Movie Star VW's ?

Randy Carlson

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

Do you know of any movies that have had a VW in them? I am trying to put
together a list for a future project and could certainly use your help.
So what movie? and what VW?

Here is the list that I have so far...

Herbie of course
Back to the Future= bus
Pretty in Pink= ghia
Footloose= bug
Sleeper= bug
Money Pit= bug (all lit up)
Uncle Buck= bug (clown car)
The Bellboy(Jerry Lewis)= bug
Fast Times at Ridgemont High= bus

If you know of any I missed, let me know, I will update the list every
couple of days!!

Thanks!!

Randy Carlson
65 Vert
67 Panel

RD Rick

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

In <329D54...@earthlink.net> Randy Carlson <bug...@earthlink.net>
writes:

Not quite in a movie, but once upon a time Paul Newman owned and often
drove a bug with a Porsche engine.
RD

jcran...@aol.com

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

At least Newman keep his German.
When I was younger ( a lot younger ) growing up in So. Cal., the late
Steve McQueen was rumored to have taken a ' vert ( year unknown ) and
somehow stuffed a 351 Ford into it. Don't know if it's true or not, but
that was the story floating around at the old Horespower Engineering shop
in the mid 60's.

Jon

' 69 Baja
' 71 Bus
' 64 Camper

Timothy Gillespie

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

In message <329D54...@earthlink.net>
Randy Carlson <bug...@earthlink.net> writes:

> Do you know of any movies that have had a VW in them? I am trying to put
> together a list for a future project and could certainly use your help.
> So what movie? and what VW?

What's Up Doc? (B. Streisand) = that poor, poor bus :-(
The Cars That Ate Paris = the evil spiked Beetle!

Bye,

Tim.

Ross Warren

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

In article <329D54...@earthlink.net>, Randy Carlson
<bug...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Do you know of any movies that have had a VW in them? I am trying to put
> together a list for a future project and could certainly use your help.
> So what movie? and what VW?
>

> Here is the list that I have so far...
>
> Herbie of course
> Back to the Future= bus
> Pretty in Pink= ghia
> Footloose= bug
> Sleeper= bug
> Money Pit= bug (all lit up)
> Uncle Buck= bug (clown car)
> The Bellboy(Jerry Lewis)= bug
> Fast Times at Ridgemont High= bus

I just saw part of a movie with Kevin Bacon in it
and he drive a bug.. It was something about NY in the title..

I will look on IMDB and get back to you...

Ross Warren
'74 Super

Diesel Driver

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

Funny you should write this. I just watched "Gremlins" this morning. The
male lead drives a standard beetle. A Volkswagen and Phoebe Cates in the
same movie, That's entertainment!

Ross Warren <ro...@psi.com> wrote in article
<rossw-29119...@usenet.interramp.com>...

Whippet

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96
> >Are we limiting this to air-cooled or including the whole VW line.

-Major League - love interest drives a Rabbit Convertible ('82-85
vintage)
-Can't Buy Me Love - love interest drives a Cabriolet ('87 vintage)
-European Vacation - cameo appearance of an A1 Golf (Rabbit) and A1 GTI
-Twilite Zone - the story about the boy with the major power - the
teacher woman drives a Rabbit Diesel
-that Jim Belushi/Charles Grodin movie - Charles Grodin's friend that has
too big a crush on him drives an orange Beetle Convertible

-Mark
-80 Rabbit Pickup
-82 Rabbit Convertible
--
The best way to a man's heart is through his ribcage - Atilla the Hun

