Teresa Earnhardt made 'ridiculous' requests

Alan Jones

Aug 18, 2007, 7:13:05 PM8/18/07

Dale Jr.: Teresa Earnhardt made 'ridiculous' requests for No, 8
Terry Blount, ESPN.com

BROOKLYN, Mich. -- Dale Earnhardt Jr. blames his step-mother Teresa
Earnhardt, the owner of Dale Earnhardt Inc., for not allowing the
No. 8 to move with him to Hendrick Motorsports next season.

"She either feels too personal about the number, or the rift between
me and her is too personal," Earnhardt Jr. said Saturday. "I'm not
going to sit here and get personal about this. It's upsetting as
hell and unfortunate, but that's just what happens sometimes."

Earnhardt Jr. said he never believed he would get the number when he
made the decision to leave DEI at the end of this season.

"I'm not really all that surprised," he said. "I knew I wasn't going
to get the number a long time ago."

But Earnhardt Jr. praised DEI president Max Siegel for his efforts
in trying to make it happen. Earnhardt Jr. said Siegel worked
closely with Kelley Earnhardt Elledge, Junior's sister and business
manager.

"Max tried his butt off to make it work," Earnhardt Jr. said. "He
was trying to talk to Teresa and get some sense into her."

Siegel said he had nothing to say about Earnhardt Jr.'s comments on
Saturday, but added he might address them Sunday.

Teresa Earnhardt was not at Michigan International Speedway on
Saturday. She rarely talks to the media.

Earnhardt Jr. said negotiations broke down when Teresa asked for
part of the licensing revenue, along with wanting the number back
after he retired.

"Just ridiculous kind of requests," Earnhardt Jr. said. "We just
wanted the number, but I was willing to give the number back when I
was done driving. I wouldn't have any use for it personally."

Earnhardt Jr. said he wanted the number to carry on a family legacy.

"I feel like it's an Earnhardt tradition because my grandfather and
my dad used it a little bit, too," he said. "I'm using it right now,
and I figured that we would be able to keep using it. But
unfortunately we're not going to be able to."

Earnhardt Jr. is looking forward now. He said he is considering a
number in the 80s for his new ride at Hendrick next season.

"That's just common sense," he said. "I want a number that I'm going
to like. I'll design the shape and the look. We'll build a new
identity with that."

Earnhardt is trying to look at the bright side.

"Maybe it's for the best," he said. "Maybe it's sort of a blessing
in disguise to really make a clean break. If I was to get the 8 and
allow Teresa to still have control over it, I would still have to
deal with it. That is not what I wanted. I have to let it go."

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=2&id=2980474

___

- http://groups.google.com/group/nascar-group

Carey Akin

Aug 18, 2007, 8:12:50 PM8/18/07

"Alan Jones" <ajo...@sportswriterusa.com> wrote in message
Hmm. "Ridiculous requests" without spelling out what they are. Certainly
what is outlined is not ridiculous. More class reporting forwarded by the
RASN maroon.

This is such a non issue, that I can't understand why it is even important.
THIS is what NASCAR has done to auto racing.

Carey in Manvel

Michael Johnson

Aug 18, 2007, 10:33:23 PM8/18/07

I wonder if Dale Sr. would have let him take the number?

RES2CUE28

Aug 18, 2007, 10:36:15 PM8/18/07

> I wonder if Dale Sr. would have let him take the number?

He would never had the need to leave in the first place.

Michael Johnson

Aug 18, 2007, 10:45:06 PM8/18/07
RES2CUE28 wrote:

>> I wonder if Dale Sr. would have let him take the number?
>

> He would never had the need to leave in the first place.

If he did have the need to leave I think he would have let him have it.

John McCoy

Aug 18, 2007, 11:11:09 PM8/18/07
"Carey Akin" <cma...@att.net> wrote in

> Hmm. "Ridiculous requests" without spelling out what they are.
> Certainly what is outlined is not ridiculous. More class reporting
> forwarded by the RASN maroon.

Actually, that's a direct quote from Earnhardt. You can't blame
Janal for that particular turn of phrase.

Reading between the lines, it seems it was all about licensing
revenue, which is what we'd expected. The only odd thing is it
looks like no-one from Hendrick was involved, just Kelley Ellidge
and Max Siegel.

John

Chuck Steak

Aug 19, 2007, 8:15:35 AM8/19/07
In article "Carey Akin" <cma...@att.net> wrote:

>This is such a non issue, that I can't understand why it is even important.
>THIS is what NASCAR has done to auto racing.
>
>Carey in Manvel

Carey...
I just cannot figure how you think NASCAR is responsible for DEI
not wanting to give Junior the #8....

Dan
Before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
Then, when you do criticize them,
you'll be a mile away... and have their shoes...

">G< ©"

Aug 19, 2007, 8:40:43 AM8/19/07

I think NASCAR has contributed by looking the other way in these number
*negotiations*. if its ultimately NASCAR's decision who get what number
then why the negotiations between HMS and DEI?

Carey Akin

Aug 19, 2007, 10:34:43 AM8/19/07

"Chuck Steak" <chuck...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Carey...
> I just cannot figure how you think NASCAR is responsible for DEI
> not wanting to give Junior the #8....

They aren't. What NASCAR has done is make stories like this big news and
actual racing secondary.

Carey in Manvel

Chris Warner

Aug 19, 2007, 10:42:40 AM8/19/07

"John McCoy" <igo...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

How much you want to bet that she asked for 51% of the Licensing
Revenue? She's a BITCH.

RickyBobby

Aug 19, 2007, 12:51:12 PM8/19/07

"Carey Akin" <cma...@att.net> wrote in message

What is news is that rednecks all across the country have chosen a whiny
homosexual to be the head neck.

Alan Jones

Aug 19, 2007, 2:51:54 PM8/19/07

Had you simply said Teresa might want a cut of the revenue created
by 'HMS', I would not have disagreed. You seemed to be talking about
buyout compensation in taking over DEI's existing contracts, and
about DEI marketing the #8 autonomously.

Still, you were the only one to bring up the general subject of
souvenir sales, and I can appreciate that. :)

FTR, I mentioned the stipulation of returning the #8 to DEI when Jr
is done with it. According to Jr, that was not a deal breaker.

Alan Jones

Aug 19, 2007, 2:56:33 PM8/19/07

I think the percentage was likely 'ridiculous', as Jr said.

Alan Jones

Aug 19, 2007, 3:15:31 PM8/19/07

We agree. For Jr, it's about using his grandfathers number, and a
number his father used some. In the article, he talks about family
tradition. I think he rightfully feels like the number belongs to
him since it was given to him by his father.

For Teresa, it's about souvenir sales, percentages, and greed.

How can NASCAR sit back and allow this travesty to happen. Is there
no regard left for heritage and tradition in NASCAR. (shakes head in
disgust)

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 08:40:43 -0400, ">G< ©" <jimmy...@gmail.com>

Damon Hynes

Aug 19, 2007, 4:44:52 PM8/19/07
Was one of the ridiculous requests nude pictures of Bea Arthur?

