Dexron VI ATF and Power Steering Fluid

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Mar 24, 2022, 5:28:55 AM3/24/22
Recently a visitor was low on power steering fluid which said on the cap
"power steering fluid" and all I had on hand was "Dexron VI" (which is my
Dexron IV replacement for my car) so I sent them on their way still low.

What's the difference between Dexron ATF & Power Steering Fluid anyway?

Michael Trew

Mar 24, 2022, 12:18:55 PM3/24/22
Older cars usually specify ATF in in the P/S reservoir.

Many newer cars specific much more specific fluids, and aren't as
forgiving. I don't think they'll destroy their P/S system, but it's
probably not good practice to use ATF in newer vehicles P/S systems.

Frank

Mar 24, 2022, 1:00:48 PM3/24/22
My reading of it says the same thing.

Michael Trew

Mar 24, 2022, 4:24:28 PM3/24/22
I have an '89 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera that really needs the P/S line
replaced. If I don't do that before it runs out again (at least once
per week), I will move on to using up old ATF bottles. I have a
unopened bottle of Dexron 2 here (with a Hill's price sticker) with that
car's name on it.

I would not think of doing the same in a late model vehicle.

AMuzi

Mar 25, 2022, 3:48:36 PM3/25/22
I see your logic but a new hose is cheaper than a new PS pump.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Michael Trew

Mar 25, 2022, 9:15:29 PM3/25/22
True, it needs to be done ASAP. The trouble is, with two jobs, when
time allows. I don't let it run low; if it starts to chatter, fill it up.

Xeno

Mar 25, 2022, 10:01:10 PM3/25/22
If it starts to chatter you are already doing damage to the pump. You
are allowing aeration which can lead to gaseous cavitation. You want to
avoid that. Check the level and top up more frequently and don't rely on
your ears to tell you the oil level is low, that's what dipsticks are for.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Bob F

Mar 26, 2022, 11:20:07 AM3/26/22
Have you purchased the replacement, and have it sitting there for when
you have spare moment?