two stroke oil substitute

Bugsy

Jul 2, 2022, 4:17:20 PM7/2/22
In a pinch, for something like a weed wacker or backpack blower or chain
saw, can automotive synthetic motor oil be used in place of two-stroke oil?

What's the difference between two-stroke oil and regular motor oil anyway?
--
Please wear your mask!
Bugs are everywhere. :)

micky

Jul 2, 2022, 6:22:49 PM7/2/22
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 2 Jul 2022 21:17:38 +0100, Bugsy
<bu...@zimage.comBUGSY> wrote:

>In a pinch, for something like a weed wacker or backpack blower or chain
>saw, can automotive synthetic motor oil be used in place of two-stroke oil?
>
>What's the difference between two-stroke oil and regular motor oil anyway?

Two strokes.

Xeno

Jul 2, 2022, 10:34:45 PM7/2/22
On 3/7/2022 6:17 am, Bugsy wrote:
> In a pinch, for something like a weed wacker or backpack blower or chain
> saw, can automotive synthetic motor oil be used in place of two-stroke oil?
>
> What's the difference between two-stroke oil and regular motor oil anyway?

Supposedly produce less soot and carbon to gunk up the combustion
chamber and exhaust port.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Ken Olson

Jul 2, 2022, 11:36:24 PM7/2/22
On 7/2/2022 10:34 PM, Xeno wrote:
> On 3/7/2022 6:17 am, Bugsy wrote:
>> In a pinch, for something like a weed wacker or backpack blower or chain
>> saw, can automotive synthetic motor oil be used in place of two-stroke
>> oil?
>>
>> What's the difference between two-stroke oil and regular motor oil
>> anyway?
>
> Supposedly produce less soot and carbon to gunk up the combustion
> chamber and exhaust port.

If you're going to run anything but 2-stroke oil I'd only do it in an
emergency.

--
ÄLSKAR - Fänga Dagen

Слава Україні та НАТО

John Robertson

Jul 3, 2022, 10:31:40 AM7/3/22
On 2022/07/02 9:36 pm, Ken Olson wrote:

> If you're going to run anything but 2-stroke oil I'd only do it in an
> emergency.

That's good advice to do what you're told for anyone who is clueless but
what's actually in the 30-weight non detergent oil that's not in the
2-stroke oil that matters to a small air-cooled engine is the question.
John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Jul 3, 2022, 10:55:54 AM7/3/22
On Sun, 3 Jul 2022 at 12:43:12, Snag <snag...@msn.com> wrote:
(my responses usually follow points raised):
>>> Check your owner's manual.  My two stroke weed wacker said straight 30
>>> weight no detergent motor oil was fine, but you'll want to check your
>>> own model's manual.
>>
>> Non-detergent 30W oil is hard to find.
>
> I know of 3 places here that carry it ... and this is a small town of
> 4,000 population .

I think the question is one of emergency as not everyone lives within 25
miles of a store that sells motor oil. I certainly don't.

Looking it up, this says that you can (but not everything on the Internet
is correct of course. https://theyardandgarden.com/2-stroke-oil-substitute/

It says the motor oil pollutes a bit more than 2-stroke oil might, and it
recommends the heavier 10W40 over the lighter 10W30 high temp viscosity but
it says there may be more carbon buildup as a result of the four stroke oil
additives (the larger viscosity spread has more additives to make it so).

It also says vegetable oil works as long as the engine stays warm most of
the time as it "solidifies when it gets cold" (luckily you usually use it
all up in one sitting and you can empty out the little left if any).

It says homemade 2-stroke oil can be ethanol and grease but it doesn't say
the concentration so that's not all that much helpful.

It says not to use transmission fluid though as it's not a lubricant.

It says the purpose of the oil is to [a] mix with the gas, and [b]
lubricate the piston, and [c] burn off cleanly.

mike

Jul 3, 2022, 11:12:40 AM7/3/22
On 03-07-2022 11:40 Charlie+ <cha...@xxx.net> wrote:

> Technical differences you'll have to research, and good luck with that!
> The oil companies are secretive!

I agree with Charlie+ because the oil manufacturers probably have bigger
advertising budgets than their manufacturing budgets because in the end
it's all probably the same stuff.

But how would we know what makes oil coming out of the ground into
something labeled as "the best two stroke oil in the world" on the bottle?

> SAE30 single standard MINERAL oil

Is SAE30 no detergent oil the same as "mineral oil"?
I thought mineral oil (like the stuff at the pharmacy) is different?

> SAE30 single standard MINERAL oil was always used before the market-ers
> got at it in the 1980s (NOT MULTI SAE oils)!