Alan Jones

Aug 19, 2007, 5:03:35 PM8/19/07

I don't disagree with Jr wanting a completely clean and permanent
break from Teresa. :) Any percentage of the souvenir sales might
have been too much.

Regarding Teresa as a business person, cold hearted greed alone does
not make someone successful. Teresa was good at keeping a hawkish
eye on the finances and business dealings while DE was busy racing,
but DE was the person in charge of the business; making the big
decisions. He would have to step in sometimes and tell her to allow
something to happen; intercede when she was being greedy,
unreasonable. Greed can hurt a company more than it helps. You must
let deals happen under fair and reasonable terms. I think greed gets
confused with hard work. Hard work, being a go-getter, is what makes
someone successful.

In my opinion, Teresa was riding Dale's coat tails. We are now
seeing her true abilities in running a business, and DEI is falling
apart. This would have come sooner had Dale Jr not been such a nice
guy for six years.

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:01:24 -0000, "michael"
<polter...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Alan, and John..
>
>I see your thoughts.. I have another angle that, in my opinion, seems
>to be the real deal breaker..
>
>I know that it came down to Teresa wanting a piece of the number 8
>with Jr. However, based on Jr's comments, inasmuch as that was
>significant, it appears to me that Jr is more in want of complete dis
>association with Teresa Earnhardt. Dei and the money be damned, it is
>him wanting her out of his life and business. I heard the interview,
>and the connotations in Jr's voice sounded more like he is sick of
>her, not just in general, but for good. It's origin notwithstanding,
>it has reached more than an impasse. If you have that soundbyte,
>listen again.. he is genuinely happy with Max Siegel, and that group,
>but is in complete disdain of Teresa Earnhardt, period.
>
>Yeah.. she was trying to continue in her tradition of shrewdness, but
>hey, you get what you can get, and she is adept and has better
>business acumen than most, not all, but most.
>
>As far as it goes, bottom line, ask the fans of Mark Martin how much
>it matters the car number anyway..
>
>Michael

David Starr

Aug 19, 2007, 5:37:49 PM8/19/07
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 09:51:12 -0700, "RickyBobby" <nasc...@cox.net> wrote:

>What is news is that rednecks all across the country have chosen a whiny
>homosexual to be the head neck.

Jeff's now the head neck?

Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography

Web Site: www.destarr.com

RickyBobby

Aug 19, 2007, 5:45:25 PM8/19/07

"David Starr" <dave...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 09:51:12 -0700, "RickyBobby" <nasc...@cox.net> wrote:
>

>>What is news is that rednecks all across the country have chosen a whiny
>>homosexual to be the head neck.
>>
> Jeff's now the head neck?

The Greatest is from elegant California and he never made no claim to be a
redneck. Some years ago some writer pointed out that when a mess of NASCAR
drivers were down at Dale Earnhardt's place in Texas doing some real hunting
Jeff and Brooke were in the Swiss Alps doing them some skiing. Such is the
difference between the necks and the real modern people.

All homosexual Junior ever talks about is hanging around with his boys and
playing video console games. And this is the guy the necks choose as their
hero?

Hank Williams,Jr or Brett Favre would make better role models. Heck,
Jessica Simpson is probably more of a man than Junior.

Chuck Steak

Aug 19, 2007, 7:18:59 PM8/19/07
In article "Carey Akin" <cma...@att.net> wrote:

Whew... I'm glad you don't think they were responsible.
But you know... NASCAR is not exactly "the media" either..
Yeah... the have a site, and it carried the story,
but a lot was made of it, and still is, on tv/radio/print/internet,
that is out of the realm of NASCAR..
The t-shirts, decals, posters, etc. were not NASCAR's..

Thoth

Aug 19, 2007, 9:32:00 PM8/19/07
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 22:33:23 -0400, Michael Johnson <c...@erols.com>
wrote:

>> This is such a non issue, that I can't understand why it is even important.
>> THIS is what NASCAR has done to auto racing.
>
>I wonder if Dale Sr. would have let him take the number?

Jr. would be a better driver and not need to blame his mediocrity on
everyone around him, like he does now. Sr. would have hopefully kept
him focused on being a driver rather than a personality.

Michael Johnson

Aug 19, 2007, 9:57:55 PM8/19/07

Another question, would you keep YOUR son from taking the number with
him? I wouldn't.

otis

Aug 19, 2007, 10:56:25 PM8/19/07
"RickyBobby" <nasc...@cox.net> wrote in message

> What is news is that rednecks all across the country have chosen a whiny
> homosexual to be the head neck.

Seee.... there you go, dragging Tony Stewart in to this thread.

RickyBobby

Aug 20, 2007, 1:42:57 AM8/20/07

"otis" <ot...@mayberry.rfd> wrote in message

The difference between Tony Stewart and Dale Earnhardt is that Tony Stewart
can drive a stock car. Otherwise they are both queers.

cma...@att.net

Aug 20, 2007, 1:35:36 PM8/20/07
On Aug 19, 6:18 pm, chuck_st...@nospam.com (Chuck Steak) wrote:

> Whew... I'm glad you don't think they were responsible.
> But you know... NASCAR is not exactly "the media" either..
> Yeah... the have a site, and it carried the story,
> but a lot was made of it, and still is, on tv/radio/print/internet,
> that is out of the realm of NASCAR..
> The t-shirts, decals, posters, etc. were not NASCAR's..

NASCAR licenses the t-shirts, decals, posters, etc. They spoon feed
the media (allowing just about anyone to become a journalist) their
stories. In creating the drama, they create attention.
Unfortunately, racing is secondary to the attention.

Carey in Manvel

Chuck Steak

Aug 20, 2007, 2:58:41 PM8/20/07
In article cma...@att.net wrote:

no no no.... I didn't mean regular racing t-shirts/posters/etc...
I meant, that the "free the eight" and similar hype out there
was NOT NASCAR's doing....
They didn't create that buzz....
They didn't do all the talk radio stuff etc....

Alan Jones

Aug 20, 2007, 3:20:04 PM8/20/07

I was wrong too. I felt sure Jr would be driving the Bud #8. Bud and
Jr are such a good match I could not imagine them parting, and I
thought NASCAR would make sure Jr kept his number. I think most of
my disappointment is not with Teresa but NASCAR for allowing this
travesty to happen. She must have some very dirty dirt on the France
family because they seem to be afraid of her.

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:17:13 -0700 (PDT), Heather Guillemaud
<dawn...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>What is very sad to me is I have defended her. So Alan I stand
>corrected, she is a B#$%!

Mike Marlow

Aug 20, 2007, 3:58:04 PM8/20/07

> I was wrong too. I felt sure Jr would be driving the Bud #8. Bud and
> Jr are such a good match I could not imagine them parting, and I
> thought NASCAR would make sure Jr kept his number. I think most of
> my disappointment is not with Teresa but NASCAR for allowing this
> travesty to happen. She must have some very dirty dirt on the France
> family because they seem to be afraid of her.