Whippet

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

Whippet wrote:
> -Major League - love interest drives a Rabbit Convertible ('82-85
> vintage)
> -Can't Buy Me Love - love interest drives a Cabriolet ('87 vintage)
> -European Vacation - cameo appearance of an A1 Golf (Rabbit) and A1 GTI
> -Twilite Zone - the story about the boy with the major power - the
> teacher woman drives a Rabbit Diesel
> -that Jim Belushi/Charles Grodin movie - Charles Grodin's friend that has
> too big a crush on him drives an orange Beetle Convertible
>
> -Mark
> -80 Rabbit Pickup
> -82 Rabbit Convertible
> --
> The best way to a man's heart is through his ribcage - Atilla the Hunps. In Major League, Willy Mays Hayes shows up in a Beetle with the Rolls
Royce front on it.
-Mark

Anders Skar

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

Randy Carlson wrote:

> Do you know of any movies that have had a VW in them? I am trying to put
> together a list for a future project and could certainly use your help.
> So what movie? and what VW?

Add "Mad Love" with Drew Barrymore to that list. She drives an orange
1600cc bug. (1303S).

Anders Skar - ander...@login.eunet.no
'73 Super Beetle

Garry Tarr

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

Who can forget the Beetle convertible in
Woody Allen's Annie Hall?

yale jay lubkin

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

Red Dawn- Bus
1969- Bus
How to make an American Quilt- Bus

Avram
69 Westy

hall...@aol.com

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

I'm not sure of the title (Witness?) but Harrison Ford, in the movie where
he is hiding from the mob in Amish country, drives a squareback and in one
scene is working on it in the barn.

Bob
'70 non-pop Westy

RD Rick

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

In <19961130121...@ladder01.news.aol.com> hall...@aol.com
writes:

>I'm not sure of the title (Witness?) but Harrison Ford, in the movie
where he is hiding from the mob in Amish country, drives a squareback
>and in one scene is working on it in the barn.

Yes it was Witness. The car wouldn't run during most of the movie.
He got it going just in time.. I believe it was a type 4, and it's
probably the only movie with so much footage of a squareback.

For those who haven't seen it, it's is a good movie, and worth renting.
RD

Bruce A. Conway

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

In the movie "Foul Play" Goldie Hawn is driving a late beetle
convertible for about the first 10 minutes.

myvws...@aol.com

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

In article <57p9ir$l...@sjx-ixn6.ix.netcom.com>, rick...@ix.netcom.com(RD
Rick) writes:

It was a Type 3 Squareback, light blue, about a '71, I'd say.
Had the square bumpers and big taillights. Almost got him
killed when it wouldn't start! I kept thinking "they're gonna
shoot up that car" but fortunately the writers let it live!
Rob

Rob <--- 74 Sun Bug, 66 Sunroof Bug, 71 Notchback

ag...@sprynet.com

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

The movie with Kevin Bacon and the yellow VW bug in NY is called "Brooklyn Bridge". Also stars John Malkovich, Ken Olin, and
Joe Montagna. Just saw it on TV a week ago.....

There was also a recent movie with Sandra Bullock, Tim Machonahe(?), and Samuel Jackson...forgotten what is called....but she
drives a KG convertible.

> Whippet <pes...@iconn.net> writes:

> > > I just saw part of a movie with Kevin Bacon in it
> > > and he drive a bug.. It was something about NY in the title..
> > >
> > > I will look on IMDB and get back to you...
> > >

> > > Ross Warren
> > > '74 Super
> > >Are we limiting this to air-cooled or including the whole VW line.

Gerard Stutje

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

In article <19961129165...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, From
jcran...@aol.com, the following was written:

> When I was younger ( a lot younger ) growing up in So. Cal., the late
> Steve McQueen was rumored to have taken a ' vert ( year unknown ) and
> somehow stuffed a 351 Ford into it.

I seem to remember from those days, people were talking about a reversed
911 drivetrain, the engine sits where the rearseat was.

> Don't know if it's true or not,

Me neither as far as Steve McQueen is concerned, but in Holland I have
seen both a bus and 2 bugs (non convertibles!) with that setup. C:-))

It was even done with the "regular" 4 bangers for rally-cross, it is
said to give superb handling.

