Superglue oil leak fix

tyl...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2006, 11:53:11 AM1/23/06
I just read an interesting thread that discussed the use of superglue
to fix an oil leak on an airplane. (The trick was to attach a shop vac
to a breather so the glue is sucked into the crack.) The previous owner
of my Rabbit must have stripped the oil pan drain bolt threads, as a
helicoil-type repair insert has been installed. Unfortunately, it leaks
at the repair joint (the bolt seals fine though).

I think I'm going to try this on my diesel Rabbit. Any reason this
would be a bad idea?

John S.

Jan 23, 2006, 12:05:57 PM1/23/06

I think you will find that:
1. It will be all but impossible to get the helicoil and pan clean
enough to allow superglue to adhere.
2. The glue will probably shatter at some point.

I you want to try filling the gaps, consider something like a
non-hardening high temperature gasket sealer after thoroughly cleaning
the pan and helicoil. After all this fiddling around you may
ultimately find a boneyard pan is the best way to go.

jfran...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2006, 12:07:20 PM1/23/06

why don't you just replace the oil pan and not waste your time.

HotRod

Jan 23, 2006, 12:31:26 PM1/23/06
Super glue works on a lot of rubber and plastic but it will not work on
metal. I'd use an epoxy mix.

sdlomi2

Jan 23, 2006, 12:36:09 PM1/23/06

<tyl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
May not hurt. Then if/when that fails, if u remove tank, you can weld
in a replacement plug/nut cheaply--don't hafta buy another pan. s

none2u

Jan 23, 2006, 12:44:44 PM1/23/06
I learned a simulair trick from a chrysler dealer. After they installed an
oil pan gasket incorrectly where it mated to the front cover. There was a
lip where the gaskets overlapped seated incorrectly allowing oil to leak out
about a half a quart a day. Their trick was to put a vacuumn on the oil
breather hole and clean the leak area off with contact cleaner, until
spotless. And use high temp red rtv and they sucked it in with the vacuumn
and shut it down and let it dry overnite. It was not leaking 6 years later.
Also someone did the exact same trick on a Ford 302 rear intake gasket.,
using red high temp rtv. The fix is to take the intake off and put a new
gasket on. it was about a $500 fix. It was much more difficult to clean, but
lasted about a year and a half. Also I guarantee that superglue on an
aircraft engine is NOT approved by the FAA. General Aviation owners are much
more lenient about their repairs , and I,m sure everything has been tried to
save a buck , by people who can't afford proper maintenance. Will it work ,
sometimes. Would I want to fly across water about 3 hours with it. No.
<jfran...@gmail.com> wrote in message

none2u

Jan 23, 2006, 1:09:50 PM1/23/06
Superglue works on anything not porous like plastic, glass, and certain
rubber. If air can get to it through the material being glued, it will not
work.
"sdlomi2" <sdl...@spam.yahoo.com> wrote in message

Daniel J. Stern

Jan 23, 2006, 1:40:49 PM1/23/06

Yep: Because it's the wrong material for the job. A fluid-sealing Helicoil
needs anaerobic thread sealant ("Loctite") which is chemically related to
super glue, but not at all the same. If the original repair didn't include
such a sealant, then the repair was not done correctly and needs to be
redone.

Keep YerSpam

Jan 23, 2006, 2:23:48 PM1/23/06
tyl...@gmail.com wrote:

I can think of a bunch of reasons why this might (probably) not work.

Like a previous poster said:
I doubt you'll get it clean enough to get the glue to do any real good.
I'll assume you want to try this to not remove the pan to fix it
properly. I'd pull the pan, clean it squeaky clean, then patch the
insert leak with an epoxy like JBWeld. Be careful not to get it on any
part you don't want it to stay on forever. It can be wiped clean &
removed when soft. If mixed right, once it's hard it's there for eternity.

Did the original story also mention that you'll probably have to seal up
the exhaust for the shop vac to build enough draw to suck fluid through
cracks? At least one valve in that engine will likely be open to the
exhaust no matter what position the crankshaft is at. Don't forget any
EGR system on the engine - gotta plug that up too. Not just plug, but
seal completely airtight. Are your valve covers & gaskets in minty-mint
shape and seal 100%? I have to wonder how strong a shop vac you need for
this to even come close to working ... ;)

Also, super glue will get brittle from engine heat over time and
crumble. SG is great for surface-to-surface repairs, but a crack is not
that kind of a repair - it's a jagged hole with a gap to fill. Even the
thicker gel type of SG stinks at that kind of repair. You'll probably be
right back where you started.

