Q re: Autopsy Reports

Celeste

Jul 2, 2003, 7:45:15 PM7/2/03
After reading the Earnhardt accident report, I started thinking about the
other drivers that died.

Does anyone know if there were autopsies done on Tony Roper, Kenny Irwin, or
Adam Petty? Or accident investigations that were released to the public?

Celeste

RIP3

Jul 2, 2003, 10:54:25 PM7/2/03

"Celeste" <Cel...@nospam.net> wrote in message

I almost guarantee there was.. depending on the state law (I don't know the
laws regarding autopsy) but from what I understand, anytime somebody dies in
an accident... or unknown cause where there is questions as too what
actuially killed them... there is an autopsy. Maybe if they die out of
medical supervision? Whatever, the fact is the others did not create the
media circus that Dales death did.....

cfswestern

Jul 2, 2003, 11:24:17 PM7/2/03

"RIP3" <R.I...@mountain.net> wrote in message

Autopsy stuff is extremely variable. In one locale a roofer falls off a
roof and dies of injuries, no need for autopsy. In another local there
might be at least a drug/alcohol screen. In another locale there might be a
full autopsy. Just depends. If they get a new coroner somewhere there may
be a change of policy. Budget constraints may bring on another. It is not
uniform, but somewhere along the line a doctor has to sign the death
certificate. That much is pretty uniform. Could be the person's regular
doctor or could be emergency room sort of doctor. It is not all as dramatic
as in those law and order shows.

Forgetting about corruption and conspiracy theories there are a fair amount
of suicides that go down as gun cleaning mishaps or traffic accidents or
tuning a car with the garage door closed. For the good of the family.

But if somebody turns up dead in a car trunk or a vacant lot of course there
will be an autopsy,anywhere.

But the vast vast majority of people take their last breath then go to the
undertaker without the drama of an autopsy. And forget that urban legend of
"donating body to science". For one thing they get enough cadavers from
prisons and state hospitals and such. And for another thing if some medical
school is accepting cadavers for medical students when they are done the med
students practice sewing them up nice and neat and the family still has to
make arrangements to dispose of the body. There is no free funeral
involved.

Tom S

Jul 3, 2003, 12:39:18 AM7/3/03

I'm quite sure that Tony Roper's family requested not to have an autopsy
performed on him so they never did. In Adam Petty's autopsy the family
requested that no pictures would be taken so they didn't take any. I think
that the family has a lot to do with it when it involves a not-so-suspicious
death like dying in a race car crash. You already know the cause of
death--an injury suffered in a car crash--so there's really no major need to
even do an autopsy. The only good reason would be if a driver suddenly died
while behind the wheel of a race car because of something not related to a
crash.

cfswestern

Jul 3, 2003, 1:12:01 AM7/3/03

"Tom S" <now...@noplace.com> wrote in message

That was an excellent answer. For this ng it was absolutely superb. There
is a significant amount of leeway in that entire autopsy business.

RIP3

Jul 3, 2003, 1:29:59 AM7/3/03

"Tom S" <now...@noplace.com> wrote in message

I can't believe that with all that has happened... Earnhardts family
requested that pictures be taken of his autopsy though.....

Mark Stahl

Jul 3, 2003, 3:53:42 AM7/3/03

"cfswestern" <cfswe...@lvcm.com> wrote in message

-snip-

> And for another thing if some medical
> school is accepting cadavers for medical students when they are done the
med
> students practice sewing them up nice and neat

no we don't. it's simply not possible, given how they're dissected.

> and the family still has to
> make arrangements to dispose of the body.

no, in the US the school disposes of the bodies. i am fairly certain that
there is no direct contact with a family after donation and distribution;
it's randomized.

> There is no free funeral
> involved.

it's still quite possible for people to donate their bodies for med school
dissection, but my understanding is that the families never know exactly
where they go and who they end up with.

the new book, "stiff" (i've forgotten the author's name) is a very
entertaining read about what happens with bodies after their owners are
through with em.

ScottB

Jul 3, 2003, 7:53:19 AM7/3/03
"Mark Stahl" writes:

>the new book, "stiff" (i've forgotten the author's name) is a very
entertaining read about what happens with bodies after their owners are through
with em.