Timothy Gillespie

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

In message <57o0e5$8...@bertrand.ccs.carleton.ca>
n...@doe.carleton.ca (Garry Tarr) writes:

> Who can forget the Beetle convertible in
> Woody Allen's Annie Hall?

And another Woody Allen: Sleeper, where WA gets into a beetle
that's been standing for 2000 years (or something) and it
starts first time.

Tim.

fra...@ix.netcom.com

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

endless summer bug
endless summer II vanagon, dune buggy
teenage mutant ninja turtles van
what's that movie w/ john cusak chasing his girlfriend around the
carib.-thing,cool type 2

drew.sent.this

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

also
with kevin bacon..."Whitewater summer" he drives a splittie

its a crappy movie...but a nice bus

peace

drew
On 29 Nov 1996,
Ross Warren wrote:

> In article <329D54...@earthlink.net>, Randy Carlson

> <bug...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > Do you know of any movies that have had a VW in them? I am trying to put
> > together a list for a future project and could certainly use your help.
> > So what movie? and what VW?
> >

> > Here is the list that I have so far...
> >
> > Herbie of course
> > Back to the Future= bus
> > Pretty in Pink= ghia
> > Footloose= bug
> > Sleeper= bug
> > Money Pit= bug (all lit up)
> > Uncle Buck= bug (clown car)
> > The Bellboy(Jerry Lewis)= bug
> > Fast Times at Ridgemont High= bus
> >

> I just saw part of a movie with Kevin Bacon in it
> and he drive a bug.. It was something about NY in the title..
>
> I will look on IMDB and get back to you...
>

> Ross Warren
> '74 Super

..ed$$$$$be..
.d$$$$$$$$$$$$$$c nine planets round the sun
.$$$$P"" $$$ ""*$$$$c only one does the sun embrace
z$$$*" $$$ *$$$e upon this watered one
z$$$" $$$ ^$$$L so much we take for granted
$$$F $$$ '$$$
4$$$ d$$$$. $$$F so let us sleep outside tonight
4$$$ .$$$$$$$e $$$F lay down in our mother's arms
$$$r d$$P$$$$$$$. .$$$" for here we can rest safely
*$$$..$$$" $$$ "$$$e $$$P
*$$$$$P" $$$ ^*$$$$$$ ~d.matthews-- one sweet world
*$$$$c. $$$ .z$$$$P ________________________ _______
^*$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$P" /drew.l...@wmich.edu / /_______\
"*$$$$$$$$$*"" /60+hours d.m.b / |_______|
""""" /150+hours phish / | O O |
/45+hours dead / | v |
/ 78westy-->"Lily" / |___W___|
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [=======]
U U

Jason LeBouef

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

jcran...@aol.com wrote:

> At least Newman keep his German.
> When I was younger ( a lot younger ) growing up in So. Cal., the late
> Steve McQueen was rumored to have taken a ' vert ( year unknown ) and
> somehow stuffed a 351 Ford into it. Don't know if it's true or not, but
> that was the story floating around at the old Horespower Engineering shop
> in the mid 60's.
>
> Jon
>
> ' 69 Baja
> ' 71 Bus
> ' 64 Camper

Gremlins move -1984
Billy drove a white (I think) Beetle.

http://www4.linknet.net/jlebouef

jud...@aol.com

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

You can add Apollo 11, and Mr. Holland's Opus.

yale jay lubkin

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

I saw a movie today with two differant bugs and a bus if you look really,
really close, Some Kind of Wonderful, with Lea Thompson.

There's also a really cute car shown alot, but i don't know what kind,
it's small and looks european, the nameplate was covered by a pearl drum
nameplate.

