keep a sunvisor from swinging to the side?

micky

Sep 25, 2021, 9:53:03 PM9/25/21
How would you keep a sunvisor from swinging to the side?

When mine, a 2005 Toyota Solara, is against the left window and I turn
left, it heads for my head and I have to keep pushing it back.

It's easy to oil something but I want to do the opposite. What's the
opposite of oiling called? (Not de-oiling or unoiling. :-) I want to
search for a product that does that.)

I havent' taken the visor out yet, but I dont' think there is much space
between the tube and what surrounds it. Can't stick a zip-tie in it.
Maybe pouring talcum powder on the pipe will be abrasive enough to stop
this? (I'd like to finish the same day I start.)

I only notice this when driving south early in the morning or north at
sundown, on a day like today.

Bob F

Sep 26, 2021, 12:08:37 AM9/26/21
Have you tried searching for "2005 Toyota Solara visor swings in turns".

Rod Speed

Sep 26, 2021, 12:26:40 AM9/26/21
micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com> wrote

> How would you keep a sunvisor from swinging to the side?
>
> When mine, a 2005 Toyota Solara, is against the left window and I turn
> left, it heads for my head and I have to keep pushing it back.
>
> It's easy to oil something but I want to do the opposite. What's the
> opposite of oiling called? (Not de-oiling or unoiling. :-) I want to
> search for a product that does that.)

Loctite has a variety of products that do that.

Peeler

Sep 26, 2021, 3:51:56 AM9/26/21
On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 14:26:33 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 87-year-old senile Australian
cretin's pathological trolling:
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/rod-speed-faq.2973853/

Rod Speed

Sep 27, 2021, 2:51:03 AM9/27/21
Charlie+ <cha...@xxx.net> wrote
> micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com> wrote

> Probably a plastic sleeve bearing , quick fix would be to tigten it up a
> bit by stuffing a plastic or wood shaving up the bearing padding out the
> fitting a bit.

> Or if you never want it to move again then wick some
> superglue or Loctite (as another poster suggests) into
> the vertical bearing C+

There isn't just one Loctite, some just increase the friction,

Peeler

Sep 27, 2021, 3:40:09 AM9/27/21
On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 16:50:55 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID: <f9056fe6-1479-40ff...@googlegroups.com>

Ali Baba

Sep 28, 2021, 6:25:28 AM9/28/21
On 9/25/21 9:53 PM, micky wrote:
> How would you keep a sunvisor from swinging to the side?
>
> When mine, a 2005 Toyota Solara, is against the left window and I turn
> left, it heads for my head and I have to keep pushing it back.

A democrat, who truly believes in saving the planet, would buy a new Chang li Explorer 4 seat 4 wheel electric car that doesn't contribute to climate change.

Only $2195.00

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Electric-Car-Electric-Electric-Car-New_1600157153717.html

And if $2195 is too rich for you, maybe obama's boy will have a cash-for-clunkers program soon.

Ken Olson

Sep 28, 2021, 12:45:34 PM9/28/21
On 9/28/2021 6:25 AM, Ali Baba wrote:
> that doesn't contribute to climate change.

Sure they do. Electricity doesn't just appear by magic.

--
ÄLSKAR - Fänga Dagen

micky

Sep 29, 2021, 4:35:15 PM9/29/21
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 27 Sep 2021 16:50:55 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Charlie+ <cha...@xxx.net> wrote
>> micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com> wrote
>
>> Probably a plastic sleeve bearing , quick fix would be to tigten it up a
>> bit by stuffing a plastic or wood shaving up the bearing padding out the
>> fitting a bit.

It's a perfect fit. There's no room to stuff anything in. It's not what
I'd call a bearing, it's just a hole in the plastic.

>> Or if you never want it to move again then wick some
>> superglue or Loctite (as another poster suggests) into
>> the vertical bearing C+
>
>There isn't just one Loctite, some just increase the friction,

I looked at the Loctite page and didn't see anything to increase
friction. Do you know what it is called, or used to be called???

