IRL At Watkins Glenn

Your Pal... Sal

Jun 4, 2006, 5:53:24 PM6/4/06
Is anybody watching...

What do you think of Michael Andretti bad mouthing
Eddie Chever Jr. for taking out Marco?

He said, on live TV, that Cheever did it on purpose
and shouldn't be allowed on the track!

You don't see that kind of "candor" in F1... even regard-
ing Schumacher's debacle last week.

s/s

--
To View My Web Site Go To:
http://home.ptd.net/~salscyn/index.html

Mr Pain

Jun 4, 2006, 5:59:12 PM6/4/06
> You don't see that kind of "candor" in F1... even regard-
> ing Schumacher's debacle last week.

IRL is still racing while F1 is marketing at this point

Message has been deleted

ray o'hara

Jun 4, 2006, 6:48:04 PM6/4/06

"Martin Schmidt" <ikar...@gmx.net> wrote in message

> Your Pal... Sal wrote:
>
> > Is anybody watching...
> >
> > What do you think of Michael Andretti bad mouthing
> > Eddie Chever Jr. for taking out Marco?
>
> Mike is absolutely right. Cheever does not belong on a race track.

maybe but he shouldn't be the ine saying it.
the andrettis have been as hazardous to other racers as any family ever.
like the unsers they feel that everybody should pull over for them and that
these are their private series.
if michael had had to earn his ride he would be unknown.

J H

Jun 4, 2006, 7:28:27 PM6/4/06

"ray o'hara" <r...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> maybe but he shouldn't be the ine saying it.
> the andrettis have been as hazardous to other racers as any family ever.
> like the unsers they feel that everybody should pull over for them and
> that
> these are their private series.
> if michael had had to earn his ride he would be unknown.

You seem an expert. Tell us more. What basis do you have for this bullshit
post?

Signor Emanuel Ravelli

Jun 4, 2006, 8:19:21 PM6/4/06
On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 17:59:12 -0400, "Mr Pain" <MrP...@nospamforme.org>
wrote:

>> You don't see that kind of "candor" in F1... even regard-
>> ing Schumacher's debacle last week.
>
>IRL is still racing while F1 is marketing at this point

Except for the NASCAR style use of full course yellow periods it would
have been an Andretti team rout.

I'm no fan of the IRL but it was still nice to see open wheels racing
in NY, in the rain.

Chas Hurst

Jun 4, 2006, 8:43:15 PM6/4/06

"Your Pal... Sal" <sal...@ptd.net> wrote in message

Chas Hurst

Jun 4, 2006, 8:49:34 PM6/4/06

> Is anybody watching...
>
> What do you think of Michael Andretti bad mouthing
> Eddie Chever Jr. for taking out Marco?
>
> He said, on live TV, that Cheever did it on purpose
> and shouldn't be allowed on the track!
>
> You don't see that kind of "candor" in F1... even regard-
> ing Schumacher's debacle last week.
>
> s/s

Let's try this again.

Danica called him an idiot after he punted her on a restart. Then Michael A
called him a complete idiot.
I don't think he did it on purpose, but Cheever is well past his prime.

John Smith

Jun 4, 2006, 10:10:18 PM6/4/06

"Chas Hurst" <hur...@comcast.net> wrote in message
Cheever slipped and basically said he didn't see Marco.

Mr Pain

Jun 4, 2006, 10:21:54 PM6/4/06
> Is anybody watching...
>
> What do you think of Michael Andretti bad mouthing
> Eddie Chever Jr. for taking out Marco?
>
> He said, on live TV, that Cheever did it on purpose
> and shouldn't be allowed on the track!

As an American, I hate to say it but Scott Speed is the next Eddie Cheever.
I hate them both.

Chas Hurst

Jun 4, 2006, 10:31:23 PM6/4/06

"John Smith" <som...@microsoft.com> wrote in message

It was rather plain that Cheever didn't see him. But he should have. Did
anyone hear his excuse for punting Patrick off the track on a re-start?

David Melville

Jun 4, 2006, 10:49:24 PM6/4/06
In article <Y7WdnbjSgqcB8R7Z...@comcast.com>, j-e-
hillat...@figureitout.net says...
Watching Michael race.
--

Dave

Hal S.

Jun 4, 2006, 11:12:10 PM6/4/06

"David Melville" <spam...@optusnet.c0m./\U> wrote in message

-----------------------------------

Typical Andretti whining. None of them has ever lost a race due to his own
mistake. The deification of the Andretttis by some in the media hasn't
helped open-wheel racing in the U.S. The choice for a lot of folks at the
Indy 500 is "anybody but an Andrettti." And a lot of folks remember what an
ass Michael (and his wife) made of himself while botching up his year in F1.
I'll take the rough and tumble Unsers and Foyts over the slick PR Andretti
products any day. The Andrettis even botched up the 500 this year. First
Michael lets Marco get by him and then Marco thinks he has it in the bag
and lets Hornish slip by him on the last turn -- not every much awareness by
either Marco or his pit crew (including his granddaddy).

