Running on only 3 cylinders

John Birrell

Jun 25, 2004, 5:55:42 PM6/25/04
Hi All,
Number 2 cylinder on my '73 beetle has no compression...remaining 3 have
100+. I really need to keep it running daily ( 20 miles each way ) for a
while until I can afford both the time and cash to repair or (better)
replace with bigger unit . I'm assuming the problem is valves as opposed to
rings ( no compression rather than low compression). Can anything be done to
continue using the engine without risking further damage? e.g remove
pushrods and spark plug... .My daily run is fairly undemanding and seems to
be able to cope with the reduced power.
I have read of other beetles doing severaI thousand miles on only 3
cylinders and yet others which do loads of damage due to overheating and
sticking valves. Is there any hope for my predicament or am I way off the
mark with my thinking??

Thanks for any help
John.

David Gravereaux

Jun 25, 2004, 6:23:43 PM6/25/04
"John Birrell" <john.b...@virgin.net> wrote:

>Hi All,
>Number 2 cylinder on my '73 beetle has no compression...remaining 3 have
>100+. I really need to keep it running daily ( 20 miles each way ) for a
>while until I can afford both the time and cash to repair or (better)
>replace with bigger unit . I'm assuming the problem is valves as opposed to
>rings ( no compression rather than low compression). Can anything be done to
>continue using the engine without risking further damage?

I ran on three for about four weeks and ended up hammering a main bearing.
After the needed topend rebuild, it couldn't maintain any oil pressure
when warm and had a tendency to overheat on the highway because of the
damage. I inferred that due to the mis-balance the case was damaged.
That engine now resides in a junk heap (after the good stuff got stripped
off).

> e.g remove
>pushrods and spark plug... .My daily run is fairly undemanding and seems to
>be able to cope with the reduced power.

IMO, park the car and either rent or take the bus.

--
David Gravereaux <davy...@pobox.com>
[species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector]

Rebecca Beste

Jun 25, 2004, 6:47:09 PM6/25/04
I once ran on two cylinders (and bald tires) for a month. I just had a mile
or two drive to school and back. I junked the car when the passenger seat
fell through the pan so I never did find out how bad I wrecked the engine.

Rebecca

"John Birrell" <john.b...@virgin.net> wrote in message

Jim Adney

Jun 26, 2004, 2:34:13 PM6/26/04
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 22:55:42 +0100 "John Birrell"
<john.b...@virgin.net> wrote:

>Number 2 cylinder on my '73 beetle has no compression...remaining 3 have
>100+. I really need to keep it running daily ( 20 miles each way ) for a
>while until I can afford both the time and cash to repair or (better)
>replace with bigger unit . I'm assuming the problem is valves as opposed to
>rings ( no compression rather than low compression). Can anything be done to
>continue using the engine without risking further damage? e.g remove
>pushrods and spark plug... .

I wouldn't do it. Here's why.

The thermostat lives under that side. If #2 isn't working, then the
thermostat won't get hot, meaning that the vanes will stay closed, so
the left side will overheat.

If your thermostat has been removed, then you might get away with
removing the pushrods temporarily.

I would start, however, by checking to make sure that there isn't
something here that could be easily fixed. Check the valve adjustment.
check the lower head studs for torque.

Consider getting a second opinion from someone with more experience.

-
Jim Adney jad...@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711 USA

John Birrell

Jun 26, 2004, 5:07:05 PM6/26/04
Many thanks Jim and David for your adevice. I have already checked the valve
clearances and all seems fine ...however, I've decided to pass on my idea
for continued
use and follow your combined suggestions of alternative transport for me,
and a second
opinion for the beetle.
Hoping for an 'affordable' outcome..

John

"Jim Adney" <jad...@vwtype3.org> wrote in message

Sleepy Joe

Jun 29, 2004, 10:27:19 AM6/29/04
"John Birrell" <john.b...@virgin.net> wrote in message news:<Z32Dc.63$8W2...@newsfe2-gui.server.ntli.net>...
> Hi All,
> Number 2 cylinder on my '73 beetle has no compression...remaining 3 have
> 100+. I really need to keep it running daily ( 20 miles each way ) for a
> while until I can afford both the time and cash to repair or (better)
> replace with bigger unit .

Don't get a GEX engine.

This will cause the engine not to be balanced.
Maybe if you disable another cyinder, I do not know which one, the
engine would be balanced. I do not recommend this either.
But it could go anytime.
Can't you order another longblock from aircooled.net and put it on
the credit card?

Not Me

Jun 29, 2004, 7:08:15 PM6/29/04

"Sleepy Joe" <Loosenutbeh...@msn.com> wrote in message

I have to second staying away from GEX.

Gordon

Dec 5, 2023, 12:15:07 AM12/5/23
I have been driving my Beetle on 3 cylinders just a mile and I am hoping I haven't done any damage,

--
For full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/volkswagen/running-on-only-3-cylinders-29320-.htm