How fast does your beetle go?

Neil Kilbride

Jan 16, 2002, 1:56:30 PM1/16/02
I'm thinking of buying a beetle, but i've heard that they are very slow!
I've heard the 1300 engines go about 80mph, is that right? How fast does the
1600 go?
Has anyone modified there's and got a really fast speed?

Neil K

Micah Gorrell

Jan 16, 2002, 2:04:05 PM1/16/02
My '63 has a 1600 in it and I can cruise at 85 all day long. I've never had
a need to go faster.

Micah
Natalie - '63 Type I ragtop sunroof
Belgium - '74 Type I

shagadelli...@aircooled.net

Jan 16, 2002, 2:24:51 PM1/16/02
My '63 has a 1200 in it and I can cruise at 80 all day long and have
hit 92mph in it on occasion, but if you are thinking about not buying
a bug because it might not have a high enough top speed for your
liking then you'd probably better start looking at other cars. They
can be built for speed, but...

Travis (Shaggie)
'63 VW Baja Beetle in progress
Remove SPAMINATOR from email address to reply
http://www.employees.org/~travist/vw/Bug_Adventures.html

John Willis

Jan 16, 2002, 3:18:14 PM1/16/02

With the original, never been re-built 36hp engine in my 1959 I can
cruise along all day at a blazing 70mph! (Without any wind or hill,
that is!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John Willis
jdwi...@airmail.net

"Good taste is what pops up
when the imagination dies."
-Frank McCourt

BugMan

Jan 16, 2002, 3:18:50 PM1/16/02
My 'modified' 1600 got me a ticket cruizing at 87mph... I have pegged the
needle once or twice (100'ish mph) - this is of course with TALLER rear
tires,

--Eric
E-Mail: BugMan...@sisna.com (remove "nospam" to reply)
Visit My Web-page: http://www.angelfire.com/nm/GoPed/VW.html

___
/___\
(o\ | /o) 1974 ORANGE SUPER BEETLE "Baggins"
U """ U
"Neil Kilbride" <N.Kil...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

John Henry

Jan 16, 2002, 3:33:59 PM1/16/02
Yeah me too n my '57 John. May take me a good 20 minutes to get there,
but it will do it. Actually will my '50 will inch to 65 or so on level
in about a day and a half....

--
John Henry
-----------------

** Anti-Spam measures in place in return address "..and the 'two' shall
become 'one'"**

Randy in Alaska

Jan 16, 2002, 3:46:55 PM1/16/02
Mine (2276cc) will go 0-60 faster than most "muscle cars" and cruises at 80
with lots more left.....if only I wasn't at 5000rpm @ 80mph. This summer I
may try and see what it does at 7000rpm for a quick second or two (if my
math is correct I should be around 112mph). I try and keep it below
5500rpm.

--
Randy in Alaska
Aurora Air-cooled Club of Alaska, Co-founder & Co-chair

'65RHD Sunroof Bug <Jewel>
'68 Bug in progress (Baja?)
http://home.gci.net/~randyinalaska/vwpage.html

TerryB

Jan 16, 2002, 4:35:10 PM1/16/02
Hmmmm, this is all very interesting cause I have run my bug at 70mph for
about 20 minutes and the motor sounded like it was full tilt. I would be
hesitant to go over 70 in my bug. But that may just be my nerves. I don't
have any padding on my firewall and the area behind the back seat is pretty
much Swissed with rust holes, so I may be hearing more engine noise than I
should.

--
Terry B
AKA VDUBBS

64 Bug Rauchen
--------------------

"BugMan" <BugMan...@sisna.com> wrote in message

71Sandman

Jan 16, 2002, 5:10:25 PM1/16/02
Might be worth mentioning you are a long ways from stock there Randy! (GRIN)

"Randy in Alaska" <ra...@gci.net> wrote in message

Randy in Alaska

Jan 16, 2002, 5:18:49 PM1/16/02
Well he did ask if anyone had modified theirs.....<grin>

Neil, I guess I should mention that my example is of a modified (read that
as expensive) engine. So my information is irrelevant to you...UNLESS you
want to talk modifications. 8)