Today one of the announcers was touting Marco for F1. The other one spoke up
and said basically -- not so fast, let's wait til we see how finishes this
first season out.

Hal S.

Hal S.

Da Frank

Jun 5, 2006, 12:36:57 AM6/5/06
On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 22:21:54 -0400, "Mr Pain" <MrP...@nospamforme.org>
wrote:

>"Your Pal... Sal" <sal...@ptd.net> wrote in message

For now, Speed is doing ok. Not outstanding by any means, but not
making a fool of himself either, going along slow but steady,
hopefully learning the ways of F1.
Andretti did just the opposite in F1, fooling himself that the F1
circuit will jump around him, not the other way around and he lost
out. He also seems to develop a personal dispute with everyone who
gets near and especially in frotn of him on the track.
In short, he is a fuckwit.

--

Regards, Frank

Von Fourche

Jun 5, 2006, 12:41:50 AM6/5/06

"Hal S." <h.sa...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Why would Marco want to soil himself racing in F1? He should stay in
the IRL where he is allowed to actually race other men. He's not a jockey,
he's a race car driver. Montoya needs to get his butt back over here too.
F1 already burned Cristiano da Matta. I don't want to see the same happen
to Marco and Graham Rahal. It almost makes me sick to think that drivers
like
Helio Castroneves would give up racing wheel to wheel at 200mph for the
honor of finishing in sixth place for Williams at the British Grand Prix. I
know, they will be treated real special in F1. Many people will take their
picture after the race. Journalists will swamp them. But to take that over
having the chance to race wheel to wheel at high speed?

As for the Andretti family - I have Mario Andretti's autograph. Mario
is pure class. Mario is the greatest race car driver ever. Mario Andretti
is a racing god; therefore his offspring is special too. I know Marco is.

CatharticF1

Jun 5, 2006, 1:06:50 AM6/5/06
fa...@ooptushome.com.au (Da Frank) wrote in

Frank!

.. having a bad day ....?

;-p

--
CatharticF1

"What you thought was Freedom is just Greed."

Da Frank

Jun 5, 2006, 3:54:41 AM6/5/06
On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 05:06:50 GMT, CatharticF1 <efer...@heaven.net>
wrote:

Hey, i did say 'Speed is doing ok'. ;-)

Andretti is one of those abrasive, up his own arse guys that you just
want to grab by the throat even if you just see a static picture of
him. Kinda like those little barking Pekinese just begging to be drop
kicked. Hell, he makes Schumacher look like a shy and reasonable
bloke. ;-p

--

Regards, Frank

Ron Burgundy

Jun 5, 2006, 5:15:44 AM6/5/06
fa...@ooptushome.com.au (Da Frank) wrote in

Stop whinging. The pies are the real deal this year. As for my lot,
fuggen handbaggers gave up a 54 point lead...

--

I'm Ron Burgundy

You stay classy, San Diego.

Emma

Jun 5, 2006, 5:50:34 AM6/5/06
Hal S. <h.sa...@comcast.net> wrote:
>Typical Andretti whining.

I see the Andretti's are claiming Eddie did it deliberately - er, why?
What would he have to gain from pushing Marco off?

All he has gained is a load of earache from a kid who hasn't been alive
as long as Eddie has been racing.

I do hope Michael has given as big a telling off to his two team drivers
Kanaan and Herta for taking each other out of contention!

What we should be remembering from this event is the great race that
Scott Dixon had while all around him were falling off track or over each
other.

--
Emma - The Chocolate Monster
http://www.chocmonster.rules.it

The Big Kahuna

Jun 5, 2006, 10:17:16 AM6/5/06
Your Pal... Sal <sal...@ptd.net> wrote:

> Is anybody watching...
>
> What do you think of Michael Andretti bad mouthing
> Eddie Chever Jr. for taking out Marco?
>
> He said, on live TV, that Cheever did it on purpose
> and shouldn't be allowed on the track!
>
> You don't see that kind of "candor" in F1... even regard-
> ing Schumacher's debacle last week.
>
> s/s

The official call "Cheever didn't make a move. He held his line. Marco moved up
alongside him and turned in before he was past Cheever. This was the official
call in from the flagging station to the tower and the tower confirmed that
this account was corroborated by their monitors. How do I know this?
Because I'm the flagger who saw it and called it in.

