Suggestion for Indy

-v-

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
Rather than going up against the Coca Cola 600 why doesn't IRL reschedule
the Indy 500 for the 5/14/00 open date on the NASCAR schedule?

This would make it possible for fans or drivers wanting to do both races the
opportunity. It would also help, but not eliminate, the boredom of a weekend
without Winston Cup racing.
--
-v-
Go #3 #20 #8

bluemax1

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
Because the Indy 500 is still the greatest race in the world, regardless of what
the myopic fans of the Nascar taxicabs think. The worlds greatest race, and
the worlds longest entertainment spectacle have peacefully co-existed for
quite some time. They can continue to do so.

THop

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
It is not the world's greatest race. Maybe spectacle, but not race. I am an
IRL fan, but the IRL has become so bad I am even not interested. The main
reaseon the race will not be rescheduled is because of tradition. Look for
the CART boys to kuck serious butt. Too bad Stewart can't be there to make
it better...

R.G. Koehler Jr.

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
-v- wrote:

> Rather than going up against the Coca Cola 600 why doesn't IRL reschedule
> the Indy 500 for the 5/14/00 open date on the NASCAR schedule?

WC does not run on Easter or Mother's Day. Never have.

--
Rich Koehler
rgkoehler(at)lucent(dot)com

bluemax1

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
I couldn't agree with you more about the Irl, I hate it, along with Tony George
for destroying big league open wheel racing in this country before our very
eyes. Having said that, the Indy 500 proves year in and year out that it is
bigger than all the players put together, and that especially goes for that
little worm of a control freak TG. It has survived the carnage of 1911, the
depression, two world wars, owner changes, rear engined cars, the track
surface alone had been three different substances, for God's sake!!! How many
tracks can claim that?? There is more history, class, and tradition in one
fucking brick at that place than the "Lowes motor speedway" will ever have. I've
been to both tracks several times, and both races, there is no comparison. The
Indy 500 is broadcast to more countries than any other race on earth, and has a
total listening/viewer audience larger than any other sporting event with the
sole exception of the superbowl.The 500 is watched and followed by all, even
now, while the word 600 plays to the Nascar fan only, who happen to be the
laughingstock of most of the world's race fans.

THop wrote:

> It is not the world's greatest race. Maybe spectacle, but not race. I am an
> IRL fan, but the IRL has become so bad I am even not interested. The main
> reaseon the race will not be rescheduled is because of tradition. Look for
> the CART boys to kuck serious butt. Too bad Stewart can't be there to make
> it better...
>
> bluemax1 wrote in message <391974A7...@bellsouth.net>...
> >Because the Indy 500 is still the greatest race in the world, regardless of
> what
> >the myopic fans of the Nascar taxicabs think. The worlds greatest race,
> and
> >the worlds longest entertainment spectacle have peacefully co-existed for
> >quite some time. They can continue to do so.
> >

> >-v- wrote:
> >
> >> Rather than going up against the Coca Cola 600 why doesn't IRL reschedule
> >> the Indy 500 for the 5/14/00 open date on the NASCAR schedule?

kevinH

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
IRL is a little slow upstairs. Check out RacingOne.com's E-News. It provides an
easy way to get breaking auto-racing news wherever you are for free.
http://www.racingone.com/enews_form.asp

Subscribe now and you could win $50,000! We will also be awarding a Sony
Walkman each week to a lucky E-News subscriber and a Sony Trinitron 27" TV each
month to a lucky E-News subscriber.

kevin596014

james

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00

-v- <vxmNOvxSPA-2M*@altara.cominvalid> wrote in message

> Rather than going up against the Coca Cola 600 why doesn't IRL reschedule
> the Indy 500 for the 5/14/00 open date on the NASCAR schedule?

