spare tyre locations (sedans)

Woozy Song

Aug 9, 2023, 2:23:05 AM8/9/23
I recall until about the 1990s, that the spare tyre was stored upright
in the trunk/boot behind the wheel arch. So was quite convenient to get
out. But modern vehicles have it in a well, so one has to unload all the
crap on top of it. I guess this is due to some safety standard after
a steel rim went through the back seat in a crash?

Xeno

Aug 9, 2023, 4:20:33 AM8/9/23
I haven't seen spare tyres stored upright since the 50s. Most have been
stored horizontally in a well or hung horizontally on a carrier under
the rear.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Woozy Song

Aug 9, 2023, 8:33:26 PM8/9/23
Xeno wrote:

> I haven't seen spare tyres stored upright since the 50s. Most have been
> stored horizontally in a well or hung horizontally on a carrier under
> the rear.

Opel in Europe had it much later than that:

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2000_Opel_Omega_GLS_2.2L_4_Cyl./tires_and_wheels/change_a_flat_tire

Xeno

Aug 10, 2023, 4:26:01 AM8/10/23
Well, that explains it. I'm not in Europe and Opel is an unknown brand
here.

Michael Trew

Aug 21, 2023, 11:28:48 AM8/21/23
On 8/10/2023 4:25 AM, Xeno wrote:
> On 10/8/2023 10:33 am, Woozy Song wrote:
>> Xeno wrote:
>>>>
>>> I haven't seen spare tyres stored upright since the 50s. Most have
>>> been stored horizontally in a well or hung horizontally on a carrier
>>> under the rear.
>>>
>> Opel in Europe had it much later than that:
>>
>> https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2000_Opel_Omega_GLS_2.2L_4_Cyl./tires_and_wheels/change_a_flat_tire
>>

> Well, that explains it. I'm not in Europe and Opel is an unknown brand
> here.

My 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser (Sierra wagon) has an upright spare
tire behind a plastic panel, behind the rear passenger wheel in the
hatchback. The rear floor folds up into a third row seat; no room for a
spare tire in a station wagon.