IOW - Papa is full o' shit."

- forty, posting in RASI.

Jeff York

Jun 5, 2006, 10:19:01 AM6/5/06
fa...@ooptushome.com.au (Da Frank) wrote:

>.. Kinda like those little barking Pekinese just begging to be drop
>kicked.

A friend of mine always refers to them as "throwing dogs".. :-)

--
Jeff. Ironbridge, Shrops, U.K.
je...@xjackfieldx.org (remove the x..x round jackfield for return address)

... "There are few hours in life more agreeable
than the hour dedicated to the ceremony
known as afternoon tea.."

Henry James, (1843 - 1916).

The Big Kahuna

Jun 5, 2006, 10:22:07 AM6/5/06
He was vindicated for colliding with Marco by the officials and there's not
much to say about the alleged punting of Patrick because there was no TV
coverage of it and all we have is her word. Cheever said he didn't have a
choice.

See my other post regarding the call against Marco for the collision with
Eddie.

ric zito

Jun 5, 2006, 10:46:33 AM6/5/06
Da Frank <fa...@ooptushome.com.au> wrote:

> Kinda like those little barking Pekinese just begging to be drop
> kicked.

You mean like this? :-)
http://www.riczito.com/umbro.avi
--
ric at pixelligence dot com

Emma

Jun 5, 2006, 11:03:24 AM6/5/06
The Big Kahuna <big.k...@excite.com> wrote:
>The official call "Cheever didn't make a move. He held his line. Marco
>moved up
>alongside him and turned in before he was past Cheever. This was the official
>call in from the flagging station to the tower and the tower confirmed that
>this account was corroborated by their monitors. How do I know this?
>Because I'm the flagger who saw it and called it in.
>
>IOW - Papa is full o' shit."
>
>- forty, posting in RASI.

Trust Forty to be involved! LOL!

forty

Jun 5, 2006, 12:21:33 PM6/5/06
Your Pal... Sal wrote:
> Is anybody watching...
>
> What do you think of Michael Andretti bad mouthing
> Eddie Chever Jr. for taking out Marco?

Michael has a few good points about Cheever being a poor driver, but was
completely wrong about Cheever taking Marco out. Marco took Cheever out.

> He said, on live TV, that Cheever did it on purpose
> and shouldn't be allowed on the track!

Official call-in from flagging station 13 at the heel of the boot (which
saw the beginning of the incident) was "Car 26 blue moved up on drivers'
right of 51 black going into turn 9 and 26 turned in before he was past
him." The tower confirmed that their monitors corroborated that account.

> You don't see that kind of "candor" in F1... even regard-
> ing Schumacher's debacle last week.
>
> s/s

That wasn't candor, it was a line of bullshit.

--
Forty

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and
mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” - Ernest Hemingway

forty

Jun 5, 2006, 12:24:29 PM6/5/06
Emma wrote:

> What we should be remembering from this event is the great race that
> Scott Dixon had while all around him were falling off track or over each
> other.

Ditto. Dixon ran REALLY well and did a great job handling that track
with its various surface conditions.

forty

Jun 5, 2006, 12:25:56 PM6/5/06
Emma wrote:

> Trust Forty to be involved! LOL!

O RRY??? ;-)

forty

Jun 5, 2006, 12:26:51 PM6/5/06

Well, nice to see some people pay attention.

Hal S.

Jun 5, 2006, 1:10:45 PM6/5/06

"Emma" <Em...@excalvehs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Michael also referred to Eddie as "waste." You're correct about Dixon; I
don't think he has ever gotten enough credit.

Hal S.

Andrew

Jun 5, 2006, 1:58:08 PM6/5/06
Your Pal... Sal wrote:
> Is anybody watching...
>
> What do you think of Michael Andretti bad mouthing
> Eddie Chever Jr. for taking out Marco?
>
> He said, on live TV, that Cheever did it on purpose
> and shouldn't be allowed on the track!
>
> You don't see that kind of "candor" in F1... even regard-
> ing Schumacher's debacle last week.
>
> s/s

No, here in Seattle they ran a 4 hour infomercial on ABC HD.
I had it all set to record, and figured it got rained out.
Now I have to go find a copy of it!

The Champ car race was pretty good though, and the MotoGP race was awesome.

--
Andrew
00 Daytona

Your Pal... Sal

Jun 5, 2006, 2:16:40 PM6/5/06

> No, here in Seattle they ran a 4 hour infomercial on ABC HD.
> I had it all set to record, and figured it got rained out.
> Now I have to go find a copy of it!
> Andrew

As one of my sig lines
go...

