Where do you get door glass for a 1996 vehicle?

Oscar Mayer

Jul 26, 2023, 12:26:05 PM7/26/23
Apparently Toyota doesn't make the glass anymore.

The front passenger side door glass is called "green".
The bonded rear quarter glass is called "gray" (no antenna).

68101-35150 Right (passenger side) front door glass (green)
62740-35010 Left (driver side) quarter glass, no antenna (gray)

Someone smashed both windows to steal stuff inside.

The Carid price is horrendously high.
$529.41
https://www.carid.com/toyota-oe/rear-left-quarter-glass-mpn-6274035010.html

$227.15
https://www.carid.com/toyota-oe/front-right-door-glass-mpn-6810135150.html

The Toyota prices don't matter because nobody can get them at any price.
$669.21
https://parts.familytoyotaofburleson.com/oem-parts/toyota-quarter-glass-6274035010
https://parts.familytoyotaofburleson.com/oem-parts/toyota-door-glass-6810135150

Any idea what is a good source for glass at a much lower price?

retired1

Jul 26, 2023, 12:52:46 PM7/26/23
Local scrapyard. Do a search here

https://www.car-part.com/index.htm

Scott Lurndal

Jul 26, 2023, 1:05:43 PM7/26/23
Pick-a-part.

Scott Dorsey

Jul 26, 2023, 1:43:06 PM7/26/23
Oscar Mayer <nob...@oscarmayer.com> wrote:

>Any idea what is a good source for glass at a much lower price?

Try a junkyard, have them look on their online service.

But most good glass shops should be able to make one up custom. How much
that will cost, I don't know, but one phone call will reveal that information.
--scott

root

Jul 26, 2023, 3:56:41 PM7/26/23
Scott Dorsey <klu...@panix.com> wrote:
> Oscar Mayer <nob...@oscarmayer.com> wrote:
>>
>>Any idea what is a good source for glass at a much lower price?
>
> Try a junkyard, have them look on their online service.
>
> But most good glass shops should be able to make one up custom. How much
> that will cost, I don't know, but one phone call will reveal that information.
> --scott

You can do your own online-search and choose from dozens of
junkyards all across the country. Generally after picking
a yard you have to call to get the shipping cost.

micky

Jul 26, 2023, 8:43:43 PM7/26/23
In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 26 Jul 2023 12:52:32 -0400, retired1
<ret...@home.usa> wrote:

>On 7/26/23 12:26 PM, Oscar Mayer wrote:
>> Apparently Toyota doesn't make the glass anymore.
>>
>> The front passenger side door glass is called "green".
>> The bonded rear quarter glass is called "gray" (no antenna).
>>
>> 68101-35150 Right (passenger side) front door glass (green)
>> 62740-35010 Left (driver side) quarter glass, no antenna (gray)
>> Someone smashed both windows to steal stuff inside.

That was pretty thoughtless. One window should have been enough.

It's good not to leave the slightest thing showing because sometimes
they'll think something is worth more than it is and break in even when
there is nothing worth taking. DAMHIKT

>> The Carid price is horrendously high.
>> $529.41
>> https://www.carid.com/toyota-oe/rear-left-quarter-glass-mpn-6274035010.html
>> $227.15
>> https://www.carid.com/toyota-oe/front-right-door-glass-mpn-6810135150.html
>>
>> The Toyota prices don't matter because nobody can get them at any price.
>> $669.21
>> https://parts.familytoyotaofburleson.com/oem-parts/toyota-quarter-glass-6274035010 https://parts.familytoyotaofburleson.com/oem-parts/toyota-door-glass-6810135150
>>
>> Any idea what is a good source for glass at a much lower price?
>
>Local scrapyard. Do a search here
>
>https://www.car-part.com/index.htm

car-part is good but there other good ones too.

OP If you can find a local junk yard with the same model as yours, it's
convenient for lots of little parts too, as time goes on.

But if not, they all ship.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=used+car+parts
Should have the same listings as suto junkyards

Probably https://www.lkqonline.com/

Even Ebay, though since you need two things it would be better to find
gthem both at the same yard.

