlockers.

I saw your post only after I returned from the parts trip, where I had
already picked up Loctite Red 271 and Permatex Red, and Loctite Blue 242
and Permatex Blue based on what the two different parts stores told me to
get when I asked what they put on flywheels and bellhousing bolts.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4130173fluids01.jpg>

Somewhere I read we have to FIPG the rear main oil seal, but now I think
they mean to put FIPG in place of that paper gasket under the cover that
holds the rear main oil seal.
<https://www.yotashop.com/toyota-2-7l-2-4l-crankshaft-rear-main-seal-set-rm957/>

I had already picked up this high temperature Permatex "gasket maker",
where the purpose one is called Permatex Ultra Synthetic Gasket Maker"
which "resists up to 500d F intermittent" and the Red RTF High Temp Gasket
Maker says "resists up to 650d F intermittent".
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9599745fluids02.jpg>

I didn't know to pick up the primer. I'll have to go back tomorrow to get
that primer (do you think carb cleaner or acetone will work?)

I don't mind doing things the right way - but I just have to know what the
right way is, where I didn't know about the primer until this moment.

Arlen Holder

Jul 25, 2018, 1:47:38 AM7/25/18
On 24 Jul 2018 19:14:59 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

> Drive a stout sheet metal screw into the seal and pop it out wit
> sonething like a claw hammer. Then grease the (new) seal, inside and
> out, and carefully drive it in.

Aha! Thanks for explaining how to remove the old seal, as I didn't know if
I should unbolt that plate or not to get it out. If it's that easy, I
really need to do it even though the original isn't leaking.

This is a picture where the rear oil seal comes with the paper gasket:
<https://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server4100/9cc30/products/9104/images/10439/RM957__95167.1426114211.1280.1280.jpg>

It looks like they also call it a timing-cover seal (which is strange):
<https://parts.olathetoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-timing-cover-seal-9031188003>

Even though it's in the back of the engine:
<https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~seal~engine~rear~oil~90311-88003.html>

It does have a "retainer" which I guess is the aluminum housing around it:
<https://parts.olathetoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-rear-main-seal-retainer-1138175012>

The Toyota dealer parts people screwed up again, in that they "said" they
had the rear main oil seal in stock, but they were talking about the wrong
seal. Apparently they have something called an "engine seal" and they call
this one the "transmission seal" (where I had explained clearly over the
phone that it's directly behind the flywheel). Sigh. (At the three
different brand dealers I go to, the parts guys always seem to be clueless
about parts, where I'm amazed at how long it takes them to look stuff up,
for example, where I can find things quicker than they can).

They printed this out for me which is the part they should have ordered.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1320830oilseal01.jpg>

Their P/N (11381A) doesn't fit with what a search finds (90311-88003).

I'd really like to replace that seal even though it isn't leaking, because
if it does ever leak, you have to remove the transmission to get to it.

I'll try another dealer tomorrow (there are two within 30 miles of me).

> and DEFINITELY replace that pilot bearing!!!!!!!

Yup. I'm taking all your advice. The kit comes with a pilot bearing:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7378316clutch01.jpg>

> You can rent a pilot bearing puller slide hammer from
> most parts suppliers with a tool rental program. If it doesn't sound
> like a cement mixer now, it soon will - - - -

The amazing thing is that I went to two parts stores today, both of which
rent out the pilot bearing puller and slide hammer (separately), where the
amazing thing is that the bearing pullers are all TOO BIG to fit inside
this pilot bearing!

The people at both stores tried to fit it inside the new bearing, which,
luckily, I had in my pocket, where they're too fat even though you can
slide the teeth forward one at a time.

It's pretty amazing since this looks like a pretty standard engine and so
it has a pretty standard pilot bearing, right? The pilot bearing is a "6201
RS" which is a very common bearing for lots of shafts.

The tool is two pieces, as you noted.
1. A slide hammer that screws into the back end of the tool
2. The tool itself, which has both sliding and expanding jaws

Yet, both bearing pullers I tested at those two parts stores were too big.

I could rent one, and then grind it down to fit, but that would be abuse.
If I could have found a tool that fit, I would have bought it already.

I'm not worried though, as the packed-grease method Terry Coombs suggested
might work anyway, and where I might have to do that if I can't find a
small enough pilot-bearing removal tool.

Arlen Holder

Jul 25, 2018, 1:47:39 AM7/25/18
On 24 Jul 2018 19:08:11 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

> No experience with aftermarket flywheels or O-Reillys. Sachs or LUK
> should bothbe good. Both are OEM manufacturers for many european
> makers.
>
> The flywheel looks bad enough that for the difference between $60 to
> machine and $95 for a new LUK there shouldn't be any question.

Thanks Clare,

You have, by far, the most experience here and I have, by far, the least,
hence I appreciate the advice.

I was worried about getting the flywheel off, but it came out easily once I
put a 1/2-inch-socket breaker bar to the ten 14-mm 12-point bolts:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1179779flywheel07.jpg>

I had to wait all day for the new flywheel to arrive, which it did late in
the day. So I'm sorry for the lousy before-and-after picture below but it
was taken at night when I got home.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2793357flywheel05.jpg>

Looking at the flywheel, I can't visually see or feel anything that is any
lesser quality, where the box for the new flywheel has OE all over it, and
inside stickers saying it meets OEM specs.

I was surprised the new flywheel is almost the same thickness as the
original, the difference being almost imperceptible ... which I can measure
tomorrow, but you can barely feel it.

I had expected the new flywheel to be a lot thicker than the old one since
I know the original has about 180K miles on it and it was supposedly turned
once at somewhere around 80K miles sometime around 2005.

Going to the dealer for the rear oil seal was an experience in futility.

rbowman

Jul 25, 2018, 9:53:30 AM7/25/18
On 07/24/2018 11:47 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> I didn't know to pick up the primer. I'll have to go back tomorrow to get
> that primer (do you think carb cleaner or acetone will work?)

I've got a can a primer around here someplace but I seldom use it. YMMV.
It helps if the threads are very sloppy or it's cold and you want to
speed up the setting.

Hank Rogers

Jul 25, 2018, 4:20:04 PM7/25/18
> I'm not worried though, as the packed-grease method Terry Coombs suggested
> might work anyway, and where I might have to do that if I can't find a
> small enough pilot-bearing removal tool.

That can work great. But the biggest problem is finding a drift or bar
stock that EXACTLY fits the pilot bearing ... especially if the latter
is badly worn and possibly distorted. It is definitely worth a try
though, if you can't find a tool that fits.

It is hell to have to pull a damn engine to get the crankshaft out for
some piddly problem. Time and $$$. Sometimes though, it just works out
that way, so we just have to keep pulling wrenches and grin and bear it :)

Hank Rogers

Jul 25, 2018, 4:44:00 PM7/25/18
Clutches have gotten much better in the last few decades. Some of the
old cars from the 40's and 50's had to have the clutch routinely
serviced/replaced about every 50K miles. The durn brakes had to be
adjusted every few thousand miles, and tuneups with new points.

I drove a small 1990 ford FWD car for 250,000 miles and never replaced
the clutch, though lots of other things needed minor repairs. But I
never abused the clutch ... There were no teenage drivers.

The point is to not overdo this. The car may up and die from some
unrelated cause after you have gone the full 9 yards and spent a small
fortune.

If it wasn't Elvis Presley's car, or a priceless antique, your
investment is wiped out when it dies.

Good luck, and hoping you fix that buggy soon!

Arlen Holder

Jul 25, 2018, 5:23:12 PM7/25/18
On 25 Jul 2018 13:19:54 GMT, Hank Rogers wrote:

> That can work great. But the biggest problem is finding a drift or bar
> stock that EXACTLY fits the pilot bearing ... especially if the latter
> is badly worn and possibly distorted. It is definitely worth a try
> though, if you can't find a tool that fits.

Thanks to the suggestions from Terry & Clare and others, the pilot bearing
is out.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2381579pilot04.jpg>

I first tried the grease gun with an M12x1.25 bolt but my gun is old (it's
from the 1940's AFAIK) and it wasn't working well and the grease was too
thin (but I left it in the hot sun to take pictures and that didn't help).
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9892867pilot01.jpg>

I used the wife's home made pizza, chewed up, and placed in the pilot hole.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1163525alignmentpin02.jpg>

An M12x1.25 bolt that I bought to make dowel pins out of worked fine with
parafilm wrapped on the threads to snug it up a bit.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4879341pilot03.jpg>

It only took about 10 minutes but it took am amazing number of refills.

Thanks everyone for that idea. Since the clutch fork fell out while I was
tipping the transmission on its end to look at the rear seal, everything is
out now (I just have to figure out how it all goes back together!).

Arlen Holder

Jul 25, 2018, 5:28:56 PM7/25/18
On 25 Jul 2018 05:57:38 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

> For gasket maker I never use anything but "the right stuff" from
> Permatex

Thanks Clare.
I'm pretty much ready for reassembly.

I'm not sure if I pack the pilot bearing area with grease or not:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2381579pilot04.jpg>

But here's that promised before & after flywheel photo with part numbers
stamped "Engineerd in USA PHT50-136-033118" on the new flywheel:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6217915flywheel001.jpg>
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4020392flywheel002.jpg>

One screwup is that the clutch fork and throwout bearing fell out when I
tipped the transmission vertical on the bell housing to look at the rear
seal where I'm not sure what the proper technique is to get it out.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5004047rearseal01.jpg>

So I'm looking up how they went back together where I should have marked
the position when I first took the transmission off the engine.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9205011fork01.jpg>

Most of my mistakes and questions are because I've never done this before.
Thanks for your patience and advice.

Arlen Holder

Jul 26, 2018, 11:18:52 AM7/26/18
On 25 Jul 2018 19:54:00 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

> You are NOT a mechanical engineer..FOLLOW THE TORQUE SPECSs!!!!!!!
> You do NOT want a flywheel bolt fracturing after you have it all back
> together and running!!!!!!!!!!!
> The torque spec is correct, and was arrived at for a good reason
> The difference is the 3RZ uses torque to yield, or "stretch" bolts
> (which SHOULD be replaced every time they are removed)
> You do NOT want to over-stretch a bolt that is not designed for
> "torque to yield" - or strip the threads out of the crankshaft
> either!!!!!!!!

EDIT: I sent this yesterday but I see it failed and was still in my inbox.

Hi Clare,
Thanks for that advice as I hadn't thought of that (I keep doing things
after you mention them because I don't know what you'll mention).

You have a good point there. I'm not a mechanical engineer. I didn't
realize the 3RZFE bolts should be replaced since I didn't see that
anywhere.

What you say makes sense. I'll back them out tomorrow and re-torque them to
the original spec. I did make sure that I put all 10 bolts in, and then
tightened all ten, and then removed each in a star pattern, one by one, to
torque them so that the torque would be even.

I did the same on the 6 bolts of the diaphragm.

I stopped at the point of putting the transmission back in as I have to
modify the jack because of a stupid placement of the front-to-back lever
where it hits the transmission and can't go as far as I need it.

I also knocked off loose the throw out bearing, so I'm going to rubber
band the fork at the outside so that doesn't happen gain.

I also moved the dowel pins I made so that both are on the bottom because I
couldn't see the one at the top anyway.

Here are some shots, but I have to finish this job so they're not annotated
well.

I first hand tightened and then tool tightened all 10
flywheel bolts, and then removed them one at a time in
a star pattern to torque and loctite blue them where I
then painted a white dot indicating bolts that are done.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3249536clutch008.jpg>

You can stick a 10mm battery holddown rod into the flywheel
holes to immobilize it but you're still going to need to
immobilize the flywheel later by wedging a prybar against
the teeth, so it's a waste of time to use the rod and,
besides, it gets in the way of long torque wrenches.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3686120clutch007.jpg>

This is the clutch disc on the flywheel showing the correct
alignment of the springs, which face toward the transmission.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1640228clutch006.jpg>

Putting the clutch on the flywheel was a breeze, where I jammed a
prybar into the flywheel teeth to immobilize it, and where I
put the alignment tool in the center. It was so easy, I'm not
sure what would have happend without the alignment tool as there
was nothing that I needed to align that I could tell.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6173425clutch005.jpg>

I have to modify the jack which is stupidly designed such that you
can't twist the lever for adjustment when the transmission is on
the jack. Also I have to rubber-band the clutch fork so it doesn't
fall loose again when I'm jiggling the transmission into place.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2711707clutch004.jpg>

I greased the TOB fork but I need thicker grease than Mobile 1 bearing
grease:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3390937clutch003.jpg>

This shows the clutch on the engine with the temporary dowel pins ready:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4146979clutch002.jpg

The transmission easily rolls to the temporary dowel pins
but that's where I needed the angle adjustment that the
badly designed transmission jack won't allow yet.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6936189clutch001.jpg>

Arlen Holder

Jul 26, 2018, 6:29:36 PM7/26/18
Hi Clare,
You probably won't respond in time to help advise, me, but it's just not
going in.

I remember folks discussing putting the transmission in high gear (fifth in
this case), but I can't see why - but maybe it's to twist the transmission
shaft so that the male splined shaft at the front can be rotated a bit to
fit into the engine female splines?

I've been in neutral up until now, but I put the transmission in fifth but
what do you turn to rotate the shaft at the front?

The only thing there is are the splines on the back, but how do you turn
them? You can't get your fingers in there and you need a female spline
which you won't have.

I'm stuck. Do people normally have to rotate the transmission shaft?
How do you rotate it?

dsi1

Jul 26, 2018, 6:53:51 PM7/26/18
Make sure the engine and transmission are meeting at the correct angles. They have to be going in straight to each other. Check to make sure you haven't knocked the clutch disk out of alignment.

Paul in Houston TX

Jul 26, 2018, 7:53:40 PM7/26/18
Did you try both the clutch disk and the pilot brearing on the trans
before assembly?
If they fit ok then keep jigging the trans or back it out and turn the
shaft a couple of degrees by hand and try again.
Where is the drive shaft? Can you plug it into the back of the trans?
Tie the other end up on something to get it ~level.

Arlen Holder

Jul 26, 2018, 9:50:54 PM7/26/18
On 26 Jul 2018 16:51:31 GMT, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

> Did you try both the clutch disk and the pilot brearing on the trans
> before assembly?

Ah. No. I didn't even think of that.
Luckily it must fit - but that is a GREAT idea as a double check!

