BugMe videos?

OldIron

Nov 9, 2009, 10:29:21 AM11/9/09
Hello there

I have the Bug Me series on how to repair your VW Beetle on VHS.
I've found all but one in .avi form on-line, and was curious if anyone
had that one in .avi form?

I basically just want to watch them off of my laptop, instead of being
stuck to my VHS and television.

Thanks

OldIron

P.s. I'm looking for chapter 8, I have the other 9 chapters...

Jim Ed

Nov 9, 2009, 12:15:35 PM11/9/09

Sorry, I do not know where to get them free online but,

you can buy the ‘Bug Me’ videos on DVD here:

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/catsearch.php?categoryid=BVV&cmd=list&parent2=BV&perpage=

or here:

http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1804 .

or
You can buy one of these nifty gadgets here

http://www.amazon.com/Sima-CT-2-Digital-Enhancer-Duplicator/dp/B000AEFVVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257785235&sr=1-1

or here

http://cgi.ebay.com/Video-Enhancer-Stabiliser-NTSC-to-PAL-Converter-4-VCR_W0QQitemZ330375392209QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Players_Recorders?hash=item4cebe86bd1

and copy your copyrighted VHS videos to DVD.

Besides ‘enhancing’ the video you can also use it to make copies.
This is the device that I use, SIMA CT-2.

I use a DVD player and DVD recorder with the SIMA CT-2 device inline
in between the other two.

I think you could also use a digital video recorder instead of a DVD
recorder but, I do not know exactly how.

I have a lot of ‘Bug Me’ videos on VHS.

I used that SIMA CT-2 device to transfer my ’Bug Me’ VHS videos onto
DVD.

It works for transferring VHS to VHS, DVD to VHS, and for transferring
VHS to DVD.

They will play on my cheap DVD player I got at Wal-Mart and they play
on the Toshiba DVD recorder I got at bestbuy.com. but, they will not
play on my pc.
It is possible that I did not ‘finalize’ them correctly at the end of
the recording phase.
So, they may not play on your laptop but, they will play on a cheap
DVD player you can get at Wal-Mart.

I read somewhere it is OK to make your own copies if you are backing
up your old collection from VHS to DVD.
I do not sell them. They are for personal use. I had to pay those
people their money for the VHS videos so, I am not really stealing.

Do Not get this device:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sima-CT-1-Copy-This-Digital-Video-Enhancer-VHS_W0QQitemZ270479039929QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDVD_Players_Recorders?hash=item3ef9ce9db9

It only transfers from VHS to VHS.

Rusty Shackelford

Nov 10, 2009, 1:52:09 AM11/10/09

I'd like to help you out, but what you're basically asking us to do is
point you to a site that offers copyrighted material illegally for
download. Rick Higgins and his family produced those videos and owns
the copyright. I know pirated versions are out there to download, but I
just wouldn't feel right about posting links to those videos for anyone
on usenet to see.

I have some sympathy for your position *if* you do indeed own the series
on VHS. If so, you've basically purchased the rights to the
intellectual property for personal use, you'd just like to have access
to it in a more modern and convenient format. Seems like Rick ought to
think about making a deal where if you can prove that you own legitimate
volumes of his series on VHS he could offer an upgrade to DVD for a
nominal fee (enough to cover his costs plus a nominal fee). That would
seem to be fair for everyone. You might contact him with the suggestion
and see what he says.

I just can't see posting a link to sites where you can obtain illegally
pirated down loadable copies of Rick's work. I know that he and his
family have put a fair amount of work into the BugMe Video Series and
that booted versions on various download sites are hurting his sales.
So much so that I hear that he has not been very interested in producing
planned future volumes that have been listed on his website for years.
Personally, I'd like to see some of those planned volumes produced and
the only way that is going to happen is if Rick continues to see a
return on his work.

Sometimes VW owners are our own worst enemies. We can be so cheap that
we refuse to pay a reasonable price for a good quality product and then
we wonder why vendors offer to sell us so much junk.