You Win A Few. You Lose A Few...
But None Get Rained Out!

s/s

Da Frank

Jun 5, 2006, 5:22:53 PM6/5/06
On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 16:46:33 +0200, add...@in.sig (ric zito) wrote:

>Da Frank <fa...@ooptushome.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Kinda like those little barking Pekinese just begging to be drop
>> kicked.
>
>You mean like this? :-)
>http://www.riczito.com/umbro.avi

LOL.
Funny how i said 'what a great strike', while the girls both cried
'aww that's horrible'. They clearly don't understand good football. ;)

--

Regards, Frank

This old Bob

Jun 5, 2006, 7:38:59 PM6/5/06

> Is anybody watching...
>
> What do you think of Michael Andretti bad mouthing
> Eddie Chever Jr. for taking out Marco?
>
> He said, on live TV, that Cheever did it on purpose
> and shouldn't be allowed on the track!

He's right but the fact that an Andretti said it makes it less crediable.
And no, I was not surprised.

> You don't see that kind of "candor" in F1... even regard-
> ing Schumacher's debacle last week.
>
> s/s
>

> --
> To View My Web Site Go To:
> http://home.ptd.net/~salscyn/index.html

Hal S.

Jun 5, 2006, 11:10:21 PM6/5/06

"This old Bob" <kilb...@spamnotmeAOL.com> wrote in message

After seeing several reruns of the tape of the incident, I don't see anyway
Cheever can be blamed for the incident. Marco is learning the whining well
from Snit and Snot.

Hal S.

TheStang00

Jun 5, 2006, 11:35:21 PM6/5/06

So your saying Cheever cant use his damn mirrors? marco was a bit
agressive, but it was in no way his fault. Cheever has to pay
attention, hes only driving a damn race car.

all in all it was a very exciting race in my opinion, but that incident
hurt the race overall.

--
TheStang00
TheStang00's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/member.php?userid=278655

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Hal S.

Jun 6, 2006, 1:05:50 AM6/6/06

"TheStang00" <TheStang...@no-mx.nodomain.com> wrote in message

No, I didn't say Cheever couldn't use his mirrors. However, he had the line,
Snot Jr. was behind him and came down on Cheever. Snot Jr. was responsible
for maintaining his own line. Are you saying Marco isn't responsible for
where he's pointing the nose of his car? Being named Andretti doesn't give
him right of way. He has to earn it, but not by coming down on the driver
who has the line.

And yes, it was an exciting race. But it would have been even without the
Andretti presence.

Hal S

TheStang00

Jun 6, 2006, 1:27:06 AM6/6/06

marco did not come down on cheever, he was making a pass and really he
was going straight down the edge of the track. cheever is not
responsible for maintaining his own line if there is a car in it! thats
like saying that on an oval course if someone is passing you on the
outside then if you come off the corner like normal right next to the
wall and wreck you and the other driver then it is the other drivers
fault.

i will admit though im somewhat biased, i was sitting on the finish
line at indy and marcos performance there won me over on the spot.

forty

Jun 6, 2006, 8:45:51 AM6/6/06
The tower said they'd give me copies of the footage they had from their
monitors of that incident. However, viewing it from my flagging station,
I knew that's what happened before the tower confirmed it.

forty

Jun 6, 2006, 8:49:05 AM6/6/06

Bollocks. Cheever had the line and did not deviate from it. Marco made
the move. Who is primarily responsible for making sure a pass is
executed safely? The one executing that pass.

> all in all it was a very exciting race in my opinion, but that incident
> hurt the race overall.

That one incident? It was one of many, and it didn't do much more harm
to the race than the bash fests that preceded it.

forty

Jun 6, 2006, 9:06:23 AM6/6/06
TheStang00 wrote:
> marco did not come down on cheever, he was making a pass and really he
> was going straight down the edge of the track. cheever is not
> responsible for maintaining his own line if there is a car in it! thats
> like saying that on an oval course if someone is passing you on the
> outside then if you come off the corner like normal right next to the
> wall and wreck you and the other driver then it is the other drivers
> fault.

I disagree. I saw the event unfolding, and Marco WAS NOT in Cheever's
line. He turned into it as surely as I am typing this right now. I was
the flagger at the heel of the boot and saw exactly what happened and
threw a waving yellow immediately. I radioed in what I saw and the tower
confirmed that was what they saw on their monitors.

> i will admit though im somewhat biased, i was sitting on the finish
> line at indy and marcos performance there won me over on the spot.

Bias is heavily frowned upon by us flaggers. We do not make our calls
based on who we like and don't like. When I called it in, it was car 26
blue and car 51 black, not Marco and Eddie. I called it as I saw it
without any fanboy interference in my judgment, just as all of my
colleagues did that weekend. Many called in bad behavior on their
favorite drivers during the Grand-Am 6-Hour.