> If they fit ok then keep jigging the trans or back it out and turn the
> shaft a couple of degrees by hand and try again.

I jiggled with my head by the differential and my feet up on the
transmission (boy am I glad I removed the crossmember!) and jiggled that
transmission like it was a bowl of jelly. Something in all that jiggling
worked!

> Where is the drive shaft? Can you plug it into the back of the trans?
> Tie the other end up on something to get it ~level.

Thanks for that idea of the drive shaft. It's right here, but it never
occurred to me to use it. Now I know! Thanks.

I wonder if it's normal to have to move the transmission front shaft by
about 1/16 of an inch or so to make sure the splines line up with those
inside the pressure plate and clutch disc?

Pictures later.... got to get back to the job before nightfall.

Arlen Holder

Jul 26, 2018, 9:51:05 PM7/26/18
On 26 Jul 2018 17:50:07 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

>>I'm stuck. Do people normally have to rotate the transmission shaft?
>>How do you rotate it?
>
> Stick the driveshaft in.

Hi Clare,
I didn't think of that!

Thanks for all your help, as you are helping me UNDERSTAND what I'm doing!

Anyway, yet again, your answer came too late, but it's good to know as I
would have asked why on earth people said to put the transmission in the
high (fifth) gear, since that's the *only* step where it's needed (any gear
works fine for the rest of the transmission job).

I tried to use pliers on the shaft on the back of the transmission but
there's absolutely zero chance you'll spin it that way.

What I ended up doing was loosening the straps on the transmission jack and
then putting my head way back at the differential, and my feet on the back
of the transmission and I jiggled the transmission like it was a bowl of
jello.

When I went forward to look at the effect, voila, the bolts were lined up
and slid onto my two 17mm diameter threaded 3-inch dowels (which were a
Godsend, where I'm super happy that I machined them!).

I didn't use any loctite because I want to put all the bolts in first, and
then snug them up, and then remove one by one, to loctite blue when I'm
actually ready to torque them.

At this point, I don't have any questions as I'm just at the stage of
putting back the myriad bolts and sensors and fluid.

I have two now-old questions that I would love more detail on, both of
which are about "alignment" of the transmission shaft.

1. When I put on the clutch plate and diaphragm, I stuck the plastic
alignment tool in and then pulled it out when I was ready to put in the
transmission. What did I do by sticking that plastic tool in? I didn't
notice anything happening whatsoever. If I didn't use the alignment tool,
what would have happened? (I don't get what tool did.)

2. When I got stuck in the last inch or two on the transmission, I didn't
know why it wouldn't go that last inch. I thought of what it could be and
the most likely was that I was off center with the flywheel but it could
also have been maybe that the splines weren't lined up? If the splines
weren't lined up, would that stop the clutch from going in, or, would they
just line themselves up while I jiggled (something in that jiggling worked,
but what)?

I must repeat that neither of those two questions is critical because I'm
past that stage, but I'm curious about what exactly is aligned by the
plastic tool, and whether the splines in the end will line up on their own
with just jiggling or if the drive shaft is needed.

If the drive shaft is needed, it must only twist a teeny tiny amount,
because how much twisting could it take to align those splines (1/16th
inch?).

Pictures later.... got to get back to the job before nightfall.

Thanks for all your help, as you are helping me UNDERSTAND what I'm doing!

rbowman

Jul 26, 2018, 11:17:35 PM7/26/18
On 07/26/2018 07:51 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> 1. When I put on the clutch plate and diaphragm, I stuck the plastic
> alignment tool in and then pulled it out when I was ready to put in the
> transmission. What did I do by sticking that plastic tool in? I didn't
> notice anything happening whatsoever. If I didn't use the alignment tool,
> what would have happened? (I don't get what tool did.)

If the clutch plate was aligned with the pilot bushing when you bolted
down the pressure plate you would know what the tool was for. How would
you align it without the tool?

Arlen Holder

Jul 27, 2018, 8:13:59 PM7/27/18
On 22 Jul 2018 08:10:10 GMT, Arlen Holder wrote:

> Which is best for dropping the transmission?

SOLVED!

It's done. I am gonna take it for a smoke test.

The new tools I'm glad I obtained were the transmission jack (thank God),
and the alignment tool that came with the clutch kit, and the assortment of
extension bars, and the two M12x1.25 3-inch threaded dowels.

In the end, I removed more than is necessary, but I'm glad I did remove the
front wheels (particularly the driver side), the front sway bar, the entire
harness (every bolt and every sensor), and the cross member.

The bitch was the starter motor, both getting out and even worse getting
back in, which is the only job that really required two people. I did
everything else alone. The second hardest task was lining up the
transmission to go in because you're staring at a hunk of aluminum not
knowing why it won't move forward.

The top two 17mm bell housing bolts were not easy, but not all that
difficult with 30 inches of extensions and swivels.

Pouring the new Redline MT-90 into the conning tower turns out to be the
*easiest* way to refill a transmission, bar none.

Having four 15-inch jack stands was instrumental, as I needed at least 23
inches of clearance from the frame to get the transmission in and out.

The actual transmission work was easy, including the diaphragm, the pilot
bearing, the throwout bearing, and the fork, but I would have liked thicker
grease on the fork (but I only had Mobil 1 bearing grease).

I wrote up a detailed DIY so that others could benefit from all the work,
and I took hundreds of pictures. I don't know if I'll ever associate the
pictures with each task, but I'll try to help others.

Thanks for all your advice and help. If there is a bedding procedure, now
is the time to let me know! Pictures later.

I very much appreciate you help, because it's my first clutch job ever and
I have nobody around me who knows anything about cars - so your advice was
instrumental!

Hank Rogers

Jul 27, 2018, 8:20:47 PM7/27/18
Break it in just like you would do with new brake shoes or pads. Easy
for a while before you lean hard on it.

rbowman

Jul 27, 2018, 9:07:33 PM7/27/18
On 07/27/2018 06:13 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> The new tools I'm glad I obtained were the transmission jack (thank God),

I've done it without a jack when I was young and poor. Then I found you
could rent them from most rental places. I saw the light right after I
pulled the cast iron 4 speed primitive automatic from a '49 Chrysler. I
got it our without crushing any vital body parts but I knew it wasn't
going back in that way.

> The bitch was the starter motor, both getting out and even worse getting
> back in, which is the only job that really required two people.

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Servicegard-Starter-Wrench-JDE80.html

Yeah, I know that's for a John Deere but it was the first link with a
photo I came to. Trust me, that's not even the weirdest starter motor
wrench I've seen. I'm sure when they're bolting the assembly together on
the production line it's a piece of cake but then they grease it up and
shove it into the body.

Arlen Holder

Jul 27, 2018, 9:08:09 PM7/27/18
On 27 Jul 2018 17:20:42 GMT, Hank Rogers wrote:

> Break it in just like you would do with new brake shoes or pads. Easy
> for a while before you lean hard on it.

Thanks for that advice. I took it on a flat road and up a hill but not yet
on the highway as it's kind of far so I'll let the driver do that.

I did stall it a couple of times when I was doing a first and reverse K
turn, which is strange but that's because it used to grab almost at the top
of the clutch pedal return, and even then, it had grabbed smoothly (since
it was super worn).

Now it grabs much earlier and very firmly on the pedal uplift. Much earlier
than it did before. But that old clutch had something like 90K miles on it,
and about 10 years of driving, so a difference in feel is to be expected.

It's a self-adjusting (so to speak, but really that just means it's
hydraulic) so there's nothing to adjust but pedal play to the master
cylinder.

I'll deal with that adjustment later, as I've done it before and it's
really not a hard science it seems, as there's nothing but a bit of free
play to measure (you can't really measure it ... you just feel for it).

BTW, it's a stock 1:1 replacement for the 900 foot pound original clutch,
where the Marlin Crawler outfit sells a 1200 pound clutch that they 'say'
is better but I can't imagine what more foot pounds will do for a clutch
since the engine only develops something like 250 foot pounds (which may
not be the same type since one is angular and the other maybe not).

Anyway, everything is working - where I appreciate the help because it was
my first clutch, which took more than twice as long as I had thought it
would take and where, with your help, I did everything alone except for the
starter motor replacement - where a friend helped me.

It feels good to finally know what a pilot bearing is, and where it goes,
and how it goes in, and how it comes out. Likewise with the throwout
bearing.

I did test Clare's suggestion on the old clutch plate and diaphragm where I
can see now that gravity will pull it down off center which will then be
bolted off center if I don't use the alignment tool. With the alignment
tool, there was no alignment problem (other than having to jiggle the
bejesus out of the transmission to get the splines to line up).

Another thing Clare and others suggested was to spin the transmission
through the driveshaft, which turned out to be very easy when I tried it.

Overall, I'm glad I did it, as there are some jobs that are too big to do
at home, where lots of people consider this one of them. I feel like I
graduated, a bit, into an elite group, who has done a clutch at least once.

rbowman

Jul 27, 2018, 9:10:03 PM7/27/18
On 07/27/2018 06:20 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Break it in just like you would do with new brake shoes or pads. Easy
> for a while before you lean hard on it.

Reading between the lines he is not the principal driver. Maybe take it
for a long, gentle road trip before handing it over...

Or there is the other school of break-in -- drive it like you stole it.

Arlen Holder

Jul 27, 2018, 9:23:17 PM7/27/18
On 27 Jul 2018 18:08:20 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> I've done it without a jack when I was young and poor.

I have heard of that, and, truth be told, this transmission was light
enough for me to move around in my hands, but, I'd *never* do the job
without that transmission jack. Too much chance of getting tired and
getting hurt if it doesn't go in or out on schedule.

I admire anyone who has removed a transmission without a jack!

> Then I found you
> could rent them from most rental places. I saw the light right after I
> pulled the cast iron 4 speed primitive automatic from a '49 Chrysler. I
> got it our without crushing any vital body parts but I knew it wasn't
> going back in that way.

Cast iron. OMG. This one is aluminum, thank God. And 2WD. And I had taken
all the fluid out. So it was a light as it was going to get, and still, I
wouldn't do that job without a transmission jack.

I don't like the jack I got, but it did the job. It could adjust side to
side and up and down, but not much on the down because the handle hit the
bottom of the transmission (poor design). I had to bolt on a piece of 3/4
inch scrap to raise the transmission away from the knob.

>> The bitch was the starter motor, both getting out and even worse getting
>> back in, which is the only job that really required two people.
>
> https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Servicegard-Starter-Wrench-JDE80.html

Something like that wrench might have worked. I tried every 14mm tool in my
repertoire, and finally I got it. There's no way I was gonna get a torque
wrench on it though, so, at 30 pounds, I just guessed.

> Yeah, I know that's for a John Deere but it was the first link with a
> photo I came to. Trust me, that's not even the weirdest starter motor
> wrench I've seen. I'm sure when they're bolting the assembly together on
> the production line it's a piece of cake but then they grease it up and
> shove it into the body.

The problem was that the two bolts were blocked by almost everything no
matte rwhat direction you came at them.

If you tried from above, you could barely put a fingertip on the upper
bolt. If you tried from the wheel well, you could get only one hand. And
if you tried from below, you couldn't see what you're doing.

It was horrid.
But that part is over thank God.

Really - the hardest part, in hindsight, other than not knowing what to do,
was that starter motor. I'm glad it's over with. (It's my first starter
motor too.)

If I do it again, I'd pick up all the shapes of 14mm wrenches that God has
designed, hoping that one of them would be the perfect shape!

rbowman

Jul 27, 2018, 10:43:20 PM7/27/18
On 07/27/2018 07:23 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> Cast iron. OMG. This one is aluminum, thank God. And 2WD. And I had taken
> all the fluid out. So it was a light as it was going to get, and still, I
> wouldn't do that job without a transmission jack.

The 3 and 4 speed transmissions with aluminum housings don't weigh that
much. Particularly when you're twenty.

The Chrysler otoh was a piece of work. It was very early in the
development of automatics so it had both a clutch and a fluid coupling.

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/m6.html

The moment of truth was when I took the whole weight and realized I
might be going for a personal best bench press.

The rest of the car followed suit. It was a straight 8, cast iron block
of course. No power steering. It was pleasant on the highway but my wife
used words I didn't think she knew trying to parallel park the beast.

They don't make cars like that anymore. Thank the Gods. At about 4500
pounds 0 to 60 took a while. My '62 Continental weighed in over 5000
pounds but it had a modern 430 ci V-8 and was a supercar compared to a
flat head straight 8 that was designed in the early '30s.

Arlen Holder

Jul 28, 2018, 2:32:16 AM7/28/18
On 27 Jul 2018 19:16:22 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

>>If it's a 1:1 ratio, then it would seem only the teenies tinyies twist of
>>the driveshaft is what's needed.
>>
>>Is that assumption correct?
>
> yes

Thanks again for all your help.
I am happy to have finally, after many decades of being afraid of doing a
transmission, gotten my "boy scout badge" for doing one.

It's probably my first and last transmission ever, but I have already
forgotten about the "thousand situps" I did, in effect, by getting up and
down to get tools and parts over the past five days.

I'm told sometimes even transmission shops take as long (elapsed time) as I
did to replace a clutch, although I would think, in actual shop hours, the
job would be less than six or seven hours (I'm guessing though).

It took me longer because I documented every single step down to the detail
of the thread pitch, and I took many pictures, and I cleaned up the parts,
and I had to learn each time how to do the steps I had never done (like
aligning the transmission splines).

Most of the time the answers came too late, as I had figured them out by
then, but it's very nice to know that the solution I came up with (except
on torque) was the right one in the end.

I don't know what I'll do with that transmission jack. It will probably
take up space in my garage forever though. :)

Arlen Holder

Jul 28, 2018, 3:26:36 PM7/28/18
On 27 Jul 2018 18:10:52 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> Reading between the lines he is not the principal driver. Maybe take it
> for a long, gentle road trip before handing it over...

She drove it today on the highway and said it didn't vibrate, which is good
because I had mounted and balanced her tires and replaced her rear drums
where I made a rookie mistake by not putting the drum linkages back right.

This time, I rotated the tires again (she eats them up where I wish there
was a way to cash in on the warranty since the car is aligned
professionally and the tires are rotated five times a year in the X and
then H pattern repeatedly (X then H then X then H, etc.).

