What is woven metal mesh on exhaustpipe for ?

Steve Cutchen

Feb 8, 1995, 5:10:42 PM2/8/95
Mike Skinner, ski...@aurxc8aur.alcatel.com writes:
>On my 1988 Toyota Tercel, just ahead of the
>catalytic converter, is a piece of closely
>woven steel mesh surrounding the exhaust pipe.
>What is this for? Is it to form a flexible link
>between the exhaust pipe and the cat converter?

Yup... This flexhose issolates the exhaust system from the engine as it
rocks on it's mounts.

>If so, why won't exhaust leak through the mesh (or is
>it supposed to)?

The steel banding you see is the reinforcement portion of the flexhose. The
internals are not stranded.

---Steve

--------
Steve Cutchen If we always do what we've always done,
scut...@arco.com we'll always get what we've always got...

Mike Skinner

Max_Natzet

Feb 14, 1995, 1:37:01 AM2/14/95

I've got one of these things on my MR2. Its a heat shield for the exhaust
pipe underneath.

Max Natzet, Combat Botanist
NASA/Wallops Facility
E-Mail: Max_N...@CCMail.GSFC.NASA.GOV

Allan Hill

Feb 14, 1995, 8:59:15 PM2/14/95
In article <3hiuc1$s...@newsreader.wustl.edu>, m...@artsci.wustl.edu (Matt Lundberg) says:

>In article <3hb2i1$1...@aurns1.aur.alcatel.com>,
>I've not seen one of these installed from the factory, but aftermarket
>shops seem to use them all the time for FWD applications. The rotation
>of the engine (in a FWD only) places great stresses on the pipe if there
>is no give. OEM pipes are often held in place with springs, but maybe
>the Tercel didn't come with these.
>
>Do they leak? I asked the same question of the shop owner where I
>first saw these things (hanging on the wall) and he said that they
>didn't. I did not closely inspect one, and certainly didn't apply
>pressure to one to see if it did indeed not leak.
>
>--
>Matthew Lundberg m...@math.wustl.edu
>Washington University,
>Dept. of Mathematics "You'll PAY to know what you REALLY think"
>St. Louis, MO 63130 Dobbs, 1961

The woven mesh is just a flexable section of exhaust pipe to allow
for engine movement. I dont know how it works but it is not
supposed to leak. Some front drive cars ( laser's ) in
australia come standard with these.

Dont run without it if it came standard. You'll crack the
exhaust for sure ( from expirence ).

Allan Hill - allan.a...@msm.bhp.com.au
THERE'S NOTHING QUITE LIKE A V8 HOLDEN UTE !

Cougar

Feb 15, 1995, 7:37:09 PM2/15/95
In article <3hb2i1$1...@aurns1.aur.alcatel.com> ski...@aurxc8aur.alcatel.com (Mike Skinner) writes:

Probably for heat dissipation.

-Cougar
| Dan Neuwirth, Symantec Peter Norton Group, Engineering Department |
| 2500 Broadway, Suite 200 Santa Monica, CA 90404 USA |
| From our Tech support Archives: "Yes sirree! The cursor just jumped out of |
| my monitor, ran across the floor, and now it's hiding behind my couch..." |
| Tech: "...Sir, I'll have what you're having!" |
| '91 5.0L Mustang LX Hatchback "Smokey" '94 Saturn SL2m "Topaz" |
| GCS -d+ H++ s+ g+ p? au+ a23 w v C++ N++ K- W++ M-- po+ t+ 5 j tv b- D+ |
| B-- e -u h--- f+ r+++ n+ y+++ < GC 2.1 > |

Matt Lundberg

Feb 11, 1995, 1:06:57 PM2/11/95
Mike Skinner <ski...@aurxc8aur.alcatel.com> wrote:

I've not seen one of these installed from the factory, but aftermarket

Ohia Boy

Feb 18, 1995, 10:37:36 PM2/18/95
The purpose is to allow the engine to flex on its mounts without twisting
the exhaust pipe. It is used on FWD vehicle as RWD typicaly don't have
this problem since the engine is not transversely mounted. And no, it
should not leak.