Emma

Jun 6, 2006, 9:35:13 AM6/6/06
forty <cfor...@SPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>Bollocks. Cheever had the line and did not deviate from it. Marco made
>the move. Who is primarily responsible for making sure a pass is
>executed safely? The one executing that pass.

Yes, I always thought the theory was that the slower car should stick to
the racing line so the faster car knew where it was. To me that is what
it looked like Eddie did as I assume the best place to overtake would
have been the inside of the corner they were heading towards, not round
the outside as Marco tried.

>That one incident? It was one of many, and it didn't do much more harm
>to the race than the bash fests that preceded it.

It did seem to turn out to be a race where the last one still going
would be the winner!

Emma

Jun 6, 2006, 9:35:27 AM6/6/06
forty <cfor...@SPAMgmail.com> wrote:

> I called it as I saw it without any fanboy interference in my
>judgment, just as all of my colleagues did that weekend. Many called in
>bad behavior on their favorite drivers during the Grand-Am 6-Hour.

Hope someone reported that Johansson bloke for the banging competition
he got into on one of the re-starts. ;-)

forty

Jun 6, 2006, 9:48:44 AM6/6/06
Emma wrote:
> forty <cfor...@SPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>> Bollocks. Cheever had the line and did not deviate from it. Marco made
>> the move. Who is primarily responsible for making sure a pass is
>> executed safely? The one executing that pass.
>
> Yes, I always thought the theory was that the slower car should stick to
> the racing line so the faster car knew where it was. To me that is what
> it looked like Eddie did as I assume the best place to overtake would
> have been the inside of the corner they were heading towards, not round
> the outside as Marco tried.

Exactly. That turn isn't a very good place to pass, anyway. However, it
is a good place to set up for a pass either on turn 10 or 11. Marco
could have ran turn 9 and then gone side-by-side with Cheever through 10
for a stellar pass on turn 11 onto the front straight. However, racing
is full of 'could have's' :)

>> That one incident? It was one of many, and it didn't do much more harm
>> to the race than the bash fests that preceded it.
>
> It did seem to turn out to be a race where the last one still going
> would be the winner!

Yep. My station captain and I kept shaking our heads. "We are green...
EMERGENCY! EMERGENCY! Waving yellow! ... Full course yellow" Over and
over again. When the wind is blowing and the flags are wet, those two
yellow flags feel like they weigh 400 lbs. It was better than the Indy
Pro race earlier, but still a survival race.

forty

Jun 6, 2006, 9:50:37 AM6/6/06
Emma wrote:
> forty <cfor...@SPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I called it as I saw it without any fanboy interference in my
>> judgment, just as all of my colleagues did that weekend. Many called
>> in bad behavior on their favorite drivers during the Grand-Am 6-Hour.
>
> Hope someone reported that Johansson bloke for the banging competition
> he got into on one of the re-starts. ;-)

I think I heard that called over the radio... ;-)

Your Pal... Sal

Jun 6, 2006, 10:11:34 AM6/6/06
> The tower said they'd give me copies of the footage they had from their
> monitors of that incident. However, viewing it from my flagging station, I
> knew that's what happened before the tower confirmed it.
> Forty

How does one go about getting
a job as a flagger?

Are there tests involved? Do
you just flag at the Glenn? Is
it a permanent slot?

Inquiring minds want to know...

s/s

Emma

Jun 6, 2006, 10:23:06 AM6/6/06
forty <cfor...@SPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>Emma wrote:
>> forty <cfor...@SPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I called it as I saw it without any fanboy interference in my
>>>judgment, just as all of my colleagues did that weekend. Many called
>>>in bad behavior on their favorite drivers during the Grand-Am 6-Hour.
>> Hope someone reported that Johansson bloke for the banging
>>competition he got into on one of the re-starts. ;-)
>>
>I think I heard that called over the radio... ;-)

Well he wasn't used to being at the front. ;-)

forty

Jun 6, 2006, 10:31:32 AM6/6/06
Your Pal... Sal wrote:

> How does one go about getting
> a job as a flagger?
>
> Are there tests involved? Do
> you just flag at the Glenn? Is
> it a permanent slot?
>
> Inquiring minds want to know...
>
> s/s

Join the SCCA. :)

Watkins Glen is a little different. There is a separate organization for
workers at WGI that does flagging only at WGI. SCCA flaggers do come to
the Glen a little while, but they often only come for SCCA sanctioned
races. Most of the flaggers at WGI also belong to SCCA, but they have to
do things a little differently when they are at the Glen. I won't get
into the complex reasons for this, but lets just say there's some turf
wars between Fire Rescue and Flaggers and there happens to be a Fire guy
with a lot of authority at WGI.