Travesty? It's a car number.

--

-Mike-
mmarlo...@alltel.net

Alan Jones

Aug 20, 2007, 5:33:29 PM8/20/07

It's an identity he has built upon for almost a decade. It's his
grandfather's number.. a number his father used.. and a number given
to him by his father. It's tradition and heritage. It's a number
hundreds of thousands of fans identify with him. It's not just a
number.

Is #3 just a number? No matter how much you disliked him, saying yes
to that question would be ignorant.

Mike Marlow

Aug 20, 2007, 6:36:02 PM8/20/07

> It's an identity he has built upon for almost a decade. It's his
> grandfather's number.. a number his father used.. and a number given
> to him by his father.

Yes his grandfather used it and I do understand such things as racing
families. However, it is not a number his father gave him. It's a number
NASCAR assigned him after Hut Strickland was done with it. One can attach
too much sentimental value to things that have already been commoditized.

> It's tradition and heritage. It's a number
> hundreds of thousands of fans identify with him. It's not just a
> number.

Yes it is. For fans that have been around for longer than Junior, that
number has adorned lots of cars. Many were driven by fellows quite well
liked by the fans. It's only the new age fans that have no hindsight deeper
than the Junior era that see this as such an issue.

> Is #3 just a number? No matter how much you disliked him, saying yes
> to that question would be ignorant.

I don't dislike any of the Earnhardts, but yes the 3 is just a number.
Owing to Earnhardt's own personal accomplishments with that number, I can
understand a period of honoring Earnhardt by not re-issuing it, but as far
as I'm concerned that number can roll around the track again any time now.
That's quite a bit different from the issue with the 8.

Should every other number that a driver's grandfather raced on the dirt
circuit be a protected number?

It's just a number.

--

-Mike-
mmarlo...@alltel.net

tonystewar...@yahoo.com

Aug 20, 2007, 6:50:31 PM8/20/07
> mmarlowREM...@alltel.net

Nobody is trying to protect it, Jr wanted it, Teresa didn't want to
give it up (out of spite IMO) and that's, that. Jr will move on, and
so will Teresa.

It's still a win, win for Jr, because his new merchandise will sell
like hotcakes, while the 8 merchandise (with a new driver) will sit on
the shelves.

Unless of course Mark Martin drives the 8 car full time : )

Carey Akin

Aug 20, 2007, 6:58:38 PM8/20/07

"Alan Jones" <ajo...@sportswriterusa.com> wrote in message

> I was wrong too. I felt sure Jr would be driving the Bud #8. Bud and
> Jr are such a good match I could not imagine them parting, and I
> thought NASCAR would make sure Jr kept his number. I think most of
> my disappointment is not with Teresa but NASCAR for allowing this
> travesty to happen. She must have some very dirty dirt on the France
> family because they seem to be afraid of her.

What? The LAST thing NASCAR is going to do in interfere in the business
operation of a team. The scope of your ignorance expands with every post.

Carey in Manvel

Alan Jones

Aug 20, 2007, 8:39:24 PM8/20/07
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:36:02 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
<mmarlo...@alltel.net> wrote:

>"Alan Jones" <ajo...@sportswriterusa.com> wrote in message
>>
>> It's an identity he has built upon for almost a decade. It's his
>> grandfather's number.. a number his father used.. and a number given
>> to him by his father.
>
>Yes his grandfather used it and I do understand such things as racing
>families. However, it is not a number his father gave him. It's a number
>NASCAR assigned him after Hut Strickland was done with it. One can attach
>too much sentimental value to things that have already been commoditized.

Dale Earnhardt bought the number for 2 million dollars. He went
after that number specifically for Jr. As you should now know after
all of the discussion on this matter, NASCAR maintains very little
involvement in the transaction of numbers.

>> It's tradition and heritage. It's a number
>> hundreds of thousands of fans identify with him. It's not just a
>> number.
>
>Yes it is. For fans that have been around for longer than Junior, that
>number has adorned lots of cars. Many were driven by fellows quite well
>liked by the fans. It's only the new age fans that have no hindsight deeper
>than the Junior era that see this as such an issue.

Who? Hut Strickland? Who are you comparing to Dale Jr?

>> Is #3 just a number? No matter how much you disliked him, saying yes
>> to that question would be ignorant.
>>

>I don't dislike any of the Earnhardts, but yes the 3 is just a number.
>Owing to Earnhardt's own personal accomplishments with that number, I can
>understand a period of honoring Earnhardt by not re-issuing it, but as far
>as I'm concerned that number can roll around the track again any time now.
>That's quite a bit different from the issue with the 8.
>
>Should every other number that a driver's grandfather raced on the dirt
>circuit be a protected number?
>
>It's just a number.

Mike, sometimes you will put forth one of the few and far between
good arguments seen in RASN. And, sometimes you pick, I'm sorry but,
one of the dumbest possible positions to take.

Jr wants the number. His fans want the number. TERESA even wants the
number. Mike, my friend, IT IS NOT JUST A NUMBER. This must be the
dumbest 'serious' argument on RASN yet this year. (shakes head)

Lucygrace

Aug 20, 2007, 9:52:36 PM8/20/07

Why would NASCAR decide who gets the number when it's owned by the team?
I'm sure there's alot more going on between Jr. and Theresa then we will
ever know.

LG

SG

Aug 20, 2007, 10:07:12 PM8/20/07
Lucygrace wrote:
> Alan Jones wrote:
>> I was wrong too. I felt sure Jr would be driving the Bud #8. Bud and
>> Jr are such a good match I could not imagine them parting, and I
>> thought NASCAR would make sure Jr kept his number. I think most of
>> my disappointment is not with Teresa but NASCAR for allowing this
>> travesty to happen. She must have some very dirty dirt on the France
>> family because they seem to be afraid of her.
>> On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:17:13 -0700 (PDT), Heather Guillemaud
>> <dawn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What is very sad to me is I have defended her. So Alan I stand
>>> corrected, she is a B#$%!
>>

> Why would NASCAR decide who gets the number when it's owned by the team?

wrong

> I'm sure there's alot more going on between Jr. and Theresa then we will
> ever know.

right

Mike Marlow

Aug 21, 2007, 6:47:53 AM8/21/07

"Lucygrace" <lucy...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> Why would NASCAR decide who gets the number when it's owned by the team?
> I'm sure there's alot more going on between Jr. and Theresa then we will
> ever know.

Methinks you should pay attention to the abundance of posts on numbers in
NASCAR. Teams do not own numbers.

--

-Mike-
mmarlo...@alltel.net

Mike Marlow

Aug 21, 2007, 7:14:40 AM8/21/07

> Mike, sometimes you will put forth one of the few and far between
> good arguments seen in RASN. And, sometimes you pick, I'm sorry but,
> one of the dumbest possible positions to take.

No it isn't. It's simply a different position than yours and those who
believe Junior is owed the number. There is nothing dumb about that.