What's an Indy 500? ;P

Not being a pointy car fan, i don't know for sure, but is it not a long
standing tradition for the Indy 500 to be run on the May long weekend?
I guess my opinion is why should they have to move their date just because
there is a cup race the same day?

hbkelley...@hotmail.com

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
kevinH <khin5...@aol.com> wrote:

SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY!
^K BYE
--
Notice my new address above!
Aloha, Henry

hoosier55

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
As a born and bred Hoosier, I believe that while Tony George had
something good in mind, that is, to control the money being
spent on cars...and to keep the series from being as expensive
as F1..which of course you can attend in Indy this year..it was
the owners that made asses of themselves for not seeing what he
was trying to do...
Soon you'll see drivers from CART moving to IRL..Al JR....
This series will be big soon, just as Busch and Craftsman Truck
has grow to be sometimes, even more exciting than the Sunday
racers.
Gator racing lives and breathes the INDY 500. And anyone who has
never been there should go once and live the GREATEST SPECTACLE
IN RACING.
But TG has already tried to help the IRL by shortening the time
the track is open in the month of May. I believe he cut almost 1
week out of the deal.
But what do I know...I've only gone to Indy for races since 69
and hell...there haven't been that many good drivers there...or
has there?
KJ

tjmc

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
On Wed, 10 May 2000 13:46:14 GMT, "-v-"
<vxmNOvxSPA-2M*@altara.cominvalid> wrote:

>Rather than going up against the Coca Cola 600 why doesn't IRL reschedule
>the Indy 500 for the 5/14/00 open date on the NASCAR schedule?

Huh?

Pointy car might have nothing else to claim over NASCAR but it can claim
tradition.

Since 1911 (except for the war years) the Indianapolis 500 (originally
known as the International Classic) has *always* been scheduled for the
Memorial Day weekend.

1911. Think about that. Earth had yet to see a world war; Taft was
president having just succeeded Teddy Roosevelt; Rasputin was spinning
his evil with the wife of the Russian Tzar; the Manchu Dynasty was still
ruling China...and they were racing at Indy.

You'd have better luck rescheduling Christmas.

tjmc

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
On Thu, 11 May 2000 00:46:56 GMT, "-v-"
<vxmNOvxSPA-2M*@altara.cominvalid> wrote:

>You left out the most important thing of 1911. The US Army selected
>Browning's M 1911 45 ACP as its standard service pistol. A tradition until
>the 1980's when some low life approved the Beretta 9mm.

Interesting you should say that just now.

Tonight, after a Boy Scout shooting outing this weekend with my son, I'm
cleaning a government issue Remington Rand .45 automatic pistol I
purchased new from the DCM many years ago. Remarkable weapon.

The gun was initially issued to the military to replace the standard
.32. The reason for upgrading to that particular caliber was its
man-stopping ability.

In close-in skirmishes in the Philippines, rebel forces would wrap
themselves in silk. The .32s would penetrate but not put an enemy on
the ground. The silk wrapping would prevent the loss of blood allowing
him to live long enough overtake a position.

Facing a .45, however, a man running at full speed will never land his
next stride when hit squarely in the chest.

Problem with the .45 was its bulk. Too difficult to handle and holster.
That's primarily the reason for going to the 9mm, originally issued by
NATO.

___

I was too weak to defend, so I attacked.

--R.E.Lee

Motley

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00

"THop" <tl...@freeweb.com> wrote in message

> It is not the world's greatest race. Maybe spectacle, but not race.

So true.

But, I personally enjoy going to the 500 and then coming home or going to a
party to watch the 600. That's become it's own tradition. And I think it
gives a few ballsy drivers the chance to run 1,100 miles in a day. Can you
imagine how cool it would be if somebody ever won both races? Awesome.

