Switch from swivel vent windows to fixed, MK1

Papa

May 14, 2005, 11:56:54 PM5/14/05
What is involved in switching from swiveling vent windows to fixed
(non-moving) windows, Rabbit Cabriolet? Pictures of the metal frame for the
fixed vent window version show a much shorter vertical rail , so I guess you
would have to add a rail inside the door for the roll-up window to ride on
when the window is lowered.

Comments please.

Thanks.

Nathan Lucas

May 15, 2005, 9:04:36 PM5/15/05
might be worth looking in local scrapyards for a pair of suitable doors with
the windows that you want in. then you would have all the its you would
need to swap over.

"Papa" <biki...@my.fun> wrote in message

Papa

May 15, 2005, 11:29:26 PM5/15/05
Thanks for the suggestion.

Tweedy

May 29, 2005, 4:54:25 PM5/29/05
Hi Papa,

I did that job on my 1979 Rabbit GTI years ago. I picked up 2 fixed vent
windows from the wrecker. It may be a different setup on a cabriolet but
for me they were the same fit (including the vertical rail) as the existing
swivel vent windows and went in without any significant problems, I
reversed the removal steps for the install steps. (I am neither a mechanic
or autobody technician).

Tweedy

Papa

May 29, 2005, 5:27:40 PM5/29/05
Thanks, Tweedy.

By the way, I'm still waiting for the pair of used fixed vent windows
assemblies that I ordered from an online source. I'll post back here after I
get them and let anyone interested know the outcome of the installation.

Regards,

Papa

"Tweedy" <taxo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Sylvester

Aug 4, 2023, 1:32:03 AM8/4/23
Did you ever get the conversion finished? How did it go?

--
For full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/vw/switch-from-swivel-vent-windows-to-fixed-mk1-24781-.htm