Outside of Watkins Glen, joining the SCCA and getting in touch with your
region's F&C Chief will get you going. Most of what you learn is OJT,
but they will often hold a flag class at the beginning of the season as
a refresher for the veterans and prep for the rookies. Sometimes you can
get to an event early and they may have a brief class on Thurday
evening. Usually it is best to flag at a few non-Pro events first to get
your feet wet.

It's all volunteer work. The only price you have to pay is your
membership dues to SCCA. And, after you have a few years experience
working enough Pro events, you can go flag at an F1 race. :)

Your Pal... Sal

Jun 6, 2006, 10:46:58 AM6/6/06
> Join the SCCA. :)

Do you compete in any SCCA sanctioned
events...

I was thinking of racing my TR6 before I
had my stroke... now I can't even drive it!

s/s

forty

Jun 6, 2006, 10:52:34 AM6/6/06
I don't have a competition license. I would like to do a driver's school
and get my competition license. Then I would like to find a nice 240Z or
280Z and modify it according to Improved Touring regs and race at some
of the Regionals. The two big road blocks are money and time... :)

This old Bob

Jun 6, 2006, 12:07:34 PM6/6/06
Even www.Speedtv.com is confused. Check out the link on the front page to
the video of "Champ Car at Watkins Glen".

-Bob

Steve Thompson

Jun 6, 2006, 4:14:24 PM6/6/06
On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, forty wrote:

> Join the SCCA. :)
> [...]

> It's all volunteer work. The only price you have to pay is your
> membership dues to SCCA. And, after you have a few years experience
> working enough Pro events, you can go flag at an F1 race. :)

I've done some flagging work at several different kinds of events. I'd
recommend it to anyone as a very interesting experience. It's a lot harder
than it looks!

Steve

Hal S.

Jun 6, 2006, 5:15:29 PM6/6/06

"forty" <cfor...@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
\

---------------------------------

You certainly don't need to be told again, but you made a good call.

Hal S.

Prefect_Being

Jun 6, 2006, 5:33:01 PM6/6/06
wrote:

>> You don't see that kind of "candor" in F1... even regard-
>> ing Schumacher's debacle last week.
>

>IRL is still racing while F1 is marketing at this point

If it were marketing the safety car would come in two laps from the
end too.

joe

a425couple

Jun 8, 2006, 11:28:57 AM6/8/06
"forty" <cfor...@SPAMgmail.com> wrote

> Your Pal... Sal wrote:
> > How does one go about getting
> > a job as a flagger?
>
> Join the SCCA. :) (some snip)
> --joining the SCCA and getting in touch with your

> region's F&C Chief will get you going. Most of what you learn is OJT,
> but they will often hold a flag class at the beginning of the season as
> a refresher for the veterans and prep for the rookies. Sometimes you can
> get to an event early and they may have a brief class on Thurday
> evening. Usually it is best to flag at a few non-Pro events first to get
> your feet wet.
> It's all volunteer work. The only price you have to pay is your
> membership dues to SCCA. And, after you have a few years experience
> working enough Pro events, you can go flag at an F1 race. :)

I totally agree with 'forty', but wish to add some.
There are many more organizations, and many more volunteer jobs.
All can give a volunteer plenty of great things to do and
many great people to be involved with.

SCCA is in the US the most 'universal', being nationwide and
overall the largest. But in a number of areas other organizations
may have more and/or larger events, and may suit an individual
better. A limited list would include NASA, POCB, ICSCC,
INEX, Vintage, Sovern, and any of the makes car clubs (Alfa,
Porsche, BMW, etc.)

Although Flagging/turn working/corner working is the largest
need of volunteers, there are many other rewarding jobs.
Pre-grid, Communications, Tech. Inspection, Timing and
Scoring, and Registration are a few of these.
Depending on individual ability and talents and interests
some of these may be better 'fits'.
For example a 15 year old who is into 'cars' might love
Tech. Inspection, then be able to roam and visit as wish
during the races. One into 'computers' or 'overall view'
or 'statistics' might love Timing and Scoring and find
himself after couple years very skilled and sought after.

All organizations really try (with various success!) to
welcome and reward and include volunteers. We
feed them lunches, feed them a BBQ on Sat., that
many drivers attend and talk to all at, and if they
are repeaters and come any distance we will cover
motels and gas money.
Great friendships are formed.