Loctite has separate sections for different countries including the
US and Australia. Also consumer and industrial.

I also googled increase friction and liquid increase friction
and got technical pages about friction in general but no products.

Charlie, do you know one? Even if it's expensive**. Do you know what
such a thing is called, some special terms. (I presume C+ is your
signature and not a product. )

**A new sunvisor is $205 and they don't have my color, unless ivory is
the same as tan. A used sunvisor will likely have the same problem.

Xeno

Sep 29, 2021, 9:25:37 PM9/29/21
On 30/9/21 6:35 am, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 27 Sep 2021 16:50:55 +1000, "Rod Speed"
> <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Charlie+ <cha...@xxx.net> wrote
>>> micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com> wrote
>>
>>> Probably a plastic sleeve bearing , quick fix would be to tigten it up a
>>> bit by stuffing a plastic or wood shaving up the bearing padding out the
>>> fitting a bit.
>
> It's a perfect fit. There's no room to stuff anything in. It's not what
> I'd call a bearing, it's just a hole in the plastic.

What the sunvisor has is a special friction bearing usually manufactured
of a nylon like substance (Delrin?). They have either a friction surface
or two or a pair of ribbed surfaces providing indented location. Once
upon a time, it was possible to *tighten* these through provision of a
screw. These are no longer extant, certainly not in my Toyota nor any
car I have had in the past 30+ years. Some vehicles had a replaceable
friction sleeve, like this one from a Citroen;
https://ds-sassen.de/onlineshop/gb/sky-for-roof/854-friction-sleeve-for-sun-visor.html
If yours is a cheaper run-of-the-mill car like mine, you're shit outta
luck finding any such *user serviceable part*. Given that, if yours has
lost friction, then it is either broken or worn out and, as such, needs
to be replaced to restore functionality.

>>> Or if you never want it to move again then wick some
>>> superglue or Loctite (as another poster suggests) into
>>> the vertical bearing C+
>>
>> There isn't just one Loctite, some just increase the friction,
>
> I looked at the Loctite page and didn't see anything to increase
> friction. Do you know what it is called, or used to be called???
>
> Loctite has separate sections for different countries including the
> US and Australia. Also consumer and industrial.
>

> I also googled increase friction and liquid increase friction
> and got technical pages about friction in general but no products.

Don't bother. If your friction bearing in the visor is not gripping as
it should, rest assured a *liquid* is not going to restore any degree of
functionality to it.

> Charlie, do you know one? Even if it's expensive**. Do you know what
> such a thing is called, some special terms. (I presume C+ is your
> signature and not a product. )
>

> **A new sunvisor is $205 and they don't have my color, unless ivory is
> the same as tan. A used sunvisor will likely have the same problem.

Ivory is *not* the same as tan. Tan is a distinct brown hue whereas
ivory is tending towards pink. Of course, if the car is an old dunger,
does it really matter if the colour isn't a perfect match? For safety
reasons, you *need* the functionality. BTW, if you forage through the
wrecking yards for a used one, you can readily *assess* the
serviceability of the friction bearing on any you come across so what is
the issue with hunting up a used visor?

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 29, 2021, 10:11:32 PM9/29/21
How about taking it out, lay it on the ground and smack with a hammer?
Distort it enough to get friction.

Ken Olson

Sep 29, 2021, 11:22:20 PM9/29/21
Or squeeze it. Hard to argue with a hammer in most cases.

Xeno

Sep 30, 2021, 2:46:45 AM9/30/21
Depends on the internal arrangement. They also may not distort as easily
as you think.

Rod Speed

Sep 30, 2021, 3:02:51 AM9/30/21

"Xeno" <xeno...@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
Its only liquid till it sets with the friction increase loctites.