Rusty Shackelford

Nov 10, 2009, 2:04:19 AM11/10/09
BTW, here are the at one time planned but never produced five addition
volumes of the BugMe Video Series:

Volume 11 - Suspension (rebuild and lowering)

Volume 12 - Convertible top

Volume 13 - Interior (headliner, ragtop, seat upholstery, carpet)

Volume 14 - Glass & Trim (replace glass, window regulator, door handles,
vent locks & frame)

Volume 15 - Transmission rebuild

Personally I'd really like to buy Volumes 11 & 15 and would probably buy
Volumes 13 & 14 as well.

Joey Tribiani

Nov 10, 2009, 11:57:14 AM11/10/09

"Rusty Shackelford" <ru...@arlen.com> wrote in message

> Sometimes VW owners are our own worst enemies. We can be so cheap that we
> refuse to pay a reasonable price for a good quality product and then we
> wonder why vendors offer to sell us so much junk.

you can say that again... but "we" doesn't include all...

Rusty Shackelford

Nov 10, 2009, 4:13:13 PM11/10/09

Yes, I know there are some (even many) VW owners that are willing to pay
for quality product. I'd include you and several on this forum in that
category. Unfortunately there are just too many who either don't know
quality work or product when they see it, or they are just too cheap to
pay for it.

Joey Tribiani

Nov 10, 2009, 8:28:47 PM11/10/09

. Unfortunately there are just too many who either don't know
> quality work or product when they see it, or they are just too cheap to
> pay for it.

unfortunately

OldIron

Nov 10, 2009, 11:06:05 PM11/10/09
Gents,

I totally agree on taking without buying. He/they put a TON of work
and a wealth of info into each video!!!

I'll ask him about the DVD if I have VHS question.

I'm looking forward, if he does them, to getting the rest of them!

OldIron

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 20:28:47 -0500, "Joey Tribiani" <Jo...@yahoo.com>

dgrim...@charter.net

Nov 11, 2009, 11:44:26 AM11/11/09
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 07:04:19 GMT, Rusty Shackelford <ru...@arlen.com>
wrote:

Why were they not produced? I'm building a 60 Ghia coupe
and can use all the help I can get.
There seems to be no info on replacing 1/4 window rubber,
frame or glass any place on line
Dave
Daved&Confused

Rusty Shackelford

Nov 11, 2009, 11:48:56 PM11/11/09

Heard second hand that sales of the first 10 tailed off after they
showed up on various internet video distribution sites and the dreaded
bittorrent. Kinda killed the desire to produce the final 5 volumes. If
true, damn shame that a great resource for the VW community will have
been lost because some people either just don't see downloading pirated
material as stealing (it is) or they're just too damn cheap. I haven't
heard that directly from Rick but heard it from someone that
communicates with him.

I for one would love to see Rick go through a transmission rebuild as a
video. That's one area that is sort of lacking in instructional
material. Several VW Engine rebuilding videos out there to chose from
(I have at least 3 and can say pretty confidently that Rick's is the
best) but not nearly as many amateurs doing transmission rebuilds. Some
specialty tools and skills required and most guys are just intimidated
at the prospect of tearing into a tranny. Never done it myself but I
figure if I had a BugMe video on it I'd have a fighting chance or at
least be able to access whether or not it's something that I would want
to tackle.

kafe...@aol.com

Nov 17, 2009, 2:54:25 PM11/17/09
I have known Rick, his wife, sons, and daughter for quite a while, I
even stayed at their home in Fort Meyers, FL, one evening, had a
terrific home-cooked dinner (you tend to appreciate those things after
weeks of restaurant food) and even have a cameo in one of his videos
(I think it was either the pan replacement or the convertible support
rail replacement).
Rick, and his entire family, have poured their heart and soul and
savings into make the best damned video or DVD they possibly could for
ACVW enthusiasts.
They are some wonderful human beings, always willing to lend a hand to
the needy, and it hurts me personally that someone would intentionally
rip off such a fine family, and literally take food off their table.
Whoever you are, SHAME ON YOU. Rick Higgins and family are part of the
cure, and you are part of the damned problem.
There's more I would like to say to the RIPOFFS that have done this,
but this post would be deleted in nanoseconds if I told you how a
REALLY feel.