--
Randy in Alaska
Aurora Air-cooled Club of Alaska, Co-founder & Co-chair

'65RHD Sunroof Bug <Jewel>
'68 Bug in progress (Baja?)
http://home.gci.net/~randyinalaska/vwpage.html

BugMan

Jan 16, 2002, 5:24:23 PM1/16/02
In my car I wouldnt cruise at over 90 (just a little to "freaky")... Do you
have stock tires at the rear of your bug, or taller? Mine are taller which
makes my gearing taller which in turn makes me have a higher top end (but
slower acceleration),

--Eric
E-Mail: BugMan...@sisna.com (remove "nospam" to reply)
Visit My Web-page: http://www.angelfire.com/nm/GoPed/VW.html

___
/___\
(o\ | /o) 1974 ORANGE SUPER BEETLE "Baggins"
U """ U

"TerryB" <vdubbs.S...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Amabaja

Jan 16, 2002, 6:39:45 PM1/16/02
Hi All

Hmm from this discussion, I drive to carefully. I never go over 3400 RPM.
That is about 115kph. Got scared when I overhauled the engine, the bearings
looked too flimsy to take the force they do.

Although the fastest i have been is 125kph on a long down hill with a tail
wind :-)

Allan Pietersen

South Africa

Cornbread

Jan 16, 2002, 6:39:08 PM1/16/02
I drove my stock 1600 for 3 years and I don't think I ever went over 75. It
cruised just fine at that speed, though. Stock Beetles are slow. If you
want to go fast and not spend a lot on a hi-po motor, then get a different
car. I never though that going fast in my Bug was what driving it was all
about anyway. (PS I drive like a maniac in my Chrysler.)

John Willis

Jan 16, 2002, 7:07:18 PM1/16/02
On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:18:49 -0900, "Randy in Alaska" <ra...@gci.net>
wrote:

>Well he did ask if anyone had modified theirs.....<grin>
>
>Neil, I guess I should mention that my example is of a modified (read that
>as expensive) engine. So my information is irrelevant to you...UNLESS you
>want to talk modifications. 8)

And loads of MONEY!

arlan murphy

Jan 16, 2002, 7:17:20 PM1/16/02
"Neil Kilbride" <N.Kil...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message news:<a24icu$7rk$1...@knossos.btinternet.com>...

the really cool thing about aircooled volkswagens is the engineering
that went into them. they are relatively easy to work on and the
parts are very numerous. their engines by design are 'torquey'
without doing anything to them. build 'em for torque and the
horsepower just comes natural!
beetles (type 1's) are very light for their size. i think the 1974
hardtop had an approximate 1900lb. curb weight. this vehicle with
120hp should reach about 90mph in only a quarter of a mile. 150hp
should get you about 95mph in a quarter of a mile. with either of
these engines, the bug will pull until you start to feel the
'self-preservation' mechanism kick in.
the REAL problem with this is the SHAPE of the volkswagen type 1. the
profile of the body is shaped just like a terrible airplane wing. the
type 1 loses a lot of weight as speed increases (aerodynamic lift).
as you get up near the 100mph mark, this car will become VERY
unstable. sure, you can put spoilers and wings on it, but you had
better know what you are doing!
you won't win very many stoplight digs with a stock 1600 dual port
powered volkswagen, but put a little money in that engine and you
could easily embarrass the local vettes.

have fun!
:~)>

John Smyrnios

Jan 16, 2002, 7:27:08 PM1/16/02
Bugs are for cruising, to enjoy the ride and not to plant it in a wall or
another car.
BUT, I hot around 75 in my stock 1300 (and it DOES need a rebuild). Bugs can
go fast if you modify 'em but have thought about what happens should you
wish to stop? :p My front wheels often lock and render the system useless. I
gotta let some air out..

Cornbread <joseph...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

TonkaDiesl

Jan 16, 2002, 7:32:01 PM1/16/02
>From: "Neil

>I'm thinking of buying a beetle, but i've heard that they are very slow!
>I've heard the 1300 engines go about 80mph, is that right?