--
motley
'94 1\2 MoonBuggy

I am an
> IRL fan, but the IRL has become so bad I am even not interested. The main
> reaseon the race will not be rescheduled is because of tradition. Look for
> the CART boys to kuck serious butt. Too bad Stewart can't be there to make
> it better...
>

> bluemax1 wrote in message <391974A7...@bellsouth.net>...
> >Because the Indy 500 is still the greatest race in the world, regardless
of
> what
> >the myopic fans of the Nascar taxicabs think. The worlds greatest
race,
> and
> >the worlds longest entertainment spectacle have peacefully co-existed
for
> >quite some time. They can continue to do so.
> >

> >-v- wrote:
> >
> >> Rather than going up against the Coca Cola 600 why doesn't IRL
reschedule
> >> the Indy 500 for the 5/14/00 open date on the NASCAR schedule?

-v-

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00

"tjmc" <tj...@enteract.com> wrote in message

> On Wed, 10 May 2000 13:46:14 GMT, "-v-"
> <vxmNOvxSPA-2M*@altara.cominvalid> wrote:
>
> >Rather than going up against the Coca Cola 600 why doesn't IRL reschedule
> >the Indy 500 for the 5/14/00 open date on the NASCAR schedule?
>
> Huh?
>
> Pointy car might have nothing else to claim over NASCAR but it can claim
> tradition.
>
> Since 1911 (except for the war years) the Indianapolis 500 (originally
> known as the International Classic) has *always* been scheduled for the
> Memorial Day weekend.
>
> 1911. Think about that. Earth had yet to see a world war; Taft was
> president having just succeeded Teddy Roosevelt; Rasputin was spinning
> his evil with the wife of the Russian Tzar; the Manchu Dynasty was still
> ruling China...and they were racing at Indy.
>
> You'd have better luck rescheduling Christmas.

You left out the most important thing of 1911. The US Army selected
Browning's M 1911 45 ACP as its standard service pistol. A tradition until
the 1980's when some low life approved the Beretta 9mm.

-v-

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
"bluemax1" <blue...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> Because the Indy 500 is still the greatest race in the world, regardless
of what
> the myopic fans of the Nascar taxicabs think. The worlds greatest
race, and
> the worlds longest entertainment spectacle have peacefully co-existed
for
> quite some time. They can continue to do so.

I have to disagree with you about the greatest race in the world. Indy maybe
great in terms of history and tradition but so is the Americas Cup and both
are dull to watch.

I would say the Bristol night race would be the greatest to watch. Just my
opinion, your mileage may vary.

Say when is the Checker Cab 400 anyway? I checked Jayski and he didn't have
it.

-v-

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
"hoosier55" <hoosier5...@earthlink.net.invalid> wrote in message

> As a born and bred Hoosier, I believe that while Tony George had
> something good in mind, that is, to control the money being
> spent on cars...and to keep the series from being as expensive
> as F1..which of course you can attend in Indy this year..it was
> the owners that made asses of themselves for not seeing what he
> was trying to do...
> Soon you'll see drivers from CART moving to IRL..Al JR....
> This series will be big soon, just as Busch and Craftsman Truck
> has grow to be sometimes, even more exciting than the Sunday
> racers.
> Gator racing lives and breathes the INDY 500. And anyone who has
> never been there should go once and live the GREATEST SPECTACLE
> IN RACING.
> But TG has already tried to help the IRL by shortening the time
> the track is open in the month of May. I believe he cut almost 1
> week out of the deal.
> But what do I know...I've only gone to Indy for races since 69
> and hell...there haven't been that many good drivers there...or
> has there?
> KJ

If I am going to watch open wheel racing it has to be Cart, at least its the
real thing.

-v-

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00

> On Thu, 11 May 2000 00:46:56 GMT, "-v-"
> <vxmNOvxSPA-2M*@altara.cominvalid> wrote:
>
> >You left out the most important thing of 1911. The US Army selected
> >Browning's M 1911 45 ACP as its standard service pistol. A tradition
until
> >the 1980's when some low life approved the Beretta 9mm.
>
> Interesting you should say that just now.
>
> Tonight, after a Boy Scout shooting outing this weekend with my son, I'm
> cleaning a government issue Remington Rand .45 automatic pistol I
> purchased new from the DCM many years ago. Remarkable weapon.
>
> The gun was initially issued to the military to replace the standard
> .32. The reason for upgrading to that particular caliber was its
> man-stopping ability.
>
> In close-in skirmishes in the Philippines, rebel forces would wrap
> themselves in silk. The .32s would penetrate but not put an enemy on
> the ground. The silk wrapping would prevent the loss of blood allowing
> him to live long enough overtake a position.
>
> Facing a .45, however, a man running at full speed will never land his
> next stride when hit squarely in the chest.
>
> Problem with the .45 was its bulk. Too difficult to handle and holster.
> That's primarily the reason for going to the 9mm, originally issued by
> NATO.