I also thought that up until recently people mixed regular non-detergent
single weight oils into the gasoline at a 30/40/50:1 ratio and it worked.

> Thats what I always use in
> any twostroke that doesnt specify 2T synthetics, eg. more modern super
> high performance motorcycle 2T engines.

What are "2T synthetics?"
Answering my own question is Mr. W:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-stroke_oil

2T just means "two stroke" but maybe not as the first sentence was so
confusing that I started wondering if I knew what a two-stroke engine is!
"Unlike a four-stroke engine, whose crankcase is closed except for its
ventilation system, a two-stroke engine uses the crankcase as part of the
induction tract"

Huh?
What is that sentence saying?

I always thought a two stroke was all about the number of strokes, and not
about using the "crankcase as part of the induction tract" (whatever that
means).

> The advice from long ago was to never use the multi grade nn-W-nn oils
> because of the synthetic gloop additives used to achieve the multigrade
> characteristics and the same applies to the synthetic 2T oils (which are
> usually thin and pump-metered to the engines from a separate tank) and
> very pricey.

I agree they must put some kind of "gloop additive" to get that spread
between cold and hot viscosity which probably isn't good for the engine
(whether it's a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke engine) when it heat carbonizes.

The advertisers only tell you the good stuff but they never tell you the
bad stuff where there must be "more gloop additive" to make the spread
wider and that means more bad carbonization at the same time.

> SAE30 mineral is still available - I have to get it by the 5L. C+

I've seen clear mineral oil sold in the pharmacy for drinking as a
laxative. Is that the same stuff?

mike

Jul 3, 2022, 11:20:01 AM7/3/22
On 03-07-2022 08:04 Xeno <xeno...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>> What's the difference between two-stroke oil and regular motor oil anyway?
>
> Supposedly produce less soot and carbon to gunk up the combustion
> chamber and exhaust port.

I wonder if it matters.........

I don't know the answer to the question so I went to Mr WP to ask.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-stroke_oil

"Comparing regular lubricating oil with two-stroke oil, the relevant
difference is that two-stroke oil must have a much lower ash content. This
is required to minimize deposits that tend to form if ash is present in the
oil which is burned in the engine's combustion chamber. Additionally a
non-2T-specific oil can turn to gum in a matter of days if mixed with
gasoline and not immediately consumed. Another important factor is that
four-stroke engines have a different requirement for 'stickiness' than
two-strokes do."

To summarize that better, it looks like.
1. Lower ash in 2T oil (but for emergencies, why would you care?)
2. Gum up in days (again, why would you care as you'd throw it out)
3. Stickiness? (they don't say if this matters or not)

Frank

Jul 3, 2022, 11:40:53 AM7/3/22
I suspect it would be better than motor oil as motor oil contains a lot
of additives. Motor oil is not made to be burned and when it does
deposits will build up. Just reading that older additives with
phosphorus and zinc have been phased out as they degrade catalytic
converter function.

I do not know what they put in two stroke oil but recall years ago
buying a cheap gallon of it to use in my Lawn-boy mower and it was very
finicky in not liking it. Their brand oil had no problem.

Beeper

Jul 3, 2022, 11:48:33 AM7/3/22
A two-stroke engine uses the crankcase during the intake stroke as
illustrated by this animation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-stroke_engine

rbowman

Jul 3, 2022, 12:36:32 PM7/3/22
On 07/03/2022 08:56 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> It also says vegetable oil works as long as the engine stays warm most of
> the time as it "solidifies when it gets cold" (luckily you usually use it
> all up in one sitting and you can empty out the little left if any).

Bring on the castor oil...

Wade Garrett

Jul 3, 2022, 1:08:35 PM7/3/22
Hell, if vegetable oil will work, why not chicken fat ;-)

Wade Garrett

Jul 3, 2022, 1:20:09 PM7/3/22
On 7/3/22 10:56 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
Echo brand owner's manuals and product literature say their 2 stroke
power equipment (leaf blowers, chain saws, etc.) need oil that meets
ISO-L-EGD, JASO FD specs.

Curious how few of the 2 cycle oil brands list what specs are met on
their packaging/containers whereas most automotive motor oils do.

Peeler

Jul 3, 2022, 2:04:52 PM7/3/22
On Sun, 3 Jul 2022 10:36:26 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> Bring on the castor oil...

You mean for yet more diarrhea of the mouth from you? No, no, no!

