Digital Edge F1 SIM wheel

Stefan Weckert

Nov 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/6/98
Has anyone tried this wheel?
Can I use the pedals on separate axes?
Thanks Stefan

Paul Jones

Nov 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/7/98
The non-compact version is better than the compact but I don't much care
for it - as Andrew Thatcher says it keeps recalibrating during races
(lousy steering column design). I tried the MS FF wheel today and was
rather unimpressed. It was CMR I tried with FF and the experience of the
wheel moving but you not is nothing like the physical experience of
being in a car. Plus the pedal unit is very light. However it's got
optical pots which in theory won't need any maintenance - yeah, right.
If you looking for an equivalently priced (actually very much cheaper)
but better wheel, I'd recommend the Thrustmaster F1 (it has a different
name in the states, but it's the same wheel). I wouldn't know what it's
called in Germany. It's a good wheel but the springs go a lot. Thrusty
will send you more when they break.
Paul

Andrew Thatcher wrote:

> Its rubbish (if it's the cheaper one your talking about) I got one
> about 8 weeks ago and the dam thing keeps on re-calibrating half way
> round a lap, the pedals are too short they move about an inch and feel
> more like buttons than pedals, IM getting rid of mine, I've just got
> a MS FF. wheel and it's miles better than the F1 sim, GET A MICROSOFT
> FORCE FEEDBACK WHEEL that's all I can say about it. Andy.

John K

Nov 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/7/98
Paul
I'm using a F1Sim compact wheel with Thrustmaster T2 pedals (rewired to give
dual-axis control). The "recalibrating during races" problem was something
which bothered me when I first got the F1Sim a few months ago. The solution
is so simple, it'll make you weep! What Digital Edge don't tell you is that
the trim control on top of the column needs to be screwed tight to hold the
adjustment. That's it, no more problems. Digital Edge really don't seem to
care whether they sell these or not and the pedals with the compact are all
but unuseable. However the wheel makes an outstanding upgrade to an old T2 -
superior construction and feel, proper paddles etc. Highly recommended at
the £59 that it costs in the UK.

Ian Dickson

Nov 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/7/98
Just to put my pint of view in..

It's crap..

I had mine about 6 months and continued to recalibrate.. I didn't realise
how useless it was until I tried a friends T2 wow ahta difference,, By the
way the reason why I only had it 6 months .. It broke.. (the tension went
in it,, I took it apart and the rubber sorround which creates the
tension(shit design) had perished.. I'm off to get a MS FF today..

Gary Silverman

Nov 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/7/98
I must say that I was unimpressed by the MS wheel when I first got it. First
off, Microsoft did a bad job with CPR, so that is not a good thing to judge
the wheel by. Second, force feedback is all in the programing in the
software. CPR and MTM2 did not do a good job with the feedback programing,
but the Viper (demo) sim did a great job. This is one of the first devices
ever that will actually improve over time. The better programing they do the
more realistic it will be.

Gary Silverman
gar...@aol.com
gary243 on AOL
gary243 on TEN
gary243 on the ZONE

Lindsay Adams

Nov 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/7/98
Hey Stefan,

I have the bigger (read more expensive!! - the one with the metal pedals and
wooden "plank" under the monitor) F1 Sim wheel and pedals.

There are a lot of guys here who seem to dislike it but I have to say that I
have never had any trouble with the mid game recalibration and I like the
feel of the wheel and the way it clips into the board under the monitor. The
wheel can move around if you get a bit excited and yank it a bit hard, but I
think its a clever way of mounting the wheel - I bought a Microsoft FFb
wheel last week - and had to cut a chunk out of the side of my desk to be
able to mount it - if you have a desk that doesn't ha a flat top you can'
clip the thing on......

The F1SIM pedals have very loing travel which is great for braking but not
so godd for the accelerator, but it not hard to put a stop behing the
accelerator and calibrate the pedal "short" in the game.

As far as I know you can't separate the brake and accel pedals without
rewiring...

As for the company and its support ...... crap is all I can say - they just
really don't have much of a clue about marketing and customer focus at
all...

hope that helps

-Lindsay

i...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
Hi.. I've got a problem with my f1 sim wheel with re-calibrating... I play
GP2 and the wheel won't calibrate properly in the setup joystick window and
then re-calibrates itself during the race too. I've had it for nearly a year
and this is the first time its had this problem.. And I saw the post about
the knob on the top.. I checked this and it is fixed on properly and so I
don't think its the problem. If anyone can help I'd be very grateful!!

In article <36440...@newsread1.dircon.co.uk>,

"John K" <j...@dircon.co.uk> wrote:
> Paul
> I'm using a F1Sim compact wheel with Thrustmaster T2 pedals (rewired to give
> dual-axis control). The "recalibrating during races" problem was something
> which bothered me when I first got the F1Sim a few months ago. The solution
> is so simple, it'll make you weep! What Digital Edge don't tell you is that
> the trim control on top of the column needs to be screwed tight to hold the
> adjustment. That's it, no more problems. Digital Edge really don't seem to
> care whether they sell these or not and the pedals with the compact are all
> but unuseable. However the wheel makes an outstanding upgrade to an old T2 -
> superior construction and feel, proper paddles etc. Highly recommended at
> the £59 that it costs in the UK.

> Paul Jones wrote in message <3643CAEF...@tpjones.demon.co.uk>...
> >The non-compact version is better than the compact but I don't much care
> >for it - as Andrew Thatcher says it keeps recalibrating during races
> >(lousy steering column design). I tried the MS FF wheel today and was
> >rather unimpressed. It was CMR I tried with FF and the experience of the
> >wheel moving but you not is nothing like the physical experience of
> >being in a car. Plus the pedal unit is very light. However it's got
> >optical pots which in theory won't need any maintenance - yeah, right.
> >If you looking for an equivalently priced (actually very much cheaper)
> >but better wheel, I'd recommend the Thrustmaster F1 (it has a different
> >name in the states, but it's the same wheel). I wouldn't know what it's
> >called in Germany. It's a good wheel but the springs go a lot. Thrusty
> >will send you more when they break.
> >Paul
> >

> >Andrew Thatcher wrote:
> >
> >> Its rubbish (if it's the cheaper one your talking about) I got one
> >> about 8 weeks ago and the dam thing keeps on re-calibrating half way
> >> round a lap, the pedals are too short they move about an inch and feel
> >> more like buttons than pedals, IM getting rid of mine, I've just got
> >> a MS FF. wheel and it's miles better than the F1 sim, GET A MICROSOFT
> >> FORCE FEEDBACK WHEEL that's all I can say about it. Andy.

David Griffith

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98
I had the same problem I spoke to digital edge and apparently it is a know
fault, it is cause by an internal component moving during play. I contacted
them and they fixed it FOC.

<i...@my-dejanews.com> wrote in message