Emma

Jun 8, 2006, 11:36:36 AM6/8/06
a425couple <a425c...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I totally agree with 'forty', but wish to add some.
>There are many more organizations, and many more volunteer jobs.
>All can give a volunteer plenty of great things to do and
>many great people to be involved with.

Couldn't agree more!

I used to be an assistant to the Clark of the Course during Rallycross
meetings at Croft. Spent most of my time running around with bits of
paper between him and the timing guys but it meant I was in the thick of
things and it was great fun!

Mark Jones

Jun 11, 2006, 6:26:52 PM6/11/06
On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 12:21:33 -0400, forty <cfor...@SPAMgmail.com>

wrote:
>Your Pal... Sal wrote:
>> Is anybody watching...
>> What do you think of Michael Andretti bad mouthing
>> Eddie Chever Jr. for taking out Marco?
>>

>Michael has a few good points about Cheever being a poor driver, but was
>completely wrong about Cheever taking Marco out. Marco took Cheever out.

>> He said, on live TV, that Cheever did it on purpose
>> and shouldn't be allowed on the track!
>>

>Official call-in from flagging station 13 at the heel of the boot (which
>saw the beginning of the incident) was "Car 26 blue moved up on drivers'
>right of 51 black going into turn 9 and 26 turned in before he was past
>him." The tower confirmed that their monitors corroborated that account.

Uh, I've just finally gotten to see the race, and this incident in
particular, and from what I saw this is totally and completely wrong.
Marco never seemed to move to the left at all - he got a better run
off the right-hander, went to the outside of Cheever, and as the next
corner is a left, Cheever just drove across the track (stayed on the
racing line) and knocked Marco off. You've got to give racing room to
other cars, Marco did but Cheever did not.

- Jones

Hal S.

Jun 11, 2006, 9:40:56 PM6/11/06

"Mark Jones" <Ma...@Jones.co.nz> wrote in message

-------------------------------

I guess we watched a different race. Marco was clearly trying to overtake
and Cheevers maintained his line. He doesn't have to pull off the track
just because Snot Jr. is coming up on his right rear.

Hal S.

TheStang00

Jun 11, 2006, 11:14:45 PM6/11/06

thats totally wrong. cheever clearly veered to the right, i dont see how
you can possibly see it any other way, even all the news writers agree.
now he was following the racing line with went right, but he has to
give marco racing room, marco was already there. even cheever himself
never actually said it was marcos fault, he just said it wasnt
intentional. unless i missed something.

Mark Jones

Jun 12, 2006, 5:13:39 PM6/12/06
On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 20:40:56 -0500, "Hal S." <h.sa...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>"Mark Jones" <Ma...@Jones.co.nz> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 12:21:33 -0400, forty <cfor...@SPAMgmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>>

>>>Michael has a few good points about Cheever being a poor driver, but was
>>>completely wrong about Cheever taking Marco out. Marco took Cheever out.

>>>Official call-in from flagging station 13 at the heel of the boot (which
>>>saw the beginning of the incident) was "Car 26 blue moved up on drivers'
>>>right of 51 black going into turn 9 and 26 turned in before he was past
>>>him." The tower confirmed that their monitors corroborated that account.
>>
>> Uh, I've just finally gotten to see the race, and this incident in
>> particular, and from what I saw this is totally and completely wrong.
>> Marco never seemed to move to the left at all - he got a better run
>> off the right-hander, went to the outside of Cheever, and as the next
>> corner is a left, Cheever just drove across the track (stayed on the
>> racing line) and knocked Marco off. You've got to give racing room to
>> other cars, Marco did but Cheever did not.
>>

>I guess we watched a different race. Marco was clearly trying to overtake
>and Cheevers maintained his line. He doesn't have to pull off the track
>just because Snot Jr. is coming up on his right rear.

Cheever did not maintain his line, he maintained the racing line. The
problem with that is that Marco was legitamately alongside him.
You've got to give people racing room, but Cheever just swept across
the track as if Marco wasn't even there. It didn't look to me as if
Marco turned left at all -he just got crowded to the right until there
was no more room and got knocked into the fence.

- Jones

Hal S.

Jun 12, 2006, 8:44:52 PM6/12/06

"Mark Jones" <Ma...@Jones.co.nz> wrote in message

-----------------------------------

Garbage. It's funny how you seem to think you know better than the officials
who viewed the incident. From your description I'm not sure that you even
saw the incident.

forty

Jun 12, 2006, 9:17:17 PM6/12/06

I finally watched the TV footage. I had not seen that footage. However,
the tower did see it, along with quite a bit of footage NOT seen on TV.
The folks in the tower were singing a totally different tune than Marco
and Michael. I simply reported what I saw, and the tower concurred. I
readily admit that I only had one view of the incident, but I know what
I saw and those who had more views agreed with me.