Yes they will but with alot of effort. Don't want to run it like that alot.
Just sold John C. a 64 witha 1641 that I drove 23,000 miles in one year. Now
that mother would push that car.
If it don't go fast enough for ya get a bigger moter. tony

Tim Rogers

Jan 16, 2002, 8:33:10 PM1/16/02

"arlan murphy" <amu...@ahaus.com> wrote in message

>.........snip
>
> ...........but put a little money in that engine and you

> could easily embarrass the local vettes.

...............I used to drive a chevette and it certainly was embarrassing.
It belonged to the wife when we were married. It wasn't as safe as the Olds
for her & the kids so I'd go out every day in a car that embarrassed the
crap out of me. Your insight into the vette & embarrassment thing is
remarkable!

<g>

Tim Rogers - - - 66 bug, 70 bug, 86 vanagon, 91 vanagon
t...@stny.rr.com

shagadelli...@aircooled.net

Jan 16, 2002, 8:42:34 PM1/16/02
On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 01:33:10 GMT, "Tim Rogers" <t...@stny.rr.com>
wrote:

>"arlan murphy" <amu...@ahaus.com> wrote in message
>>
>>.........snip
>>
>> ...........but put a little money in that engine and you
>> could easily embarrass the local vettes.
>
>...............I used to drive a chevette and it certainly was embarrassing.
>It belonged to the wife when we were married. It wasn't as safe as the Olds
>for her & the kids so I'd go out every day in a car that embarrassed the
>crap out of me. Your insight into the vette & embarrassment thing is
>remarkable!
>
><g>

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Nobody should have to go through that kinda pain. I
feel for ya, dude! psst! Don't tell anyone, but I drove a Yugo for
about a year...Taught my friend how to power-shift in it.
ahahahaha!!!
Travis (Shaggie the Butcher/Psycho)

shagadelli...@aircooled.net

Jan 16, 2002, 8:52:32 PM1/16/02
wrote:

>...............I used to drive a chevette and it certainly was embarrassing.

>It belonged to the wife when we were married. It wasn't as safe as the Olds
>for her & the kids so I'd go out every day in a car that embarrassed the
>crap out of me. Your insight into the vette & embarrassment thing is
>remarkable!

Hey! I just had an idea! Picture this:
Camo....baja....Yugo!!! Thoughts!?!?

Tim Rogers

Jan 16, 2002, 9:10:03 PM1/16/02

<shagadelli...@aircooled.net> wrote in message

> HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Nobody should have to go through that kinda pain. I
> feel for ya, dude! psst! Don't tell anyone, but I drove a Yugo for
> about a year...Taught my friend how to power-shift in it.
> ahahahaha!!!

.................And when you did the Camo Baja thing to that Yugo, did
your fellow Yugo enthusiasts give you any Sh!+ ?

.......AHAHAHAHA !!!

shagadelli...@aircooled.net

Jan 16, 2002, 9:14:35 PM1/16/02
On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 02:10:03 GMT, "Tim Rogers" <t...@stny.rr.com>
wrote:

><shagadelli...@aircooled.net> wrote in message
>>
>> HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Nobody should have to go through that kinda pain. I
>> feel for ya, dude! psst! Don't tell anyone, but I drove a Yugo for
>> about a year...Taught my friend how to power-shift in it.
>> ahahahaha!!!
>>

>.................And when you did the Camo Baja thing to that Yugo, did
> your fellow Yugo enthusiasts give you any Sh!+ ?

There's no such thing as a "Yugo enthusiast"... At least as far as I
know... and I really don't wanna know any more on that subject... :)

>.......AHAHAHAHA !!!
>

>Tim Rogers - - - 66 bug, 70 bug, 86 vanagon, 91 vanagon
>t...@stny.rr.com

Travis (Shaggie the Butcher/Psycho)

John Willis

Jan 16, 2002, 10:24:17 PM1/16/02
On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 02:14:35 GMT, shagadelli...@aircooled.net
wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 02:10:03 GMT, "Tim Rogers" <t...@stny.rr.com>
>wrote:

>There's no such thing as a "Yugo enthusiast"... At least as far as I

>know... and I really don't wanna know any more on that subject... :)
>

>>.......AHAHAHAHA !!!

Not true. A while back the Dallas Morning News had a rather large
article that featured a large number of Yugos that had been butchered
in the name of art. Imagine a giant Yugo TOASTER!!! Now that was
cool!!!