I wonder if there is a way to "prove" you rotated tires when you do them at
home? I never cashed in on a tire warranty in my life so I don't know how
it works (do you ship them back the four tires, for example?).

I learned a lot I hadn't expected to learn, by the way, such as this is
what the reverse sensor looks like apparently:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2972461reverse_switch.jpg>

And this is apparently the speedometer sensor:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8225189speedometer.jpg>

And that the clutch disc is asymmetric so it has to go in only this way:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4293915clutch_disc.jpg>

Filling the transmission with the Red Line MT-90 was a breeze from the top:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6063171trans_fliud.jpg>

But I wonder what this strange-looking "K" means on the conning tower?
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1401901tower_k.jpg>

Arlen Holder

Jul 28, 2018, 6:08:59 PM7/28/18
On 28 Jul 2018 10:18:34 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

> On a rwd car or light truck anything over 3 hours means the mechanic
> is slacking oir something went wrong.

Thanks for that information on the 3 hours as this is a RWD, and a 2WD
which has as much room as you can every have on a passenger vehicle.

So, I suspect, the job doesn't get any easier than the one I did, since
there is no 4WD to deal with and the amount of room is astronomical
compared to, oh, say, a typical sports sedan.

I didn't count the hours it took me, but if I count four hours each day of
actual work, that's 6x4=24 hours, which is, for me, acceptable because I
spent a lot of time learning, cleaning, experimenting, making tools,
modifying the jack, swearing, and cursing, and, drinking copious amounts of
lemonade kindly brought to me every few hours by the grandchildren (who
felt sorry for me but who didn't know I was in heaven as I finally, after
decades of being scared, did my first transmission).

The kid whose car it is came over today to pick it up, and she tested it on
the highway, and it worked fine she said (I only tested it locally).

It has 180K miles, where it's definitely only the second clutch as the
vehicle has been in the family since it was born. So a clutch on this
vehicle lasts about 90K miles, on average, since the last one was slipping
also when it was replaced (by a mechanic).

Total cost to me was something around $250 for tools and another $250 for
parts, so it's an approximately $500 gift to the kid who works as a
secretary so she doesn't have a lot of money.

I never could have had the confidence if I didn't know you would help, so
I'm extremely glad for your patience on my rookie questions. I didn't even
realize that the alignment tool did, for example, until *after* I had the
transmission in. And I didn't understand why people said to put it in high
gear since I didn't need to touch the gears at any point in time, so I only
figured that one out after I had trouble getting it back in.

Things like that slowed me down, where, if I had formal education in auto
mechanics, I would have known a LOT more before I did the job. As it is,
the job taxed my tools to the utmost limit, where I was so happy that I had
dozens of assorted half inch and three-eighths inch extensions and swivels
and sockets and wrenches.

In fact, I think this is the first time in my life that I *required*
half-inch tools, since up until now, the 3/8ths inch extensions didn't
twist more than the torque required. But I never had to use 30 inches of
extension before either - which is what is required for the top two bolts
on the transmission hump.

Note in the DIY: Removing the conning tower seems like it would have made a
HUGE improvement in easy of removal!

> I did a Loadstar school bus clutch with the shop foreman (an idiot
> dutchman) barking over my shoulder when I was about 19 in less than 4
> hours - and that included pulling the trans, dropping the clutch,
> installing the clutch (having the disk slip out of place and hastilly
> re-installing it) totally re-assembling then finding I had, in haste,
> installed the disk backwards - dissassembling it again. puttingthe
> disk back in the right way, knocking the release bearing off the fork,
> reinstalling it in haste, checking the clutch BEFORE reistalling the
> floor this time, and having the pedal drop to the floor because I had
> put the release bearing in backwards, dis-assembling, reinstalling the
> release bearing, retesting (got it right this time) and buttoning it
> back up.

Wow. 4 hours. Jesus. I didn't even have all the tools assembled, made and
modified in four hours!

I see you accidentally did what I did which is to knock the release bearing
(aka throwout bearing) off, where any tug on the fork caused the TOB to
fall off the splined transmission shaft until I rubber-banded it in place.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5303450clutch_fork.jpg>

I didn't remove that rubber band until I put the slave cylinder back!
(NOTE: I recently rebuilt the clutch master cylinder and clutch slave
cylinder and replaced the two rubbery plastic bushings in the shift lever,
so, except for the actual transmission itself, the entire shifting system
is all new in the last year.)

I did buy too many jacks though - as now I have an ATV jack in addition to
my transmission jack to store for the rest of my life! (I've already
offered my neighbors the right to borrow them since "they" have ATVs, but I
don't.) <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9075127atv_trans_jack.jpg>

> Nasty 400 lb? transmission, and working INSIDE the bell housing as the
> bell housing served as the rear mounting for the engine.

Yuck. You never forget those jobs!
(I envy you for all your experience!)

> I was a few minutes over flat rate time - even with all the screw-ups
> - and I gave the shop foreman a good piece of my mind when it was all
> over.

It's commendable, with the reassembly you did, that you met flat rate.

> "push me and all you'll do is slow mw down - or get run over in the
> process"

Luckily, my wife and kids left me alone, which is all well and good as they
would have been standing over me like your foreman was, just slowing me
down even further.

> Same fool who couldn't diagnose a headlight problem on a 510 Datsun -
> all 4 sealed beams were burned out. He kept asking me questions while
> I was working on another job. After his second or third question I
> knew what was wrong - but he kept asking the wrong questions for 2
> hours - while trying to tell me how to fix a dome light that would not
> shut oiff on a brand new Ambassador (found a screw through the wiring
> harness)

Wow. That's something you just have to trace to find since you wouldn't
expect a screw in a wiring harness normally. You work backward or forward,
usually backward, until the power or continuity is shot, and that tells you
where the problem is ... if ... if you can get to it. (A wiring harness can
be anywhere though.)

> When I finished the Ambassador I said "you still working on that
> datsun?"
>
> He said "you so F'n smart - YOU fix it"

Hehhehheh...

> I hollered to the parts department "2 5001s and 2 5006s please", then
> proceded to replace the sealed beams , without checking ANYTHING
> first.

Wow. You figured it out just on the problem set presented to you.

> He was MAD that I hadn't told him what was wrong - bet the silly ass
> had never asked me. He's managed to ask just about every other
> question it was possible to come up with (something like you do on
> accaision, Arlen) - but never asked me what I thought the problem was.

I do ask a lot of questions ... but ... on the good side ... you have to
admit that I think for myself (I don't think what everyone else thinks for
example, in that I think about octane, and I think about how to diagnose as
I never throw parts at a problem unless I'm backed up against the wall, and
I always look at the parts to figure out how they work and I often take
them apart for an autopsy to see how they failed.

I should note to you that I'm extremely well educated but not in this
stuff. I have multiple degrees, but in fields completely different than car
or home repair. So I'm very used to asking questions, and I'm extremely
used to what people "think" is the answer intuitively, often (and sometimes
almost always, at least in the case of quantum mechanics) is dead wrong.

So, for example, people "think" you can't balance tires at home ... but you
can. And they think you can't mount them at home - but you can. And they
think you can't measure alignment at home, but you can (I still need to
prove that though).

Another thing about me, Clare, that is extremely different than most
people, is that I CARE about being a good Usenet citizen, even as I value
my privacy. So I always *respond* to most people in any thread I author,
which some people consider trolling, which is ridiculous since I'm simply
being responsive.

I almost always prove what I say I'm doing with photos.
And I almost always write up a DIY to give back to the team.

I almost always summarize the results in the end, and I thank the people
for helping me (where, I often condemn those who don't like the few who
posted early on in this thread, such as Wade Garrett who has been stalking
me from the iOS threads) but in this case, I had too much on my hands to
even bother to tell those useless posters to shut up.

I'm DIFFERENT than almost everyone you've ever met.

How many, for example, write a detailed DIY every time they do a big job?

Other than my privacy fetish (which drives some of you nuts I think even
though I never hide who I am so anyone who claims to figure it out isn't
the genius they think they are simply because it's trivial to do), I'm one
of the best Usenet posters there is because I ask a question and prove
everything I say, and try out every reasonable suggestion (if possible) and
I respond to everyone in the same manner in which they responded to me.

I'm only on Usenet to ask questions and to learn from people who have the
answers. I'm not here for idle chitchat, so I disappear until I have
another question.

I love to learn from you, and I will eventually do the six jobs few do at
home but you've done most of them.
1. Refuel a vehicle (I do it every week where I have it down to a science)
2. Mount, balance, & repair tires (I'm well past the tool break-even point)
3. Major transmission work (a clutch counts since R&R is the hard part)
4. Major internal engine work (I've never ripped an engine apart yet)
5. Paint a car (a grandchild has a handmedown I'd love to paint for her)
6. Align caster, camber & toe (this will be my next project for sure)

I think each of those things above has a DIFFERENT reason people don't do
them, where you have to admit at the very least, even if you disagree with
me, that I think for myself, so I don't follow what most people assume (and
which in some cases I've found to be dead wrong).

For example, refueling a vehicle is trivial, safe, and easy, and I've been
doing that for a decade or more at home (where if I ever get some money,
I'll buy even better gas-station equipment, which is surprisingly
inexpensive but where the limiting factor isn't the equipment but that they
don't deliver less than 200 gallons at a time in general).

Also, despite what most people think, and yes, I know you have TONS of
experience mounting and dynamically balancing a tire and you wouldn't do it
at home, I can mount and balance a sedan tire in fifteen minutes (and you
know that I don't make shit up), where in general, I take longer (because
I'm not in a rush) but it's never longer than a half hour elapsed time
where once you taught me about the "drop center", all was golden from there
(after I had to modify both the tire bead breaker and the tire mounting
tool).

I think the reason people DON'T do these 6 things is... sort of...
1. Fueling --- they don't have the room (I have more than a dozen acres)
2. Mounting --- they "think" it has to be dynamically balanced
3. Transmission --- it's a *lot* of work (whew!) but mostly just bolts
4. Engine --- it's even *more* work (where nobody can afford the downtime)
5. Paint --- you need skills and experience more than the tools
6. Align --- they don't realize how easy toe & camber are to measure

I may be wrong on all of that, because I don't know how people really
think, but you have to admit at least that I think for myself.

Take, for example, the mounting. I already know that mounting is *easy* on
passenger cars, and that it's only a bit harder on truck (SUV) tires.
Anyone who says it's not easy, or that you'll damage the rims (my Bimmer
rims are as soft as most alloy wheels and they're just fine) is talking out
of their ass - because I know - like you know - because I've done it about
25 times now (the tools paid for themselves in about 20 changes).

Anyone who thinks you can't patch plug from the inside doesn't know what
they're talking about. And anyone who thinks you must dynamically balance
every tire doesn't know what they're talking about (IMHO).

I had only one wobble in all this time, and that was due to doing the rear
brake drum wrong (it was a rookie mistake - where I've had disc brakes on
all my high end cars since the 80s until now that I do other people's cars
to help them out. (I know you think that's a lawsuit waiting to happen, but
I do the same on their cars as I would mine where I *know* (as you do) how
many times mechanics skip steps.)

So, yes, I'm different.
I'm intelligent.
I can learn.
I care about my privacy.
I respond to almost everyone worth responding to.
I usually confront the cowardly troll bullies in the threads I author
I ask a question and work it until it's resolved
I post a resolution and almost always write a DIY
And then I disappear (until the next question).

The morons call that being a troll.
I call it being a good Usenet citizen who cares about privacy and doesn't
use the chitchat model (where in the chitchat model people post 99% to
other threads saying almost nothing of value and only 1% to their own
threads, where in the Q&A model, the opposite it true in every way).

> Clean it up, paint it gold, and keep it as a trophy - - - -

I have tools from the 60s, and even some from the 40's, like this grease
gun, where the grease must be thirty years or forty years old inside! :)
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7261355grease_gun.jpg>

QUESTION: That was my dad's grease gun. How old do you think it is?
(I don't know when he bought it as I inherited all his old tools.)

And these impact tools date to the mid 80's as I recall:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6129026airgun_sucks.jpg>

This Craftsman respirator I used when I was blowing out the bell housing
and flywheel dust dates to the 80s for sure when I first attempted
to paint a car (but ended up selling the car in the winter where if you've
never lived in a cold climate - you have no idea how much harder everything
is in the winter and when it rains a lot).
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7615636respirator.jpg>

And without a cutting wheel and bench grinder, fabricating these two
invaluable threaded dowels would not have been as easy as they were:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9848347dowel_fab.jpg>

My next two jobs that you'll hear from me are:
a. I want to paint a car, and,
b. I want to align a suspension.

I think both of those two are doable, but I will do my research first and
then, when I'm in the job itself, I may ask you for help to get past the
stumbling blocks.

I don't expect a miracle with the paint job, but anything will look better
than the handmedown paint that the kid has on the car now so I can't make
it much worse. :)

As for the alignment, this vehicle only has camber and toe in the front
that can be changed by twisting a bolt, so that's easy if I buy (or make)
toe plates. The measuring is easy but changing the toe with the weight on
the vehicle is a pain because of the rolling back and forth so I'll likely
just buy toe plates first. Also alignment is a mental bitch because
everything is in the wrong units. You measure inches, for example, but it's
usually in degrees to centerline. WTF. That causes your brain to hurt as
you use trig to figure out the translation.

At least camber is in degrees and you can measure degrees with today's
tools, so, the problem with camber is only getting a jig that works on
multiple vehicles since you have to offset the measuring tool parallel to
the wheel but away from the tire sidewall bulge (sure, there are ways to do
it with a plumb bob but I'd just go for the camber jig for ease of use).

Caster is usually too hard to measure directly, and for this car, it's not
settable anyway. You can calculate it, but what good is the calculation
when you can't set it.

In the rear, this vehicle only has camber and nothing else. So, when most
people think "alignment" they're thinking a $100K machine which is
optimized for a totally different use model than a guy checking his
alignment at home where time and the ability to measure everything isn't
the issue.

All you need is camber and toe for the most part, which means you need a
camber jig and toe plates and as accurate an electronic level as you an
afford.

Anyway, I'm DIFFERENT (which means we are different).
You don't enjoy changing tires, I do.
You think it's dangerous to not go to a mechanic, I think they skip steps.
You may think I'm a troll but I'm not and I am DOING stuff when I ask
things (I don't ask idly).