--
Yet more of the very interesting senile blather by lowbrowwoman:
"My family loaded me into a '51 Chevy and drove from NY to Seattle and

mike

Jul 3, 2022, 3:31:35 PM7/3/22
On 03-07-2022 22:50 Wade Garrett <wa...@cooler.net> wrote:

> Echo brand owner's manuals and product literature say their 2 stroke
> power equipment (leaf blowers, chain saws, etc.) need oil that meets
> ISO-L-EGD, JASO FD specs.
>
> Curious how few of the 2 cycle oil brands list what specs are met on
> their packaging/containers whereas most automotive motor oils do.

Found this 40-min video about two stroke oils from an Echo Product Manager.

2-Stroke Oil: Explained (by Jason Wilk, Echo Product Manager)
https://youtu.be/pG8JS9ANi8o

He says the quality differences are in
1. Lubrication
2. Cleaning
3. Smoke

Jason Wilk says it all starts out the same bubbling out of the ground.
He says the difference is the additives used in the oil.
I'm not sure what he's selling so here's another one to compare with.

2 Stroke Oils Explained
https://youtu.be/tcSDNZohzfM

mike

Jul 3, 2022, 3:34:39 PM7/3/22
Oil is oil which is dead dino juice bubbling out of the ground, but I, for
one, like to question the differences to see if they make sense.

Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't.

For example, there's a difference between blue and green dish detergent but
does it matter? Not for doing dishes, right?

Yet, there's a difference between dish detergent and laundry detergent, and
beleive you me it matters (yes, I've done it... and don't ask how long it
took to get all that suds out of the washing machine after the 20F code!).

Somtimes it matters. Sometimes it's just advertising. Lots and lots of ads.

Take Techron advertising. Does Techron matter? Not really. Especially not
if you use https://toptiergas.com/ gasolines (which are everywhere).

What happens if you do not use https://toptiergas.com/ in a pinch?
Nothing. Right?

Same with using 87AKI gasoline rather than 91AKI in a pinch (especially
with knock sensors in all modern engines). Does it matter in a pinch?

Not really.
But the question is whether it matters to substitute motor oil for 2T oil.
Does it matter?

Searching if it matters, brought me here.
https://www.homesteadingtoday.com/threads/regular-30-w-motor-oil-in-a-2-stroke-fuel-mixture.606558/

Which brought me to Mr. YT. https://youtu.be/c4J76MgdyQc
Will 4-stroke oil damage a 2-stroke engine? Let's find out!

Haven't listened to them yet as I have to run but this was also nearby.
https://youtu.be/EZG6EBakNfs
Cheap 2-Stroke Oil Better? Let's find out! Amsoil vs SuperTech 2-Cycle Oil.

His tests may tell us what really matters when testing 2T oil.
At the same YT page are these which seem to be useful for the question.

What To Use If You Run Out Of 2 Cycle Oil
https://youtu.be/hEMm5cWmh-w

Will Vegetable Oil work as Engine Oil? Let's find out!
https://youtu.be/sbPxLm21gek

Can You Use Cooking Oil Instead Of 2-Stroke Oil? - RustySkull Productions
https://youtu.be/FKwM-CmBYFQ

2 cycle engine runs on vegetable oil
https://youtu.be/bMBpaNO0Aps

Can You Use Used 4 Stroke Oil in a 2 Stroke Engine?
https://youtu.be/amXq5NaY9AU

Running a 2 stroke on diesel fuel!
https://youtu.be/PVrb-gkIGeY

Free 2-stroke oil secret!
https://youtu.be/TOCnDczYvw4

Re-use your waste fry oil in a 2 stroke engine.
https://youtu.be/vLyXghhzKkg

Some of those are from reliable people.
The others, I can't say.

mike

Jul 3, 2022, 4:15:15 PM7/3/22
On 03-07-2022 02:14 Snag <snag...@msn.com> wrote:

> The difference is the residue left after that oil burns and the
> additive package . Modern 2 strokes are finely tuned high performance
> machines and they need the specific additives in the right base oil .
> Cheap out on the oil and you're going to be buying a new unit .

Project Farm tests that stuff in the real world for you.
In his short term tests, he found no meaningful differences.

Will 4-stroke oil damage a 2-stroke engine? Let's find out!
Project Farm: https://youtu.be/c4J76MgdyQc

He tested Mobil 1 10W40 full synthetic, Valvoline conventional 10W30 & Echo
2-stroke oil in his engine while running a 32-ounce tankful while checking
for smoke, vibration & temperature & looking at the plugs & cylinder bore.

He also ran a small bicycle engine for about an hour and popped the head
off, and found it to not be all that much different in those tests too.