Bill Berckman

Jan 17, 2002, 1:10:13 AM1/17/02
Tim wrote:

>...............I used to drive a chevette and it certainly was embarrassing.
>It belonged to the wife when we were married. It wasn't as safe as the Olds
>for her & the kids so I'd go out every day in a car that embarrassed the
>crap out of me. Your insight into the vette & embarrassment thing is
>remarkable!
>
><g>
>

>Tim Rogers - - - 66 bug, 70 bug, 86 vanagon, 91 vanagon
>t...@stny.rr.com

My dad bought a new Chevette in 1978, and the car later became mine in 1983.
It was not a bad car except for the fact that it went through clutches
frequently.

Bill Berckman
VW Links Page http://www.aircooledlinks.com
Check out my other webpages at
http://www.geocities.com/billberckman/otherpages.html

Bill Berckman

Jan 17, 2002, 1:16:46 AM1/17/02
Shaggie wrote:

>There's no such thing as a "Yugo enthusiast"... At least as far as I
>know... and I really don't wanna know any more on that subject... :)

I know that you really did not want to know more, but there actually are a few
Yugo enthusiasts. Someone did a Yugo links page at
http://www.hszk.bme.hu/~oj002/yugo/links.htm

and a link to Yugo art http://magliery.com/Graphics/YugoArt/

Jan Andersson

Jan 17, 2002, 3:21:26 AM1/17/02
Poorly built low budget 1700 (slip ion 88mm cyls) and 74 std beetle:
115MPH with stock suspension
and a pale faced witness riding shotgun. In the rain. At night. Yes we
were teenagers, and had zero brains. :-)

MUCH later in life, my current 67 std bug had a similar engine, way
better built, and with considerably larger budget, plus 10 more years of
engine building experience..
only got it up to 93MPH. I think that was all there was, didn't keep
pushing further becauise nothing seemed to happen after that point.

Difference must have been in the gearing. BOth cars had unmodified
transmissions.
On the 74 I went wild with compression. Needless to say, that grenade of
an engine didn't live very long.

Jan

KWW

Jan 17, 2002, 4:28:03 AM1/17/02
You too? My wife used to joke that I only married her because my bug's
engine died and I needed a car. I remind her that she had a Chevette. If
I'd have dated/married a girl for her car there were two sisters from TX at
my college, one of whom had an RX-7! (Don't recall what the other sister
drove.)

Until I installed a manual choke in it that '78 Chevette used to be hard to
start, run rich, chug, and be a total pain. After the manual choke it only
ate brakes and A/Cs.
KWW

KWW

Jan 17, 2002, 4:28:39 AM1/17/02
"cool"? Sounds toasty to me. ;)
KWW
"John Willis" <jdwi...@airmail.net> wrote in message

robin

Jan 17, 2002, 5:53:23 AM1/17/02
at this present moment in time

0 mph...... waiting for a 1600 froma camper... but then...
boy o boy... she will move....
bit concerned about my brakes though... drums allround....

--
Robin

'72 camper
'70 Beetle
somerset
England
"Micah Gorrell" <ineed...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My '63 has a 1600 in it and I can cruise at 85 all day long. I've never
had
> a need to go faster.
>
> Micah
> Natalie - '63 Type I ragtop sunroof
> Belgium - '74 Type I

Joe McGill

Jan 17, 2002, 6:55:38 AM1/17/02
I've cruised at 70-75 for 6 hour stretches in my stock '72 with a 1600.
Something about how the wind blows the bug all over the road makes me
apprehensive about doing more than 70.....

Joe

TerryB

Jan 17, 2002, 8:05:27 AM1/17/02
I should have put this in my post, I have a stock 1600 with stock tranny and
at that time I had stock tires and wheels. One concession is that my tranny
is not all that healthy as it is probably the way it was when it left
Germany in 1968 and has lost its syncros for first and second gears. So I
really doubt that the tranny is turning at its easiest potential and is
contributing to the load on the engine. I have changed the gear lube to
Amsoil and that made a big difference in tranny noise.