> Jr wants the number. His fans want the number. TERESA even wants the
> number. Mike, my friend, IT IS NOT JUST A NUMBER. This must be the
> dumbest 'serious' argument on RASN yet this year. (shakes head)

I well understand that the number is desired. I suspect is it quite
possible that Dale Sr. wanted that number because it was his father's old
number and that Teresa is holding to the idea that he wanted it within DEI
and she's going to do her level best to ensure that it remains there. It's
quite possible that to her (and maybe even for good reason), it was merely
coincidental that it was Jr. who got the number, as opposed to Sr. having
sought out the number specifically for Jr. In other words, that he wanted
the number in his company, and if it had been Kerry that had made it up into
Cup the number would have been on his car. The key point being that it's
possible the reason Jr. ended up with the 8 was the coincidence of his
arrival on the scene and the company he drove for. One has to wonder if Sr.
would have gone after the 8 for Jr. if Jr. had signed on with Rick Hendrick
10 years ago. I somewhat doubt it.

There's no doubt in my mind that what is also at work to some degree is
Teresa's abstinence. But - she has more entitlement to keep the number than
Jr. does. That's the way numbers work in NASCAR. Throw all of the
sentimental stuff you want at it, but that's the way numbers work. Despite
the controversy that the number issue is raising it is, in the end, just a
number.

--

-Mike-
mmarlo...@alltel.net

tonystewar...@yahoo.com

Aug 21, 2007, 10:00:05 AM8/21/07
On Aug 20, 9:52 pm, Lucygrace <lucygr...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Alan Jones wrote:
> > I was wrong too. I felt sure Jr would be driving the Bud #8. Bud and
> > Jr are such a good match I could not imagine them parting, and I
> > thought NASCAR would make sure Jr kept his number. I think most of
> > my disappointment is not with Teresa but NASCAR for allowing this
> > travesty to happen. She must have some very dirty dirt on the France
> > family because they seem to be afraid of her.
>
> > On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:17:13 -0700 (PDT), Heather Guillemaud
> > <dawn1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >> What is very sad to me is I have defended her. So Alan I stand
> >> corrected, she is a B#$%!
>
> Why would NASCAR decide who gets the number when it's owned by the team?

http://www.jayski.com/pages/faqrace.htm#numbers

Chuck Steak

Aug 21, 2007, 3:18:40 PM8/21/07
In article Alan Jones <ajo...@sportswriterusa.com> wrote:

>It's an identity he has built upon for almost a decade. It's his
>grandfather's number.. a number his father used.. and a number given
>to him by his father. It's tradition and heritage. It's a number
>hundreds of thousands of fans identify with him. It's not just a
>number.

Junior hasn't really "built it up" too much.
Not that many wins, or poles, no titles, and out of the chase
possibly two times...
And the number is not really unique to the Earnhardt clan.

>Is #3 just a number? No matter how much you disliked him, saying yes
>to that question would be ignorant.

I don't think anyone would argue the #3 association with Dale Earnhardt.
But to compare the #8, to the #3.. is 'really' ignorant...

For the record.. I would have liked to seen him keep it, as I think it
really does mean more to him, than to Teresa.
That said...
however, I understand the deal. It's her's. She did nothing wrong.
Period.
And... he's still going to make millions, no matter what car number
he has, or how many races he wins..
I'd be grateful for that.
And... that I had an extremely famous dad
that handed me the biggest fanbase ever,
before I even did anything on the track.....

Carey Akin

Aug 21, 2007, 7:12:36 PM8/21/07

"Alan Jones" <ajo...@sportswriterusa.com> wrote in message

> Dale Earnhardt bought the number for 2 million dollars. He went
> after that number specifically for Jr. As you should now know after
> all of the discussion on this matter, NASCAR maintains very little
> involvement in the transaction of numbers.

Bought it? Not quite so. Do you know what was in DE's mind? I doubt it.
I would imagine that it could be said the No. 8 was for DEI. Later, Jr.
became a driver for DEI. It would make sense that DEI, as a tribute to the
father of the founder of the team, would want to keep the No. 8. A real DE
fan just might see it that way.

> Who? Hut Strickland? Who are you comparing to Dale Jr?

Same amount of championships for each driver.

> Mike, sometimes you will put forth one of the few and far between
> good arguments seen in RASN. And, sometimes you pick, I'm sorry but,
> one of the dumbest possible positions to take.

Oh, now THAT is rich.

> Jr wants the number. His fans want the number. TERESA even wants the
> number. Mike, my friend, IT IS NOT JUST A NUMBER. This must be the
> dumbest 'serious' argument on RASN yet this year. (shakes head)

No, it isn't just a number. The legacy belongs to the team.

Not just a hired driver.

Carey in Manvel

Alan Jones

Aug 22, 2007, 2:11:41 PM8/22/07
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 07:14:40 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
<mmarlo...@alltel.net> wrote:

>"Alan Jones" <ajo...@sportswriterusa.com> wrote in message
>
>> Mike, sometimes you will put forth one of the few and far between
>> good arguments seen in RASN. And, sometimes you pick, I'm sorry but,
>> one of the dumbest possible positions to take.
>
>No it isn't. It's simply a different position than yours and those who
>believe Junior is owed the number. There is nothing dumb about that.

It's dumb. Is the #21 just a number. The #8 didn't exist at DEI
until Jr started there. The number is identified with him as much or
more than with DEI. The number has meaning and significance to
'millions' of his fans.

If they're just numbers, why doesn't NASCAR collect them all back
each race or each year and reissue them randomly. It's not because
each team already has a particular number painted on all their cars.
It's because the fans in the stands and those watching TV look for
the particular number of their favorite driver. The fans identify
with and relate to that number. Put a black #3 sticker on the back
glass of your pickup truck and everyone instantly knows who it is
and what you mean. Walk up to someone with a #3 tattoo and tell him
it's just a number. I dare ya.

>> Jr wants the number. His fans want the number. TERESA even wants the
>> number. Mike, my friend, IT IS NOT JUST A NUMBER. This must be the
>> dumbest 'serious' argument on RASN yet this year. (shakes head)
>>

>I well understand that the number is desired. I suspect is it quite
>possible that Dale Sr. wanted that number because it was his father's old
>number and that Teresa is holding to the idea that he wanted it within DEI
>and she's going to do her level best to ensure that it remains there. It's
>quite possible that to her (and maybe even for good reason), it was merely
>coincidental that it was Jr. who got the number, as opposed to Sr. having
>sought out the number specifically for Jr. In other words, that he wanted
>the number in his company, and if it had been Kerry that had made it up into
>Cup the number would have been on his car. The key point being that it's
>possible the reason Jr. ended up with the 8 was the coincidence of his
>arrival on the scene and the company he drove for. One has to wonder if Sr.
>would have gone after the 8 for Jr. if Jr. had signed on with Rick Hendrick
>10 years ago. I somewhat doubt it.

