Anyone seen a Passat TDI yet?

1 view

HooHa

Apr 28, 2004, 9:55:21 PM4/28/04
In the U.S.?

breast...@hotmail.com

Apr 28, 2004, 10:32:01 PM4/28/04
In article <409060be$1...@corp.newsgroups.com>, "HooHa" <N...@Home.com>
wrote:

Absolutely, I have one in my garage right now! Blue Graphite with
Anthracite leather interior, GLS model with 5 speed Tiptronic. First
road trip I got 36 and 39 mpg and I expect the mileage to get better
when the car breaks in. BTW there is a discrency between what the
literature with the car says and the sticker on the car. Sticker says
134 hp, literature says 136 hp. I finally decided that the difference
was that in Europe, the 2.0 PD TDI is a 16 valve engine and because of
that can produce more HP. So far my dealer has received and sold 10
Passat TDIs - 8 sedans and 2 wagons. Hayden

dies...@earthlink.net

Apr 28, 2004, 10:43:54 PM4/28/04
In article
<breastlovedd-E01C...@news4.west.earthlink.net>,
breast...@hotmail.com wrote:

BTW please ignore the email address in the original post. My soninlaw
tends to like to play "funny" jokes with my email and news group
settings. He is kind of a computer geek.

Wakeley Purple

Apr 28, 2004, 11:27:58 PM4/28/04
HooHa wrote:

> In the U.S.?

We pick up ours tomorrow.

--
Wake

Mike Needham

Apr 29, 2004, 9:42:45 AM4/29/04
I work at a dealership in Denver, we got our first one in yesterday. It's a
Silverstone gray wagon. I imagine it will be sold today.

Mike
"Wakeley Purple" <wa...@remove.me.iglou.com> wrote in message

HooHa

Apr 29, 2004, 9:18:16 PM4/29/04

<dies...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> In article

> BTW please ignore the email address in the original post. My soninlaw
> tends to like to play "funny" jokes with my email and news group
> settings. He is kind of a computer geek.

Yes <cough>, Son-in law. Of course ;-)

Hey - you could ask him if the back seat in the Passat is big enough...

Mike

Apr 30, 2004, 12:05:29 AM4/30/04
Can I tell you how cool my wagon is? whisper quiet. torque that will uproot
trees. A car I dont have to put the seat max back to fit into. I have
recovered from the sticker shock. I'm trying to remember the benefits of
gasoline powered cars....

"HooHa" <N...@Home.com> wrote in message

Mike K

Apr 30, 2004, 1:30:16 PM4/30/04

"Mike" <nunya@nunyadotnet> wrote in message

> Can I tell you how cool my wagon is? whisper quiet. torque that will
uproot
> trees. A car I dont have to put the seat max back to fit into. I have
> recovered from the sticker shock. I'm trying to remember the benefits of
> gasoline powered cars....

How bad was the sticker shock?

David Magda

Apr 30, 2004, 8:21:30 PM4/30/04
"Mike" <nunya@nunyadotnet> writes:

> I'm trying to remember the benefits of gasoline powered cars....

Whiplash inducing acceleration. Besides that, not much IMHO.

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>, http://www.magda.ca/

Mr. A

May 4, 2004, 11:10:39 AM5/4/04
GAH!

I am jealous of all of you who can buy TDIs. Even more so that you can get a
Passat TDI.

I live in Maine, where they're not available.

Mike Smith

May 4, 2004, 1:21:23 PM5/4/04
Mr. A wrote:

> GAH!
>
> I am jealous of all of you who can buy TDIs. Even more so that you can get a
> Passat TDI.

If they made the 2.5 V6 TDI available, I'd want one. The 2.0 is too
small for the Passat, though, IMO. Either way, I can't get one either
in NY.

--
Mike Smith

dies...@earthlink.net

May 4, 2004, 4:07:34 PM5/4/04
In article <109fk8j...@news.supernews.com>,
Mike Smith <mike_UNDER...@acm.DOT.org> wrote:

Actually the 134 hp of the 2.0 with 247 lb/ft of torque is more than
adequate for the Passat. I have trouble keeping it at the speedlimit as
it accelerates so fast and quietly that you are going 80 before you know
it. It has been said before but here goes again: "Horsepower is used
by advertisers and dealers to sell cars but torque is what you feel when
you drive them." Horsepower is useless if you must turn 5-6000 rpms to
get it. With the TDI you get all the HP you have right at 1900 rpms and
this is where you spend virtually all the time driving. That is unless
you are one of those idiots that floors the pedal after every light
turns green and then has to suddenly stop when the next one turns red.
Hayden

Riverbank Volkswagen

May 4, 2004, 5:11:05 PM5/4/04
I work at a VW dealership in Connecticut, we sold our first few days ago. I
still have couple more and few are coming.

Michael Kheyfets
Internet Sales Manager
Riverbank Volkswagen
Phone: 203.984.1006
Phone: 1.888.992.9930
e-mail: mic...@riverbankvw.com
www.riverbankvw.com

The best compliment a customer can give, is a referral

Mike Smith

May 4, 2004, 6:16:23 PM5/4/04
dies...@earthlink.net wrote:

> In article <109fk8j...@news.supernews.com>,
> Mike Smith <mike_UNDER...@acm.DOT.org> wrote:
>

>>Mr. A wrote:
>>

>>>GAH!
>>>
>>>I am jealous of all of you who can buy TDIs. Even more so that you can get a
>>>Passat TDI.
>>
>>If they made the 2.5 V6 TDI available, I'd want one. The 2.0 is too
>>small for the Passat, though, IMO. Either way, I can't get one either
>>in NY.
>

> Actually the 134 hp of the 2.0 with 247 lb/ft of torque is more than
> adequate for the Passat.

To each his own. I consider the 2.8V6 (190 hp, 206 lb-ft) to be
adequate, but certainly not overpowered - so I doubt I'd feel any better
about the 2.0 TDI.

--
Mike Smith

Kevin Rhodes

May 4, 2004, 7:56:33 PM5/4/04
In article <c78bpd$trkg$1...@ID-73954.news.uni-berlin.de>, "Mr. A" <rocklobs...@techie.com> wrote:
>GAH!
>
>I am jealous of all of you who can buy TDIs. Even more so that you can get a
>Passat TDI.
>
>I live in Maine, where they're not available.

You can't BUY one in Maine, but there is absolutely nothing to keep you from
buying one in NH or elsewhere and registering it in Maine. My roommate is a
Westbrook City Clerk - this is what she does. Check with your town office.
Silly but true!

Kevin Rhodes
Westbrook, Maine
02 Golf TDI

Ernest

May 5, 2004, 3:10:08 AM5/5/04
> To each his own. I consider the 2.8V6 (190 hp, 206 lb-ft) to be
> adequate, but certainly not overpowered - so I doubt I'd feel any better
> about the 2.0 TDI.
>
> --
> Mike Smith

I friend of mine had a VR6 Jetta and wanted to replace it with a V5 Jetta.
I told him to test-drive a 1.9 litre Audi A4 (130bhp) and he was so
impressed he
immediately ordered the diesel Audi. Go and drive a diesel, cruise in 6th
gear and then feel the torque when you want to pass a car. You'll be
hooked!

Mike Smith

May 5, 2004, 12:08:07 PM5/5/04
Ernest wrote:

It's a moot point anyway. The Passat TDI is not sold in California, or
in a number of northeastern states, including New York, where I live.
Maybe come 2006 I'll be looking for another car...

--
Mike Smith