Home Depot Exide 24F car battery warranty

andrew

Dec 18, 2021, 10:27:36 AM12/18/21
On the Home Depot web site is a 24F 750CCA Exide car battery.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Exide-SPRINTER-MAX-12-volts-Lead-Acid-6-Cell-24F-Group-Size-750-Cold-Cranking-Amps-BCI-Auto-Battery-SX24F/308488599
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exide

I bought it today but Home Depot didn't have any explanation of how the "3
years free warranty" works. There are Q&A's asking and the responses
conflict. Worse, they're incomplete.

I called Home Depot at 1-800-466-3337 and they referred me right back to
the useless Q&A (which conflicts, and who knows if it's correct because
it's not run by Home Depot but by the Internet).

Googling, I found multiple Exide executives already went to jail for
selling used Exide batteries as new Die Hard batteries at Sears in New
Jersey, so now it's even more pertinent to obtain the warranty information
(who knows if they're not still knowingly selling defective batteries as
new).
https://qconline.com/news/illinois/two-top-execs-sentenced-to-prison-in-exide-case/article_b4dd08e7-b8a3-585e-b369-27fa1da9a645.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/24/business/exide-will-pay-27-million-in-fraud-case.html

Have you ever brought an Exide battery back to Home Depot under warranty?
What documentation do they require? (the date stamped on the battery is
09/23/19)

Is the 3 years pro-rated?
If full (which it probably is), what happens if a new battery is more
money?

Do you get a free battery (even if the new one costs more in a year than
the old did today?)

Or do you pay the difference?
How does Home Depot determine the battery is bad?
Do they just take your word for it?
Do they require a mechanic's signature?

NONE of the information I need for the warranty is on the Home Depot web
site and when I called Home Depot they told me to ask on the web site
(which puts me into a useless endless circle).

Ralph Mowery

Dec 18, 2021, 10:43:38 AM12/18/21
In article <spkul2$1hjpd$1...@news.mixmin.net>, and...@nospammingme.com
says...

> On the Home Depot web site is a 24F 750CCA Exide car battery.
> https://www.homedepot.com/p/Exide-SPRINTER-MAX-12-volts-Lead-Acid-6-Cell-24F-Group-Size-750-Cold-Cranking-Amps-BCI-Auto-Battery-SX24F/308488599
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exide
>
> I bought it today but Home Depot didn't have any explanation of how the "3
> years free warranty" works. There are Q&A's asking and the responses
> conflict. Worse, they're incomplete.

Bought a Die Hard at the local auto parts store a few months back. They
have a 3 year free replacement . If it goes bad they are suppose to put
in a new one for free for you. Not prorated like some used to be in the
past.

Working my way through college I worked for Sears in the auto shop .
One night a man came in with a bad battery when I checked it. He was
all smiles for a while thinking he would get a new battery as he had the
paper work and had 2 months to go. Found out about the prorating.
Forgot the exect ammount he got off on a new battery,but it was less
than a dollar. That was around 1970.

The Real Bev

Dec 18, 2021, 1:25:10 PM12/18/21
Maybe 40 years ago we bought a lifetime Penney's battery for our 1960
Dodge van which made many trips across the country. The battery
eventually failed. Penney's by then had sold their auto parts business
to Firestone. I had to go to Penney's customer service to get my
warranty 'validated' or something before I could go to the Firestone
store to get a new battery.

Firestone said they'd have to check the van's charging system before
giving me a new battery. I pointed out the obvious and that there was
NOTHING in the warranty requiring that. I got a new battery.

Maybe 10 years later the battery was dead. Back to Penney's and the
Firestone store. They wanted to give me a new BETTER 3-year battery to
replace my 'lifetime' battery. I said no. Then they wanted to take my
warranty papers into the back room to make a copy. I said I'd be happy
to make the copy for them while they watched. They gave up. I got a
new battery.

We still have the van and I bet if I went back with the paperwork I'd
get a new battery. Lifetime means lifetime. Penney's sold the warranty
to Firestone, which is on the hook until they go belly-up.

--
Cheers, Bev
Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.

rbowman

Dec 18, 2021, 1:45:46 PM12/18/21
On 12/18/2021 08:27 AM, andrew wrote:
> Is the 3 years pro-rated?
> If full (which it probably is), what happens if a new battery is more
> money?

Yes.

> Do you get a free battery (even if the new one costs more in a year than
> the old did today?)

No.

Warranties on any expendable item like batteries or tires aren't going
to give you any free stuff. This isn't the US government.