Of course, it's always better to have two stroke oil on the shelf so you
don't have to use motor oil in place of the two stroke oil in an emergency.

But which one?

Cheap 2-Stroke Oil Better? Let's find out! Amsoil vs SuperTech 2-Cycle Oil.
Project Farm: https://youtu.be/EZG6EBakNfs

He had the used oil tested at an oil testing lab after testing for
corrosion, film strength, flash point, ash level, smoke, hydrocarbons,
compression, cylinder head and exhaust gas temperature, spark plug
carbonization, cylinder head carbonization.

AmSoil synthetic did slightly better than SuperTech conventional oil on
carbon buildup - and AmSoil did MUCH better on corrosion. The AmSoil engine
was about 10 to 20 degrees cooler. But Amsoil left more residue.

The rest was about the same.
The question is whether that tiny difference is worth the 4x cost.

Scott Dorsey

Jul 4, 2022, 3:08:31 AM7/4/22
John Robertson <sp...@flippers.com> wrote:
>On 2022/07/02 9:36 pm, Ken Olson wrote:
>
>> If you're going to run anything but 2-stroke oil I'd only do it in an
>> emergency.
>
>That's good advice to do what you're told for anyone who is clueless but
>what's actually in the 30-weight non detergent oil that's not in the
>2-stroke oil that matters to a small air-cooled engine is the question.

Paraffins that won't burn cleanly. So you'll cloud the neighborhood with
stinky smoke and have to clean the cylinder afterward. After you finish
mowing the lawn you'll have to clean the windows too.
--scott

mike

Jul 4, 2022, 11:10:45 AM7/4/22
On 04-07-2022 07:08 Scott Dorsey <klu...@panix.com> wrote:

>>> If you're going to run anything but 2-stroke oil I'd only do it in an
>>> emergency.
>>
>>That's good advice to do what you're told for anyone who is clueless but
>>what's actually in the 30-weight non detergent oil that's not in the
>>2-stroke oil that matters to a small air-cooled engine is the question.
>
> Paraffins that won't burn cleanly. So you'll cloud the neighborhood with
> stinky smoke and have to clean the cylinder afterward. After you finish
> mowing the lawn you'll have to clean the windows too.

You're right, but way over the top added drama since the tiny bit of extra
smoke doesn't matter as "dramatically" as you're trying to make it matter.

The op isn't asking to use 4-stroke oil all the time but just in a pinch.
Say you're miles from a hardware store and you run out of two-stroke oil.

You shouldn't have to give up and drive fifty miles (which causes even MORE
pollution) just to get the "right" oil when the "wrong" oil works fine (see
all the references I already quoted which tested them all).

The tests I reported elsewhere show that the 4-stroke motor oil used as
2-stroke gas/oil mixture did burn less cleanly by a tiny bit, which if
EVERYONE did, would add to pollution. They also showed almost no difference
in cylinder/piston wear and the same with combustion deposits.

The verdict is that, in a pinch, almost anything works as well as
two-stroke oil, but most people would try to keep it on hand.

You're being too dramatic given there's really no major difference, sort of
like if you used brown sugar in a chocolate cake versus white refined sugar
or regular salt instead of kosher salt in a vegetable dish.

There is really no need for drama.

The teeny tiny bit of extra pollution from using a chainsaw with the 'wrong
oil' in an emergency is nowhere near the pollution of a single campfire.

rbowman

Jul 4, 2022, 1:16:07 PM7/4/22
On 07/04/2022 09:11 AM, mike wrote:

>>> That's good advice to do what you're told for anyone who is clueless but
>>> what's actually in the 30-weight non detergent oil that's not in the
>>> 2-stroke oil that matters to a small air-cooled engine is the question.
>>
>> Paraffins that won't burn cleanly. So you'll cloud the neighborhood with
>> stinky smoke and have to clean the cylinder afterward. After you finish
>> mowing the lawn you'll have to clean the windows too.
>
> You're right, but way over the top added drama since the tiny bit of extra
> smoke doesn't matter as "dramatically" as you're trying to make it matter.

Back when a Saab 96 doubled as a mosquito fogger a little smoke wasn't
high drama.

Peeler

Jul 4, 2022, 1:50:10 PM7/4/22
On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 11:16:02 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> Back when a Saab 96 doubled as a mosquito fogger a little smoke wasn't
> high drama.

But every little sentence of yours is ALWAYS full of drama, you ridiculous
grandiloquent drama queen.

--
Yet more absolutely idiotic senile blather by lowbrowwoman:
"I save my fries quota for one of the local food trucks that offers