Irrelevant. The number was not given to Kerry. He is not racing Cup
with DEI, and most likely never will. And, he has not raced the #8
for the last nine years.

>There's no doubt in my mind that what is also at work to some degree is
>Teresa's abstinence. But - she has more entitlement to keep the number than
>Jr. does. That's the way numbers work in NASCAR. Throw all of the
>sentimental stuff you want at it, but that's the way numbers work. Despite
>the controversy that the number issue is raising it is, in the end, just a
>number.

So it's just a number for the drivers but not just a number for the
owners and that's just how it works. That's just weak and wrong.

Mike Marlow

Aug 22, 2007, 2:32:18 PM8/22/07

> If they're just numbers, why doesn't NASCAR collect them all back
> each race or each year and reissue them randomly. It's not because
> each team already has a particular number painted on all their cars.
> It's because the fans in the stands and those watching TV look for
> the particular number of their favorite driver. The fans identify
> with and relate to that number. Put a black #3 sticker on the back
> glass of your pickup truck and everyone instantly knows who it is
> and what you mean. Walk up to someone with a #3 tattoo and tell him
> it's just a number. I dare ya.

It's still just a number Alan. You can place as much emotion on it as you
wish, but the fact of the matter is that when a driver leaves a team, his
number stays with the team. It has happened before with plenty of drivers.
It does not matter that Junior has a more rabid fan base than most other
drivers, that's still the way it's been and the way it should continue to
be. I could not care less about idiots who tatoo driver's numbers on
themselves, so I'd have no desire to tell any 3 fan or any other driver's
fan anything at all about such a foolish thing. It's their choice and I
have no interest in engaging it. Those three fans will have to get a grip
at some point if that number is released for another driver to use. It will
likely happen at some point, and... oh well.

>>I well understand that the number is desired. I suspect is it quite
>>possible that Dale Sr. wanted that number because it was his father's old
>>number and that Teresa is holding to the idea that he wanted it within DEI
>>and she's going to do her level best to ensure that it remains there.
>>It's
>>quite possible that to her (and maybe even for good reason), it was merely
>>coincidental that it was Jr. who got the number, as opposed to Sr. having
>>sought out the number specifically for Jr. In other words, that he wanted
>>the number in his company, and if it had been Kerry that had made it up
>>into
>>Cup the number would have been on his car. The key point being that it's
>>possible the reason Jr. ended up with the 8 was the coincidence of his
>>arrival on the scene and the company he drove for. One has to wonder if
>>Sr.
>>would have gone after the 8 for Jr. if Jr. had signed on with Rick
>>Hendrick
>>10 years ago. I somewhat doubt it.
>
> Irrelevant. The number was not given to Kerry. He is not racing Cup
> with DEI, and most likely never will. And, he has not raced the #8
> for the last nine years.

You miss the point Alan, which is very relevant. Would Sr. have secured the
number 8 for Junior if Junior had started with Hendrick racing as opposed to
DEI? I doubt it. That dilutes the claim that Sr. went after the number for
Jr. and intended him to have that number for life. I just don't believe you
can make that claim. Mark Martin raced in the 6 for more years than Junior
has raced in the 8, and has every bit as much recogintion associated with
his (old) car number, yet when he left, his number stayed behind and he
stepped into a new number. It's not the freakin' end of the world Alan.
It's happened thousands of times. Geeze - unwrap some of that emotion
you've bundled this whole thing up in.

>>There's no doubt in my mind that what is also at work to some degree is
>>Teresa's abstinence. But - she has more entitlement to keep the number
>>than
>>Jr. does. That's the way numbers work in NASCAR. Throw all of the
>>sentimental stuff you want at it, but that's the way numbers work.
>>Despite
>>the controversy that the number issue is raising it is, in the end, just a
>>number.
>
> So it's just a number for the drivers but not just a number for the
> owners and that's just how it works. That's just weak and wrong.

Where did you come up with that twist in your interpretation of what I said?
She has the entitlement Alan. That *is* the way numbers work in NASCAR
whether you want to accept it or not. She does not have to defend why she
wants to keep the number - it's issued to her.

--

-Mike-
mmarlo...@alltel.net

YooperBoyka

Aug 22, 2007, 3:24:29 PM8/22/07

"Alan Jones" <ajo...@sportswriterusa.com> wrote in message

> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 07:14:40 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
> <mmarlo...@alltel.net> wrote:
>
>>"Alan Jones" <ajo...@sportswriterusa.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Mike, sometimes you will put forth one of the few and far between
>>> good arguments seen in RASN. And, sometimes you pick, I'm sorry but,
>>> one of the dumbest possible positions to take.
>>
>>No it isn't. It's simply a different position than yours and those who
>>believe Junior is owed the number. There is nothing dumb about that.
>
> It's dumb. Is the #21 just a number. The #8 didn't exist at DEI
> until Jr started there. The number is identified with him as much or
> more than with DEI. The number has meaning and significance to
> 'millions' of his fans.

Tell it to Bobby Allison.
By that logic Davey should have taken 28 to the grave with him.
It didn't exist at Yates till he showed up.

> If they're just numbers, why doesn't NASCAR collect them all back
> each race or each year and reissue them randomly. It's not because
> each team already has a particular number painted on all their cars.
> It's because the fans in the stands and those watching TV look for
> the particular number of their favorite driver.

Ummm,...no.
It's because NASCAR has *always* leased the numbers to
the car owners.
If your car carries it, you have first shot at it next year.
If you drop it, someone else can snatch it up.

> The fans identify
> with and relate to that number. Put a black #3 sticker on the back
> glass of your pickup truck and everyone instantly knows who it is
> and what you mean. Walk up to someone with a #3 tattoo and tell him
> it's just a number. I dare ya.

Anyone who would tattoo a car number on their body ain't got
both oars in the water anyway, so the conversation likely wouldn't
happen in my case.
Very few drivers have been fortunate enough to remain with one team
their entire career to begin with, so your logic is intrinsically flawed.
King Richard? He OWNED the car!
Tell me what number you associate with Cup champ Terry Labonte?
Riiight.

What's weak and wrong is your logic.
A lot of youse guys sound like children crying because you can't take
the pony at the zoo home with you.
Face it,...it ain't yours.

Alan Jones

Aug 22, 2007, 4:10:06 PM8/22/07

And I'm telling you that's WRONG, Mike. I know how it works. I know
how it is. I know how it has been. And, that's not good enough for
me.

Why does the owner have entitlement? Because NASCAR says so? "That's
just how it is." Not good enough. Because the owners lay out the
money to run a team? Well, the drivers lay their lives and physical
well being on the line every race. Doesn't that count. What about
the fans. Don't they count. Isn't it supposed to be about the fans.
According to NASCAR it is, but in this case they're getting screwed.

You are comfortable with the way things are. I am not. That's fine,
but don't tell me it's "just a number", or "that's just the way it
is". That is so so... (searching...) so... OBTUSE. Sorry, forgive
me, I don't mean you personally, just your argument.