Dave Cormack

Dangermouse

Nov 17, 2009, 4:24:09 PM11/17/09
Really, and I mean REALLY, dissappointing to hear that the remaining
volumes might not now be produced. I've been hanging out for them as
each and every one of the others were so excellent and helpful. You
can read manuals all day and all night but nothing compares to
watching the procedure being performed right in front of your eyes (in
my case, often over and over again...). I don't believe I would have
had the courage to attempt to maintain my VW without the help of Rick
& Co. and the BugMe series (which I bought and paid for BTW...).

I'd happily pre-order the remaining volumes right now.

Rusty Shackelford

Nov 19, 2009, 12:47:46 AM11/19/09
kafe...@aol.com wrote:

> Whoever you are, SHAME ON YOU. Rick Higgins and family are part of the
> cure, and you are part of the damned problem.
> There's more I would like to say to the RIPOFFS that have done this,
> but this post would be deleted in nanoseconds if I told you how a
> REALLY feel.
>
> Dave Cormack

Dave,

I don't think the above comment was directed at me, but just to be
clear I own copies legally purchased directly from the bugmevideo.com
website (all 10 volumes except the one on Type IVs - volume 8 I think).
Bought them all at one time to get the best discount :-) . I am
arguing your exact position but don't personally have the pleasure of
knowing Rick and his family. His videos are a great product and a
tremendous resource for the VW community. It pisses me off no end when
I see someone either here or on TheSamba.com asking where they can
download these videos.

For what it's worth it seems to be a generational thing. A couple of
years ago I argued with some guy on TheSamba that asked to be pointed
towards a website where he could download one of BugMe Video volumes. I
just could not get across to the guy that this was stealing and that it
was wrong. His argument was that "well, I'm not really taking anything
from Rick" and "well, Rick has probably made so much money already that
these videos should be free by now anyway". Tried to explain to him
that the presence of pirated copies on the web definitely cuts into
Rick's sales and btw, who the hell was he to decide how much money Rick
should or shouldn't make off of his creation. It all fell on deaf ears.
This guy turned out to be about 17. I guess if you've been
downloading pirated music since you were 8 years old you just refuse to
see it as wrong. What you wanna bet that if *he* put work and effort
into something that *he* created to sell and it was put out on the web
for anyone to take for free that he'd have a quick change of attitude?

Oh btw, this is Usenet and a unmoderated forum. Unlike a web forum,
you can say anything you want and no one can take it down :-) . So,
feel free to let us know what you really think.

Rusty Shackelford

Nov 19, 2009, 12:52:41 AM11/19/09

Well, keep in mind that what I heard was 2nd hand. So, it might not be
true. But those remaining videos have been posted on the bugmevideo
website for years now without any updates. I'd love to hear that Rick
is in fact working on releasing the rest since I'd probably buy every
last one of them (including the one on convertible tops even though I
don't own a convertible). Like you I'd be willing to pre-order.

OldIron

Nov 20, 2009, 10:10:26 AM11/20/09
Gents (and possibly ladies),

Well, as I have a legitimate set of the tapes, I was only looking to
change the format. I'll be grabbing the video software referred to
earlier and doing this myself, when time permits.
As to Dangermouse, I'm with you that I would gladly pre-pay for them!
Rick needs to put up a 'credit card' or check commit page and see what
the interest really is!
I know I'd be there!!!

OldIron

OldIron

Nov 20, 2009, 10:33:09 AM11/20/09
Oh, and I forgot to add, the only music I don't worry about getting
without paying for is when the artist is dead or if I already have the
same in another format (78rpm, wire-recording, reel-to-reel, 33
1/3rpm, tape or CD).
OldIron

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 09:10:26 -0600, OldIron <Old...@OldIron.com>

Karls

Nov 21, 2009, 9:18:12 AM11/21/09
Try sending them an email, I'm pretty sure you can get a good deal on
the DVD format copies.

Karls
(yes, it's been a long time)

On Nov 20, 11:10 am, OldIron <OldI...@OldIron.com> wrote:
> Gents (and possibly ladies),
>
> Well, as I have a legitimate set of the tapes, I was only looking to
> change the format.  I'll be grabbing the video software referred to
> earlier and doing this myself, when time permits.
> As to Dangermouse, I'm with you that I would gladly pre-pay for them!
> Rick needs to put up a 'credit card' or check commit page and see what
> the interest really is!
> I know I'd be there!!!

