Indy fraud revealed by Tom Sneva!

1 view

Lawrence Sayre

May 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/12/97

During the qualifications for the Indy 500, Tom Sneva tried to explain why the
25/8 rule had to be implemented to gain commitment from sufficient IRL'ers to
run the series as dictated by Tony George. Yet at present its doubtfull that
33 cars will even be in the show!

If the series rules had been modified to the present level, yet the series was
left open and honest (I.E. open to all who are willing to comply with chassis
and engine specifications, yet open enough to permit anyone to make engines
and chasis) the field would have been full, with people standing in line by
the droves to begin the process of bumping by now! Quality drivers and
no-name drivers alike would vie for the 33 slots, as they always have. Indy
rule modifications in the past have never reduced the field to also-rans, and
never jeopardized the field of 33 being present to take the green flag. In
the past, rookies, and new teams have always fielded cars, and greats such as
Bobby Rahal, Al Unser, Emerson Fittipaldi, and Penske have been shut out by
the same. This is racing, and this is what we pay for. The greatest race in
the USA deserves nothing less than a level playing field!

If Tony George wants to keep the cost down by letting G-Force and Dallara
build chassis, then the free market would suggest that if they are truely
price/quality competitive they will have customers, regardless of Tony George.
If not competitive, then they will not have customers, and others will get
the chassis/engine orders. In a free society, newcomers (chassis and engine
suppliers) must prove their worth to a buying public (the racing teams) in
terms of return on investment. A cheap car capable of making the field may be
just what is required by many teams. Greater expense is required of those
demanding the best shot at the field, but as evidenced by Penske, Rahal, et
al, this is no guarantee!

The free market principle is first and foremost being violated by the IRL, and
in a country which prides itself with freedom, this fraud will not stand.
Justice and freedom will prevail, and spectators, along with advertisers, will
vote with thier wallets as to whether or not such a violation of free market
principles should gain and hold our trust. If Americans have any fortitude
left they will boycot this years Indy, and not up for ticket renewal towards
next years event either. Those with little or no fortitude are counted on by
Tony George to finance his fraud and deception.

Man's mind is his basic tool of survival!

lsa...@en.com.NOSPAM (Lawrence Sayre)

*remove '.NOSPAM' for correct E-Mail address*

Tom

May 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/12/97

Lawrence Sayre wrote:

> During the qualifications for the Indy 500, Tom Sneva tried to explain why the
> 25/8 rule had to be implemented to gain commitment from sufficient IRL'ers to
> run the series as dictated by Tony George. Yet at present its doubtfull that
> 33 cars will even be in the show!

33 cars will be in the show.

> If the series rules had been modified to the present level, yet the series was
> left open and honest (I.E. open to all who are willing to comply with chassis
> and engine specifications, yet open enough to permit anyone to make engines
> and chasis) the field would have been full, with people standing in line by
> the droves to begin the process of bumping by now! Quality drivers and
> no-name drivers alike would vie for the 33 slots, as they always have.

based on what study, or is this just a daydream?

Indy rule modifications in the past have never reduced the field to
also-rans, and never jeopardized the field of 33 being present to
take the green flag. In the past, rookies, and new teams have
always fielded cars, and greats such as Bobby Rahal, Al Unser,
Emerson Fittipaldi, and Penske have been shut out by
> the same.

subjective and opinionated.

This is racing, and this is what we pay for. The greatest race in
the USA deserves nothing less than a level playing field!

you admit it.

> If Tony George wants to keep the cost down by letting G-Force and Dallara build chassis, then the free market would suggest that if they are truely price/quality competitive they will have customers, regardless of Tony George. If not competitive, then they will not have customers, and others will get thechassis/engine orders. In a free society, newcomers (chassis and engine suppliers) must prove their worth to a buying public (the racing teams) in terms of return on investment. A cheap car capable of making the field may be just what is required by many teams. Greater expense is required of those demanding the best shot at the field, but as evidenced by Penske, Rahal, et al, this is no guarantee!