Avram
69 Westy

ml...@scvnet.com

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

"Stand and Deliver" - VW bug

B.L.Wagner/J.A.Mitchell

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

On Thu, 28 Nov 1996 00:59:57 -0800, Randy Carlson
<bug...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Do you know of any movies that have had a VW in them? I am trying to put
>together a list for a future project and could certainly use your help.
>So what movie? and what VW?
>
>Here is the list that I have so far...
>
> Herbie of course
> Back to the Future= bus
> Pretty in Pink= ghia
> Footloose= bug
> Sleeper= bug
> Money Pit= bug (all lit up)
> Uncle Buck= bug (clown car)
> The Bellboy(Jerry Lewis)= bug
> Fast Times at Ridgemont High= bus
>

>If you know of any I missed, let me know, I will update the list every
>couple of days!!
>
>Thanks!!
>
>Randy Carlson
>65 Vert
>67 Panel

The Russians are Comming, The Russians are Comming is an oldie with an
oval window bug. More recently, Field of Dreams makes heavy use of a
bus.

Shad Shepston

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

Randy Carlson wrote:

> Do you know of any movies that have had a VW in them? I am trying to put
> together a list for a future project and could certainly use your help.
> So what movie? and what VW?
>
> Here is the list that I have so far...
>
> Herbie of course
> Back to the Future= bus
> Pretty in Pink= ghia
> Footloose= bug
> Sleeper= bug
> Money Pit= bug (all lit up)
> Uncle Buck= bug (clown car)
> The Bellboy(Jerry Lewis)= bug
> Fast Times at Ridgemont High= bus
>
> If you know of any I missed, let me know, I will update the list every
> couple of days!!
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Randy Carlson
> 65 Vert
> 67 Panel

Saw one just recently on Dukes of Hazard, a convertable decked out in
complete white with bull horns on the front to match Boss Hogg's limo.

Dyer Lytle

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

B.L.Wagner/J.A.Mitchell wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Nov 1996 00:59:57 -0800, Randy Carlson
> <bug...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> >Do you know of any movies that have had a VW in them? I am trying to put
> >together a list for a future project and could certainly use your help.

>So what movie? and what VW?

In "The Milagro Beanfield War" (1988) the lawyer, Charlie Bloom,
played by John Heard, drives a white, mid-sixties, microbus.

-Dyer

--
------------------------------
Dyer Lytle

Ross Warren

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

In article <32a1ced9...@news.cableregina.com>,
blwa...@cableregina.com (B.L.Wagner/J.A.Mitchell) wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Nov 1996 00:59:57 -0800, Randy Carlson
> <bug...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> >Do you know of any movies that have had a VW in them? I am trying to put
> >together a list for a future project and could certainly use your help.
> >So what movie? and what VW?
> >

> >Here is the list that I have so far...
> >
> > Herbie of course
> > Back to the Future= bus
> > Pretty in Pink= ghia
> > Footloose= bug
> > Sleeper= bug
> > Money Pit= bug (all lit up)
> > Uncle Buck= bug (clown car)
> > The Bellboy(Jerry Lewis)= bug
> > Fast Times at Ridgemont High= bus
> >
> >If you know of any I missed, let me know, I will update the list every
> >couple of days!!
> >
> >Thanks!!
> >
> >Randy Carlson
> >65 Vert
> >67 Panel

I just saw "Vertigo" on the big screen this weekend..
Midge drives a Karmann Ghia
and if you watch the sides of the street when they are driving around
there are plenty of "Ovals" around...

Randy.. will you post the whole list ???

Ross Warren

R.A.N.

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96
to Randy Carlson

On Thu, 28 Nov 1996, Randy Carlson wrote:

> Do you know of any movies that have had a VW in them? I am trying to put
> together a list for a future project and could certainly use your help.
> So what movie? and what VW?
>
> Here is the list that I have so far...
>
> Herbie of course
> Back to the Future= bus
> Pretty in Pink= ghia
> Footloose= bug
> Sleeper= bug
> Money Pit= bug (all lit up)
> Uncle Buck= bug (clown car)
> The Bellboy(Jerry Lewis)= bug
> Fast Times at Ridgemont High= bus
>
> If you know of any I missed, let me know, I will update the list every
> couple of days!!
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Randy Carlson
> 65 Vert
> 67 Panel

Randy,

Here is a couple, but they may only appear for a short second in the
movie.