No thanks, Doc. I'll stick with Patricia Cornwell. Dr.Kay Scarpetta's real
enough for me.

Semper Fidelis

Barry Posner

Jul 3, 2003, 9:40:05 AM7/3/03

Tom S wrote:

> I'm quite sure that Tony Roper's family requested not to have an autopsy
> performed on him so they never did. In Adam Petty's autopsy the family
> requested that no pictures would be taken so they didn't take any.

Do you folks remember that the walking pustule from the U of F Alligator
who was trying to publish DE's autopsy photos actually went and got the
autopsy photos of John Nemechek and Rodney Combs, and put them up on his
website.

bp

Julia

Jul 3, 2003, 10:07:31 AM7/3/03

"Barry Posner" <bup...@psu.edu> wrote in message

I don't remember that particular one, but I do remember the scum from some
website that published the autopsy photos of Neil Bonnett and Rodney Orr.
Although, I think the publication of ANY autopsy photos is vile, I felt the
publication of Bonnett's were particularly loathsome due to close friendship
that Earnhardt and Bonnett shared. It seemed kinda like the guy was trying
to prove a point that if he couldn't get Earnhardt's then Earnhardt's buddy
would have to do ~ an extra kick in the teeth to the family, friends and
fan's of Dale when they were already down.

Barry Posner

Jul 3, 2003, 10:21:59 AM7/3/03

Julia wrote:

> I don't remember that particular one, but I do remember the scum from some
> website that published the autopsy photos of Neil Bonnett and Rodney Orr.

D'OH! That's what I was thinking of, I goofed on the specific drivers.
Rodney Combs is still alive, I mixed his and Orr's names up. Why did I
mention Nemechek? Probably because it was the most recent NASCAR death
in Florida before Earnhardt's.

That's for setting me straight. That'll teach me to check the archives
next time.

bp

Dale Bright®

Jul 3, 2003, 11:45:02 AM7/3/03
On 03 Jul 2003 11:53:19 GMT, scot...@wmconnect.com.net.org (ScottB)
wrote:

This series used to rool.

It hasn't for quite some time now, though.

Dale Bright®

"non compos mentis"

ScottB

Jul 3, 2003, 12:04:45 PM7/3/03
Dale Bright® writes:

>This series used to rool.

>It hasn't for quite some time now, though.

This is correct. Her writing has taken a strange turn. Inbred island folk,
totally unbelievable police departments and now, Jack the Ripper. I'm into
perusing Elmore Leonard and Robert B. Parker at this time. Spencer RAWKS!!!!!1!

Semper Fidelis

Ms.Goodwrench

Jul 3, 2003, 12:16:45 PM7/3/03
scot...@wmconnect.com.net.org (ScottB) wrote in

John Sandford's Nicholas Davenport rawks also.

La Vonna

Jul 3, 2003, 12:21:32 PM7/3/03

"Barry Posner" <bup...@psu.edu> wrote in message

Glad Rodney didn't read this before Julia's correction ;-)

Dale Bright®

Jul 3, 2003, 1:26:30 PM7/3/03
On 03 Jul 2003 16:04:45 GMT, scot...@wmconnect.com.net.org (ScottB)
wrote:

Spencer rools.

Also, give the Davenport series a try if you haven't already. John
Sandford's "Prey" series. They rool.

Also, James Patterson's Alex Cross series. The movies suck, though.

Dale Bright®

Jul 3, 2003, 1:27:04 PM7/3/03
On 3 Jul 2003 16:16:45 GMT, "Ms.Goodwrench"
<msgoodwr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Yesth. But, you misplet Lucas Davenport.

HTH

ScottB

Jul 3, 2003, 2:02:03 PM7/3/03
"Ms.Goodwrench" writes:

>John Sandford's Nicholas Davenport rawks also.

That's "Lucas", my dear. And yes, he does.

Semper Fidelis

ScottB

Jul 3, 2003, 2:03:09 PM7/3/03
Dale Bright® writes:

>Also, give the Davenport series a try if you haven't already. John Sandford's
"Prey" series. They rool.