Fair disertation on entrupenurial startups, but, nobody, unless they
had to, would invest in a startup company without a guaranteed
market. Penske, swift and Lola would have just told TG "screw you"
and that would have been the end of keeping costs down with a new
chasis and engine combination and TG would be forced to have an
indy 500 with '97 CART rules or no 500 at all. That isn't the free
market, that is $money$ talking.

> The free market principle is first and foremost being violated by the IRL, and in a country which prides itself with freedom, this fraud will not stand.

That's what they said about Income tax, food stamps, AFDC, EPA,
deficit spending, farm subsidies (especially tobacco), medicare,
social security, higher property taxes, gun control- need I go on.

Justice and freedom will prevail, and spectators, along with
advertisers, will vote with thier wallets as to whether or not such
a violation of free market principles should gain and hold our trust.
If Americans have any fortitude left they will boycot this years
Indy, and not up for ticket renewal towards next years event
either. Those with little or no fortitude are counted on by
> Tony George to finance his fraud and deception.

You sound like Billy Clinton: are you one of his speach writers or do
you feed him answers during his press conferences? If not, I
strongly suggest you apply for a job. If you are a student, major in
Political Science. But, first, read the Constitution and Bill of
Rights; then reflect on today's society and re-read your posting.
Then, if you're still interested, investigate the Libertarian Party
and buy a subscription to The National Review.

> Man's mind is his basic tool of survival!

Very, very true!

Tom

Kenneth Plotkin

May 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/12/97

In article <337772...@worldnet.att.net>,
Tom <SWAP...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

[snip]

>You sound like Billy Clinton: are you one of his speach writers or do

[snip]

No he doesn't. Clinton always sounds reasonable, even when he talks
absolute crap.

Ken Plotkin

Kelly Perl

May 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/14/97

Lawrence Sayre wrote:

[snippage]

> If Tony George wants to keep the cost down by letting G-Force and Dallara
> build chassis, then the free market would suggest that if they are truely
> price/quality competitive they will have customers, regardless of Tony George.
> If not competitive, then they will not have customers, and others will get

> the chassis/engine orders. In a free society, newcomers (chassis and engine

> suppliers) must prove their worth to a buying public (the racing teams) in
> terms of return on investment. A cheap car capable of making the field may be
> just what is required by many teams. Greater expense is required of those
> demanding the best shot at the field, but as evidenced by Penske, Rahal, et
> al, this is no guarantee!
>

> The free market principle is first and foremost being violated by the IRL, and

> in a country which prides itself with freedom, this fraud will not stand.

> Justice and freedom will prevail, and spectators, along with advertisers, will
> vote with thier wallets as to whether or not such a violation of free market
> principles should gain and hold our trust. If Americans have any fortitude
> left they will boycot this years Indy, and not up for ticket renewal towards
> next years event either. Those with little or no fortitude are counted on by
> Tony George to finance his fraud and deception.

One thing we learn in economics is that markets get totally
screwy when there is not a lot of trading activity going on, there are
few players on the buyer/seller side, or that some parties have a lot
more information than the other. (And the First Law of Empirical Labor
Economics is that labor markets above entry-level are always screwy no
matter what.)

All these conditions are met in the IRL (and CART)--only about 15
teams, 2 chassis builders, 2 tire suppliers, etc. Thus there is not much
chance of a strong free-market principle being established at the Indy
500. Thus, there is not much of a free market principle to violate.

Moreover, I've always maintained that the reason racing is so
damn expensive is the labor requirements. You can't automate pit crews,
stewards, etc. and the the computer technology available doesn't seem to
save much labor--just uses it in different ways. Also, you can't
outsource pit crews, etc. to Ireland/China/India like you can forms
processing or software writing, so you gotta rely on the most expensive,
and most productive, labor market in the world--the U.S.

I'd be really surprised if the Dallara/G-Force chassis and
Aurora/Infiniti engines are that much less expensive in a real sense than
what it costs to run a low- to mid-level team in CART. Aren't all these
things being heavily subsidized by TG/IMS? (Rhetorical question--I think
it's in the unofficial FAQ/dead horse file. If not, any comment
welcome.)

Anyway, I think I'm going to tape the Indy 500 this year, just for
tradition's sake. I've got Phoenix. (What I will do with the tape is
another matter :-)

Regards,

Kelly