Dazed and Confused: Bus, bugs
Stoned Age: VW wagon
1969: Bus
Wild Thing: 23 window bus
Forrest Gump: Bus, bug

ryan

Edward E Buchanan

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96
to bug...@earthlink.net

On 29 Nov 1996, Ross Warren wrote:

> In article <329D54...@earthlink.net>, Randy Carlson

> <bug...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > Do you know of any movies that have had a VW in them? I am trying to put
> > together a list for a future project and could certainly use your help.
> > So what movie? and what VW?

I know of two movies that have VW's in 'em...the first Gremlins, that main
character (who can remember?) had trouble starting his beetle, and an
older movie with Mickey Rooney driving a VW beetle convertible. i don't
remeber the name, but the plot of the movie was about a scavenger hunt
across the United States. The winner recieved a dead uncle's (?) vast
fortune. Hope this helps, Ross, and good luck huntin'!

Sincerely,

Edward "Elmo" Buchanan

Mark Hagens

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

Randy Carlson <bug...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Do you know of any movies that have had a VW in them? I am trying to put
>together a list for a future project and could certainly use your help.
>So what movie? and what VW?

>Here is the list that I have so far...

> Herbie of course
> Back to the Future= bus
> Pretty in Pink= ghia
> Footloose= bug
> Sleeper= bug
> Money Pit= bug (all lit up)
> Uncle Buck= bug (clown car)
> The Bellboy(Jerry Lewis)= bug
> Fast Times at Ridgemont High= bus

>If you know of any I missed, let me know, I will update the list every
>couple of days!!

>Thanks!!

>Randy Carlson
>65 Vert
>67 Panel

A similar question came up earlier when someone just saw Doc Hollywood
and saw Michael J. Fox driving what he or she yhought was a Ghia. That
person was wondering how many other movies have Ghias in them.

Although the car driven in Doc Hollywood was a 1956 Porche 356
speedster and not a Ghia, the combined readers of the newsgroup came
up with the following occurrences of Ghia's in movies and TV programs.
- Mike Meyers drives one in: So I Married An Axe Murderer
- Robert Redford Drives a red convertible in: Sneakers
- Kramer from Seinfeld Drives a blue convertible in a couple of the
episodes when he runs away to california.
-Get Meaxwell Smart drove a Ghia for part of the TV series run.
-There's a red Ghia cabriolet ignoring Roger Moore's
hitch-hiking efforts in: Octopusy
-There's a Ghia Cabrio in: The Sculptress (BBC series)
-In the new Green Day video a Ghia gets smashed...
-In The Rock, at the end of the car chase sequence
there is a ghia wrecked in the background.
-In one of those old Disney movies, (the Kid
with the computer brain?) Dean Quimbly drives a Ghia
with a bungee cord door latch.
-.In the 1982 movie Valley Girl. (starring Deborah Foreman
and Nicolas Cage), there is a convertible Ghia.

Hank Zimmerman

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

In article <5817ol$t...@grimsel.zurich.ibm.com>, mark_...@nl.ibm.com
(Mark Hagens) wrote:

>Randy Carlson <bug...@earthlink.net> wrote:

[deletia]

>> Herbie of course
>> Back to the Future= bus
>> Pretty in Pink= ghia
>> Footloose= bug
>> Sleeper= bug
>> Money Pit= bug (all lit up)
>> Uncle Buck= bug (clown car)
>> The Bellboy(Jerry Lewis)= bug
>> Fast Times at Ridgemont High= bus

In Mr. Holland's Opus, they keep showing this 23 window bus outside of
their apartment. It is never driven, but shows up at least twice.

