Toyota Camry cutting out

Mark Broomfield

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

I hava a 1989 Camry 2.0, built in Japan. Normally it runs
faultlessly, but sometimes in damp or rainy weather the engine
hesitates, and occasionally cuts out when driving off from rest.

My Toyota dealer has not been able to find the problem, the last time
I was told that it was due to faulty spark plugs!

Any ideas?

Mark Broomfield

William Darden

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

If a 2SE engine, you problem is probably faulty ignition pickup coil
in the base of your distributor.

Regards,

BiLL......

In article <3340bf8...@news.strath.ac.uk>, lks9...@strath.ac.uk
says...

Rick Jones

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97
to Mark Broomfield

Mark Broomfield wrote:

> I hava a 1989 Camry 2.0, built in Japan. Normally it runs
> faultlessly, but sometimes in damp or rainy weather the engine
> hesitates, and occasionally cuts out when driving off from rest.
>
> My Toyota dealer has not been able to find the problem, the last time
> I was told that it was due to faulty spark plugs!
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Mark Broomfield

Replace the ignition coil, do check the plug wires too, common on damp
days

--
Rick, Toyota Master/ASE Master/L-1/Republican/Ham Operator
Remove the asterick (*) from my address to reply

"Definition of a biggot"
A conservative winning an argument with a liberal.
*When they took the 4th amendment, I was silent because I don't Deal
drugs.
*When they took the 6th amendment, I was silent because I'am innocent.
*When they took the 2nd amendment, I was silent because I don't own a
firearm.
*Now they've come for the 1st amendment, and I can't say anything at
all.
*Politicians are the same all over, they promise to build a
bridge where there is no water. (seems I've heard this recently)
"Nikita Krushchev"
*A government that is big enough to give you all you want,
is big enough to take it all away.
*They have gun control in Cuba, they have universal health
care in Cuba, so why do they want to come to here?
*A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can be assured
of the support of Paul.
*One of the penalties for refusing to participate in
politics is being governed by your inferiors.
*An election is nothing more than an advanced auction
of stolen goods.
*I'am convinced we can do with guns what we have done with drugs,
create a multi-billion dollar underground
market which we have no control of.
*When you subsidize poverty and failure, you get more of both.
*MTV may talk about lighting fires and killing children, but
Janet Reno actually does something about it
Giving money and power to government is like giving
whiskey and car keys to teenage boys
P.J. O'Rourke

Mark Broomfield

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

On Tue, 01 Apr 1997 08:00:54 GMT, lks9...@strath.ac.uk (Mark
Broomfield) wrote:

>I hava a 1989 Camry 2.0, built in Japan. Normally it runs
>faultlessly, but sometimes in damp or rainy weather the engine
>hesitates, and occasionally cuts out when driving off from rest.
>
>My Toyota dealer has not been able to find the problem, the last time
>I was told that it was due to faulty spark plugs!
>
>Any ideas?
>

>Mark Broomfield

Thanks for all replies. I cleaned the coil (hidden inside the
distributer), this seemed to cure the fault.

I suspect that this is a design problem, the coil must get covered in
fine carbon dust which when damp acts as a conductor.

Mark Broomfield

Jack Stands.

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

I might add to all you folks that this does not just happen on hidden coils
but all ignition coils if the top has crap on it wont insulate properly and
electrical arcing is destructive. Easily cleaned
--
Free Automotive tech advice
Free Motor cycle tech advice

Mark Broomfield <lks9...@strath.ac.uk> wrote in article