--
Terry B
AKA VDUBBS

64 Bug Rauchen
--------------------

"BugMan" <BugMan...@sisna.com> wrote in message

TerryB

Jan 17, 2002, 8:50:44 AM1/17/02
Oh Geez, Chevettes. That brings back nightmares of me riding in the back
seat all the way to Hartford Connecticut from Alabama and back again when I
was a young Teen. Dad had bought a Canary Yellow Chevette. Best I can
remember it like to eat starters like there was no tomorrow.

I see a pattern developing here, are we all drawn to Aircooled VW's because
of the psychological scares from being trapped in these automotive
Frankenstein's that were made by the Big Three and a few imports that should
have never been imposed on the human race?

Naw, we just love to drive a well engineered Auto!!! 8~)

--
Terry B
AKA VDUBBS

64 Bug Rauchen
--------------------

"KWW" <kwalker...@aircooled.nospam.net> wrote in message

G.W. East

Jan 17, 2002, 10:02:33 AM1/17/02
I can relate, not stock and still not fast enough ;-) hopefully I have some
1 5/8" headers coming, some day (sigh) some series 7 heads from John.

--
Till the Next Time....,
G.W. East

"Randy in Alaska" <ra...@gci.net> wrote in message
> Mine (2276cc) will go 0-60 faster than most "muscle cars" and cruises at
80
> with lots more left.....if only I wasn't at 5000rpm @ 80mph. This summer
> may try and see what it does at 7000rpm for a quick second or two (if my
> math is correct I should be around 112mph). I try and keep it below
> 5500rpm.
>

> --
> Randy in Alaska
> Aurora Air-cooled Club of Alaska, Co-founder & Co-chair
>
> '65RHD Sunroof Bug <Jewel>
> '68 Bug in progress (Baja?)
> http://home.gci.net/~randyinalaska/vwpage.html

Scott

Jan 17, 2002, 3:46:00 PM1/17/02
I just got back from a lunchtime run to Taco Hell. Jumped on the interstate,
ran down to the next exit, about 3/4 mile. Mine is a bone stock 1600 ('72
Super). Kept my foot in it all the way except for a couple of seconds when I
had to let off when a guy in one of those Ford Explorers that likes to flip
and roll around all over the road started to change lanes in front of me.
Got it to about 78 mph. It will get to 80 mph fairly easy, I've had it to
about 85 but it takes a while to get up there from 80. It will cruise very
easily at about 75, if I try to keep it at 80 seems to struggle a bit to
stay there. Only mod to the car is that I had the front end lowered 2
inches.

Scott
'72 Super (Weefer)

RSMEINER

Jan 17, 2002, 2:22:41 PM1/17/02
I got a ticket a few years ago for 85 in a 55 zone... 67 bug - 1500 motor

Randy

arlan murphy

Jan 17, 2002, 3:23:36 PM1/17/02
is that sarcasm i hear? :-)

Tim Rogers

Jan 17, 2002, 3:32:50 PM1/17/02

"arlan murphy" <amu...@ahaus.com> wrote in message
> is that sarcasm i hear? :-)

...........yes ;-)

MUADIB

Jan 17, 2002, 8:34:33 PM1/17/02
On 17 Jan 2002 06:16:46 GMT, vw67f...@aol.com (Bill Berckman) wrote:

>Shaggie wrote:
>
>>There's no such thing as a "Yugo enthusiast"... At least as far as I
>>know... and I really don't wanna know any more on that subject... :)
>
>I know that you really did not want to know more, but there actually are a few
>Yugo enthusiasts. Someone did a Yugo links page at
>http://www.hszk.bme.hu/~oj002/yugo/links.htm

ya know, I Actually "Had to Look" kinda Lik eThatnTrain Wreck
Theory....................Unbelievable!..they Are really Liking those
things..........................And Some Of them LOOK pretty Cool for
YUGO's.....................I Onc e had A Chevy Sprint.Paid 40 bucks
for it,..got Killer Gas economy( 50 plus MPG).......Drove it til the
registration ran out...............funny thing Was it Had been rolled
before I got it,........It Was gold,...So i Called it "ROLD GOLD"
just in Comparison Do i offer this info,.............Cause Some Cars
have No "CURB APPEAL" but if you had a killer App, like your
computer,..........it'd Do Nicely.