I think that someone already mentioned Gremlins...

TV: Dr. Louis drives/drove a nice baby-blue bug in ER.

Ghia:

>- Mike Meyers drives one in: So I Married An Axe Murderer

I was about to mention that one as well. Just watched it again.

>- Robert Redford Drives a red convertible in: Sneakers

Also in Sneakers, I believe that it is a bus that Marty tries to start in
the very beginning of the movie.

--
Hank Zimmerman maintains the comp.mail.eudora.mac FAQ
It can be found at http://www.amherst.edu/~atstarr/eudora/faq.html

John Henry

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

Edward E Buchanan wrote:

> On 29 Nov 1996, Ross Warren wrote:
>
> > In article <329D54...@earthlink.net>, Randy Carlson

> > <bug...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Do you know of any movies that have had a VW in them? I am trying to put
> > > together a list for a future project and could certainly use your help.
> > > So what movie? and what VW?
> > >
> I know of two movies that have VW's in 'em...the first Gremlins, that main
> character (who can remember?) had trouble starting his beetle, and an
> older movie with Mickey Rooney driving a VW beetle convertible. i don't
> remeber the name, but the plot of the movie was about a scavenger hunt
> across the United States. The winner recieved a dead uncle's (?) vast
> fortune. Hope this helps, Ross, and good luck huntin'!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Edward "Elmo" Buchanan

The movie about the scavenger hunt was called "It's a mad, mad, mad
world".

John H

Jorge Rosas

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

That Thing You Do! From Tom Hanks shows the main character (the drummer)
driving a Karmann Ghia convertible at the start of the movie.
I'm not sure the car is in the right place as far as model year, but
it certaintly looks good!

Jorge

Bill Collins

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

John Henry wrote:

> Edward E Buchanan wrote:
> >
> > On 29 Nov 1996, Ross Warren wrote:

most of the cars seen in traffic, in the background, etc.

Bill

Eric Rinehart

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

I've seen a movie (usually late-nite TV) called Castle Keep, with a
bunch of American soldiers in WWII Germany. One soldier *HATES* every
car/Jeep etc. they drive until he commandeers a split-window Bug, which
he falls in love with. His buddies push it into the moat of the castle
they're in, and it floats. Somehow, the guy gets into the Bug and drives
it out of the moat. Don't ask me how that worked. :-/

--
er...@braverman.com
Eric at Braverman Multimedia, Inc.

john_fracisco

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

I just saw Alfred Hitchcock's "Vertigo" on Friday night. Jimmy Stewart's
gal-pal drove a dark silver Karmann-Ghia. The movie came out in 1958, so do
the math. The car appeared to have those cute, square tail lights.

John Fracisco
jo...@seas.ucla.edu

matt...@aol.com

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

Kevin Bacon also drove a bug in Footloose...

matt...@aol.com
matt...@worldnet.att.net
'73 & '74 412
'57 Kombi

jud...@aol.com

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

Randy,I like the idea of the movies. A recent movie made for TV, Apollp
11,during the lift off a scene was shown on the beach.There were dozens of
pop up campers watching the lift off. My wife is trying to find the movie
so I can see it!.Good luck with your quest. Rodney

75 Camper

ml...@scvnet.com

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

"Death Race 2000" - most of the race cars were poorly made composite
bodies mounted on VW chassis.

Don't rent the movie to check this out unless you like really
baaad cinema!

"Cannonball run" - various VW powered sandrails and Bajas appear around
the Subaru (Japanese entry) just before it rockets into the sky.

George Lyle

John Arbon

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

The American Friend, a great movie. Filmed in Hamburg, stars Dennis
Hopper, Bruno ???, and a neat little orange oval. :)

Brian Hill

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

In article <57o0e5$8...@bertrand.ccs.carleton.ca>, n...@doe.carleton.ca
(Garry Tarr) wrote:

> Who can forget the Beetle convertible in
> Woody Allen's Annie Hall?

