Bye bye

XYXPDQ

Dec 16, 2023, 11:58:11 AM12/16/23
Google Groups ending support for Usenet
If you work with Usenet groups in Google Groups, support for these groups is ending soon.

What’s changing?
Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google Groups.

Dan the Man

Dec 16, 2023, 1:22:08 PM12/16/23
I've seen that notice on other groups as well. I'll have to re-learn how to use Usenet the old fashioned way.

Dan

Geoff May

Dec 17, 2023, 4:17:43 AM12/17/23
I'm using news.eternal-september.org for Usenet posts. Go to
http://www.eternal-september.org/ for options and setup if you need it.

Cheers

Geoff

Dan the Man

Dec 17, 2023, 4:48:56 PM12/17/23
Thanks, I'll give them a try.

Dan

Dan_the_Man

Dec 17, 2023, 6:59:12 PM12/17/23
Here is a test post on Mozilla T-bird/eternal-september...

Dan

Mark

Dec 18, 2023, 4:12:34 AM12/18/23
Geoff May <Geoff...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16/12/2023 18:22, Dan the Man wrote:
>> On Saturday, December 16, 2023 at 11:58:11 AM UTC-5, XYXPDQ wrote:
>>> Google Groups ending support for Usenet
>>> If you work with Usenet groups in Google Groups, support for these groups is ending soon.
>>>
>>> What’s changing?
>>> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google Groups.
>> I've seen that notice on other groups as well. I'll have to re-learn how to use Usenet the old fashioned way.
>
> I'm using news.eternal-september.org for Usenet posts. Go to
> http://www.eternal-september.org/ for options and setup if you need it.

Yep - I've been using eternal-september for many years, ever since my
local provider discontinued usenet support. It's very reliable given
it's a free service.

D Munz

Dec 21, 2023, 3:25:21 PM12/21/23
On Monday, December 18, 2023 at 3:12:34 AM UTC-6, Mark wrote:

> Yep - I've been using eternal-september for many years, ever since my
> local provider discontinued usenet support. It's very reliable given
> it's a free service.

Another vote for eternal-september. They have been around forever. I use them on my iPhone with NewsTap.

This is probably a good change as I've been defaulting to Google Groups on my Mac just because it's easy. I should do better.

FWIW
DLM