I think ammunition compatibility with the NATO standard 9mm was the main
issue.

Colt Gov't Model =38 oz 8.5" overall length
Beretta 92F = 34 oz 8.54 " overall length

SR71 Pav

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
Perhaps the better question is why NASCAR puts the Coca-Colca 600 on the same
day as the Indy 500. Personally, I love it. I get to go to Indy during the
day, go home and watch the 600. My only problem is that my two favorite races
are both on the same day, so I have to wait an entire year for them again.

-Pav

SR71 Pav

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
>This series will be big soon, just as Busch and Craftsman Truck
>has grow to be sometimes, even more exciting than the Sunday
>racers.

Amen to that! We already have two more races for next year, and I think the
ISC is very open to putting in more at their tracks. The IRL is the most
under-rated racing series around. I think it has some of the best racing out
there, surely better than the CART and F1 2 hour parades. I still say that the
series is destined to absolutely take off at some point, and it's time may
finally be coming, especially with so many CART drivers wanting to get to F1
and seeing CART as the stepping stone it's fans view the IRL as. In
conclusion, Indy is alive and well and the only way I'd miss it would be to go
to the 600 once in my life.

-Pav

bluemax1

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00

-v- wrote:

> "bluemax1" <blue...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > Because the Indy 500 is still the greatest race in the world, regardless
> of what
> > the myopic fans of the Nascar taxicabs think. The worlds greatest
> race, and
> > the worlds longest entertainment spectacle have peacefully co-existed
> for
> > quite some time. They can continue to do so.
> >

> I have to disagree with you about the greatest race in the world. Indy maybe
> great in terms of history and tradition but so is the Americas Cup and both
> are dull to watch.

Indy has never been boring to me, nor to millions of other folks. Some 500's
of course, are better than others, and more memorable, but all in all, they
are always great races.The unique qualifying format alone, especially on bump
day, produces more drama than most other races. If you would like the racing
personification of the word "boring" , I believe it can be defined by the
barnburner of this years Daytona 500, and those thrilling spectacles at Michigan
and Vegas.

> I would say the Bristol night race would be the greatest to watch. Just my
> opinion, your mileage may vary.

Wonderful, no doubt about it. I think that any race can become memorable, it
depends on how it all unfolds.

> Say when is the Checker Cab 400 anyway? I checked Jayski and he didn't have
> it.

Quick, call Bruton!! I sense a marketing coup here!

bluemax1

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00

-v- wrote:

Not exactly. The primary thought was (and continues to be) that in a firelight
he with the most rounds generally wins. That was the main reason that the
Beretta became our "official" sidearm. A little sidebar here, there is a
school of thought that says if Checzoslovokia has been free in the mid 80's,
that the CZ 75 would have kicked Beretta's ass in the field tests. Imho, the
1911 is a rare thing, a machine as close to perfection as one can get, my
Springfield Armory 1913 production, serial # in the mid 5 digits, is a piece
of timeless craftsmanship that no soulless modern firearm can match.

> Colt Gov't Model =38 oz 8.5" overall length
> Beretta 92F = 34 oz 8.54 " overall length

-v-

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00

"bluemax1" <blue...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Could this be the topic of another RASN poll ? 45 vs 40 vs 9

That was the main reason that the
> Beretta became our "official" sidearm. A little sidebar here, there is a
> school of thought that says if Checzoslovokia has been free in the mid
80's,
> that the CZ 75 would have kicked Beretta's ass in the field tests.