> OldIron
>
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:24:09 -0800 (PST), Dangermouse

Jan Andersson

Nov 21, 2009, 11:17:12 AM11/21/09

Hey Karls, where have you been?

:)

Jan

Rusty Shackelford

Nov 21, 2009, 4:40:04 PM11/21/09
Dave,

Since you know Rick why don't you ask him if he plans to release any new
volumes anytime soon? If he's taking votes on which volumes to do first
I say Volume 15 (Transmission Rebuild) and Volume 11 (Suspension) in
that order.

kafe...@aol.com

Nov 22, 2009, 9:38:25 PM11/22/09

I haven't talked with Rick in over 5 years, he is one of those poeple
that I unfortunately kinda lost contact with when I departed the VW
scene.
I just know how much forethough, work, editing, and etc he and his
family went through (He was the mechanic, one son was the camera guy,
another son was the take copier/internet guy, and his daughter and
wife ran the Office/Shipping & Receiving/questions and answers about
shipping, which volume was which, etc. As I said, it was a total
family affair, and a nicer family, you'll never ever meet.
It's kinda like the online battle I had with some German folks over
them steaing the design of a wheel, of a great friend of mine, and
making that wheel without so much as a by-your-leave to the designer.
It irritates the HELL out of me, when someone who does nothing,
profits off of someone who has invested a ton of work and time into
something.
I know Rick used to be bugme...@aol.com, but again, my info is
pretty old, 5 years at least.
Just because I am 99% out of the VW scene, doesn't mean I don't have
friends into it, still. And when their sole livelihood is jeporadized
by someone, I tend to get a little testy.

Rusty Shackelford

Nov 22, 2009, 10:03:07 PM11/22/09
I didn't realize that you had departed the VW scene, though I did notice
that I hadn't seen you around for a while. That's a shame, you were an
asset to the community and hobby. In any case, I know, that one day,
you'll be back. :-). I left VWs for about 15 years at one time but I
always had a soft spot in my heart for the little cars and would take
special notice whenever I saw one on the road. One day I saw one on the
side of the road for sale and ended up dragging it back home.

kafe...@aol.com

Nov 24, 2009, 11:06:07 PM11/24/09

Well, I will admit, once these little airsuckers are in your blood,
they never really go away...
I haven't worked for the magazines, hence no real immersion into VWs,
in close to 5 years. I moved out of VW Central (SoCal) and to a quiter
lifestyle in the redwoods of Northern CA. I still have the Polar
Silver Oval with the real Rader wheels, IDA's, EMPI steering wheel
signed by Joe Vittone and Richard Guarino, Berg Signature shifter,
blah blah blah, but that's about it. I sometimes still make an
appearance at the Sacramento Bugorama's, and if you still read HotVWs,
sometime in the future you may see a Blue Squareback article, written
and photographed by a name from the past.... 8=)
Oh, and Rusty, my diatrible was **NOT** supposed to be against you...
if you took it that way, then I most humbly apologise.

Rusty Shackelford

Nov 25, 2009, 12:40:37 AM11/25/09

Oh no, didn't think your fire was aimed at me, but just wanted to make
sure. Good to hear you've still got the Oval.

You know, you can get so wrapped up in a particular scene that it just
becomes stale to you at some point. Walking a way from something can do
you a world of good sometimes. And, you may find that after really
backing off from the scene for some years that one day it will seem
fresh again and the old fire will come back. It did for me. I don't
think humans really do well doing the same thing over and over year
after year. We all need a change of scenery now an then. And, contrary
to what the poets says, sometimes you *can* go home again. :-)

Karls

Nov 25, 2009, 7:07:06 AM11/25/09
On Nov 21, 12:17 pm, Jan Andersson <bugf...@spamtrap.rocketmail.com>
wrote:

Hey Jan! I have been everywhere, moved about a year ago, and busy as
hell. How's your family? did you manage to bring your vw from finland?
What about Olli?

Ariel Camargo

Feb 24, 2021, 8:55:19 AM2/24/21
HERE YOU HAVE ALL THE CHAPTERS