>Also, James Patterson's Alex Cross series. The movies suck, though.

BTDT

Semper Fidelis

Address@sprintmail.com Mike Marlow

Jul 3, 2003, 4:20:21 PM7/3/03

"RIP3" <R.I...@mountain.net> wrote in message

Families don't request it. Taking pictures is a normal part of the autopsy
process. I'm not sure I agree with the poster who stated that Adam Petty's
family requested pictures not be taken - maybe in some jurisdictions that's
possible, but generally, if you allow the autopsy then everything that is
part of autopsy is done, including taking pictures.
--

-Mike-
mma...@REMOVEsprintmail.com

Cory

Jul 3, 2003, 5:11:12 PM7/3/03
Tom S wrote:
>>After reading the Earnhardt accident report, I started thinking about the
>>other drivers that died.
>>
>>Does anyone know if there were autopsies done on Tony Roper, Kenny Irwin,
>
> or
>
>>Adam Petty? Or accident investigations that were released to the public?
>

> I'm quite sure that Tony Roper's family requested not to have an autopsy
> performed on him so they never did. In Adam Petty's autopsy the family
> requested that no pictures would be taken so they didn't take any.

I'm not so sure that the family can request such a thing, depending on
the jurisdiction the autopsy is performed in. If state law requires
that photos must be part of an autopsy "report", then they have to be
taken. The only thing the family can do is stop them from being
published by some sleaze-oid by taking said sleaze-oid to court.

> I think that the family has a lot to do with it when it involves a not-so-suspicious
> death like dying in a race car crash.

Depending on state law, families can have some input. State law comes
before family "comfort" and wishes, and if state law dictates an autopsy
be performed, I don't believe the family can stop it w/out going to court.

--- Cory

Thomas

Jul 4, 2003, 12:18:07 PM7/4/03
On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 12:27:04 -0500, Dale Bright®
<dabr...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>"Ms.Goodwrench" <msgoodwr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>scot...@wmconnect.com.net.org (ScottB) wrote:

>>> This is correct. Her writing has taken a strange turn. Inbred island
>>> folk, totally unbelievable police departments and now, Jack the
>>> Ripper. I'm into perusing Elmore Leonard and Robert B. Parker at this
>>> time. Spencer RAWKS!!!!!1!
>>>

>>John Sandford's Nicholas Davenport rawks also.
>
>Yesth. But, you misplet Lucas Davenport.
>
>HTH

<lmao> Once again Jean is nabbed playing know-it-all. You should
have done your usual Googlethon before opening your trap.

"Ain't hard to stalk a loser like you."
"Post your real address."

SAPtard in:
<00056cec8010f5f3820103282b4241c4@TeraNews>
<g2HLa.1843$gx....@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>

wayne mann

Jul 4, 2003, 3:06:27 PM7/4/03
On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 12:18:07 -0400, Thomas <tmoor3@rock_onmaps_.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 12:27:04 -0500, Dale Bright®
><dabr...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>>>John Sandford's Nicholas Davenport rawks also.
>>
>>Yesth. But, you misplet Lucas Davenport.
>>
>>HTH
>

><lmao> Once again Jean is nabbed playing know-it-all. You should
>have done your usual Googlethon before opening your trap.
>
>--

If you like that stuff, three of THE BEST is Robert Ludlums,
Bourne Trilogy. NONE better. All of his books that were written by
him alone are good, but his co-written books are crap. I suspect the
only part he wrote was his name on the checks for the royalties.

\\/ayne //\ann

Ms.Goodwrench

Jul 7, 2003, 9:08:51 AM7/7/03

> "Ms.Goodwrench" writes:
>
>>John Sandford's Nicholas Davenport rawks also.
>
> That's "Lucas", my dear. And yes, he does.

DOh! I knew dat. Ya gotta love a RPG writer/homocide investigator. With
a nun for a sidekick :-)

Ever read any David Lindsay? "Mercy" is one of my favorite psychological
suspense psycho murder mysteries. Right up there with Thomas Harris' Red
Dragon/Silence/Hannibal trilogy.