What about that late model T1 vert that goes into the big fountain in
National Lampoons European Vacation..... or did you know that Kelly
McGillis (of Top Gun fame) owns a 60's vert that was built by VWR&C. Or
in the movie "fried green tomatoes" the one that Bette Middler (i think)
hits in the parking lot.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ Brian Hill
_/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/ hi...@oasys.dt.navy.mil (business)
_/_/ _/_/ _/_/ bdh...@erols.com (personnal)
_/ _/ _/
I don't work for VW, I just like em alot!
DISCLAIMER: While Uncle Sam may speak for me (whether I like it or not), I do not speak for him!

er...@schunta.etc.tu-bs.de

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

Well, there were several bugs parked around in The Lost Boys. In that
Stephen King movie based on the novella 'Sometimes They Return' the
teacher drives a T2 bus or camper. Back to Future was already mentioned,
I think.

And who could ever forget the blue '69 bug that Maude stole from the priest
and painted the cristopherus plate on its dashboard in that all-time
classic 'Harold and Maude'? I did like the first hearse too, though...
anyone know its model and year, BTW?

Yours,
Erik.

leema...@aol.com

Dec 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/8/96

I think their was a pink vert in the Cheech and Chong movie Born in East
LA or something like that. Also there was a bug vert in 18 Again with
George Burns. Also don't forget Gidget with her Golf Cabrio

Bill Keating

Dec 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/8/96

Is this really of interest to anyone?? If so post it on
Moviestar.worship.stuff
--
Bill Keating <> Stillwater, OK
82 Westi

Roi Tan

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96
to Bill Keating

As a user of this group I would just assume see this type of information
continued to be post here. I am interested in hearing about movies/shows
with classic vw's so I can take a look if I wish. The title of the
thread is pretty self-evident as to its content, so if you don't care to
read don't tuen in.

Happy Trails
Roi-Tan

Diesel Driver

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

I just saw a Columbo episode this morning on A&E. It was set in Mexico,
and had Ricardo Montaban. Anyway, most of the background cars were Mexican
VW Beetles.

Roi Tan <roi...@highfiber.com> wrote in article
<32AC3E...@highfiber.com>...

Lyle

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96

Bill Keating <wil...@fullnet.net> wrote:
>leema...@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> I think their was a pink vert in the Cheech and Chong movie Born in East
>> LA or something like that. Also there was a bug vert in 18 Again with
>> George Burns. Also don't forget Gidget with her Golf Cabrio
>
> Is this really of interest to anyone?? If so post it on
>Moviestar.worship.stuff

Actually it is. I'm looking forward to seeing the compilation!

George Lyle

Edward E Buchanan

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

I don't know if anyone else discovered or shared this, but that new Romeo
and Juliet movie has a ton of mexican bugs in. I think it was shot in
Mexico, BTW.

Ed Elmo

myvws...@aol.com

Dec 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/24/96

Ah! You made me remember another FINE movie:
"Warlords in the 21st Century" features a Bug all outfitted
with armor and guns and crap to take on the evil guys in
a big space-age semi-trailer death-ray machine. The car
rolls and drives away! Of course the Beetle wins (he's
our hero!)

Rob <--- 74 Sun Bug, 66 Sunroof Bug, 71 Notchback

JCrane3882

Dec 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/24/96

I don't know if this counts but, we were just watching an old Andy Grifith
movie " The Girl In The Empty Grave " and it was pointed out to me that in
about a 30 secons street shot there were6 Bugs. Two parked and 4 driving
by.

dav...@airmail.net

Dec 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/31/96

jcran...@aol.com (JCrane3882) wrote:

1st - you can watch in ANY movie made after 1963 set in a modern time
and see at least one VW.

2nd - Marge Simsons' sisters drive an orange VW Thing !!!

Emily Conroy

Jan 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/2/97

Please excuse if someone has already mentioned, but ...