Wade Garrett

Dec 18, 2021, 6:32:08 PM12/18/21
The language you're looking for is "free replacement within three years".

Your quote of "3 year free warranty" doesn't mean much except you'll
have a warranty for three years and you don't have to pay annually to
keep it in force. No wonder HD couldn't answer your question. The
*replacement terms* of a warranty are what is important.

Maybe the "warranty" you have for free is you get an exterior car wash
and a chocolate chip cookie when you come in with a kaput battery within
three years of purchase...but have to pay the then-current full price if
you want a new one from them.

You get the car wash and the cookie nio matter what you decide ;-)

--
The reason why Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the
naughty girls live

rbowman

Dec 18, 2021, 7:38:50 PM12/18/21
It's all in the fine print as they say. However the Product Overview on
the referenced page explicitly says '3-year free replacement'.

fos

Dec 18, 2021, 9:45:52 PM12/18/21
On 2021-12-18, andrew <and...@nospammingme.com> wrote:

> On the Home Depot web site is a 24F 750CCA Exide car battery.

Doesn't the word "Home" in Home Depot mean anything to anybody?

Is it really that difficult to Google "exide battery dealer near me" ?!

You don't go to an auto parts store to buy hardware, so why in the
actual fuck would anyone go to a hardware store to buy motor vehicle
parts?

--
f...@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

Bob F

Dec 18, 2021, 9:51:37 PM12/18/21
On 12/18/2021 6:45 PM, fos wrote:
> On 2021-12-18, andrew <and...@nospammingme.com> wrote:
>
>> On the Home Depot web site is a 24F 750CCA Exide car battery.
>
> Doesn't the word "Home" in Home Depot mean anything to anybody?
>
> Is it really that difficult to Google "exide battery dealer near me" ?!
>
> You don't go to an auto parts store to buy hardware, so why in the
> actual fuck would anyone go to a hardware store to buy motor vehicle
> parts?

Because they want one that is "aged to perfection"?

Rod Speed

Dec 18, 2021, 10:39:36 PM12/18/21
fos <f...@sdf.org> wrote
> andrew <and...@nospammingme.com> wrote

>> On the Home Depot web site is a 24F 750CCA Exide car battery.
>
> Doesn't the word "Home" in Home Depot mean anything to anybody?
>
> Is it really that difficult to Google "exide battery dealer near me" ?!
>
> You don't go to an auto parts store to buy hardware, so why in the
> actual fuck would anyone go to a hardware store to buy motor vehicle
> parts?

I buy anything where it is cheapest and most convenient for me.

Michael Trew

Dec 18, 2021, 11:23:21 PM12/18/21
On 12/18/2021 13:25, The Real Bev wrote:

> Maybe 40 years ago we bought a lifetime Penney's battery for our 1960
> Dodge van which made many trips across the country. The battery
> eventually failed. Penney's by then had sold their auto parts business
> to Firestone. I had to go to Penney's customer service to get my
> warranty 'validated' or something before I could go to the Firestone
> store to get a new battery.
>
> Firestone said they'd have to check the van's charging system before
> giving me a new battery. I pointed out the obvious and that there was
> NOTHING in the warranty requiring that. I got a new battery.
>
> Maybe 10 years later the battery was dead. Back to Penney's and the
> Firestone store. They wanted to give me a new BETTER 3-year battery to
> replace my 'lifetime' battery. I said no. Then they wanted to take my
> warranty papers into the back room to make a copy. I said I'd be happy
> to make the copy for them while they watched. They gave up. I got a new
> battery.
>
> We still have the van and I bet if I went back with the paperwork I'd
> get a new battery. Lifetime means lifetime. Penney's sold the warranty
> to Firestone, which is on the hook until they go belly-up.

Haha, I read about a woman who had the same car for DECADES, and had one
of those life-time Penney's batteries. She really got a good deal...
they had to keep honoring it and giving her new batteries.

Never give that '60 Dodge van up, how cool! If you do, shoot me an
e-mail first, I'd love to get my hands on one of those. Especially if
it has a straight 6 and 3 on the tree. Those are indestructible.

fos

Dec 19, 2021, 1:45:53 AM12/19/21
Better off going to a distributor and getting a new "blem"(ished) battery
without a warranty than buying who knows what the fuck you're getting
at a hardware store then chasing ghosts for a warranty if needed.