Another off the edge Story from The Great Country of TX.

Dune buggy,71 beetle,69 fastback,
71 beetle,71 Super,75 LeGrande
Parts Garage from he&%^&*
And God forbid,........an '85 Celebrity Eurosport

When NOT gone,...... I can be reached.

MUADIB

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/ssterile/SSTWEBQ.html

shagadelli...@aircooled.net

Jan 17, 2002, 8:38:07 PM1/17/02
On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 01:34:33 GMT, MUADIB <SSTERR...@ATTBI.COM>
wrote:

>ya know, I Actually "Had to Look" kinda Lik eThatnTrain Wreck
>Theory....................Unbelievable!..they Are really Liking those
>things..........................And Some Of them LOOK pretty Cool for
>YUGO's.....................I Onc e had A Chevy Sprint.Paid 40 bucks
>for it,..got Killer Gas economy( 50 plus MPG).......Drove it til the
>registration ran out...............funny thing Was it Had been rolled
>before I got it,........It Was gold,...So i Called it "ROLD GOLD"
>just in Comparison Do i offer this info,.............Cause Some Cars
>have No "CURB APPEAL" but if you had a killer App, like your
>computer,..........it'd Do Nicely.

Well..........That IS .................PRETTY
....interesting.....that You thINK
that...........I..love...........THIs newsGROUP
becauSE.............there are so
many...........................different kinds of PEOple in here and I
like
to....................................................................................................................................................................................................................HeaR
EVERyone's OPinioN. :-)

Travis (Shaggie the Redneck Psycho Butcher)

dacosper

Jan 17, 2002, 9:21:24 PM1/17/02
Has anyone mentioned the speedometer error factor? I saw something about
115mph with a mild motor. Most speedos are pretty optimistic. Look at the
rmp's and doo the math is the way I figure it out. Or get pulled over and
you will know exactly how fast you were going...LOL

shagadelli...@aircooled.net

Jan 17, 2002, 9:39:08 PM1/17/02

heh heh
Yeah, as if a cop would know. I got pulled over one time in my '73
Super with a stock 1600 for doing about 87mph. The cop said "What do
you have in that thing!?!?!? A V8!?!?!" There was no decklid on my
car so it was easy enough to count the spark plug wires. Being the
idiot that I was/am I said "Count the spark plug wires." Somehow I
still got away with only a warning. I think he thought he was on
Candid Camera or something. hahahaha! Cops make me laugh. They
amuse me... like a clown... :-)

chris perdue

Jan 17, 2002, 9:46:54 PM1/17/02
>Yeah, as if a cop would know. I got pulled over one time in my '73
>Super with a stock 1600 for doing about 87mph. The cop said "What do
>you have in that thing!?!?!? A V8!?!?!" There was no decklid on my
>car so it was easy enough to count the spark plug wires. Being the
>idiot that I was/am I said "Count the spark plug wires." Somehow I
>still got away with only a warning. I think he thought he was on
>Candid Camera or something. hahahaha! Cops make me laugh. They
>amuse me... like a clown... :-)
>
>Travis (Shaggie the Redneck Psycho Butcher)
>'63 VW Baja Beetle in progress
>Remove SPAMINATOR from email address to reply
>http://www.employees.org/~travist/vw/Bug_Adventures.html

i am not so amused by one of roanokes local police officers...i was cruising
along at a blazing 46 mph in my bmw and got a ticket for 64 in a 45 zone....had
speedometer calibrated and guess how fast i am going when my speedo says 46....
yup it is off i was actually doing a lightning fast 42!!!! if only cruise
control could talk i would have it made...

chris
68 bug in the process
69bug depanned and loaded to be scrapped
74 bug shivering cause it knows its next!!
(remove "puter" to reply)

Jan Andersson

Jan 18, 2002, 4:33:36 AM1/18/02
Have had my speedometers checked on all bugs, they are all PERFECT up to
50mph. NO error.
at 60mph it's almost the same, like less than 1mph tolerance.