I should mention the only auto mechanics class I took was in high school in
the sixties, where I was a star pupil and the teacher's pet simply because
he never had anyone in his class so interested in the details. He once was
amazed that I rewound a motorcycle alternator and horn solenoid in the same
week, and that I kept asking questions about fluids, asking why the
viscosity didn't really matter but the API number did, or what really
needed distilled water (the battery) but not the coolant (in reality, once
you look at water chemistry where we lived). I took sulfuric acid from the
chem lab in high school (in those days, you didn't get expelled for
breaking the rules) and refilled my own battery - it lasted about a month
or two, as I recall).

I'm DIFFERENT than most people you've met - so I'm an acquired taste.

What I ask for, in this newsgroup, is the expertise of all the people here,
most of which outweighs mine because I'm educated in totally different
things.

HINT: Ask me about bacteria or electrical engineering and you'll get far
more than you bargained for. :)

Hank Rogers

Jul 28, 2018, 7:09:00 PM7/28/18
You should record all this long saga to a dvd, and give it to your great
grandchildren.

They will sit around campfires in 2060 and show the videos while
roasting marshmallows.

Maybe in 2160, they will still recollect old gram pa's heroic efforts in
the olden days.

Maybe a statue in the town square.

Hank Rogers

Jul 28, 2018, 7:23:09 PM7/28/18

> HINT: Ask me about bacteria or electrical engineering and you'll get far
> more than you bargained for. :)

They are widely different field, but I am interested in both, for two
different reasons.

Do tell please. I welcome your expertise.

Arlen Holder

Jul 28, 2018, 10:01:36 PM7/28/18
On 28 Jul 2018 16:23:08 GMT, Hank Rogers wrote:

> They are widely different field, but I am interested in both, for two
> different reasons.
>
> Do tell please. I welcome your expertise.

You have to ask a question, silly!

I can't just spill my guts about both.

All I can say is I have higher degrees in both.

My point was I know nothing whatsoever about auto mechanics, so that's why
I very much appreciate your advice and help.

Here is the nascent (UNFINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!) WIP tutorial for replacing a
clutch on this specific vehicle.

Bear in mind that I have NOT yet added all the pictures, and I haven't
added umpteen notes that I added to this tutorial while I was doing the
work.

This is the UNFINISHED!!!!!! tutorial BEFORE I did the job, based on my
searches in the net, where I never found a single usable step-by-step
tutorial for this particular make and model vehicle.

Buy parts:
. Aisen/Koyo clutch kit (Rockauto part number CKT-051
- Aisin disc stamped DTX-137L & 6H26
- Aisin diaphragm stamped Aisin 17.01.20 & CTX-106
- Koyo pilot bearing molded 6201 RS ROM 017 & Koyo 6201 RS ROM 057
- Koyo pilot bearing box printed 6201RSC3 & PBT-002
- Koyo release stamped Koyo Japan 49H & RCT356SA9 (aka throwout bearing)
- Koyo release bearing box printed RBT-004 & RCT356SA9 & FG Gen M1412
- Plastic alignment tool stamped USA 11 (this simple tool is critical!)
. Note that some people use an old transmission shaft as the alignment tool
. Rear engine oil seal Toyota Part No.: 90311-88003 (confirmed) $47.59
. Rear transmission oil seal 90311-30014 (confirmed) $15.41

Consider buying optional parts:
. Consider new sway bar bushings (since you will likely remove it anyway)
. Consider a new fuel filter
. Consider both upstream & downstream oxygen sensors (especially upstream)
. Consider starter motor replacement (since you don't want to do it again!)
. Consider rotating tires (since you have the vehicle in the air anyway)
. Consider replacing differential gear lube (since you're in that area)

Buy fluids:
. 2.7 quarts replacement Red Line Mt-90 75W90 GL4 gear lube
. Thick high-moly graphite grease to lube the spline input shaft
. Thick high-moly graphite grease to lube the ID of throwout bearing
. Locktite blue (not red!) for the bellhousing & flywheel & starter bolts
. Toyota FIPG (for the rear engine oil seal, but only if you remove the
plate)
. No grease on diaphragm springs, pressure plate or throwout bearing face.
. Light grease on throwout bearing ID, input shaft splines
. Light grease on clutch fork pivot points & outside the shaft collar

Buy (or fabricate tools):
. Transmission jack
. Half-inch socket torque wrenches (from 30 foot pounds up to 85 foot
pounds)
. Pilot bearing puller (although every one I tested was too large to fit!)
. You must have 14mm 12-point half-inch sockets! (6 points will never fit!)
. You must have 30 inches of 1/2-inch socket extension bars & swivels!
. It helps to have the same 30 inches in 3/8ths-inch (for non-torque use)
. Ersatz 17mm alignment pins, quantity=2 (M12x1.25 by about 3 inches long)

Torque specs:
. 14 foot pounds, pressure plate to engine
. 18 foot pounds, transmission rubber rear mount bolts
. (19 ft lbs+1/4 turn for 3RZ or 65ftlbs for the 2RZ & 5VZ), flywheel
. 30 foot pounds, starter bolts
. 48 foot pounds, transmission crossmember-to-frame bolts
. 54 foot pounds, bellhousing 17mm bolts
. No loctite needed on any of these bolts is what is recommended by most

Photograph all components in situ:
. Snap pictures of the cabin shift lever assembly before removal
. Snap pictures of the wiring harness before removal
. Snap pictures of the exhaust bracket location before removal
. Snap pictures of the reverse sensor, speed sensor, & lambda sensors
. Snap pictures of the driveshaft (and mark the shaft to differential)
. Snap pictures of the transmission from all sides
. Snap pictures of the starter motor from all sides
. Snap pictures of the sway bar
. Snap pictures of all the bell housing bolts

While the vehicle is still on the ground:
. Disconnect the battery negative cable (10mm socket)
(This is needed because you will be removing the starter motor)

Remove shift lever from transmission conning tower:
. The shift lever can be in any position, where neutral is fine
. From the passenger side cabin, unscrew the shifter knob
(counterclockwise)
. There is no need to loosen or remove either side brown plastic garnish
. Don't remove the brown plastic garnish on either side - just leave it
. Pry up the front of the black ashtray (it has a clip on each of the 4
corners)
. Pull out on the driver side garnish
. At the same time, pry up on the ashtray toward driver side door
. That should remove the black ashtray from all four corner clips
. With a P2 Phillips or 10mm socket, remove 4 rectangular-plate screws
. Pull up on the boot until it stops about halfway up on the shaft
. Don gloves & use a 1/8" flathead scewdriver for force
. Press down hard on the inner ring of the shiftlever cap
. Use the screwdriver as a pushrod & rotate the cap 1/8 turn
counterclockwise
. This will pop it out
. Remove the cabin gear shift mechanism
. While above, snap pictures of the pitch-fork-shaped wiring harness:
. http://www.showstop.org/images/misc/r150F-harness.jpg
. If possible, unbolt the "conning tower" for the shift mechanism
(this is optional but will be extremely helpful later on)

Lift vehicle:
. Chock rear wheels & set parking brake
. Place two jackstands as far forward as you dare (under the A frame is
good)
. Place two jackstands on the rear axle
. Jack the car as high as you dare, since you'll need about two feet
. The bellhousing alone is about 22 inches off the ground on the stand
. 24 inches to the horizontal portion of the front frame wouldn't be too
much
. Attempt to level the vehicle so the engine is level with the trans
. While below, snap more pictures of the pitch-fork-shaped wiring harness
. Notice the passenger side oxygen sensors before & after the cat
. Notice the passenger side speedometer sensor
. Notice the driver side reverse sensor
. Notice the three main harness clips on the top of the transmission
. Notice the dastardly location of the driver side starter motor

Remove front wheels:
. Remove the front driver-side wheel (mandatory)
. Pull back both access hole flaps so that you can access the starter motor
. Optionally remove the passenger-side front wheel
. You don't need to remove the rear wheels unless you'll be rotating them

Remove front sway bar:
. Optionally remove the 6 bolts on the front sway bar
. Remove the front sway bar

Drain fluid:
. Loosen both the 24mm fill plug & 24mm drain plug
. Drain the existing old Red Line MT-90 80W90 using the 24mm drain plug
. Take care to fish out the aluminum washer if it doesn't stay on the plug

Remove slave cylinder:
. Remove 2x12mm bolts for the clutch slave cylinder
. Hang clutch slave cylinder safely on hangar wire if necessary
. Optionally, rubber band the clutch fork in the forward position
(this is so that the throwout bearing doesn't slide off the splines)

Disconnect exhaust pipe bracket:
. Don't disconnect the exhaust pipe (leave the pipe exactly where it is)
. Remove two 17mm bolts holding exhaust pipe bracket to transmission
housing
. Remove the 12mm bolts holding exhaust pipe into the bracket
. (You MUST remove the bracket as it will prevent transmission removal!)

Remove passenger side wiring harness connections:
. Remove 1x12mm bolt holding the upstream O2 sensor bracket
. Remove 1x12mm bolt holding the speedometer in place
. Put a pan under the speedometer to catch inevitable drippings
. Wiggle & pull out the three-screw plastic speedometer sensor
. (Note that it's easier to unbolt sensors first & then unclip them)

Remove driver side wiring harness connections:
. Remove 1x12mm bolt holding harness next to the fill plug
. Loosen (do not remove) 1x1-1/16 bolt holding reverse sensor
. It's impossible to twist off the reverse sensor so don't try!
. Twist reverse sensor 180 degrees to access clip connection
. Press the clip connection to disconnect the harness from the sensor

Remove the 3 main harness connectors on top of the transmission:
. (Access all three from the driver side using socket extensions)
. Remove the 14mm harness bracket bolt at the bell-to-engine line
. Remove the 10mm harness bracket bolt at the bell-waist line
. Remove the 14mm harness bracket bolt at the trans centerline
. From below, fish the loose harness into the shift lever opening
. From above, wire hanger the harness to the steering wheel

Remove driveshaft:
. Mark the alignment on both ends of the driveshaft
. Remove the four rear-facing drive shaft 14mm bolts
. Temporarily release the parking brake if necessary
. Twist the drive shaft with the parking brake off to access the bolts
. Pull the back end down & pull driveshaft out of the transmission
. You may need the driveshaft to align the transmission splines later on
. Reset the parking brake

Remove the starter housing bolts:
. Remove the lower 14mm bolt holding the brake line & a harness connector
. Remove the upper 14mm bolt holding the top of the starter to the
bellhousing
. You can't easily access the bolts so try from below, above, & from the
side
. It's MUCH easier if you remove *all* bellhousing harness connectors!
. Allow the entire harness to fall straight down at the bellhousing
. Or tuck the harness into the driver side wheel well
. The starter motor will fall down of its own weight so tie it securely
. (It can't be overly stressed to remove all harness connections first!)

.... work in progress ... I need to add a LOT to the rest of this DIY ...

Remove the bellhousing bolts (count all seven!, plus 2 for the starter):
. Start with bottom bolts before you place the transmission jack in the way
. Then do the upper bolts, once the transmission jack is in place.
. 1st remove the forward facing 14mm bolt & nut at the 5:30 bell housing
position
. 2nd remove the forward facing 14mm bolt & nut at the 7:00 bell housing
position
. 3rd remove the rearward facing 14mm bolt at the 6:30 bell housing
position
. 4th remove the rearward facing 14mm bolt at the 3:30 bell housing
position
. Then remove the engine-facing plate covering the lower half of the bell
housing
. 5th (just in case) remove the forward facing 12mm bolt at the 11:00 bell
housing position
. This bolt holds some sort of cooling or vacuum lines the back of the
engine
. 6th remove the forward facing 17mm bolt at the 9:30 bell housing position
. Access that bolt from underneath using a sockt + short swivel + 3"
extension
. 7th remove the forward facing 17mm bolt at the 11:30 bell housing
position
. Access that bolt from the rear of the transmission behind the crossmember
. I used about 30 inches of 1/2-inch socket extensions (no swivel needed)
. 8th remove the forward facing 17mm bolt at the 12:30 bell housing
position
. I used about 30 inches of 1/2-inch socket extensions (a swivel was
needed)
. I used about 30 inches of 1/2-inch socket extensions (a swivel was
needed)
. I used a 17mm impact socket + 5" swivel + 10" + 6" + 10" + 3" half-inch
extensions
. I first tried 3/8" extensions but they simply twisted given the force
. It's still useful to have 3/8" extensions for non-torque removal &
reassembly
. I used a 17mm socket + 6" swivel + 24" + 6" three-eights-inch extensions

Check that everything is out of the way:
. Zip tie any cables in place so that they don't get damaged later
. Then support the transmission with a transmission jack or jack saddle
. It is said that the rear will be slightly lower than the front for the
jack
. Strap the transmission in but rout the straps under any wires

Disconnect the rear of the transmission:
. Remove the 12mm & 14mm bolts holding the rear transmission mount assembly
. Tip the front down an twist the front of the transmission to the driver
side
. Pull out straight where the shaft must be aligned & the dowels stick
sometimes
. Keep the straps loose until you pull away & then tighten the straps
. Lower the transmission (by hand is ok if you can)
. Mark the drive shaft to the crank shaft alignment with a sharpie
. Flywheel bolts will require an impact driver almost certainly.

Disassembly:
. Don't breathe the dust (use a respirator if necessary)
. Use a star pattern to remove 12mm bolts holding clutch onto bell housing
. Snap pictures of the asymmetrical nature of the clutch disc before
removing!
. Note the asymetric springs as they stick out of the clutch disc!
. (The Toyota 2.7L I4 engine has the disc springs toward the pressure
plate)
. (The Toyota 3.4L V6 engine has the disc springs toward the flywheel)
. Remove the clutch disc
. Remove the pressure plate
. Remove the ten (12-point) 14mm bolts ringing the flywheel to the engine
. Have the flywheel replaced or resurfaced
. Remove the flywheel pilot bearing with a bearing puller

Alignment pins:
. Consider picking up exact bolts but 2 to 3 inches longer
. Cut off the heads, & saw a screwdriver channel
. Use them as alignment pins when replacing
. Notice the steel dowels between the engine & transmission

On reassembly (which most DIYs ignore), these topics came up in other DIYs:
. A screwdriver wedged into the flywheel teeth immobilizes it for
tightening
. It is said that so does a punch through one of the flywheel holes
. Consider the wiring harness layout while lifting the transmission back
. Be in 5th gear when aligning splines (allows output & input shaft to
turn)
. Input shaft alignment stage 1 is getting splines to go into the clutch
disc.
(Time 142 seconds on [URL="https://youtu.be/9UmrCl2nLKM?t=142"]
shows the alignment problem.)
. Input shaft alignment stage 2 is the last inch onto the input shaft
bearing
. Jack fine tuning matters last inch (use bellhousing bolts as alignment
pins)
. It is said to grease the top & inside of the clutch fork ends
. Grease the [URL="https://youtu.be/S5xSOy03NAg?t=155"]adjoining
surfaces[/URL]
of the "throwout bearing" (also sometimes called the "release bearing").
. Grease the divot in the middle of the clutch fork
. Just before you install the clutch slave cylinder (aka "release
cylinder"),
grease the divot at the end fork
. Cover the clutch fork mushroom bolt with HD grease

As a learning process, when you have the trans out, select low gear,
turn the output shaft & discover why top gear is the choice when
reasembling.