">G< ©"

Aug 22, 2007, 4:17:33 PM8/22/07
YooperBoyka wrote:
> "Alan Jones" <ajo...@sportswriterusa.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 07:14:40 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
>> <mmarlo...@alltel.net> wrote:
>>
>>> "Alan Jones" <ajo...@sportswriterusa.com> wrote in message

>>> No it isn't. It's simply a different position than yours and those who
>>> believe Junior is owed the number. There is nothing dumb about that.
>> It's dumb. Is the #21 just a number. The #8 didn't exist at DEI
>> until Jr started there. The number is identified with him as much or
>> more than with DEI. The number has meaning and significance to
>> 'millions' of his fans.
>
> Tell it to Bobby Allison.
> By that logic Davey should have taken 28 to the grave with him.
> It didn't exist at Yates till he showed up.

Had Davey *died driving* the 28, that might have happened...

--
>G< ©

David Starr

Aug 22, 2007, 5:34:16 PM8/22/07
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 20:10:06 GMT, Alan Jones <ajo...@sportswriterusa.com> wrote:

>And I'm telling you that's WRONG, Mike. I know how it works. I know
>how it is. I know how it has been. And, that's not good enough for
>me.
>
>Why does the owner have entitlement? Because NASCAR says so? "That's
>just how it is." Not good enough. Because the owners lay out the
>money to run a team? Well, the drivers lay their lives and physical
>well being on the line every race. Doesn't that count. What about
>the fans. Don't they count. Isn't it supposed to be about the fans.
>According to NASCAR it is, but in this case they're getting screwed.

The only thing that counts is money. Getting the sponsor's name on camera.
Drivers don't count. There's thousands on them that would pay to drive in Cup.
Fans don't count. They're sheep and will buy what they're told to buy.
It's all about the money.
Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography

Web Site: www.destarr.com

Alan Jones

Aug 22, 2007, 5:46:38 PM8/22/07

Sadly, you are right. I don't blame the fans though. They do their
best to support NASCAR in good faith. It's NASCAR's fault for taking
advantage the fans.

Carey Akin

Aug 22, 2007, 7:04:50 PM8/22/07

> And I'm telling you that's WRONG, Mike. I know how it works. I know
> how it is. I know how it has been. And, that's not good enough for
> me.

You are showing your ignorance again, Janal.

> Why does the owner have entitlement? Because NASCAR says so? "That's
> just how it is." Not good enough. Because the owners lay out the
> money to run a team? Well, the drivers lay their lives and physical
> well being on the line every race. Doesn't that count. What about
> the fans. Don't they count. Isn't it supposed to be about the fans.
> According to NASCAR it is, but in this case they're getting screwed.

No, the owner has the entitlement because he PAID for it. I know that seems
to be a concept that irritates you no end. And, no, the drivers are PAID
to risk their lives and drive. Fans, they will come anyway. Fans are NOT
entitled to have it their way. They can, however vote with their feet and
their dollars. Do we now not have races and only had trophies to drivers
that the FANS feel DESERVE them? Jeez Louise. I can't even imagine what
kind of politics you argue. It is about the racing. Owners put up the
money for the cars, drivers drive them and the fans pay to watch.

> You are comfortable with the way things are. I am not. That's fine,
> but don't tell me it's "just a number", or "that's just the way it
> is". That is so so... (searching...) so... OBTUSE. Sorry, forgive
> me, I don't mean you personally, just your argument.

You are being obtuse and you are VERY wrong. Nothing changes. I guess your
head in the sand.

Carey in Manvel

Carey Akin

Aug 22, 2007, 7:05:50 PM8/22/07

> Sadly, you are right. I don't blame the fans though. They do their
> best to support NASCAR in good faith. It's NASCAR's fault for taking
> advantage the fans.

Then do us a favor. Feel indignant and abused. Go back to your baseball,
football, or whatever. You obviously can't handle racing.

Carey in Manvel

Chuck Steak

Aug 22, 2007, 8:12:17 PM8/22/07
In article Alan Jones <ajo...@sportswriterusa.com> wrote:

>Why does the owner have entitlement? Because NASCAR says so? "That's
>just how it is." Not good enough.

How can it be 'not good enough'???
It's THEIR organization!!!!!!
They made up the rules nearly 60 years ago!!
EVERY owner, EVERY driver that has EVER joined
NASCAR, has received a rulebook, and they have ALL
agreed to abide by it.

Because "MPD" Dale Earnhardt Jr., a decent, not great, driver at best,
and a portion of his fans, want to keep the number,
NASCAR is supposed to change the way it has been
doing business for six decades??

You can't change something like that for "Dale Junior".
Get a freakin' life, people...

Mark

Aug 22, 2007, 9:59:26 PM8/22/07

Dan

Just because Nascar says that's the way it is, doesn't necessarily
make it right which is the way I took the intent of the OP comments.
Nascar is in court right now over a few things that Nascar has always
said thats the way it is, but this time they very well may lose in a
court of law. Some of those types of deals have been done that way
for nearly six decades, and they very well may have been wrong for six
decades.

Frankly this really has nothing to do directly with Jr, he just
happens to be the poster boy for it at the moment. It could have just
as easily been Jeff Gordon wanting to keep the 24. The fact that its
family only complicates the situation.

Getting a Nascar rule book is worthless. IF its not written in
pencil, it should be cause they don't pay any attention to it anyway.
IF they did, they wouldn't be so afraid to let the ordinary fan have a
copy to read the rules for themselves and see just how often they
don't follow their own rules. The only thing they ever follow is
EIRI.

The template speech is sooner or later going to be challenged.
Frankly if someone managed to sneak a tape recorder into the oval
office during the delivery of the template speech, they very well may
have far more money than Nascar when its all over. Nascar is not
always right, regardless of whether they want to admit it or not when
they are wrong.

Mark

Aug 22, 2007, 10:25:49 PM8/22/07

No the owner doesn't own the numbers. The numbers are assigned by
Nascar to the teams and as long as they stay in the sport and CONTINUE
to use them, they get to keep them the way the system is now. Frankly
if someone had the guts and Nascar followed its own procedures the 3
could be run by anyone, though its still assigned to RCR. Petty
Enterprises had to start running the 43 again after Richard retired or
risk losing the number to another team. Its a policy that really
needs to be looked at again.

tonystewar...@yahoo.com

Aug 22, 2007, 10:47:50 PM8/22/07
On Aug 22, 9:59 pm, Mark <mblackwell1...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Getting a Nascar rule book is worthless. IF its not written in
> pencil, it should be cause they don't pay any attention to it anyway.
> IF they did, they wouldn't be so afraid to let the ordinary fan have a
> copy to read the rules for themselves and see just how often they
> don't follow their own rules. The only thing they ever follow is
> EIRI.

It's the only sport I follow that there is NO rule book for the
public.

