Historical F1 question: Alex Hawkridge?

Kathryn Wilson

Aug 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/18/96

Can someone give me a quick summary of someone named
Alex Hawkridge(sp). He owned an F1 team I think in
the 70's. Later there was some sort of scandal and I'm
not sure what it involved. thanks.

A J Samuels

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

Alex Hawkridge was manager of the Toleman team in the late
70's/early 80's. I think he probably got booted out when the team
was taken over by Benetton in 1985. I don't recall that there was
any particular scandal involved.

AJ

AAA JJJJJJJJ ajsa...@dolomite.win-uk.net
AA AA JJ "It's not a question of whose habitat it is,
AAAAAAA JJ JJ it's a question of how hard you hit it!"
AA AA JJJJJ (Arthur Dent)

Max Crittenden

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

In article <32173F...@netdirect.net>, Kathryn Wilson
<k...@netdirect.net> wrote:

> Can someone give me a quick summary of someone named
> Alex Hawkridge(sp). He owned an F1 team I think in
> the 70's. Later there was some sort of scandal and I'm
> not sure what it involved. thanks.

Never heard of him, and I was following F1 pretty closely in
the 70's. Could you be thinking of Lord Alexander Hesketh?
He had a lot of money to throw around and ran a pretty wild
team, and I seem to recall that he was involved in some sort
of scandal after he dropped out of F1.

James Hunt broke in with Hesketh; they had an interesting
looking car designed by Harvey Postlethwaite, so there was
some good talent in the team. They had some good results
in spite (or because?) of the loose organization.

Max Crittenden STRIKE SLIP, Merit 25 Menlo Park, Calif.

JoRoMa

Aug 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/24/96

On Aug 18, 1996 12:06:28 in article <Historical F1 question: Alex

Hawkridge?>, 'Kathryn Wilson <k...@netdirect.net>' wrote:

>Can someone give me a quick summary of someone named
>Alex Hawkridge(sp). He owned an F1 team I think in
>the 70's. Later there was some sort of scandal and I'm
>not sure what it involved. thanks.

Alex Hawkridge was the team manager (not owner, although he
may/may not have had some shareholding in the team) of the
Toleman F1 team (and as such was Ayrton Senna's first boss
in F1). He dissapeared from the scene when they became
Benetton and I don't know what happened to him after that.
--
Malc
Burnham

'I am not designed to finish second, I am designed to win'.
Ayrton Senna