Good luck,
- JJ

Brian Running

Jan 23, 2006, 2:47:43 PM1/23/06
> Did the original story also mention that you'll probably have to seal up
> the exhaust for the shop vac to build enough draw to suck fluid through
> cracks? At least one valve in that engine will likely be open to the
> exhaust no matter what position the crankshaft is at. Don't forget any
> EGR system on the engine - gotta plug that up too. Not just plug, but
> seal completely airtight. Are your valve covers & gaskets in minty-mint
> shape and seal 100%? I have to wonder how strong a shop vac you need for
> this to even come close to working ... ;)

If the gap is so big that capillary action alone won't pull the super
glue in where you want it, then the gap's too big to use super glue to
repair.

I agree, JB Weld is a better idea for this application.

Papa

Jan 23, 2006, 3:13:30 PM1/23/06
You are just risking your engine. Get a new or used pan, along with a good
(new) gasket. You can find both on the internet at lower prices than what
the dealers charge.

Nate Nagel

Jan 23, 2006, 5:02:02 PM1/23/06

yeah, seriously. It's probably not worth the time and effort to do it
when you figure it out.

http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=051103601

and the gasket

http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=048103609B

and a nice shiny new drain plug

http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=N90288901

total cost $41 plus shipping, and you get a nice, undented oil pan that
you can paint the color of your choice to add a nice detailed touch to
the bottom of your engine. You will probably spend more time scraping
off the old gasket than you will doing anything else. (or are you the
guy that was already R&Ring the oil pan? if so then you REALLY need to
just buy a new pan.)

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Huw

Jan 23, 2006, 7:04:46 PM1/23/06

Go for it man.
This World needs pioneers and risk takers.
Please report your results back here so all humanity can benefit.

Huw

Baker@nowhere.com Dave Baker

Jan 23, 2006, 9:32:29 PM1/23/06

<tyl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I just read an interesting thread that discussed the use of superglue
> to fix an oil leak on an airplane. (The trick was to attach a shop vac
> to a breather so the glue is sucked into the crack.) The previous owner
> of my Rabbit must have stripped the oil pan drain bolt threads, as a
> helicoil-type repair insert has been installed. Unfortunately, it leaks
> at the repair joint (the bolt seals fine though).

Then it can't be a helicoil insert because this restores the thread back to
the original size and the bolt washer ought to seal over the whole of the
top of it. Maybe you mean some sort of solid type insert which involved
tapping the original thread out to a much larger size. In that case it
should have been installed with loctite or some other type of sealant.

Probably the easiest fix is to put a bigger washer under the bolt head which
covers the whole of the repair area and maybe even use a bit of silicone
sealant under that too.
--
Dave Baker

none2u

Jan 24, 2006, 1:14:28 AM1/24/06
I think he should use hi temp red rtv, but I don,t see how the exhaust
valves or egr will do anything. He's sucking the crankcase through the
breather hole , on the valve cover. The crankcase breather hole isn't
connected to the EGR or fuel or exhaust system. its the internal engine,
where the oils at. Hes on the other side of the pistons from the parts
youi're describing. He does however need to leave the oil cap on...
"Dave Baker" <Dave Ba...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

gkro...@advcs.com

Jan 25, 2006, 7:06:34 AM1/25/06

just replace the pan, it is easy job, and you can pick up a used pan at
a junk yard, or just buy a new one..good luck e.w.rogers

Al Bundy

Jan 25, 2006, 9:16:53 AM1/25/06
Many good suggestions have been made.
However, you could also just use one of those aftermarket rubber plugs
that seal from the inside.

none2u

Jan 25, 2006, 12:50:19 PM1/25/06
I had to re read this. A helicoil repair on an oil drain plug hole is just
stupid. I thought you were meaning the pan flange bolts, where the gasket
is. I think your too late now, because of the heli coils. If you can put
rtv on the wide part of oil drain plug everytime you change your oil, and
it seals, that may work. They made oversized self tapping drain plugs for
just this problem, but someone decided to use a helicoil. You may be able to
remove the helicoil and tap out the hole correctly and use a bigger bolt, if
theres enough metal left to do so. Your only option is to get a new pan and
gasket and change it out, if you can't get the drain plug to seal. Or let it
leak and put a case of oil in your car and drive around with it. The VW oil
pans brand new are real cheap, 20-30 dollars arent out of line. If you leak
all your oil out driving, your engine is trash.....
"Al Bundy" <MSfo...@mcpmail.com> wrote in message

tyl...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2006, 10:37:23 PM1/25/06
> However, you could also just use one of those aftermarket rubber plugs
> that seal from the inside.

I've never heard of those. Got a link?

Oh, and I tried the vacuum-and-superglue thing tonight. Still leaks.
Guess I'll be headed to the junkyard for a "new" pan.