DIY 5VZ
http://www.ttora.com/forum/2-early-tacoma-tech/149715-5vz-clutch-job.html
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/maintenance/clutch/
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/215257-clutch-replacement-writeup.html
.
3RZFE:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/248267-clutch-replacement-double-check-advice.html

Arlen Holder

Jul 28, 2018, 11:02:00 PM7/28/18
On 28 Jul 2018 16:08:57 GMT, Hank Rogers wrote:

> You should record all this long saga to a dvd, and give it to your great
> grandchildren.

What I really love to do, for posterity, is write tutorials.
I just posted the nascent tutorial to one of your other posts.
Take a look at it, and note two things:
a. I don't skip a single step (not a single bolt)
b. I have pictures of everything

What I'd *love* to do is rip apart an old car and write the "hanes" manual
where I'd do so much better than does Chilton or the FSM that it wouldn't
be funny.

Of course, my method works for a "specific" car, so that would be my angle.
A specific model, year, and engine and transmission.

Do you think there would be a market for such a car-specific (completely
unlike Hanes/Chilton/FSM) perfect no-step-missed DIY as I write?

Arlen Holder

Jul 29, 2018, 12:11:10 AM7/29/18
On 28 Jul 2018 20:27:03 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

> It lets you know if something is bent - and if it is you'll be
> chasing your tail for a LONG time trying to find out why the car won't
> run straight hands off - - - -

I completely understand.
The "assumption" is that it's like a doctor's physical, of sorts.

It's more preventative medicine than corrective in that if your car has
been in an accident, that's out of the scope of what I'm going to
implement.

The assumption is the car has not been in an accident and it has been fully
"aligned" at some point in the reasonable past where the history is known
to you.

Under those circumstances, checking the things you can adjust is what I'm
speaking about.

It's a philosophical thing, where if you have money to waste, go have a
blast getting an alignment every month. But if you want to be pragmatic,
then ensure the car is aligned properly, and then periodically check the
caster, camber and toe, oh, say, every month or three.

It's a probability thing.
Can the entropy be such that the entire frame will suddenly bend on you?
Yup. There's a one in a trillion trillion trillion chance that this will
happen. (this is how entropy works, by the way)

But we're talking normal probabilities here.
Not accidents.

It's a *big* distinction.

Vic Smith

Jul 29, 2018, 1:04:54 AM7/29/18
Nah, no market for it. The manufacturer has shop manuals for sale.
I've had them for my last 4 cars. They can be costly, but I've managed to buy used ones on
Ebay. I think the most expensive was about 45 bucks, but my cars were 10 years old when I
bought them.
But they can lead you down the wrong road. For instance, the procedure to replace the
motor mounts on my '97 Lumina looked way too complicated and costly.
I found a simple procedure on Youtube, and did it that way.

rbowman

Jul 29, 2018, 2:09:14 AM7/29/18
On 07/28/2018 04:08 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> I didn't count the hours it took me, but if I count four hours each day of
> actual work, that's 6x4=24 hours, which is, for me, acceptable because I
> spent a lot of time learning, cleaning, experimenting, making tools,
> modifying the jack, swearing, and cursing, and, drinking copious amounts of
> lemonade kindly brought to me every few hours by the grandchildren (who
> felt sorry for me but who didn't know I was in heaven as I finally, after
> decades of being scared, did my first transmission).

You didn't even get the requisite trip back to the parts store to get
the right clutch and pressure plate. Ford was creative that year and you
were never sure what you were going to find. Buy something and
inevitably it was the wrong one.

I did manage to catch the carb rebuild kit before I got out the door at
the parts store. I glanced at the box and it said Rochester. U-turn and
a pointed question to the clerk "Are you sure about this, Sparky?" Even
Ford wasn't that eclectic.

rbowman

Jul 29, 2018, 2:18:04 AM7/29/18
On 07/28/2018 08:01 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> All I can say is I have higher degrees in both.
>
> My point was I know nothing whatsoever about auto mechanics, so that's why
> I very much appreciate your advice and help.

At least you know your limits. I had a friend who ultimately got a PhD
in EE who was a danger under a car. We were working on his Buick and had
dropped the pan on the transmission. We left the pan in place to catch
any little drips. He was taking the screws out that held the valve body
when I realized he'd removed the last one. Fortunately th body hung just
long enough for me to get out from under the car before the tsunami hit.

Come to think of it, he wasn't too good at practical electrical stuff
either. I'm sure he could do a circuit analysis of the momentary current
flow when you short out a fully charged 12 volt wet cell with a length
of 14 gauge wire. My informal analysis was it gets real hot and it
smells bad when the insulation catches on fire.

rbowman

Jul 29, 2018, 2:46:02 AM7/29/18
On 07/28/2018 09:01 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> Do you think there would be a market for such a car-specific (completely
> unlike Hanes/Chilton/FSM) perfect no-step-missed DIY as I write?

The problem is addressed on some forums. With digital cameras and the
ease of putting stuff on line quite a few people have done step by step
logs. Unfortunately they're model specific. The Toyota forum has saved
me a lot of pain. I've got the manual but I'm sure the replace the radio
page starts with 'remove dash trim'. Yeah, right. You start down at the
transmission hump with a plastic putty knife popping off little plastic
bits until you work your way up to the speedometer housing.

Bikes are getting just as bad. I had a driveway full of plastic pieces,
a gas tank, and other odd and ends before I could get to the regulator
to unplug the stator to replace it.

Some days I dream of finding a 1965 VW in good shape.

rbowman

Jul 29, 2018, 2:49:30 AM7/29/18
On 07/28/2018 11:04 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
> Nah, no market for it. The manufacturer has shop manuals for sale.
> I've had them for my last 4 cars. They can be costly, but I've managed to buy used ones on
> Ebay. I think the most expensive was about 45 bucks, but my cars were 10 years old when I
> bought them.
> But they can lead you down the wrong road. For instance, the procedure to replace the
> motor mounts on my '97 Lumina looked way too complicated and costly.
> I found a simple procedure on Youtube, and did it that way.

Yup. I've got the shop manuals for everything but the pickup. Some parts
are good, some not so good. Then there are the five pages of specialized
tools that you absolutely need which somehow I've never needed.

Xeno

Jul 29, 2018, 3:47:03 AM7/29/18
I would consider that dream a nightmare.

--

Xeno

"The best way to make a fire with two sticks is to make sure one of them
is a match."
-- Will Rogers

Arlen Holder

Jul 29, 2018, 4:33:14 AM7/29/18
On 28 Jul 2018 23:46:49 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> Unfortunately they're model specific.

There is no perfect situation.

Either it's a Hanes or Chilton which covers too many models, or, it's the
FSM which covers your model, but the factory re-used the diagrams from
previous models so a good proportion are wrong.

The manual I'd write is EXACT since I would have done EVERY STEP, so it
would be model specific for sure.

It would only pay, I think, for cars that I can get a junker for cheap, to
tear apart, and it would have to be a "common" enough car to have a market.

The actual work would be easy, I think.
1. Buy a complete car (it doesn't have to run even, but better if it does)
2. Tear it apart, piece by piece, putting each piece back since my DIYS
cover reassembly where it's almost never the reverse of removal.
3. Sell the book.

I think it "could" have a market, simply because it would be unique, as
nobody does the detail that I do ()and I've had shop manuals since the dawn
of my driving days).

I don't have Mitchells though, or AllData, so I don't know how good (or
bad) they are. Clare might know more.

Arlen Holder

Jul 29, 2018, 4:33:15 AM7/29/18
On 28 Jul 2018 23:50:18 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> Yup. I've got the shop manuals for everything but the pickup. Some parts
> are good, some not so good. Then there are the five pages of specialized
> tools that you absolutely need which somehow I've never needed.

Hehheh ... that's a good point. The Bentleys are filled with that crap.

Arlen Holder

Jul 29, 2018, 4:33:16 AM7/29/18
On 28 Jul 2018 22:04:46 GMT, Vic Smith wrote:

> Nah, no market for it. The manufacturer has shop manuals for sale.
> I've had them for my last 4 cars. They can be costly, but I've managed to buy used ones on
> Ebay. I think the most expensive was about 45 bucks, but my cars were 10 years old when I
> bought them.
> But they can lead you down the wrong road. For instance, the procedure to replace the
> motor mounts on my '97 Lumina looked way too complicated and costly.
> I found a simple procedure on Youtube, and did it that way.

Agreed. I have the Toyota FSM and Hanes somewhere. They suck.
My Q45 came with an FSM in the trunk, if you can believe that.
I get them for my bikes. I have the Bentleys for my Bimmer.

They all suck.

Yet, they each suck for different reasons.
None ever are as good as my DIYs. Never. Not even close.

You know why they all suck so I won't belabor the issue.
Suffice to say they're better than nothing - but not much better.

Arlen Holder

Jul 29, 2018, 4:33:19 AM7/29/18
On 28 Jul 2018 23:10:01 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> You didn't even get the requisite trip back to the parts store to get
> the right clutch and pressure plate. Ford was creative that year and you
> were never sure what you were going to find. Buy something and
> inevitably it was the wrong one.

Once, decades ago, I was doing the pitman arm, idler arm, and tie rod ends
for a Dodge Dart of the 70's vintage, where, it was winter so I had to ride
my motorcycle in the snow to get the parts, and, they gave me the wrong
tie-rod ends.

I had to go back, in the snow, cursing them, and they didn't give a shit.
They just handed me the right part and that was it for them. It's no skin
off their back. But it's a lot of effort on your part.

I learned to bring in the old parts, which is how I knew all the pilot
bearing tools would never work, because I brought the new pilot bearing
with me this week. I even brought the old flywheel to match with the new
one.

Short side note related to alignment... when I did the idler, pitman, and
tie rod ends, I marked everything, as you can tell I am wont to do. Then I
tried an alignment, but only did the toe (which was easy, of course).

Then I paid Sears to do the alignment, and when I got home, I looked and
not a bolt was touched. I took it back to Sears and they tested it and
found out the guy didn't even do it. He said his charts only went back 10
years and so he didn't have the numbers. And yet they charged me. I as
livid, but in those days, I didn't scream bloody further. Nowadays I'd have
told them to give it to me for free or I would go to the prosecutor (or at
least the home office).

Can you believe that they just didn't do it, and didn't give a shit?

Mechanics, for the most part, I'm sure, are honest, but don't even get me
started about the shysters at AAMCO and MIDAS. The point is that I learned
that you can't trust any of them, unless they're related to you. I'm sure
most are good - but plenty are bad (I have too much experience with MIDAS
where I provided evidence which, (I'm sure with other data) got them kicked
out of the TireRack recommended tire program, since I provided firm proof
of what they were doing).

Again, don't even get me started on AAMCO. We old men have too many stories
of how we were screwed when we were young and innocent.

I taught my kids that very many are crooks (AAMCO is the worst, IMHO).
Sigh.

Arlen Holder

Jul 29, 2018, 4:33:20 AM7/29/18
On 28 Jul 2018 23:18:52 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> At least you know your limits. I had a friend who ultimately got a PhD
> in EE who was a danger under a car.

Dunning-Kruger plays a role, where, it's not about being dumb but about
self assessment of skills. In general, the less someone knows, the more
they think they know, and vice versa, the more someone knows, the more they
realize that they don't know a lot of things.

Quantum mechanics still drives me nuts because nothing in it is intuitive,
which is another point -- which is that anyone who thinks they're intuitive
- is wrong. :)

> We were working on his Buick and had
> dropped the pan on the transmission. We left the pan in place to catch
> any little drips. He was taking the screws out that held the valve body
> when I realized he'd removed the last one. Fortunately th body hung just
> long enough for me to get out from under the car before the tsunami hit.

Yaeah. We've all done "dumb things". I once grabbed a rope tied around a
tree that I had placed there months ago, so that I could drop down a short
ten foot cliff.... guess what? I never tied it to the tree, and I forgot
that I didn't, and I only remembered on my way down.

Staring up, on my back, luckily mostly unhurt, I just said to myself...
"that was dumb".

How many times have we looked at electronics momentarily after forgetting
to turn it on ... thinking it's broken.

> Come to think of it, he wasn't too good at practical electrical stuff
> either.

There are LOTS of "electrical" stuff, but what they don't generally teach
us in school is "house wiring" nor "power distribution" except in the
broadest sense.

They really don't even cover ground all that well in circuits, so it's
funny that an op amp has 3 connections, but once a professor drew in the
other two, and half the class asked what the other two connections were.
The rest of us just laughed thinking "Jesus ... they can spout Maxwell's
Equation, but they don't know what ground is?)

> I'm sure he could do a circuit analysis of the momentary current
> flow when you short out a fully charged 12 volt wet cell with a length
> of 14 gauge wire. My informal analysis was it gets real hot and it
> smells bad when the insulation catches on fire.

That's another thing. We had labs, and in the labs we used caps, of course,
but they never teach you PRACTICAL stuff, like the difference between
tantalum and electrolytic, and pancake caps, and what happens if you stick
a 10VDC electrolytic water tower into the electrical socket (that's fun if
you haven't tried it).

None of that is covered. All caps are the same in EE classes. It's amazing
that this is what they teach - but that's how they teach it. It's all
theory. Of course, you have to calculate poles and zeroes and be able to
handle polar diagrams and do all the math for the systems class, but
nothing PRACTICAL is covered (except by accident in the labs).

