F1: Simtek to miss Canadian GP

Simtek News

Jun 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/2/95

Thursday June 1st 1995

Simtek Grand Prix have today announced that due to financial
constraints, they will not be attending the Canadian Grand Prix in
Montreal in 10 days time.

Team owner Nick Wirth said "Today is a very sad day for everyone who
has been involved with Simtek Grand Prix.

Last Friday in Monaco I met with members of the international media
and explained our current problems, which stem from the failure of a
contracted backer to meet his obligations. During those discussions I
was very open about our situation and I stated that if a package of
support to replace the missing funds was not committed to the team
this week, it would jeopardise our racing future.

Throughout the weekend in Monte Carlo we held endless meetings with
our sponsors, partners and potential backers and whilst all have urged
us to continue, the reality is that none have yet committed the
necessary funding to enable us to do so.

In recent months the team has shown that it has great potential and
much of this has been due to the work of our Dutch driver. Jos has
come from a difficult first season at Benetton and shown absolute
commitment to Simtek Grand Prix. Inevitably - with Jos driving - much
of the focus of the team has been in Holland and many of the
sponsorship discussions that have taken place recently have been with
Dutch companies and individuals. Therefore, it is particularly
disappointing that after endless meetings we have been unable to
attract the anticipated backing from that country.

My partners Barbara Behlau and Konrad Schmidt, our sponsors and
particularly our suppliers have show great support and commitment to
the team throughout our short time in Formula One and it will be a
tragedy if those considering committing to sponsorship do not make
their decision in time."

Jos Verstappen said "I must say that I'm very upset that we cannot
race in Canada. I enjoy driving the Simtek S951 and after my test
yesterday in the Benetton which meant I could compare the cars, I am
sure that the team is working in a good way technically. It is just
such a shame that because of these sponsorship problems, we may not
have the chance of fulfulling the potential of this combination."

Ends.
--
Simtek News