I watched The Rock last night and a cable car wiped out a little Love
Bug. Soo sad...

ITnet1

Jan 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/6/97

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, since I just joined the
thread...

But if you watch the famous chase scene through San Francisco in the movie
Bullet with Steve McQueen, the streets are FILLED with VWs. In fact, I
think he passes the same orange one at least three times.

And then, the chase climaxes in FRONT OF A VW DEALERSHIP!!

jmwi...@aol.com

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

In article <32CBCB...@WellsFargo.com>, Emily Conroy
<Emily....@WellsFargo.com> writes:

A white Ghia also went up (quite literally) during that scene. If you
look quickly before it is destroyed, you can see that it already was a
little less than a mere parts car.

But that's okay because one of the stars of "That thing you do" (Tom
Hank's recent movie) drives a convertable black Ghia. Just like that
ax-murderer comedy a couple of years ago. ("I married an ax murderer"?)
Or Kramer driving a blue 'vert Ghia when Seinfeld and his pals were in LA.

I hope one day my car is "noticed" and asked to be in a film.

Does anyone rent their cars to the movie business? I know that _old_ cars
are in movies a lot, but our VW's are getting older too. Good experiences?
Bad experiences?

No Brakes Drake

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97
My Thing and I played "Banzai Road Bandits" in the short-lived NBC
series, The Highwayman. Got a decent day rate. Free lunch, too!

The thing also appeared in a Phoenix market commercial for an auto
dealer as a p.o.s to be traded :)

Beats working for a living!

Have fun,
No Brakes Drake

Jim Heldt

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

Anybody know what type of car Maxwell Smart drove in "Get Smart" (When the
series started, not the later portion).

Hint: it was air cooled!

In article <32DABF...@asu.edu>, No Brakes Drake <daryl...@asu.edu>
wrote:

jhe...@ghgcorp.com
76 bug vert
72 bug sedan
66 bug vert (Mr. basket)
enjoying VW's for over 20 years!

Jonathan Genn

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97
Born in East L.A.  --  Bug Conv. (Pink)

jo...@seas.ucla.edu

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

In article <32db0...@news.ghgcorp.com>, jhe...@ghgcorp.com (Jim Heldt)
writes:

>Anybody know what type of car Maxwell Smart drove in "Get Smart" (When the
>series started, not the later portion).
>
>Hint: it was air cooled!

I thought that he originally drove a Sunbeam Alpine (or was it a Tiger), and
then later drove the Ghia, or was it really the other way around?

John Fracisco

No Brakes Drake

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

Jim Heldt wrote:

> Anybody know what type of car Maxwell Smart drove in "Get Smart" (When the
> series started, not the later portion).
>
> Hint: it was air cooled!

Karmann Ghia, replaced by Sunbeam Tiger/Alpine?
NBD

Bob Young

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

In the old TV series "V", I watched it last night on Sci-Fi, one of the
main female drives a White Convertable Bug. Didn't see to much of it so I
couldn't tell the year, yet.

--

Bob Young
yo...@mail.datasys.net

Paul Liebenberg

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

There are vw's in some of Russ Meyer's films, including a chase scene
involving a buggy (Beyond the valley of the dolls or supervixens i
think) Been a long time since I've seen these classics though!

Jess Allan

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

There is a lime green Volkswagen Beetle in the movie Extreme Measures. It
wins out in a chase scene. :)

Afra Tanzeem

Jan 22, 2024, 12:37:58 AMJan 22
✅🔴▶️▶ Really Amazing ️You Can Try This ◀️◀️🔴✅

✅▶️▶️ CLICK HERE Full HD✅720p✅1080p✅4K✅

WATCH ✅💻📺📱👉https://co.fastmovies.org

ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ ✅📺📱💻👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴💚 Really Amazing ️You Can Try This💚ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ LINK >👉https://co.fastmovies.org