Vic Smith

Jul 29, 2018, 11:02:05 AM7/29/18
On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 08:33:18 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder <arlen...@nospam.net> wrote:

>Then I paid Sears to do the alignment, and when I got home, I looked and
>not a bolt was touched. I took it back to Sears and they tested it and
>found out the guy didn't even do it. He said his charts only went back 10
>years and so he didn't have the numbers. And yet they charged me. I as
>livid, but in those days, I didn't scream bloody further. Nowadays I'd have
>told them to give it to me for free or I would go to the prosecutor (or at
>least the home office).

Same thing happened to me at a Firestone shop. I bought a '66 F100 and it was pulling a
little to the left. I dropped it off for new front tires and an alignment. When I picked
it up from their parking lot, first thing I did was crawl under it. Same grunge on the tie
rod ends. Went back in and asked the desk guy why they didn't do the alignment.
He shouted to the mech and the mech shouted back. "We can't do twin I-beam."
I had him refund the charge. Pretty close to your experience.

>Can you believe that they just didn't do it, and didn't give a shit?

Sure can.

snip

>Again, don't even get me started on AAMCO. We old men have too many stories
>of how we were screwed when we were young and innocent.

I heard the stories, so did some looking around when the trans went out on my '67 Skylark.
AAMCO wanted $700 - hell, I only paid $475 for the car.
Went to the used car dealer I bought it from and he told me what trans shop he used.
They rebuilt the trans for $125.

>I taught my kids that very many are crooks (AAMCO is the worst, IMHO).
>Sigh.

Just avoid the franchise operations. Still have to deal with finding a competent mechanic,
but when you do, you're set. Until they retire or die on you.

Scott Dorsey

Jul 29, 2018, 11:53:45 AM7/29/18
Vic Smith <thismaila...@comcast.net> wrote:
>On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 08:33:18 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder <arlen...@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>>Then I paid Sears to do the alignment, and when I got home, I looked and
>>not a bolt was touched. I took it back to Sears and they tested it and
>>found out the guy didn't even do it. He said his charts only went back 10
>>years and so he didn't have the numbers. And yet they charged me. I as
>>livid, but in those days, I didn't scream bloody further. Nowadays I'd have
>>told them to give it to me for free or I would go to the prosecutor (or at
>>least the home office).
>
>Same thing happened to me at a Firestone shop. I bought a '66 F100 and it was pulling a
>little to the left. I dropped it off for new front tires and an alignment. When I picked
>it up from their parking lot, first thing I did was crawl under it. Same grunge on the tie
>rod ends. Went back in and asked the desk guy why they didn't do the alignment.
>He shouted to the mech and the mech shouted back. "We can't do twin I-beam."
>I had him refund the charge. Pretty close to your experience.

And this, in short, is why you go to an alignment shop with an alignment expert
instead of to the tire store.

You are lucky that they didn't do the alignment, because the tire store has
some high school kid who has been given basic directions to put the car up
on the machine and follow the directions the machine gives him. He really
doesn't know anything about the suspension geometry, but relies entirely on
the machine to do the job. He doesn't check anything for wear, he doesn't
check anything for damage or being bent, he just follows the machine.

If nothing is damaged, loose, bent, or worn, you drive away with the alignment
better than it was when you drove in. If that's not the case (and it likely
isn't, otherwise you wouldn't be getting an alignment anyway), then you drive
away with the alignment made worse.
--scott

Arlen Holder

Jul 29, 2018, 1:22:16 PM7/29/18
On 23 Jul 2018 16:42:53 GMT, trader_4 wrote:

> I didn't see any interest in my suggestion

At this point, I don't remember your "suggestion" ... but ... bearing in
mind very important facts:
1. I did the job so it's related to this newsgroup, and,
2. I have been posting to Usenet for decades, where
3. Cowardly bullies like Tekkie are a detriment to this newsgroup.

The facts are I clearly removed, and replaced that clutch, and I just as
clearly wrote the extremely detailed DIY (and am still working on improving
that DIY so as to give back to the team - which is because I'm purposefully
helpful and a great Usenet citizen), snapping almost a thousand pictures,
of each removal and replacement step and describing for the next person,
how to do what I did (with the purposefully helpful & timely advice from
many others here).

So it's eminently clear that I responded to everyone who had purposefully
helpful intent and am only now getting to responding to the worthless
trolls who wouldn't know a clutch plate from a dinner plate.

Given that
a. I actually did the job, and,
b. I am very smart and can handle complex details, and,
c. I didn't have time to shut the bullying cowardly trolls up,

*I'm only now getting to your worthless posts*.

If you feel that I didn't have an "interest" in your suggestion, then you
can rest assured, since I'm rather intelligent and logical, that I most
likely thought your suggestions were worthless and not even worth at
response at the time that I needed help.

If you feel otherwise, then you're welcome to make a technically on-topic
and technically valid post. I challenge you to do so, in fact as I do
believe that even you have some value to add to the technical topic.

Arlen Holder

Jul 29, 2018, 1:23:43 PM7/29/18
On 29 Jul 2018 17:22:14 GMT, Arlen Holder wrote:

> 3. Cowardly bullies like Tekkie are a detriment to this newsgroup.

OOops. Correction (since I care about my credibility)...

Cowardly bullies like Tekkie *and* Trader4, are a detriment to this
newsgroup.

Note: Wade Garrett is just an annoyance, like an annoying gnat.

Arlen Holder

Jul 29, 2018, 1:23:58 PM7/29/18
On 23 Jul 2018 11:40:10 GMT, TekkieŽ wrote:

> I believe this guy is the valve stem thread, harbor freight bead breaker,
> tire spec, brake lining spec Ultrec nym shifter. If he would just post under
> one name then I and more people would help him. Since I posted this the
> insults and diversions will now start.

Notice that the guys who are the dumbest on this newsgroup, always find
something that is completely unrelated to the clutch job, which is teh
topic here, to "complain" about.

*This post by Tekkie proves, yet again, that he's an utter moron.*

The point here is that Tekkie has *never* once in his entire life added
on-topic technical value to *any* thread. He's _that_ stupid, that he can't
possibly add on-topic technical value.

Why do I say this now, after the clutch job is done?

Because Tekkie is a cowardly bully troll.
a. He is a coward.
b. He is a bully.
c. And, worse, Tekkie proves how utterly _stupid_ he is in every post.

I confront cowardly bullies - in threads I care about - because I want
those threads to come to a technical resolution.

Tekkie can be a cowardly bully on any thread that he wants to bully people
on, and I let him be (yes, I read his idiotic posts all the time).

But that doesn't change the fact that Tekkie is a worthless cowardly bully.
That fact is proven every time he posts - as he did here.

Meanwhile:
a. I post a valid question, and I respond to all valid inquiries.
b. Usually I have time to confront cowardly bullies - but not this time
c. Yes, I care about my privacy - which is the only thing Tekkie sees.

Tekkie never once saw a 'clutch job' in this thread.
Not once.

He's _that_ stupid (and it irks me that people are really as stupid as
Tekkie proves he is every single time he posts).

Two related things irk me:
1. Cowardly bullies like Tekkie who have zero helpful intent, and,
2. Outfits like Sears/Midas/AAMCO who screw their trusting customers

Arlen Holder

Jul 29, 2018, 1:23:59 PM7/29/18
On 29 Jul 2018 08:08:41 GMT, Vic Smith wrote:

> Dealt with a few when I was a kid. My ma had a '55 Plymouth. Belvedere.
> I don't recall any LHT on my '74 Dart. Swinger. Could be wrong.
> I thought everybody was warned about that.

I wasn't warned.
It didn't occur to me to look.
And that was *after* taking a high school shop elective in car repair.

The one beautiful thing about that high-school class though was the
teacher, whom I thought was excellent, taught me about "systems".

I'm sure Clare, who teaches such things, would concur, where the "cooling
system" is treated as a whole, and the "lubrication system" or "starting
system" or "fuel system" or "emissions system" or "electrical system" or
"drive train" or "suspension" is treated as a complete "system".

Having worked on both German (bimmer) and Japanese (toyota) vehicles, I can
say that they both know individual "systems" well, where the Germans excel
in integrating the "drive train and suspension" systems, but the Germans
can't seem to make non-drive-train-related systems work while the Japanese
seem to integrate all the systems well.

For example, in the bimmer, I can't count the number of silly things that
go wrong (e.g., CCV in the emissions system), that just don't go wrong on
the Japanese vehicles. Don't even get me started on the German "electrical
system"....

Arlen Holder

Jul 29, 2018, 1:24:01 PM7/29/18
On 29 Jul 2018 08:53:43 GMT, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> And this, in short, is why you go to an alignment shop with an alignment expert
> instead of to the tire store.

This is good advice.
I think Vic Smith said it well when he said not to go to the "franchises".

The problem, for a kid, like I was, is that the franchises are what are
advertised the most. For example, I can still rehears the AAMCO advertising
jingle even today, almost 40 years later.

I have to admit the only three franchises (is Sears a franchise? Probably
not.) that screwed me are:
a. AAMCO (they had to be liars because it was motor mounts)
b. MIDAS (they literally did everything wrong on mounting tires)
c. Sears (they charged me for an alignment they never did)

You can't really blame me for *trusting* them, since I'm sure millions of
people trust them (I mean, it's not like I went to a local crack dealer to
get my car fixed, nor that I went to a tire shop to get a transmission
replaced).

But your advice is still valid not to trust them.

> You are lucky that they didn't do the alignment, because the tire store has
> some high school kid who has been given basic directions to put the car up
> on the machine and follow the directions the machine gives him.

I agree with you that they don't even ask how you drive when you ask for an
alignment, where, for example, I have to tell them to decrease the rear
camber from negative 2 degrees to as close to zero as they can get - which
is based on my driving style (I drive like an old man) and my care about
tire wear (I rotate bimmer tires even though BMW doesn't recommend it).

> He really
> doesn't know anything about the suspension geometry, but relies entirely on
> the machine to do the job. He doesn't check anything for wear, he doesn't
> check anything for damage or being bent, he just follows the machine.

I agree with you also, in that *most* alignment shops, even today, that I
called, do NOT add the 500 pounds of weight that BMW says is needed to set
the ride height to the "normal" position (lots of detail I'm omitting).

The only shop that I called, out of something like a dozen, that does use
the weight, is the dealer themselves, and they do use the weight every time
(it's not exactly 500 pounds but it's close enough because you put about
that much in the vehicle until you get the ride height to the "normal"
number of inches).

Only then are the numbers that BMW provides accurate.

NOTE: I don't know if Hunter *compensates* for lack of ride height or not.
(Clare might know more.)

> If nothing is damaged, loose, bent, or worn, you drive away with the alignment
> better than it was when you drove in. If that's not the case (and it likely
> isn't, otherwise you wouldn't be getting an alignment anyway), then you drive
> away with the alignment made worse.

I agree that alignment has two different situations:
a. When you suspect something is 'bent, and,
b. Just checking periodically (to ensure nothing got loose).

Next on my list is alignment at home, where I'm only talking the very few
things you can change by simple adjustment, which, for example, on the
bimmer, is front toe and that's it for the front (sans adding aftermarket
camber plates).

For the rear, it's toe and camber and that's it.

IMHO, after having thought of this problem for years, the real issue is the
mental effort of figuring out how to convert BMW degrees of toe to
centerline to something that you can measure in inches.

Camber, on the other hand, is easy to measure, but you need to get your
level away from the tire bulge, which you *can* measure in degrees, but
only if you can reliably keep the level away from the sidewall bulge and
still perfectly parallel to the wheel.

If you measure by inches, e.g., if you use a plumb bob, then you're stuck
doing trig again.

So of the six jobs almost nobody does at home, the alignment check is the
one that makes the brain hurt the most - which is why - I think - nobody
does it at home. (I could be wrong - but that's what I think unless someone
can give me their reason - which can't be that you need $100K of equipment
so please do not say that because it's just dead wrong and yet I've heard
it a thousand times).

Why don't most people periodically *check* their alignment at home?
(I think the answer is that it makes the brain hurt to figure out how.)

Arlen Holder

Jul 29, 2018, 1:24:02 PM7/29/18
On 29 Jul 2018 08:01:58 GMT, Vic Smith wrote:

> Same thing happened to me at a Firestone shop. I bought a '66 F100 and it was pulling a
> little to the left. I dropped it off for new front tires and an alignment. When I picked
> it up from their parking lot, first thing I did was crawl under it. Same grunge on the tie
> rod ends. Went back in and asked the desk guy why they didn't do the alignment.
> He shouted to the mech and the mech shouted back. "We can't do twin I-beam."
> I had him refund the charge. Pretty close to your experience.

THANK YOU!
The reason I say thank you is that I don't know if my experience is unique.
All I know is that it happened, and, worse, they didn't give a shit.
They charged me. They did nothing. When I brought it back, they didn't
blink an eye when I alleged that no bolt was twisted.

When they put it on the rack, the *only* thing even close was the toe
(which, remember, I had already done). I remember it was a 70 Dodge Dart,
and they said their charts (this is before the Internet, of course) only
went back ten years, so I think it was 1981 as I remember it being close to
those ten years.

What irks me is that they might be doing this for *thousands* of other
customers, which is really one of the major reasons I do my own work (I
haven't been to a mechanic in a decade).

Hence I THANK YOU for letting me know that I'm not the only one who has ben
screwed by alignment shops saying they do the work, and yet, not doing it.

Just as I brought my heavy flywheel with me to pick up the new flywheel
last week, I try to ameliorate this by WATCHING what they do (luckily we
always have cameras nowadays) where watching MIDAS caught them in so many
provable errors when they simply changed my tires that TireRack shipped
them, that they ended up mounting the four tires for the price of the valve
stem (it took them two hours for four tires because I kept stopping them to
tell them that they were doing it wrong - and they did _that_ many things
wrong - where I had a full-fledged SLR on my neck strap proving every
step).

TireRack called me back (they have a guy for this actually, who runs the
recommended installer program) and said they kicked that MIDAS out of the
recommended installer program - and even after that - MIDAS *still* said
they had a "tirerack" price (which TireRack doesn't allow them to
advertise) so I got them in trouble for that too.

I don't know if they were just screwing me, or if they screw almost anyone,
so that's why I THANK YOU for letting me know I'm not the only one, at
least with alignment, who got screwed by a shop that charged me and didn't
touch anything.