N8N

Jan 26, 2006, 6:42:13 AM1/26/06

You did see where parts4vws has a new pan for $20, didn't you?

nate

Al Bundy

Jan 26, 2006, 9:46:49 AM1/26/06
The auto parts stores around her like Murray's sell them. I believe
they are under the "Help" brand.

tyl...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2006, 9:51:10 AM1/26/06
> You did see where parts4vws has a new pan for $20, didn't you?

Yep, but if I get it from the yard I don't have to wait for it to be
shipped. Instant gratification ;)

Scott Dorsey

Jan 26, 2006, 10:13:25 AM1/26/06

As a cheapskate, I would personally be more apt to drill and retap the
old pan for a larger plug than to replace the whole pan. A new pan could
be as much as ten or twenty dollars.
--scott

tyl...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2006, 1:32:45 PM1/26/06
> As a cheapskate, I would personally be more apt to drill and retap the
> old pan

I considered it but I think that once I drilled out the helicoil-style
repair insert, I would have to find a freaking huge tap and bolt. Like
more than 21mm. The cost of the tap would be at least half the cost of
a new pan. Of course if you already have the tap then that's a
different story.

I think I might have been able to fix it by sealing the inside of the
repair insert, either with RTV or JB Weld or something. But if I'm
pulling the pan off anyway, I might as well spend the $20 on a new pan
to make sure I don't have to pull it off yet again the next day.

Lawrence Glickman

Jan 26, 2006, 4:40:24 PM1/26/06

I concur. Put a *new* or somesuch in there instead of fudging about
with the leaking one. Labor is the issue here, not parts costs.

Lg

*

Jan 26, 2006, 5:32:13 PM1/26/06
tyl...@gmail.com wrote in article
<1138035191.6...@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>...

> I just read an interesting thread that discussed the use of superglue
> to fix an oil leak on an airplane. (The trick was to attach a shop vac
> to a breather so the glue is sucked into the crack.)

Can ANYBODY fathom a guess at the explosive power of a shop vac filled with
crankcase vapors?????.......

........you know, the very same combustible crankcase vapors that are
siphoned out of the crankcase by the PCV valve, and burned off in the
engine's combustion chambers.

A while back, one of the trade publications I receive did a news blurb
about a quick-lube shop that burned to the ground when a shop vac full of
vapors was touched off by the sparks created by the vac's motor brushes.

This shop was using the shop vac to hold the oil in the crankcase while
they removed the plug to change the gasket.....

.......they had done it, ".....a thousand times...."

Apparently one thousand-and-one was their magic number.....

> I think I'm going to try this on my diesel Rabbit. Any reason this
> would be a bad idea?

Gee, I don't know.....What do YOU think?

Pick a number!!!!!

Lawrence Glickman

Jan 26, 2006, 5:42:48 PM1/26/06
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:32:13 -0600, "*" <nos...@this.addy.com> wrote:

>tyl...@gmail.com wrote in article
><1138035191.6...@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>...
>> I just read an interesting thread that discussed the use of superglue
>> to fix an oil leak on an airplane. (The trick was to attach a shop vac
>> to a breather so the glue is sucked into the crack.)
>

>Can ANYBODY fathom a guess at the explosive power of a shop vac filled with
>crankcase vapors?????.......

Sounds like you need an enema.
FLEET is the brand I recommend, and it's inexpensive.

Scott Dorsey

Jan 26, 2006, 5:54:05 PM1/26/06
Lawrence Glickman <Lawrence...@comcast.net> wrote:
>On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:32:13 -0600, "*" <nos...@this.addy.com> wrote:
>>tyl...@gmail.com wrote in article
>><1138035191.6...@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>...
>>> I just read an interesting thread that discussed the use of superglue
>>> to fix an oil leak on an airplane. (The trick was to attach a shop vac
>>> to a breather so the glue is sucked into the crack.)
>>

>>Can ANYBODY fathom a guess at the explosive power of a shop vac filled with
>>crankcase vapors?????.......
>
>Sounds like you need an enema.
>FLEET is the brand I recommend, and it's inexpensive.

I second the recommendation. However, when I was a kid, one of the
neighbors attempted to siphon gasoline from his tank with a vacuum
cleaner. He was surprisingly uninjured although his hair was singed
a little and the vacuum cleaner would never be the same again.

tyl...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2006, 6:56:59 PM1/26/06
> Pick a number!!!!!

*NOW* he tells me...!

