Window Hard To Roll Up Until I Found an Easy fix

Jplikesm73vwbttl

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
Easy Fix for Window that was Hard To Roll Up on My '73 Beetle.
At least it works for me.

The driver's side window on my Beetle was hard to roll up.
I fixed it by first removing the window crank handle, the arm rest, the door
release lever trim plate, and the door panel.
Next I sprayed the tube of the widow regulator tube located above where the
crank goes, with first Valvoline Semi Synthetic aerosol and second with white
universal grease aerosol, rolling the window up and down after each spraying.
There is a slot in the tube sort of opposite the side that faces you.
Stick the tube extension of the aerosol can into this slot and spray.
This can be achieved by feeling for the slot with your finger tips and
simultaeously curve the end of the tube into the slot and spray liberally.
Have a drain pan in position below the door to catch any excess residue.
Next repeat the procedure with white universal grease aerosol. roll the window
up and down between the different lube sprays.

While you're at it, spray the door lock catch mechanism inside the door with
the valvoline spray lube.

This is a good time to replace the crank handles.
I use the heavy duty crank handles on my '73. they fit '70-'79 models. They
last a lot longer. They are made in Germany or Denmark. They cost 11.95 each. I
got them from motorworks.com aircooled.net probably sells them too.

Replace the door panel and other and you're through.
Instead of having to struggle with both hands in cold weather to raise the
window, one hand pulling the top of the window up and the other on the crank,
now it will most easily glide with hardly any effort to the top.
I usuall repeat this procedure once a year right before cold weather.
At least it works for me.

Gregg Holmes

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
to Jplikesm73vwbttl
Thats about what I did for the passenger side on my 73.
thanks for the tip.

A. Cutt

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
so how do I get that damn plastic trim off the inner door handle so I
can remove the door panel? Mine is a 72 Super

Andy

Jens-Eike Jesau

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 21:53:23 -0700:

AC> so how do I get that damn plastic trim off the inner door handle so I
AC> can remove the door panel? Mine is a 72 Super

[...]

If i got you right you speak about this plastic shell behind the
gear used to open the door ?
Pull the lever and use a small screwdriver to get the shell out of place,
there's a screw behind this plastic lining.

HTH

--
Gruss / with best regards
Jens-Eike Jesau <je...@gmx.net> http://www.jesau.de

\\ The Seventh Commandment for Technicians:
,-~~~-\\_ Work thou not on energized equipment, for if thou dost,
( .\ thy fellow workers will surely buy beers for thy
@\___(__--' widow and console her in other ways.