NOTE: I have a mom-and-pop local alignment shop I go to now, where I've
posted pictures in the past of what he does, and he's *GREAT*. He even lets
me bring my own 500 pounds of weight and doesn't complain that I follow him
around like a puppy, watching every bolt (he shows me what to twist) and he
sets the Bimmer's rear camber as close to 0 degrees at my request, even
though the spec is negative 2 degrees (which eats tires like you can't
believe and where I don't need to corner like a banshee).

My rule now is to *WATCH* them ... but I do thank you for confirming that
I'm not the only one who paid for an alignment and didn't get anything in
return.

>>Can you believe that they just didn't do it, and didn't give a shit?
>>

> Sure can.

That sucks.
Guys like you and me they won't fool too often (e.g., I'll never go to
Sears ever again) - but what about a young kid who goes there today. They
get ripped off because of these people you can't trust.

> I heard the stories, so did some looking around when the trans went out on my '67 Skylark.
> AAMCO wanted $700 - hell, I only paid $475 for the car.
> Went to the used car dealer I bought it from and he told me what trans shop he used.
> They rebuilt the trans for $125.

Thanks for confirming AAMCO is a ripoff, although, we have to remember, I
think they're like Burger Kings where they are owned by a person who isn't
really part of AAMCO per se.

In my case, it was the same Dodge Dart whose motor mounts (both of them)
had sheared such that the engine was tilted and the belts were making
noises.

I brought it *later* to K-Mart for something like a $10 checkup, where
K-Mart told me *exactly* what the problem was (which was easy to repair as
motor mounts were as simple as jacking the engine, removing the mount by a
single nut each, and then putting the new ones in).

So it was clearly easily diagnosed as broken motor mounts.

When I went to AAMCO, they put it on a lift without even looking at the
engine, and then showed me the gunk in the transmission pan, where they
literally swiped their finger in it and showed me the dirty finger
"proving" that the transmission was the culprit.

The charge, as I recall, for a new transmission (or rebuilt?) was $400
which was astronomical to me (I literally didn't have that much money in
the bank at that time), where they were literally livid that I told them to
button it up (it was the "free diagnosis").

They even put in the old mixed fluid from a billion cars!
Now I know how sadistic that act alone is, but then I didn't know any
better (all I did was notice it).

Can you believe that? They had already mixed my fluid in with everyone
else's (including, I'm sure, manual transmissions) and then they
sadistically replaced my fluid with that mess.

Again, I didn't realize at that time how horrid an act that is.

But back to the point, the problem was that the motor mounts were bad, and
yet they told me I needed a new (or rebuilt) transmission!

Being older and wiser, I can only conclude one of two possible things:
1. They are incredible inept, or,
2. They are thieves.

Pick one.

>>I taught my kids that very many are crooks (AAMCO is the worst, IMHO).
>>Sigh.
>
> Just avoid the franchise operations. Still have to deal with finding a competent mechanic,
> but when you do, you're set. Until they retire or die on you.

I do agree with you on finding someone you can trust. I was in the YMCA
Indian Princess years ago with my kids, where one of the Dads was a
mechanic, where I trusted him (and, since I still have those cars, two
decades later, I know that he replaced every bolt, he torqued them down,
etc and he used OEM parts like he said he did).

He retired, just as you predicted!
Sigh.

Luckily the mom-and-pop alignment shop still exists. The mother is
literally the lady in the front office, and this kid, who is about 30 or
so, is a nice guy who literally lets me under the car with him as he points
out the bolts I need to adjust to set the alignment.

I'm sure Clare would say that most mechanics are honest, and I'm sure most
are, but I didn't even finish telling you my stories of where they're not.

:)

dsi1

Jul 29, 2018, 1:50:56 PM7/29/18
I used one of those big Chilton multi-year/model manuals to change the timing belts on a Subaru. It was simple enough except they left out a step where you turn the crankshaft 360 degrees after installing one belt. This meant that one cam was 180 degrees out of phase with the other cam. It also meant that your engine wasn't going to start. That was a very bad mistake.

Vic Smith

Jul 29, 2018, 4:12:41 PM7/29/18
On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 17:24:01 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder <arlen...@nospam.net> wrote:

>On 29 Jul 2018 08:01:58 GMT, Vic Smith wrote:
>

>> Just avoid the franchise operations. Still have to deal with finding a competent mechanic,
>> but when you do, you're set. Until they retire or die on you.

I'll amend that about franchise shops. Tire shops like Firestone, Just Tires, etc. have
good alignment equipment, or at least should have. My son worked for Just Tires for a few
years, and now works at an independent shop doing mainly heavy truck suspensions.
He talks to old mates at Just Tires, and sends me there when I need alignment work, which
is rare. So far they've done a fine job as far as I can tell.
I've had 4-5 exhaust systems replaced (family cars) at a local Meineke at fair prices.
But they screwed up a brake job - left off the e-brake lever on the rear drum.
It all depends on management and personnel. Just be aware of that, and that a competent
mech can point you to competent shops. This has always worked for me, when I can't do it
myself.

rbowman

Jul 29, 2018, 4:13:31 PM7/29/18
On 07/29/2018 02:33 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> Quantum mechanics still drives me nuts because nothing in it is intuitive,
> which is another point -- which is that anyone who thinks they're intuitive
> - is wrong. :)

Quantum was the fourth semester as we worked our way through Resnick &
Halliday. (Resnick worked there so we damn well used his book). The TA's
chief claim to fame was playing 'Flight of the Bumblebee' on the
xylophone -- in a dark room with lighted batons. I submitted an essay
titled 'Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle versus Heidegger's Principle
Uncertainty'. Passed the course. It's understandable that some of the
original quantum guys got a little weird.

> That's another thing. We had labs, and in the labs we used caps, of course,
> but they never teach you PRACTICAL stuff, like the difference between
> tantalum and electrolytic, and pancake caps, and what happens if you stick
> a 10VDC electrolytic water tower into the electrical socket (that's fun if
> you haven't tried it).

One of my clients was Sprague Electric's Maine plant where they made
tantlums. They were a fun client with a severe case of NIH so I got to
design a Z80 motherboard and peripheral cards for process monitoring.
That was back when there were about 20 flavors of Z80 control system
schemes like the STD bus but they wanted their very own. They also like
FORTH so I got to use that. Ultimately FORTH got me some work on
aircraft fuel measurement and management systems but I was strictly
doing software by them. Logic is logic; TTL, relays, fluidics,
microcontrollers, whatever.

rbowman

Jul 29, 2018, 4:47:49 PM7/29/18
On 07/29/2018 11:23 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> For example, in the bimmer, I can't count the number of silly things that
> go wrong (e.g., CCV in the emissions system), that just don't go wrong on
> the Japanese vehicles. Don't even get me started on the German "electrical
> system"....

I had an early Audi that was a lot of laughs. I was in upstate New
Hampshire headed for Canada when it stopped raining. I turned the wipers
off and they didn't. Fortunately I found a phone to call the dealership
and ask where the relay was. The alternative was to remove the arms but
that wasn't as easy as it sounds. Then there was the plug wires. At
around 15,000 miles that car wouldn't start. No warning, no rough idle,
just no start. I learned to keep spares in the trunk.

VW was also in the learning process of swapping ends from rear
engine/rear drive to front engine/front drive. That didn't go well.

Finally, there was the national 55 mph speed limit that got slapped on
us. The car wasn't geared to do 55 except as a momentary point on the
way to a reasonable cruising speed.

That was my last German car. Audi must have improved quite a bit.

rbowman

Jul 29, 2018, 4:52:56 PM7/29/18
On 07/29/2018 01:47 AM, Xeno wrote:
> On 29/7/18 4:46 pm, rbowman wrote:
>> On 07/28/2018 09:01 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
>>> Do you think there would be a market for such a car-specific (completely
>>> unlike Hanes/Chilton/FSM) perfect no-step-missed DIY as I write?
>>
>> The problem is addressed on some forums. With digital cameras and the
>> ease of putting stuff on line quite a few people have done step by
>> step logs. Unfortunately they're model specific. The Toyota forum has
>> saved me a lot of pain. I've got the manual but I'm sure the replace
>> the radio page starts with 'remove dash trim'. Yeah, right. You start
>> down at the transmission hump with a plastic putty knife popping off
>> little plastic bits until you work your way up to the speedometer
>> housing.
>>
>> Bikes are getting just as bad. I had a driveway full of plastic
>> pieces, a gas tank, and other odd and ends before I could get to the
>> regulator to unplug the stator to replace it.
>>
>> Some days I dream of finding a 1965 VW in good shape.
>
> I would consider that dream a nightmare.

I might be one of the few members of my generation that never owned a
beetle, never rode in one for more than 5 miles, and never drove one
further than 50 yards. The design philosophy fascinated me though. You
could pretty much take a few apart, mix and match, and put them together
again. In an era where US manufacturers were doing their best to make
sure every model year was utterly incompatible with the previous, that
was something.

I still get irate at times. How many frigging oil filters that almost
but not quite the same does the world need? Those little plastic bits?

rbowman

Jul 29, 2018, 4:55:39 PM7/29/18
On 07/29/2018 02:33 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
Fortunately, Bentleys have never been on my menu. My fling with British
sports cars was enough. Damn Whitworth and all his descendants.

rbowman

Jul 29, 2018, 5:01:40 PM7/29/18
On 07/29/2018 02:33 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> Once, decades ago, I was doing the pitman arm, idler arm, and tie rod ends
> for a Dodge Dart of the 70's vintage, where, it was winter so I had to ride
> my motorcycle in the snow to get the parts, and, they gave me the wrong
> tie-rod ends.

With age comes wisdom... One winter when the pickup was acting up I
bought a used Geo figuring I'd deal with it in the spring. The Geo
turned out to be a durable little ride. Its only problem was it was sort
of cactus green. I drove it down to Arizona and when I went hiking in
the desert I was careful to create a GPS waypoint. It could vanish
completely in a saguaro thicket.

Arlen Holder

Jul 29, 2018, 11:52:32 PM7/29/18
On 29 Jul 2018 13:12:34 GMT, Vic Smith wrote:

> I'll amend that about franchise shops. Tire shops like Firestone, Just Tires, etc. have
> good alignment equipment, or at least should have. My son worked for Just Tires for a few
> years, and now works at an independent shop doing mainly heavy truck suspensions.
> He talks to old mates at Just Tires, and sends me there when I need alignment work, which
> is rare. So far they've done a fine job as far as I can tell.
> I've had 4-5 exhaust systems replaced (family cars) at a local Meineke at fair prices.
> But they screwed up a brake job - left off the e-brake lever on the rear drum.
> It all depends on management and personnel. Just be aware of that, and that a competent
> mech can point you to competent shops. This has always worked for me, when I can't do it
> myself.

Speaking of tires, a neighbor had a catastrophic flat today where she
called me to help but I was at the hospital getting stitches for my arm:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5538528tire.jpg>

I couldn't help her - so I gave her my wife's AAA card number where she
impersonated my wife and the tow operator changed the tire for her.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=962599720180729_174631.jpg>

The tow guy said the tire is in great shape treadwise, and he said the tire
is 3 years old based on the serial (3415) and when I asked her to read the
numbers, she said it's a Toyo Eclipse P205/65R15 92T (yes, I know what all
those numbers mean) with markings of CDE3415 and DOTN39L.

She's not the original owner but she has had the car for a year.

Do you know how to complain to the government that this tire should not
have blown out like that? I know she didn't abuse it, where it's on a
typical Japanese sedan but when you see that picture, you'll be amazed.

She said she was going about 80 and the tires were checked just last week
for air pressure, and she immediately pulled over to the side of the road
within ten seconds.

Have you ever filed a complaint with the government for a 3 year old tire?

Arlen Holder

Jul 30, 2018, 12:00:32 AM7/30/18
On 29 Jul 2018 13:56:27 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> Fortunately, Bentleys have never been on my menu. My fling with British
> sports cars was enough. Damn Whitworth and all his descendants.

One good Internet DIY is better than the shop manuals, except for the
torque specs (IMHO).

Xeno

Jul 30, 2018, 12:36:50 AM7/30/18
Another one who had 3 or 4 completely different toolkits in the dark
ages. I had full sets of Whitworth, BS, AF and Metric spanners and
sockets for all the different types of cars and trucks I used to work on.

Xeno

Jul 30, 2018, 12:39:25 AM7/30/18
Yes, a very bad omission. I have seen similarly disastrous omissions and
errors in those aftermarket manuals. Flywheel and clutch bolt torque
settings switched for instance. That was an obvious error to a trained
mechanic but wouldn't have been for an amateur.

rbowman

Jul 30, 2018, 1:55:43 AM7/30/18
On 07/29/2018 10:36 PM, Xeno wrote:
> On 30/7/18 6:56 am, rbowman wrote:

>>> Hehheh ... that's a good point. The Bentleys are filled with that crap.
>>>

>> Fortunately, Bentleys have never been on my menu. My fling with
>> British sports cars was enough. Damn Whitworth and all his descendants.
>
> Another one who had 3 or 4 completely different toolkits in the dark
> ages. I had full sets of Whitworth, BS, AF and Metric spanners and
> sockets for all the different types of cars and trucks I used to work on.

I've got a Japanese car and two Japanese bikes and they are metric, end
of story. My 'made in America' F150 and Harley throw a little metric in
the mix to make sure you have two sets of tools.

The one advantage of metric is communicating to the spousal unit when
you're under the car and need another wrench. Women grasp whole numbers
a lot better than 'get me the goddam 11/32!"

Xeno

Jul 30, 2018, 3:22:37 AM7/30/18
On 30/7/18 3:56 pm, rbowman wrote:
> On 07/29/2018 10:36 PM, Xeno wrote:

>>> Fortunately, Bentleys have never been on my menu. My fling with
>>> British sports cars was enough. Damn Whitworth and all his descendants.
>>
>> Another one who had 3 or 4 completely different toolkits in the dark
>> ages.  I had full sets of Whitworth, BS, AF and Metric spanners and
>> sockets for all the different types of cars and trucks I used to work on.
>>

> I've got a Japanese car and two Japanese bikes and they are metric, end
> of story. My 'made in America' F150 and Harley throw a little metric in
> the mix to make sure you have two sets of tools.

