Which VW engine part did contain real wood ?

Braukuche

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
>No joke! This is not a trick question!
>
>Prior to 1950, VW used real wood for a component in the engine.=20
>
>Name the part or try to guess.

I'd guess the fuel pump base.
--Dan E.

Kaferdave

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
Pushrods. They were real long, too, in the 25 and 36 horse engines, as they and
the lifters were one unit.>

Prior to 1950, VW used real wood for a component in the engine.

Name the part or try to guess.

Dave Hall

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
Push-rod; the wood moved back and forth inside to pump the oil up to
the rockers.
--
Dave.
---

Harry wrote in message <7a4qln$e...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

No joke! This is not a trick question!

Prior to 1950, VW used real wood for a component in the engine.

John Willis

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
On 13 Feb 1999 21:26:15 GMT, "Harry" <h...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>No joke! This is not a trick question!
>
>Prior to 1950, VW used real wood for a component in the engine.=20

>Name the part or try to guess.

Without looking at other responses, I would have to say the push rod
tubes. As I recall, it was to reduce oil volume, or some such thing.
I could be completely off base, but that is what I seem to recall.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John Willis
jdwi...@airmail.net

Harry

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
Thanks to all who responded. The correct answer is:  PUSHRODS .

The hollow pushrods had a core of beechwood ( Buchenholz ) for transporting oil to the valve guides through a combination of wick- and capillary action.

Harry.

Harry wrote:

No joke! This is not a trick question!

Prior to 1950,  VW used real wood for a component in the engine.

jan andersson

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99

Harry wrote:

> No joke! This is not a trick question! Prior to 1950, VW used real
> wood for a component in the engine. Name the part or try to guess.

The floorpans of early beetles were made of wood too.
And of course the convertible top bows.

But in the engine I can't remember any.

Jan

--
Ramva Charter (Rules):
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/garage/5901/ramvachr.txt

Harry

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99

Thanks to all who responded. The correct answer is:  PUSHRODS .

The hollow pushrods had a core of beechwood ( Buchenholz ) for transporting oil to the valve guides through a combination of wick- and capillary action.

Harry.

Dave Hall

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
I hesitate to suggest this, as I haven't access to any official
information on this, but I would be surprised if a hollow tube full
of oil would allow much to flow through the wood (wick-action),
though some might get past in the gap between the rod and tube wall
(capillarity).
I suggest (again) that the reciprocating movement of a 'floating'
piece of wood in the tube as the pushrod goes to and fro would be
the main cause of the oiling.

--
Dave.
---
da...@hallvw.clara.co.uk
Please use this address for mail.
VW Type 3 & 4 Club website: http://www.hallvw.clara.net

Harry wrote in message
<#fqiskDW#GA....@nih2naac.prod2.compuserve.com>...

Jim Adney

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
"Harry" <h...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>No joke! This is not a trick question!
>

>Prior to 1950, VW used real wood for a component in the engine.=20

>Name the part or try to guess.

The pushrods in the 36 HP engines were filled with wood. I assume this
was to dampen vibration, and thus strengthen them. If anyone needs
some of these, I have a few good ones available for sale.

Jim
-
Jim Adney jad...@vwtype3.org
Madison,Wisconsin USA

David Dumais

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99

Harry wrote:

 No joke! This is not a trick question! Prior to 1950,  VW used real wood for a component in the engine. Name the part or try to guess.
  There were pieces of wood inside the push rod tubes to help return the oil to the sump.  Dave '68 vert

crazy...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2018, 5:52:39 PM11/21/18
The rods

Kirk

May 2, 2020, 11:41:51 AM5/2/20
On Saturday, February 13, 1999 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-7, Braukuche wrote:
> >No joke! This is not a trick question!
> >
> >Prior to 1950, VW used real wood for a component in the engine.=20
> >
> >Name the part or try to guess.
>
> I'd guess the fuel pump base.
> --Dan E.

I was surprised on my early '60s headlight buckets that they used what appears to be cardboard as a platform and insulation between the terminals for the wires. That was hard to keep useful. Was not an item that could be easily replaced either.