The Real Bev

Dec 19, 2021, 2:03:33 AM12/19/21
On 12/18/2021 08:23 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 12/18/2021 13:25, The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>> Maybe 40 years ago we bought a lifetime Penney's battery for our 1960
>> Dodge van which made many trips across the country. The battery
>> eventually failed. Penney's by then had sold their auto parts business
>> to Firestone. I had to go to Penney's customer service to get my
>> warranty 'validated' or something before I could go to the Firestone
>> store to get a new battery.
>>
>> Firestone said they'd have to check the van's charging system before
>> giving me a new battery. I pointed out the obvious and that there was
>> NOTHING in the warranty requiring that. I got a new battery.
>>
>> Maybe 10 years later the battery was dead. Back to Penney's and the
>> Firestone store. They wanted to give me a new BETTER 3-year battery to
>> replace my 'lifetime' battery. I said no. Then they wanted to take my
>> warranty papers into the back room to make a copy. I said I'd be happy
>> to make the copy for them while they watched. They gave up. I got a new
>> battery.
>>
>> We still have the van and I bet if I went back with the paperwork I'd
>> get a new battery. Lifetime means lifetime. Penney's sold the warranty
>> to Firestone, which is on the hook until they go belly-up.
>
> Haha, I read about a woman who had the same car for DECADES, and had one
> of those life-time Penney's batteries. She really got a good deal...
> they had to keep honoring it and giving her new batteries.

What, I have a twin? Slick! For a while all the businesses that sold
batteries gave lifetime warranties. Pep Boys is still in business
nearby, but Sears is going belly-up along with K-Mart. If I need a new
battery for my Corolla I'll probably go to Costco.

> Never give that '60 Dodge van up, how cool! If you do, shoot me an
> e-mail first, I'd love to get my hands on one of those. Especially if
> it has a straight 6 and 3 on the tree. Those are indestructible.

V8, auto. One of us may be buried in it.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea:

micky

Dec 19, 2021, 2:28:16 AM12/19/21
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 18 Dec 2021 10:43:35 -0500, Ralph Mowery
I remember those days. that's when i figured you were renting a
batttery, not buying one. I didn't know they had changed, and my
Autozone battery seems to be giving me trouble after only a year, but I
haven't done a proper check.

This is my favorite Sears story. My brother bought a new car with a
2-year warranty, a 1965 model, and it gave him constant problems. The
dealer says he replaced the battery, alternator and starter, or maybe it
was regulator 2 times each. And still the car wouldn't start sometimes,
inconveniencing my brother tremendoously.

He lent me the car when he went to Viet Nam, and I concluded from some
test that it needed a new battery. I took it to Sears which is really
big in Chicago, and the mechanic said, Do you want our free 435-point
multicheck, and I said, No, I just want a battery. And he said again,
It's free. Not wanting to be a wet blanket or an ingrate I said Yes, and
he found the problem in under 10 minutes that the dealer hadn't found in
2 years! I was very impressed.

(I think I did still need a battery, fwiw.)

The problem was a dirty connection where the battery cable connects to
the starter solenoid on a GM car. Just had to be cleaned. But it
reappeared whenever I forgot and left the lights on. The first time I
took it apart and cleaned it but after that I learned to just twist it
on the solenoid bolt and the car was good again. I could even do it
wearing decent clothes and only get my hand dirty.

Do you konw why this was? Did they use the wrong material in the
battery cable end? or the solenoid stud? Is this a GM problem?

Peeler

Dec 19, 2021, 3:50:59 AM12/19/21
On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 14:39:28 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Xeno to trolling senile Rodent:
"You're a sad old man Rod, truly sad."
MID: <id04c3...@mid.individual.net>

Scott Dorsey

Dec 19, 2021, 4:44:24 PM12/19/21
This would explain why you are so concerned about warranties.
--scott

Rod Speed

Dec 19, 2021, 7:16:54 PM12/19/21
Scott Dorsey <klu...@panix.com> wrote
I'm not at all concerned about warranties.

Peeler

Dec 20, 2021, 4:35:44 AM12/20/21
On Mon, 20 Dec 2021 11:16:46 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 87-year-old senile Australian
cretin's pathological trolling:
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/rod-speed-faq.2973853/

HomieDeePo

Dec 29, 2023, 12:04:14 AM12/29/23
Because they sell batteries there ffs! Don't be a DIK! Tractor supply sells batteries to Jackwad.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/home-depot-exide-24f-car-battery-warranty-3175789-.htm

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 29, 2023, 12:37:11 AM12/29/23
On 12/29/2023 12:04 AM, HomieDeePo wrote:
> Because they sell batteries there ffs! Don't be a DIK! Tractor supply
> sells batteries to Jackwad.

Thanks for mentioning that, 2 years later. Very helpful.
Have you ever thought of a reading comprehension course?