I still have a significant quantity of Whitworth and BS stuff. Obviously
not used in a very very long time. The US is, in the automotive industry
at least, metricating so you will see significantly more metric in your
'made in America' vehicles in the future.

> The one advantage of metric is communicating to the spousal unit when
> you're under the car and need another wrench. Women grasp whole numbers
> a lot better than 'get me the goddam 11/32!"

I keep my spousal unit away when I work on cars so your issue doesn't
affect me. That said, since we metricated here decades ago, many of the
younger tradespeople - male and female - have no idea of imperial
fractions either.

Scott Dorsey

Jul 30, 2018, 9:57:38 AM7/30/18
Arlen Holder <arlen...@nospam.net> wrote:
> <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=962599720180729_174631.jpg>
>
>The tow guy said the tire is in great shape treadwise, and he said the tire
>is 3 years old based on the serial (3415) and when I asked her to read the
>numbers, she said it's a Toyo Eclipse P205/65R15 92T (yes, I know what all
>those numbers mean) with markings of CDE3415 and DOTN39L.
>
>She's not the original owner but she has had the car for a year.
>
>Do you know how to complain to the government that this tire should not
>have blown out like that? I know she didn't abuse it, where it's on a
>typical Japanese sedan but when you see that picture, you'll be amazed.

This is exactly how tires blow out when they are underinflated. You say that
she checked the pressure last week, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a nail
or sidewall puncture causing the tire to lose pressure slowly.

>She said she was going about 80 and the tires were checked just last week
>for air pressure, and she immediately pulled over to the side of the road
>within ten seconds.
>
>Have you ever filed a complaint with the government for a 3 year old tire?

Tires are wear items. You replace them now and then, you check them often,
and sometimes they just fail. The government is not likely to be able to do
much about that.

Xeno

Jul 30, 2018, 10:32:17 AM7/30/18
On 30/7/18 11:57 pm, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Arlen Holder <arlen...@nospam.net> wrote:
>> <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=962599720180729_174631.jpg>
>>
>> The tow guy said the tire is in great shape treadwise, and he said the tire
>> is 3 years old based on the serial (3415) and when I asked her to read the
>> numbers, she said it's a Toyo Eclipse P205/65R15 92T (yes, I know what all
>> those numbers mean) with markings of CDE3415 and DOTN39L.
>>
>> She's not the original owner but she has had the car for a year.
>>
>> Do you know how to complain to the government that this tire should not
>> have blown out like that? I know she didn't abuse it, where it's on a
>> typical Japanese sedan but when you see that picture, you'll be amazed.
>
> This is exactly how tires blow out when they are underinflated. You say that

Definitely! That tyre shows distinct sidewall degradation that didn't
happen overnight or in a week.

> she checked the pressure last week, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a nail
> or sidewall puncture causing the tire to lose pressure slowly.

Or that it had been run underinflated for months prior to being
correctly inflated the week prior thereby prematurely weakening the
sidewalls and setting it up for failure.

Vic Smith

Jul 30, 2018, 1:29:45 PM7/30/18
When I rebuilt my 352 and put it together there was a random knock. Never even moved the
truck. I couldn't figure it out.
Finally decided to let it idle until it screamed, obviously wiping bearings.
It didn't take long, maybe 2-3 minutes of very erratic knocking. Dropped the pan, found
wipings in the new oil. Still had the rented engine hoist, so I pulled the engine again,
and tore it down. Found the cam lobes had been chipped. I spent about 15 minutes
searching the garbage can for the old fiber cam gear I had replaced with a new cast iron
one. Saw that the cast iron one had the 1/4" spacer I had reinstalled cast in with the
gear. Took the block back to the shop which had bathed it, and installed new cam bearings.
This shop had also miked the crank and bores and sold me the correct size bearings, cam,
rings, and lifters. The parts guy there felt bad that he hadn't warned me about the new
cam gear, and didn't charge me for a new cam. About 20 bucks. I was surprised at that -
figured I should have caught that myself. Hell, if it had been a day later, and the
garbage had been picked up, I would have had a hell of a time figuring out what was wrong.
That little fiasco cost me about a days work.
What I can't remember about the whole thing, is how in the hell I put that block in and out
of my '64 Bug 4 times for shop trips. I worked alone the whole time. Ah, youth!

Arlen Holder

Jul 30, 2018, 2:38:19 PM7/30/18
On 30 Jul 2018 07:32:12 GMT, Xeno wrote:

> Definitely! That tyre shows distinct sidewall degradation that didn't
> happen overnight or in a week.

That's interesting because I work on this care (but not on that tire) and I
have always advised her (it's a college kid who lives away at college) to
keep it at 40 psi so ever since she bought it (a year ago) it was at 40psi.

Here's the only other photo she sent me, this on in situ, on the roadside:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6543956tireoncar.jpg>

> Or that it had been run underinflated for months prior to being
> correctly inflated the week prior thereby prematurely weakening the
> sidewalls and setting it up for failure.

I know this car well as this kid is a neighbor's kid who has gone away to
school, and I repaired three of her five tires (the pictures are in this
newsgroup, where the last one was only about a month ago).

I can't speak for the history before a year ago, as that's when she bought
it (I helped her buy it too, where it's the third or fourth owner).

In the past year, I've patchplugged three of her five tires, the last one
only about a month or so ago (let me dig up the thread so I can give you
the exact date). For now, assume a month.

At that time, all five tires were at 40 psi because I'm meticulous that
way, and because this is a college kid who doesn't think about such things.
I know for a fact exactly which tires they are because I rotated them at
that time and worried about the fact that the front two and the spare were
the ones which each had one patch plug from me.

The rear two didn't have anything and didn't need anything, and the tread
was fantastic and they were holding air pressure or I would have noticed
that they weren't (since I look at her tires every once in a while - and no
- I didn't mount these except the ones I repaired).

So for them to be *underinflated* had to happen more than a year ago.

I picked out every bit of debris in each of her tires when I rotated them
(I always do where I have a pick in my tire repair kit) but I didn't
closely inspect the sidewall other than that it didn't show anything
obvious to me.

Arlen Holder

Jul 30, 2018, 2:38:20 PM7/30/18
On 30 Jul 2018 06:57:35 GMT, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> This is exactly how tires blow out when they are underinflated. You say that
> she checked the pressure last week, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a nail
> or sidewall puncture causing the tire to lose pressure slowly.

Wow. I wasn't expecting someone to say "underinflated" especially since she
told me she inflates them to 40psi even though the door sticker I had her
read says 29 psi. So, if anything, she would have been overinflated.

I had her check for nail holes and she said she didn't see any. I told her
to save the carcass for me (she was on a trip and won't be back for a few
days) so I could physically look at it when she returns.

She's pretty meticulous, so, I'm sure the tires weren't underinflated at
the time she was using them, but could they have been run chronically
underinflated by the previous owner (more than a year ago) and still blown
out yesterday (a year later)?

> Tires are wear items. You replace them now and then, you check them often,
> and sometimes they just fail. The government is not likely to be able to do
> much about that.

I have had many flats, but I've never seen a tire do that.

The AAA guy said to her (according to her) that there must have been
something wrong with the tire. He checked her spare before putting it on
and he said it was good (where the spare would have been checked with the
other tires last week and where I had repaired her spare with a patchplug
about six months ago).

I'm positive that the tire wasn't underinflated last week, and, in fact, it
was, if anything, at 40psi, unless, of course, there was a leak (which I
don't know about).

I have no idea if it was run chronically underinflated at some point in its
life though, so all I can say is that it likely wasn't underinflated in the
last week - unless - unless there is a nail hole (which I will look for).

I think it's odd that I've never seen a tire do that, nor, according to
her, did the AAA towtruck think it normal, and that you think it's normal.

I'm not saying you're wrong as I don't have the experience - where all I
can say is I have had, oh, I don't know, 40 or 50 flats, and none looked
anything like that (which is not much experience as a tire shop will see
much more).

I'll take the photo to a tire shop to ask them also, so I do very much
appreciate the advice since I realize 40 or 50 flats (I'm guessing at the
number) for me isn't all that much experience. (I should note that I have
repaired this neighbor's tires in the past, but this is DEFINITELY not one
of the ones I touched - the last one I did was right on the edge of her
sidewall - which I posted pictures of a month or two ago - and I repaired
the spare also - both with patch plugs.

At that time (we can look up the date of that thread), three of her five
tires were patched by me from the inside - but she confirmed this is not
one of them (I write on the tire with grease pen when I repair them and she
hated those markings because they were on the outside sidewall so it's
confirmed I never touched this particular tire except to fill it with air).

Scott Dorsey

Jul 30, 2018, 6:23:51 PM7/30/18
Arlen Holder <arlen...@nospam.net> wrote:
>On 30 Jul 2018 06:57:35 GMT, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
>> This is exactly how tires blow out when they are underinflated. You say that
>> she checked the pressure last week, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a nail
>> or sidewall puncture causing the tire to lose pressure slowly.
>
>Wow. I wasn't expecting someone to say "underinflated" especially since she
>told me she inflates them to 40psi even though the door sticker I had her
>read says 29 psi. So, if anything, she would have been overinflated.

Overinflation is just as bad, but I don't know how overinflated tires
fail because I have not really seen any of those. Underinflation is much
more common.

Overinflation also puts undue stress on the sidewall, but not in the same
way.

>> Tires are wear items. You replace them now and then, you check them often,
>> and sometimes they just fail. The government is not likely to be able to do
>> much about that.
>
>I have had many flats, but I've never seen a tire do that.
>
>The AAA guy said to her (according to her) that there must have been
>something wrong with the tire. He checked her spare before putting it on
>and he said it was good (where the spare would have been checked with the
>other tires last week and where I had repaired her spare with a patchplug
>about six months ago).

He's likely right. See any dry-rot cracks on the other tires? See any
sidewall damage anywhere?

>At that time (we can look up the date of that thread), three of her five
>tires were patched by me from the inside - but she confirmed this is not
>one of them (I write on the tire with grease pen when I repair them and she
>hated those markings because they were on the outside sidewall so it's
>confirmed I never touched this particular tire except to fill it with air).

So she's a person who is prone to running over nails frequently?

Arlen Holder

Jul 30, 2018, 7:34:23 PM7/30/18
On 30 Jul 2018 15:23:49 GMT, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Overinflation is just as bad, but I don't know how overinflated tires
> fail because I have not really seen any of those. Underinflation is much
> more common.

Here is a series of pictures of an inside patch-and-plug repair on that
same car (different tire but same model and date code I'm sure) in May of
this year, which I had posted to this newsgroup to ask if it was too close
to the sidewall.
https://u.cubeupload.com/ephXTU.jpg https://u.cubeupload.com/hL4S7k.jpg
https://u.cubeupload.com/dVRzSE.jpg https://u.cubeupload.com/QhfOze.jpg
https://u.cubeupload.com/QTSFM6.jpg https://u.cubeupload.com/QhfOze.jpg
https://u.cubeupload.com/Pf9S1J.jpg https://u.cubeupload.com/m7V4v8.jpg
https://u.cubeupload.com/f260b6.jpg https://u.cubeupload.com/QAXcRZ.jpg

(Yes, I'm detail oriented.)

A few reasons I know these tires were not underinflated in the past year is
that I check them periodically when the college kid is in town, and I
inflate to 40psi habitually for all my passenger tires.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5538528tire.jpg>

This tire above is the same car, and almost certainly the same brand (as
only the spare was a different model) but the tire that popped did NOT have
any repairs by me so I never touched it other than to inflate it to 40psi.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6543956tireoncar.jpg>

The carcass says it can handle a given load (I don't remember the pounds
but she read it to me and it was something like 1400 and change per tire)
at 44psi, where she was at 40psi on a hot day at 80mph (yes, I know that
means the pressure went up about 10% or so).

There is almost zero chance this tire was underinflated for the last year,
but there's no way to know what it was prior to that as the tire is 3 years
old and she bought the car 1 year ago.

> Overinflation also puts undue stress on the sidewall, but not in the same
> way.

I typically recommend everyone I know use 40psi despite the door sticker,
but this door sticker, for the record, is 29psi.

> So she's a person who is prone to running over nails frequently?\

I don't know why most of you don't get as many flats as we do, but I repair
a nail-or-screw-based flat every few months it seems, although caveats
apply where it's not on a general schedule, of course, and I do it for
neighbors and I have 4 cars in use all the time, where it's part of my
equation as to why I mount and statically balance my own tires at home.

Here's a picture of one of the tires I repaired in 2016 for example that I
had posted to this newsgroup when I was looking for a good patch plug
supplier.
https://imgur.com/InL9A8y

Here are five more holed tires that I posted to this newsgroup back in
2017, where I "practiced" on these five, all of which were well beyond the
tread life.
https://u.cubeupload.com/qD9rZv.jpg

Remember, it doesn't rain for 9 or 10 months of the year here so traction
is "better" the slicker the tread, but let's ignore the extreme tread wear
and concentrate on the fact that tires hole all the time when you look at
the size of this screw, which would have punctured a truck tire since it's
so long.
https://u.cubeupload.com/gCNODb.jpg

This is another picture I posted, of that same tire, showing where it was
punctured by that long screw which is common in the flats that I see around
here.
https://u.cubeupload.com/0X8NfQ.jpg

Anyway, you guys seem to have a LOT more luck with nails and screws than I
do, which is why I repair tires all the time, as I don't think I've ever
had a vehicle ever wear a set of tires to the wear bars before getting at
least half the tires punctured.

Your tires also last FOREVER compared to ours, which only last two years,
and maybe three at most, but this is very hilly very windy country where K
turns are normal every day, twice a day to get out of the garage, none of
which is kind to tires.

The main question here is what on earth causes a tire to catastrophically
fail like that? The real question for me is should I order 4 new tires,
given this thread is still fantastic (she lives elsewhere where it isn't
hilly and windy so she gets more than we do by way of wear).
https://u.cubeupload.com/9JuDSK.jpg

Arlen Holder

Aug 6, 2018, 9:33:21 PM8/6/18
Picked up one of these for the next time around!
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9321889pilot_bushing_tool.jpg

Lisle 55600 Clutch Pilot Bushing Remover
"This Blind Hole Bushing Remover Uses Hydraulic Pressure to Quickly
Remove Brass and Bronze Pilot Bushings from 1/2" to 4/4" ID. Not for Use on
Steel Bearings."

I wonder why it wouldn't work for steel?