Chuck Steak

Aug 23, 2007, 11:57:18 AM8/23/07
In article Mark <mblackw...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Aug 22, 7:12 pm, chuck_st...@nospam.com (Chuck Steak) wrote:

>> How can it be 'not good enough'???
>> It's THEIR organization!!!!!!
>> They made up the rules nearly 60 years ago!!
>> EVERY owner, EVERY driver that has EVER joined
>> NASCAR, has received a rulebook, and they have ALL
>> agreed to abide by it.

>> You can't change something like that for "Dale Junior".

>> Get a freakin' life, people...
>>
>> Dan

>Dan

>Just because Nascar says that's the way it is, doesn't necessarily
>make it right which is the way I took the intent of the OP comments.
>Nascar is in court right now over a few things that Nascar has always
>said thats the way it is, but this time they very well may lose in a
>court of law. Some of those types of deals have been done that way
>for nearly six decades, and they very well may have been wrong for six
>decades.

Mark... for Pete's sake.
We are talking about a freakin' number here.
I don't see where NASCAR has been wrong for decades, because
they give the number to the OWNER..
The OWNERS are what keeps the sport going, from a
basic level. THEY own the cars, which carry the numbers.
THEY apply for the numbers.
To all of a sudden say that NASCAR should change this
old, rule, because of Junior, is ridiculous.

Years ago, before drivers had contracts, and the sport was
not as stable as it is now, an owner could have very likely put
several drivers in the car during a season.
What was he supposed to do? Repaint the car every other week?

Let's stop trying to convince ourselves that Junior should be allowed
to keep the 8, when the fact of the matter is, the OWNERS are
actually the ones that should have the numbers.
IT'S THEIR CAR!

>Getting a Nascar rule book is worthless. IF its not written in
>pencil, it should be cause they don't pay any attention to it anyway.

Real examples, please??

Chuck Steak

Aug 23, 2007, 12:15:49 PM8/23/07
In article "tonystewar...@yahoo.com"

>It's the only sport I follow that there is NO rule book for the
>public.

You could always join NASCAR....

Tom Duwe

Aug 23, 2007, 12:36:39 PM8/23/07

> In article Mark <mblackw...@yahoo.com> wrote:

<snip>

>>Getting a Nascar rule book is worthless. IF its not written in
>>pencil, it should be cause they don't pay any attention to it anyway.
>
> Real examples, please??
>

> Dan

Dan...gotta admire your steadfast insistence on reality!

But, it's gittin' tuffer, eh?
--
Tom in Bristol...holdin' the line.

Alan Jones

Aug 23, 2007, 12:57:21 PM8/23/07

There is resistance to seeing the #8 within the HMS organization. To
that I say, it's "just a number", right..? It also seems to me that
some fans will resist change at any cost. As NASCAR apologists, the
sanctioning body can do no wrong. Any request for action or change
is an assault on the entire NASCAR community.

In this case, no rule change or tweak is needed. NASCAR simply needs
to exercise its already determined authority and assign the #8 to
'team owner' Rick Hendrick. He's not 'just' a driver. He's an owner
with the same 'entitlements' as Teresa, right..?

Despite claiming to have absolute authority over the numbers, NASCAR
refuses to do right by Jr and his fans. Why? Because NASCAR allows
the numbers to be bought and sold. With this turn of events, we now
know using the numbers as a commodity is wrong.

It has taken this situation with Jr to expose the flaw but it could
have easily been another popular driver and number as you said,
Mark. It was only a matter of time. The collision course was set.
For however many decades it has been going on, we now know it is
wrong.

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:59:26 -0700, Mark <mblackw...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Just because Nascar says that's the way it is, doesn't necessarily

>make it right which is the way I took the intent of the OP comments...

Mister Excitement

Aug 23, 2007, 1:14:24 PM8/23/07

> There is resistance to seeing the #8 within the HMS organization. To
> that I say, it's "just a number", right..? It also seems to me that
> some fans will resist change at any cost. As NASCAR apologists, the
> sanctioning body can do no wrong. Any request for action or change
> is an assault on the entire NASCAR community.
>
> In this case, no rule change or tweak is needed. NASCAR simply needs
> to exercise its already determined authority and assign the #8 to
> 'team owner' Rick Hendrick. He's not 'just' a driver. He's an owner
> with the same 'entitlements' as Teresa, right..?
>
> Despite claiming to have absolute authority over the numbers, NASCAR
> refuses to do right by Jr and his fans. Why? Because NASCAR allows
> the numbers to be bought and sold. With this turn of events, we now
> know using the numbers as a commodity is wrong.
>
> It has taken this situation with Jr to expose the flaw but it could
> have easily been another popular driver and number as you said,
> Mark. It was only a matter of time. The collision course was set.
> For however many decades it has been going on, we now know it is
> wrong.

I can't believe anybody can be so wrong as you. Unbelievable.

Chuck Steak

Aug 23, 2007, 2:21:33 PM8/23/07
In article Alan Jones <ajo...@sportswriterusa.com> wrote:

>In this case, no rule change or tweak is needed. NASCAR simply needs
>to exercise its already determined authority and assign the #8 to
>'team owner' Rick Hendrick. He's not 'just' a driver. He's an owner
>with the same 'entitlements' as Teresa, right..?

You are saying that it is NOT the same entitlement!
You are saying, that Hendrick should have MORE entitlement than DEI!!
You are saying that DEI, the current, rightful holder of the #8,
should have NO claim to the number, and it should be taken away,
and given to another owner.

>Despite claiming to have absolute authority over the numbers, NASCAR
>refuses to do right by Jr and his fans.

But in doing so, shows that they are protecting the owners
that actually OWN the cars that the decals are on!

>It has taken this situation with Jr to expose the flaw.....

>For however many decades it has been going on, we now know it is
>wrong.

Don't be saying "WE".
Say "I" believe it is wrong...

All you people bitch about NASCAR not going by the rules,
which most of the time you don't even know,
yet when they do... you bitch more.
Because you've been watching racing on tv now for a few years,
all of a sudden 60 year old, NASCAR, doesn't know shit about
racing, or taking care of it's owners.

Carey Akin

Aug 23, 2007, 2:47:16 PM8/23/07

"Alan Jones" <ajo...@sportswriterusa.com> and clueless as ever, wrote in
message news:bbcrc3lo5l4hd7phb...@4ax.com...

> There is resistance to seeing the #8 within the HMS organization. To
> that I say, it's "just a number", right..? It also seems to me that
> some fans will resist change at any cost. As NASCAR apologists, the
> sanctioning body can do no wrong. Any request for action or change
> is an assault on the entire NASCAR community.

No, the sanctioning body can do a lot wrong. One of the few things that
they haven't changed is how the numbers are handled. Just because someone
doesn't agree with your misguided thoughts doesn't mean it is an assault.
You get this way quite a bit.

> In this case, no rule change or tweak is needed. NASCAR simply needs
> to exercise its already determined authority and assign the #8 to
> 'team owner' Rick Hendrick. He's not 'just' a driver. He's an owner
> with the same 'entitlements' as Teresa, right..?