115MPH=185kph, my 74 Euro beetle speedometer scale ends at 160kph, and I
had the needle just about touching the little stopper pin at zero. On
the wrong side of course. Close estimate was 185kph by everyone I asked
about it.

Jan

Jan Andersson

Jan 18, 2002, 4:42:37 AM1/18/02
ROTF....LM...........AO!!!

JaN

shagadelli...@aircooled.net

Jan 18, 2002, 7:49:46 AM1/18/02
On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:33:36 GMT, Jan Andersson
<bug...@rocketmail.com> wrote:

>Have had my speedometers checked on all bugs, they are all PERFECT up to
>50mph. NO error.
>at 60mph it's almost the same, like less than 1mph tolerance.
>
>115MPH=185kph, my 74 Euro beetle speedometer scale ends at 160kph, and I
>had the needle just about touching the little stopper pin at zero. On
>the wrong side of course. Close estimate was 185kph by everyone I asked
>about it.
>
>Jan

If you have a tachometer in your car then you can figure out your top
speed even if it's higher than your speedo reads. Just look at the
tach when you're doing (for example) 50mph and write down the RPM
reading. Then floor it and go as fast as you can. Once your car has
reached top speed, write down your engine RPM (staying in the same
gear the whole time of course). Then do the math. If it was 2300 RPM
at 50 MPH and at top speed you were taching 4600 RPM then your speed
was (4600/2300)*50=100MPH. Not bad for a bug. ;-)

John Stafford

Jan 18, 2002, 8:43:43 AM1/18/02
Back to the original query: In my humble opinion, the Bug is just
plain aerodynamically botched. Good for up to 65MPH without strong
head or side winds, but above that the handling is a downright
liability - compared to a body style designed for modest high speeds.

Scott

Jan 18, 2002, 11:27:29 AM1/18/02
That's just too funny, Shaggie.

Scott
'72 Super (Weefer)

<shagadelli...@aircooled.net> wrote in message

Clare

Jan 18, 2002, 9:37:30 AM1/18/02
"Neil Kilbride" <N.Kil...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message news:<a24icu$7rk$1...@knossos.btinternet.com>...
> I'm thinking of buying a beetle, but i've heard that they are very slow!
> I've heard the 1300 engines go about 80mph, is that right? How fast does the
> 1600 go?

I've got a 1500 engine and I don't like to go faster than 65mph. I
usually stick to 60mph on the motorway, because I'm very aware of how
old everything else and I'm petrified of something breaking. Plus I
have drum brakes and I'm not very confident in their ability to stop a
car going that fast. I once got up to about 68mph and it didn't seem
like I had any more acceleration after that (would this have anything
to do with me having a 1300 transmission?), although the car wasn't
shaking as if was about to fall apart like my Ford Fiesta did when I
took it up to 90mph!

I don't have much power going uphill either so I think my engine is a
bit worn out, it's certainly not in tip-top condition. If you're
going be to driving on the motorway or big A-roads a lot you'll
probably be best with a 1600, although don't forget that the Beetle's
top speed is also its cruising speed. Personally, my biggest problem
is getting from 0-30mph quickly, I seem to take twice as long as
modern cars! It's a bit frustrating, especially when you're trying to
pull out on to a busy road.

Basically, if you want your Beetle to be fast it can be, but nobody
buys a Beetle for its top speed :o)

Clare
PS: I have no technical knowledge.
PS2: I'm posting from work! Hahaha hehehe!

Kevin

Jan 19, 2002, 3:55:21 PM1/19/02
I've got a 1300 single port bug, and on long highway trips I average the
speed limit of about 75Mph sometimes pushing it to 80Mph, it doesn't like
the hills sometimes down to about 55 mph and below which is about when I
shift to third. Most of my friends who have 1600s don't go much faster than
80mph, the difference comes in when they do 80mph up hills where I'm down to
60 or 70mph.

Cheers
Kevin

Clare <cje...@msb.com> wrote in message

Allan Williams

Jan 21, 2002, 1:32:44 AM1/21/02
A friend of mine was doing 6500RPM in fourth with his low reving 1303S box
(with the 3.88 diff)... the speedo had LOOOOONG stopped!

Allan W

"dacosper" <daco...@email.msn.com> wrote in message