Carb decision

1 view

Snag

Feb 24, 2022, 10:03:56 AM2/24/22
It kinda looks like I'm not going to find a 600/650cfm carb for my
305 build ... so I'm faced with deciding which of the 2 carburetors I
have on hand is going to be the best choice . I have a 750 Holley vac
secondary with manual choke that I've been told is too much carb for a
305 motor . My other choice is the stock Quadrajet , but I'm not sure it
will support the potential of the mods I'm doing to this motor . Another
negative for the quad is that I'll need to buy or fabricate an adapter
plate to mate it to the square pattern manifold I'm going to use . I
have rebuild kits for both units and time to decide , and who knows ,
that ideal carb might just fall into my hands before I need it !
--
Snag
My rights don't end

AMuzi

Feb 24, 2022, 3:19:52 PM2/24/22

Snag

Feb 24, 2022, 4:48:49 PM2/24/22
I guess I should have specified that I don't have 400 bucks to spend
... I'm looking for a rebuildable complete carb at minimum that I can
lay my hands on and inspect . Buying online is dicey , might end up with
a carb with the throttle shaft bores worn so bad it's unusable . I'm not
spending a c-note for a carb that looks like it spent the last 7 years
in a bucket half full of water .
I guess I'll drag out the greensand and make up a pattern for an
a-dapter plate . Got just the right alloy to cast one too .