Fuel Pressure on a 94 454 TBI

Rick

Apr 11, 2002, 1:15:10 PM4/11/02
Can someone tell me what the fuel pressure should be on this engine.

Thanks

Rick

Dean Dardwin

Apr 11, 2002, 1:45:50 PM4/11/02
Rick,

9-13 psi

Dean

George

Apr 12, 2002, 12:38:22 AM4/12/02
According to my Mitchell on Demand, the pressure on the 7.4 L. which is
the 454, the pressure should be 26-32 psi. All other motors it's 9-13 psi.
George

Rick

Apr 14, 2002, 11:33:05 AM4/14/02
> According to my Mitchell on Demand, the pressure on the 7.4 L. which is
> the 454, the pressure should be 26-32 psi. All other motors it's 9-13 psi.
> George

Thanks for your response, but I still have a problem.

Locally I have heard the 10 lb number like the first responder through
a Chevy garage and Ihave seen the Mitchell number of 26-32. The pump
was replaced just before I bought the motor home (2 weeks ago). The
unit will not idle. If I apply throttle and keep my foot on the brake
I can keep it running at 12-1500 RPM. The fuel pressure is around 10
lbs.

Were there 2 pumps, 1 for 10lbs and 1 for 26? What is really correct
for this application?

Thanks

Rick

George Jefferson

Apr 14, 2002, 11:41:42 AM4/14/02

:Were there 2 pumps, 1 for 10lbs and 1 for 26? What is really correct
:for this application?

the lower number sounds like the pressure for a carb.

Dean Dardwin

Apr 14, 2002, 8:36:48 PM4/14/02
George,

Nice guess but '94s don't have carbs, they have TBIs and if you ran 9-13
psi into any carb ever built it would blow the needles off their seats
and flood the engine. Carbs are usually about 4-7 psi, FYI.

Dean

Dean Dardwin

Apr 14, 2002, 8:43:34 PM4/14/02
Rick,

9-13 is correct per the service manual. I also own a '95 454 TBI and KNOW it's correct. You may have a bad TPS, CTS, IAC, EGR, leaking pressure regulator (in the TBI) but you don't have a fuel delivery problem.

Dean

morenotr...@gmail.com

May 19, 2017, 12:09:10 AM5/19/17
Must check vin.number for right psi...don't go by the book my 454 Tonawanda would not stay running put a fuel pump then started replacing every thing..came back to the fuel pump...the vin.number said 26 psi I used a. Accel pump 75340 don't make that mistake...

J F

Jun 17, 2022, 8:48:30 PM6/17/22
Incorrect. For both the 94 & 95 years the fuel pressure spec was 26-32 psi. I'm looking at the manual for both those years as I type. You likely have a chassis on an earlier year.