Rod Speed

Sep 30, 2021, 3:10:59 AM9/30/21
micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Charlie+ <cha...@xxx.net> wrote
>>> micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com> wrote

>>> Probably a plastic sleeve bearing , quick fix would be to tigten it up a
>>> bit by stuffing a plastic or wood shaving up the bearing padding out the
>>> fitting a bit.
>
> It's a perfect fit. There's no room to stuff anything in. It's not what
> I'd call a bearing, it's just a hole in the plastic.
>
>>> Or if you never want it to move again then wick some
>>> superglue or Loctite (as another poster suggests) into
>>> the vertical bearing C+
>>
>>There isn't just one Loctite, some just increase the friction,
>
> I looked at the Loctite page and didn't see anything to increase
> friction. Do you know what it is called, or used to be called???

Fraid not, someone said that in a usenet group when the Loctite
came up. I never had a need for that myself, I just remembered
the comment. I agree, the Loctite web site is fucked.

> Loctite has separate sections for different countries including the
> US and Australia. Also consumer and industrial.
>

> I also googled increase friction and liquid increase friction
> and got technical pages about friction in general but no products.

It isn't a liquid once it sets, that is likely the problem.

> Charlie, do you know one? Even if it's expensive**. Do you know what
> such a thing is called, some special terms. (I presume C+ is your
> signature and not a product. )
>

> **A new sunvisor is $205 and they don't have my color, unless ivory is
> the same as tan. A used sunvisor will likely have the same problem.

Not necessarily. One that doesn't get used much
may well be fine with a decent brand like Toyota.

Xeno

Sep 30, 2021, 4:15:16 AM9/30/21
Understand but getting the liquid into where it is needed, much less
spreading it around a little, is the difficult part. I had a look at my
Toyota visor and I couldn't see how I could easily get anything in where
it is needed. The friction device isn't necessarily right out near the
end of the support rod and could even be at the inner end but far away
from the rod access point. Used would be the way to go if new is $200+.

Peeler

Sep 30, 2021, 4:17:49 AM9/30/21
On Thu, 30 Sep 2021 17:02:42 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID: <g4t0jt...@mid.individual.net>

Peeler

Sep 30, 2021, 4:18:49 AM9/30/21
On Thu, 30 Sep 2021 17:10:51 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Rod Speed

Sep 30, 2021, 5:47:23 AM9/30/21
Xeno <xeno...@optusnet.com.au> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Xeno <xeno...@optusnet.com.au> wrote
>>> micky wrote
Nope, that’s why its liquid initially. Same approach is used with glues.

> I had a look at my Toyota visor and I couldn't see how I could easily get
> anything in where it is needed.

Trivial if its liquid initially.

> The friction device isn't necessarily right out near the end of the
> support rod and could even be at the inner end but far away from the rod
> access point.

There isn't necessarily any friction device, just
the metal rod rotating inside a cylinder.

> Used would be the way to go if new is $200+.

Yep.

micky

Sep 30, 2021, 6:43:59 AM9/30/21
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 30 Sep 2021 18:15:07 +1000, Xeno
<xeno...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>> Its only liquid till it sets with the friction increase loctites.
>
>Understand but getting the liquid into where it is needed, much less
>spreading it around a little, is the difficult part. I had a look at my

Yes, I've definitely thought about that, and I don't know what would
happen.

>Toyota visor and I couldn't see how I could easily get anything in where
>it is needed. The friction device isn't necessarily right out near the
>end of the support rod and could even be at the inner end but far away
>from the rod access point. Used would be the way to go if new is $200+.

The trouble is that used is used, and this is a part that wears out.
Even if the yard doesn't want to sell a bad one, it could be good now
and bad 5000 miles from now. Plus once it's removed from the car, one
can't tell how tight the pivot is, and even when it's in the car, one
can't tell unless he drives it and turns left. And junk yards don't do
that.

Plus carparts.com I think it is had several for my model that are black
or ivory, and several with no color specified -- so I could call each
one and ask -- but none marked tan. I thought tan was a popular color
for these car interiors, but maybe not.

Peeler

Sep 30, 2021, 9:46:02 AM9/30/21
On Thu, 30 Sep 2021 19:47:14 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

WTF are you doing in humans-only ngs, you abnormal trolling senile pig from
Oz?

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"