Bob F

Jul 26, 2023, 8:52:20 PM7/26/23
On 7/26/2023 5:43 PM, micky wrote:
> In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 26 Jul 2023 12:52:32 -0400, retired1
> <ret...@home.usa> wrote:
>
>> On 7/26/23 12:26 PM, Oscar Mayer wrote:
>>> Apparently Toyota doesn't make the glass anymore.
>>>
>>> The front passenger side door glass is called "green".
>>> The bonded rear quarter glass is called "gray" (no antenna).
>>>
>>> 68101-35150 Right (passenger side) front door glass (green)
>>> 62740-35010 Left (driver side) quarter glass, no antenna (gray)
>>> Someone smashed both windows to steal stuff inside.
>
> That was pretty thoughtless. One window should have been enough.

I had a friend that had his radio stolen. They broke the drivers side
window to get in. A week later someone broke in through the passenger
side window. He was really pissed, since he still had not replaced the
drivers window.

micky

Jul 26, 2023, 9:14:31 PM7/26/23
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 26 Jul 2023 17:52:07 -0700, Bob F
Sort of related. First poster on NextDoor says someone is driving his
car every night, maybe a friend of his son. Another suggests he's using
it to drive for Uber. Then this woman writes:

Wow! Something similar happened to me years ago. Someone would get
into my car at night. I have a Plymouth Sundance which was also known
as the Dodge Shadow. There was no street parking where I lived, so you
had to pay to park in a city owned parking lot and every morning, I
would come out to my car and all of the windows would be rolled down!
It was the strangest thing. It wasn’t me and it wasn’t an electrical
malfunction since you had to manually crank the windows down. I believe
I was about 21 or 22 when this happened. I was scared to even get in
the car. My sister would come with me every morning so we could walk
around the car to make sure no one was hiding inside. I ended up taping
a note to the steering wheel. I wrote that “this was my first car and
the first car for my family and that we needed it. I can’t stop you
from getting inside but can you please stop leaving the windows down in
all types of weather because I need this car to take care of my family.”
Who ever was doing it, took the note and stole my emergency tool kit
from the trunk; but they never messed with my car again…to my
knowledge.??. So long story short, maybe a note will do the trick?

Bob F

Jul 26, 2023, 10:52:12 PM7/26/23
I talked to a guy once that told me about how he would lock his
motorcycle to a tree with a heavy chain because of lots of thefts in the
area. He came out one morning and found the motorcycle locked to a
different tree, with a note saying "If we want it, we'll take it".

Jim Joyce

Jul 26, 2023, 11:51:57 PM7/26/23
On Wed, 26 Jul 2023 19:51:58 -0700, Bob F <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I talked to a guy once that told me about how he would lock his
>motorcycle to a tree with a heavy chain because of lots of thefts in the
>area. He came out one morning and found the motorcycle locked to a
>different tree, with a note saying "If we want it, we'll take it".

I like stories about thieves with a sense of humor. It reminds me of the farmer
near where I grew up who had a problem with losing watermelons from his melon
patch so he put up a sign saying, "Steal at your own risk. One of these melons
has been injected with poison." When he came back a few days later, his sign had
been updated and now included the text, "Now two of your melons have been
poisoned."

Michael Trew

Jul 27, 2023, 12:20:17 AM7/27/23

AMuzi

Jul 27, 2023, 12:59:17 PM7/27/23
Did you check with a local auto glass installer? They have
resources you do not. Sometimes their glass installed is
cheaper than buying your own plus delivery.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

micky

Jul 27, 2023, 7:04:23 PM7/27/23
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 27 Jul 2023 11:59:19 -0500, AMuzi
+1

I have no experience with this, but the OP will not be the first guy
with an old car who needs glass replaced. The auto glass places with
have a way and a price.

Chris K-Man (Zickcermacity)

Aug 7, 2023, 7:45:54 AM8/7/23
Problem with searching yards online is that not all yards update their online
inventory expeditiously.

Best to call up several yards within one hour of ones location, and driving there
in person.