Uh, NASCAR does not assign numbers, they are chosen by the team owners at
the start of the season, but you know this. No, Hendrick isn't a driver.
He does NOT have the same entitlement to the number that Teresa does since
he didn't run it last year. Or ever that I may recall.

> Despite claiming to have absolute authority over the numbers, NASCAR
> refuses to do right by Jr and his fans. Why? Because NASCAR allows
> the numbers to be bought and sold. With this turn of events, we now
> know using the numbers as a commodity is wrong.

You seem to have an issue with capitalism. That makes you yet more
disturbing. Do us all a favor. Don't vote.

> It has taken this situation with Jr to expose the flaw but it could
> have easily been another popular driver and number as you said,
> Mark. It was only a matter of time. The collision course was set.
> For however many decades it has been going on, we now know it is
> wrong.

Ho hum. No flaw, no collision. Owners have the rights to the numbers.
Same as it has been, same as it will be. Go back to baseball or football,
or whatever else you occupied yourself with before Fox started carrying
NASCAR. You can't handle racing.

Carey in Manvel

Carey Akin

Aug 23, 2007, 2:47:46 PM8/23/07

"Mister Excitement" <mr_exc...@excite.com> wrote in message

> I can't believe anybody can be so wrong as you. Unbelievable.

Yet nothing new.

Carey in Manvel

Mark

Aug 23, 2007, 3:58:47 PM8/23/07
On Aug 23, 10:57 am, chuck_st...@nospam.com (Chuck Steak) wrote:

I am going to use the same line that the Mercury astrounauts used. No
Bucks. No Buck Rogers. They knew the bucks came because of the
drivers Nascar markets the drivers. The owners are being pushed out
these days every single day, thanks in part to a qualifying system
that is grossly unfair to a new or smaller team. Owners never have
owned the numbers. They get assigned them from Nascar as long as they
continue to use them. Where it should have changed is when the
drivers started keeping the rights to market their own name and that
effective for a stock car driver these days a number is practically a
name. The system should have been changed to allow for this, but it
never was. The drivers are what attract the attention which attracts
the sponsors which feed the money machine. Painting a race car these
days isn't even paint more often than not. Its stickers. Twenty five
years ago it would have been a valid point. In years past the owner
system worked, but the times have a changed and this is one way it
could have changed that would have been better for everyone. But back
then the owners were often drivers and the owners were as big of a
celebrity as the drivers were. Bud Moore could have attracted just as
much attention then as his driver. The Wood Bros maybe more unless it
was Pearson at the wheel.

Owners are now just the poor step child of Nascar. Within 3 years
unless things are changed drastically there will only be 11 or 12 of
them. They are told they have to field two cars, one of which they
have to build before the design is even finalized, can't work on it,
carry two sets of parts and spares, and to make matters worse it is
one of the worst race cars to ever hit a race track.

Now as far as the rulebook changes, there are way too many examples of
that to really even bother. Just off the top of my head Nascar had
been running the distance for decades and racing was just as exciting
as ever. If you finished under yellow, that was the breaks. Then
someone got the wild idea to red flag one with a few laps to go.
Nothing was in the rules that allowed that, or prohibited it for that
matter, yet to make a SHOW not a race that changed things. Now if you
tell the teams up front, that is one thing but that didn't happen.
Now you had the trouble of how to do it consistently, and Nascar being
consistent isn't exactly their strong suit and it lead to some really
ugly and embarrassing situations. Again in comes the green white
checked, but tv complained that it made the races run over so that was
limited to one attempt.

If the rulebook were so followed then why don't they let the ordinary
fan read it for themselves. I never got an answer when the change
occurred that gave the driver 3 laps to acknowledge the black flag
when it was shown. That was used for decades in that manner, even
with radios being in common use. Then Robby's deal. If the rule was
changed prior to the race, how bout a date anyone?

The entertainment yellows are just too often to discuss.

Chuck Steak

Aug 23, 2007, 7:37:07 PM8/23/07
In article Mark <mblackw...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Then
>someone got the wild idea to red flag one with a few laps to go.
>Nothing was in the rules that allowed that, or prohibited it for that
>matter,

Actually, there was.
You are going by your assumption of the rules..

>Again in comes the green white
>checked, but tv complained that it made the races run over so that was
>limited to one attempt.

Actually, it was one attempt from day one.
You are going by your assumption of the rules..

>I never got an answer when the change
>occurred that gave the driver 3 laps to acknowledge the black flag
>when it was shown. That was used for decades in that manner, even
>with radios being in common use. Then Robby's deal. If the rule was
>changed prior to the race, how bout a date anyone?

Actually, it was never changed.
You are going by your assumption of the rules.

>The entertainment yellows are just too often to discuss.

On this.... I agree with you!!!

YooperBoyka

Aug 23, 2007, 2:59:43 AM8/23/07

"Mark" <mblackw...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Oh great!
Now the fuckin' lawyers are involved.
I'm *sure* <rolls eyes> that'll make it all *much* better!
<shakes head>

Thanks guys.

YooperBoyka

Aug 23, 2007, 2:50:26 AM8/23/07

"">G< ©"" <jimmy...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Oh, give it a rest!
It wasn't *ever* gonna happen.

Is Junior dead????
No.
So why on God's green earth does *anyone* think he deserves
more respect than someone who *is*????
THAT....is the fucking point.
Fuckin' whiners.
I suggest you save up your allowance and buy whatever crap
they fling at you next year, and stop bitching about how what you have
is losing value.
*That*, my friend, is the ONLY reason this is an issue.
All this "respect" and "loyalty" shit is nothing more than a ruse to
try and protect whatever value a few dipshits thought they had
by "investing" in some other asshole's name.

Here's a more appropriate suggestion,...
Go buy a life, cuz if this is really all that important to you,
you ain't got one.

The fast guy wins, all the rest are losers.

YooperBoyka

Aug 23, 2007, 2:56:18 AM8/23/07

> No the owner doesn't own the numbers. The numbers are assigned by
> Nascar to the teams and as long as they stay in the sport and CONTINUE
> to use them, they get to keep them the way the system is now. Frankly
> if someone had the guts and Nascar followed its own procedures the 3
> could be run by anyone, though its still assigned to RCR.

...because Childress PAYS for it!!!
Are you guys really that dense?

>Petty
> Enterprises had to start running the 43 again after Richard retired or
> risk losing the number to another team. Its a policy that really
> needs to be looked at again.

Says those attatched to Junior's nutsack.
None of the rest of us has a problem.

elaich

Aug 25, 2007, 5:51:32 PM8/25/07
">G< ©" <jimmy...@gmail.com> wrote in news:2f815$46cc99ef$4b591f79$22991
@ALLTEL.NET:

> Had Davey *died driving* the 28, that might have happened...

No, it would not have. Yates kept the #28 alive by putting Irvan in it (a
move I detest to this day - I would rather have seen Earnhardt driving the
28 before that moron,) then Jarrett, and eventually let it go back to
NASCAR.

--
A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?