Chas Hurst

Jun 12, 2006, 10:06:45 PM6/12/06

>>>I guess we watched a different race. Marco was clearly trying to
>>>overtake
>>>and Cheevers maintained his line. He doesn't have to pull off the track
>>>just because Snot Jr. is coming up on his right rear.
>>
>> Cheever did not maintain his line, he maintained the racing line. The
>> problem with that is that Marco was legitamately alongside him.
>> You've got to give people racing room, but Cheever just swept across
>> the track as if Marco wasn't even there. It didn't look to me as if
>> Marco turned left at all -he just got crowded to the right until there
>> was no more room and got knocked into the fence.
>>
>> - Jones
>

> -----------------------------------
>
> Garbage. It's funny how you seem to think you know better than the
> officials who viewed the incident. From your description I'm not sure
> that you even saw the incident.

Jones saw it as I did. The officials had no better view than those of us
what watched on TV. Plus we had the benefit of instant replay and slomo
replay, which the officials did not.

forty

Jun 12, 2006, 10:26:49 PM6/12/06
Chas Hurst wrote:

> Jones saw it as I did. The officials had no better view than those of us
> what watched on TV. Plus we had the benefit of instant replay and slomo
> replay, which the officials did not.

How many people in the tower did you personally talk to? The person I
talked to mentioned that they had quite a bit of footage not shown on
the TV feed that showed slightly different developments not obvious on
that which was shown. IOW, they did have a better view than those who
watched on TV. And they did have instant replay and slow-mo. I did not
have that benefit on station, but my story was confirmed by those that
did. And I really don't think there's anything more I need to say
regarding this.

Chas Hurst

Jun 12, 2006, 10:39:46 PM6/12/06

> Chas Hurst wrote:
>

>> Jones saw it as I did. The officials had no better view than those of us
>> what watched on TV. Plus we had the benefit of instant replay and slomo
>> replay, which the officials did not.
>
> How many people in the tower did you personally talk to? The person I
> talked to mentioned that they had quite a bit of footage not shown on the
> TV feed that showed slightly different developments not obvious on that
> which was shown. IOW, they did have a better view than those who watched
> on TV. And they did have instant replay and slow-mo. I did not have that
> benefit on station, but my story was confirmed by those that did. And I
> really don't think there's anything more I need to say regarding this.
>
> --
> Forty
Nor do I.

Hal S.

Jun 12, 2006, 11:12:31 PM6/12/06

>--------------------------------------

And where did you get that bogus information? The officials in the tower
have slo-mo, replay and other video at their disposal. They can view the
incident from any angle that chose.

Chas Hurst

Jun 12, 2006, 11:36:52 PM6/12/06

> "Chas Hurst" <hur...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>

>> Jones saw it as I did. The officials had no better view than those of us

>> what watched on TV. Plus we had the benefit of instant replay and slomo
>> replay, which the officials did not.
>>--------------------------------------
>
> And where did you get that bogus information? The officials in the tower
> have slo-mo, replay and other video at their disposal. They can view the
> incident from any angle that chose.

Well I'm wrong about the replay, slomo.The officials saw the same thing I
did. That doesn't change my opinion of what happened. Cheever was clearly at
fault.

Mark Jones

Jun 13, 2006, 12:33:42 AM6/13/06
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 19:44:52 -0500, "Hal S." <h.sa...@comcast.net>
>Garbage. It's funny how you seem to think you know better than the officials
>who viewed the incident. From your description I'm not sure that you even
>saw the incident.

Garbage? It's garbage that Cheever came straight across from the left
to the right side of the track? It's garbage that Marco never crowded
Cheever at all, in fact probably never turned his wheel to the left
until he was hit? How is Cheever maintaining his line? He sweeps
across the track as if Marco wasn't there - explain how that is
'maintaining his line'?

- Jones

Mark Jones

Jun 13, 2006, 12:36:32 AM6/13/06
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 21:17:17 -0400, forty <cfor...@SPAMgmail.com>
wrote:
>I finally watched the TV footage. I had not seen that footage. However,
>the tower did see it, along with quite a bit of footage NOT seen on TV.
>The folks in the tower were singing a totally different tune than Marco
>and Michael. I simply reported what I saw, and the tower concurred. I
>readily admit that I only had one view of the incident, but I know what
>I saw and those who had more views agreed with me.

If the tower saw that angle looking up the straight from behind the
two cars, then I don't know, they must be blind. Marco likely never
even turned to the left at all, he gets alongside and just gets
crowded out by Cheever.

- Jones

TheStang00

Jun 13, 2006, 1:10:04 AM6/13/06