SIG came close too.

Imho, the
> 1911 is a rare thing, a machine as close to perfection as one can get, my
> Springfield Armory 1913 production, serial # in the mid 5 digits, is a
piece
> of timeless craftsmanship that no soulless modern firearm can match.

You are right about that. While I like Glock for function, aesthetically its
nothing like the Colt especially the older ones.

Ms.Goodwrench

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
On Wed, 10 May 2000 10:39:35 -0400, bluemax1 <blue...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Because the Indy 500 is still the greatest race in the world, regardless of what
>the myopic fans of the Nascar taxicabs think. The worlds greatest race, and
>the worlds longest entertainment spectacle have peacefully co-existed for
>quite some time. They can continue to do so.

USED TO BE might be a more accurate term... of course, we can always hope that'll be remedied in the
near future.

But yeah, moving the Indy 500 from Memorial Day weekend would be like moving the Rosebowl to Jan. 8.

Ms.Goodwrench 3-8-1

~~~Go Rusty Malcolm!~~~

"I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two
institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death."
-- George Carlin

Al Haggarty

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
In article <391989A8...@bellsouth.net>,

For a common troll, you put a lot of effort into your messages.

Alan Haggarty (the myopic one)

> THop wrote:
>
> > It is not the world's greatest race. Maybe spectacle, but not race.

I am an
> > IRL fan, but the IRL has become so bad I am even not interested. The
main
> > reaseon the race will not be rescheduled is because of tradition.
Look for
> > the CART boys to kuck serious butt. Too bad Stewart can't be there
to make
> > it better...
> >
> > bluemax1 wrote in message <391974A7...@bellsouth.net>...

> > >Because the Indy 500 is still the greatest race in the world,
regardless of
> > what
> > >the myopic fans of the Nascar taxicabs think. The worlds
greatest race,
> > and
> > >the worlds longest entertainment spectacle have peacefully
co-existed for
> > >quite some time. They can continue to do so.

> > the
> > weekend

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

bluemax1

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
That's "Mr" Troll to you.................

hoosier55

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
What makes you think that CART is any more REAL than NLIRL?
CART is just the poor mans F1...at least Tony George is trying to
keep the little guy in gator racing....And HELL, theres only 2
Americans racing in the series last time I heard.
The competition in NLIRL is just as exciting as CART...why don't
you go to a race and see for yourself?
KJ..

-v-

May 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/12/00

> What makes you think that CART is any more REAL than NLIRL?
> CART is just the poor mans F1...at least Tony George is trying to
> keep the little guy in gator racing....And HELL, theres only 2
> Americans racing in the series last time I heard.
> The competition in NLIRL is just as exciting as CART...why don't
> you go to a race and see for yourself?
> KJ..

Been there (Orlando) and done that (IRL). Still dull.

Ken Beard

May 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/12/00
Be glad - if he's sitting there typing one of his infamous tirades, he's not
out on the streets.

And we're myopic! Boy, that's a hoot. The man is a laugh riot, if nothing
else.

--
Ken's Sig 3.01

"Who is the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?"
- Obi-Wan Kenobi

volksy(at)yahoo(dot)com

Go #43 and #44!

"Al Haggarty" <a_hag...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Tyler Richard

Nov 28, 2023, 10:59:44 PM11/28/23
On Wednesday, May 10, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, R.G. Koehler Jr. wrote:
> -v- wrote:
> >
> > Rather than going up against the Coca Cola 600 why doesn't IRL reschedule
> > the Indy 500 for the 5/14/00 open date on the NASCAR schedule?
> >
> WC does not run on Easter or Mother's Day. Never have.
> --
> Rich Koehler
> rgkoehler(at)lucent(dot)com
> killerk(at)home(dot)com
NEVER WILL EITHER HELL YAHH BROTHER! RACE HELL PRAISE DALE