Good thing diesel is a lot less dangerous than gasoline!

none2u

Jan 27, 2006, 12:57:10 AM1/27/06
Yea, Well,.. theres a big difference between a super fast we don't give a
crap oil change , with hot engines, and someone working on their own car.
And I bet they sucked gas fumes into the canister , from the pvc valve. and
lit it with the electric motor. because they left the pvc hooked up and used
the oil fill cap hole to suck air. Thats their own stupidity. Of course
they sucked gas fumes backwards through the pvc valve. Just like someone
in this post said already. I said, use the pvc hole with the pvc
disconnected and leave the oil cap on. Its all in the details....
<tyl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

*

Jan 27, 2006, 9:43:26 AM1/27/06

none2u <no...@notimportant.orreal.off> wrote in article
<XJednbp0-6C...@centurytel.net>...

> Yea, Well,.. theres a big difference between a super fast we don't give
> crap oil change , with hot engines, and someone working on their own car.

> And I bet they sucked gas fumes into the canister , from the pvc valve.
and
> lit it with the electric motor. because they left the pvc hooked up and
used
> the oil fill cap hole to suck air. Thats their own stupidity. Of course

> they sucked gas fumes backwards through the pvc valve. Just like
someone
> in this post said already. I said, use the pvc hole with the pvc
> disconnected and leave the oil cap on. Its all in the details....

If you REALLY understood the operation of a PCV valve, you would realize
that it is closed when the engine is not running.............

ANY vacuum applied to the crankcase side of the PCV valve would only assist
the internal spring, and suck it more tightly closed.

*

Jan 27, 2006, 9:45:08 AM1/27/06

tyl...@gmail.com wrote in article
<1138319819....@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>...

> > Pick a number!!!!!
>
> *NOW* he tells me...!
>
> Good thing diesel is a lot less dangerous than gasoline!

That may be true, but once diesel oil gets going, it burns much hotter than
gasoline.

General rule of thumb.....the closer to Crude, the MORE BTU energy.

Tom Staresinic

Jan 29, 2006, 11:12:12 AM1/29/06

"none2u" <no...@notimportant.orreal.off> wrote in message
> Superglue works on anything not porous like plastic, glass, and certain
> rubber. If air can get to it through the material being glued, it will not
> work................

Isn't human skin porous? It bends nothing better than skin. :)

Lambert Moonen

Apr 18, 2006, 11:29:16 PM4/18/06
This would be a good idee for radiator repair (plastic ones)
block outlets put vacuum pump
at one end and smear epoxy outsiede this wil suck it in de radiator and
walla !!!!! radiator is fixed. moony
<tyl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>I just read an interesting thread that discussed the use of superglue
> to fix an oil leak on an airplane. (The trick was to attach a shop vac
> to a breather so the glue is sucked into the crack.) The previous owner
> of my Rabbit must have stripped the oil pan drain bolt threads, as a
> helicoil-type repair insert has been installed. Unfortunately, it leaks
> at the repair joint (the bolt seals fine though).

five...@webtv.net

Apr 18, 2006, 11:33:11 PM4/18/06
an item that should do the something only better is a tube of SEAL ALL
from WallyWorld for a buck.

mho
vƒe

Papa

Apr 19, 2006, 8:20:40 AM4/19/06
As far as a leak around the oil pan drain plug is concerned, just replace
the oil pan (use a new gasket, of course). Inexpensive, plus a lot more
reliable than any glue could ever be.

*

Apr 22, 2006, 9:19:25 AM4/22/06

Lambert Moonen <lamb...@earthlink.net> wrote in article
<g8i1g.6668$sq5....@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...

> This would be a good idee for radiator repair (plastic ones)
> block outlets put vacuum pump
> at one end and smear epoxy outsiede this wil suck it in de radiator and
> walla !!!!! radiator is fixed. moony

Most two-part epoxies will NOT work with plastic. As a matter of fact, I
mix most of my two-part epoxies on plastic boards.

There IS one two-part epoxy that works with plastics called "Plastic
Welder".

It is made by Devcon, but sold under many different brand names including
Loctite.

Slowper

Dec 1, 2021, 12:15:05 AM12/1/21
I had a friend some afternoons was by planes if you find a hole it's the holster usually the nose it's noisy or another is a crack what is anywhere it's suckles air ideally you want it too suck air for flights so to find a pinhole with a magnifying glass you class the plane and try a pilot , you find that in auto pilot as the base it rolls wheels so a bump or hit from air it must suck it not suckle and sometimes it's the destination , that stops the flow as before landing

--
For full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/vw/superglue-oil-leak-fix-30722-.htm

Slowper

Dec 1, 2021, 12:15:05 AM12/1/21
So U mean RV sealant tried it on a water pump gasket it is weak there but another is the transmission it does there for awhile super glue could hold oil filter gasket to remain true to the product it's orobly only for a paper and corset brooch , let's get serious supergluing the radiator lid is good as sealing in heat from coolant and okay for other kids caps such as gaskets and not sealants so odds are superglue won't help with rubber only try and find out