Bill White

Enzo Brutesco

Feb 20, 1995, 8:13:15 PM2/20/95
Mike Skinner (ski...@aurxc8aur.alcatel.com) wrote:
: On my 1988 Toyota Tercel, just ahead of the

When you excellerate the engine tends to rotate. If there wasn't any
flexiable joint it weaken the piping and eventually break.
Some cars have a donut type of connection. This connection allows the
joint to slop and slide as the engin tries to rotate.
Now if you had a rear wheel drive you wouldn't need one of these
joints because now the whole exhaust system can take the rotation.
Enzo Brutesco Email: enzo_b...@Mitel.COM
Integration Management
Mitel Corporation Disclaimer: My opinions are my own!

OCodsack

Feb 21, 1995, 9:26:44 PM2/21/95
Ah, with all these answers and nobody really answered all of your
question. Yes, the coupling allows the engine to rock fore and aft and
without dragging the exhaust along. But it doesn't leak because the
braided part covers a (usually) stainless bellows that does the actual
flexing. The overbraid protects this bellows from rocks & debris (it is
fairly thin) and limits the amout of travel so that it doesn't break.

Ken

Bob Mahoney

Feb 23, 1995, 7:33:09 AM2/23/95
OCodsack (ocod...@aol.com) wrote:
: Ah, with all these answers and nobody really answered all of your

One other "feature" of this type of pipe is the big increase in cost it
adds to exhaust system replacement. If you are looking at an old car
(like an '85 Accord), make sure you check the exhaust system and make it
part of the deal - if the car needs a new exhaust, you'll pay more then
$150 just for the flex pipe!
bob

Charlie Kaiser

Feb 25, 1995, 10:40:17 PM2/25/95
Cougar (dneu...@symantec.com) wrote:

: In article <3hb2i1$1...@aurns1.aur.alcatel.com> ski...@aurxc8aur.alcatel.com (Mike Skinner) writes:
: >On my 1988 Toyota Tercel, just ahead of the
: >catalytic converter, is a piece of closely
: >woven steel mesh surrounding the exhaust pipe.
: >What is this for? Is it to form a flexible link
: >between the exhaust pipe and the cat converter?
: >If so, why won't exhaust leak through the mesh (or is
: >it supposed to)?
: >
: >

: Probably for heat dissipation.
Actually, that mesh is a flex joint designed to accomodate the
foreward/backward movement of a transverse engine on accel/decel. It's
tight enough to prevent leaks, at least until it wears out.
Charlie Kaiser ASE Master tech
char...@ccnet.com

Hyme2

Mar 1, 1995, 12:21:17 AM3/1/95
I am a toyota tech. toyoya uses these header pipes on all their FWD cars.
Inside the woven part of the pipe is a pipe with ridges the weave is there
to make the pipe stronger because the engine flexes so much.
hope this helps.

Russ

joan.c...@webactivate.ie

Feb 20, 2017, 3:39:04 PM2/20/17
Love it :)
You have a fantastic mind. They said "Impossible" and I got sick lol!
So I decided to fight for my car 92 Toyota Corsa, Yes she does exist ;)
When I got under the car, I seen the blowhole come out of, only what I could describe as a mesh part on the exhaust. Thanks for flexi ;)
Can I call on you again Please ;)

seclov...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2020, 5:17:11 PM3/27/20
Just thought you guys would be happy to know that here in the future (2020), your answers just helped me tremendously.... THANK YOUS!!!

leigh shelton

May 16, 2022, 5:19:06 PM5/16/22
does it dissipate heat from the flexi-pipe. it cant be cheap putting this mesh over to protect stainless steel flexi-pipe and companies making millions of these mesh sleaves cant be doing it for nothing. the mesh is often not really that strong and comes loose at each end.